View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 08:49 AM
againstheresies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Avery View Post
[COLOR="Navy"]Hi Folks,

A bit more on "study to shew thyself approved..."

======================

From Will Kinney, an excellent study, in line with the verse .

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Messia.../message/13259

So even if you thought that "study" should be "be diligent", what are you to be diligent in?? - the answer is in the verse - "rightly dividing the word of truth". That's why contextually it makes perfect sense to translate as "study".

Well if you agree that “spoudazo” should be diligent here in 2 Ti 2:15 and rendered the same way as the exact form is translated in 2 Ti 4:9 and 2 Ti 4:21, then to use “study” today would be more interpretive and less literal. The context is about being approved to God in contrast with those who are unapproved. One of the ways to be approved is to acquire knowledge (study) but it is my contention that is not all that is being communicated here. You are free to make that the only or primary emphasis, but by translating 2 Ti 2:15 with “be diligent” the exegete is free to make a case for the meaning. “Study” is more interpretive. Further my argument is that the KJV translators followed Tyndale and did not intend for this word to convey an idea other than diligence. The essence of my argument has not been addressed, and thus still stands intact.

1. The first Century Greek word (spoudazo) meant diligent.
2. In 1611 the English word (study) meant diligent
3. Today study does not mean diligent.
4. Today in this passage we should use diligence.