Thread: Luke 12: 46
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 03:59 PM

POTW

I knew my answer would bring reactions like this, and this is why I was almost afraid to post. But I have provided scripture to support my view.

It was Jesus himself who said he came eating and drinking. And then he said he was wrongly called a glutton and a winebibber.

Now, do you believe Jesus ate food? Of course he did, but he was not a glutton. And I believe this verse also says he drank wine in moderation. Believe me, I had been taught in church all my life that a Christian should not drink, but when I looked closely at what the Bible says, I do sincerely believe it does not condemn very moderate drinking.

And it is no different with food, except we have to eat food to survive and do not need to drink. But to eat food in moderation is not a sin, it is necessary for good health. To completely abstain from food is very unhealthy. But to eat in excess is very sinful and harmful to the health.

I think we should go by what the Bible says, not what men teach. When the Bible says deacons should not be given to MUCH wine, it is not making an assumption that a moderation of wine is OK, it is implied and easy understood.

The Bible teaches against drunkenness. Now, I will agree, it is difficult to know where moderation stops and excess begins.

And many millions of people have a problem with alcohol (and many with food), but many people can drink in moderation. My father who recently passed away would have a glass of wine with dinner on occasion. In my entire life I never witnessed him drunk even once. He was a very sober, and self-controlled man who was moderate and very temperate in everything he did. It is the person who controls how much they drink in the end. It is similar to gun control extremists who want to get rid of all private ownership of guns. It is not the gun that causes crime, it is the owner.