View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
Seriously, Bro, Don't tell me that your spirit does not understand that "take no thought" when taken in context with the whole chapter means that we are not to be controlled by the worries of this world.
I understand this is the proper way to apply it spiritually to me.

But as you pointed out, the early church in Jerusalem took this very literally (and properly so) -- so literally that Peter literally had no money (Acts 3:6). This is the same setup that had people dropping dead for lying, and people literally selling everything they had.
Acts 4:34-35 Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold, And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.
Do you practice this? They certainly didn't take those commands in anything less than a literal fashion. By what authority do you not practice this?

It is in fact wrong to do this now. The conduct of the church in early Acts is totally contrary to Paul's commands:
1 Timothy 5:8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

2 Corinthians 12:14 Behold, the third time I am ready to come to you; and I will not be burdensome to you: for I seek not yours, but you: for the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children.

Unless we recognize that Paul was indeed teaching something new, there is no getting around these contradictions.

I am simply not satisfied with "spiritualizing away" entire passages of Scripture that are delivered in a very literal fashion.

Quote:
I think that "D"ispensationalists have completely misunderstood what "d"ispensation is really all about. Hint: What is the root word for dispensation? - Dispense ... to disperse or to pass out. The "dispensation of grace" referred by Paul is the special grace given TO HIM to be the one responsible to carry out his ministry as the apostle to the Gentiles. It is not the signal of a new era within the timeline of God's plan.
That's not what Paul said!
Ephesians 3:1-5 For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles, If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward: How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ) Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;
1 Corinthians 3:10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.

(Wow, look at what Paul claimed: HE laid the foundation, which others build upon. Nobody else built the foundation! Did that foundation exist before Paul laid it? How could Paul claim to lay it if it did? And who dares claim to be laying new foundations after Paul, since Paul said we are to build on THAT foundation, not new ones (later verses in the passage)?)
1 Timothy 1:16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

(Wow, another claim -- in Paul FIRST. That's what he said. Not me!)

Again and again Paul calls his Gospel (and he claims to own it) a mystery and hidden and it was for him to reveal it.