View Single Post
Old 04-24-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
The ESV also is linked to the National Council of Churches.

Below is a portion of a reference site about the ESV, found here. It quotes part of an article from World Magazine about the creation of the ESV.

I do not know if this agreement required that the NCC receives royalties, but it is possible.
(KJV)Job 6:6 Can that which is unsavoury be eaten without salt? or is there any taste in the white of an egg?

(Revised Standard)Job 6:6 Can that which is tasteless be eaten without salt, or is there any taste in the slime of the purslane?

(Jewish Pulication Society OT 1917)Job 6:6 Can that which hath no savour be eaten without salt? or is there any taste in the juice of mallows?

(ESV)Job 6:6 Can that which is tasteless be eaten without salt, or is there any taste in the juice of the mallow?

Tim, at the top is the thoroughly archaic, unreadable and obsolete rendering of the Elizabethan English of the KJV for Job 6:6, "white of an egg..." Below it is the easy to read and understandable readings, the best and most understandable is the RSV(I am having a couple scrambled purslane sandwiches for breakfast this morning).

The ESV "translators" seem to compromised with this reading in adopting the one from the JPS OT of WW I.

I suppose I should do more version comparisons before I speak, I would not want to end up with mallow on my face...

Grace and peace brother.

Tony