View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
The definition of faith in Hebrews Chapter 11:1 is perfectly clear and without any ambiguity - there is no seeing in faith, it is based solely on that which cannot be seen with the eyes, but which is believed on in the heart.
Concerning the question, what is the difference between "faith" and "belief", this seems to be the thrust of what you are saying. Your example of Thomas who said, "...Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe" (John 20:25), is most beneficial and clarifies your view.

According to the definition of "faith" in Hebrews 11:1, it is also clear to me that faith is defined by the "things" we do not see with our eyes, but yet, we believe with our heart.

I especially agree that God has, in His mercy, given us the written Word whereby we receive faith. "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God" (Romans 10:17).

To everyone who has participated in this thought provoking thread, and to those who are and will read it, I want to exhort all of us to continue, "Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God" (Hebrews 12:1).