View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 03:04 PM
sophronismos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biblestudent View Post
If the LXX did exist, I don't think the Jews, the Lord Jesus Christ, and the NT writers would use a Bible in the language of "dogs". What do you think?
But the NT was written in the language of "dogs," i.e. Greek. You're not an Aramaic nut are you?

"Furthermore, did the LXX contain the Apocrypha?" The LXX that we have today does, but its a big assumption to say that the LXX we have today is the Greek translation that the apostles would have used. I figure they must have had a Greek translation or made one, but it certainly isn't the LXX.

"If I remember right, Ruckman believes that the LXX was written by Origen in his fifth column of the hexapla." Origen was revising the LXX. He took the LXX and several other Greek translations,and in his 5th column came up with his own text that was a mixture of all of them, when he like one better than the other he put its text in the 5th column. This is probably where what we now call the LXX came from. Our now LXX is Origen's 5th column, but before Origen the LXX was not Origen's 5th column, but was the real LXX, assuming there was a real LXX, and there may not have been, but there definately was a Greek translation (perhaps not called the LXX maybe not even having a name) in the times of the apostles.