View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
Yes, it is obvious that portions of the Scriptures must be interpreted based on the time period of the passage. OT laws applied literally to the Jews of that day while painting the spiritual picture for us today. I cannot see, however, the many different "dispensations" that some of you see.
The one I am concerned about now is the one Paul says began with him:
Ephesians 3:1-5 For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles, If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward: How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ) Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;
This revelation, which Paul was given directly from God (not taught by men), began with Paul. It did not begin with John or Peter.

I am not a hyper-dispensationalist that disregards Scripture or slices it up into deli-thin slices of kosher meats. But I do recognize Paul's unique position as my apostle. Where you are rightly concerned about people losing blessings by disregarding truth in other portions of the Bible, I am equally concerned with the loss of blessing (and doctrine) that happens when people do not recognize the unique office of Paul, which no other man in the Bible ever had or will have.

Quote:
Let's pretend that you gave 100 believers who had never been exposed to any of the common interpretations the assignment of studying the Scriptures beginning to end until they were satisfied that they had gathered all that they could. Afterward you asked them to explain how the Scriptures fit together. I would venture to say that most if not all 100 would not see the dispensational prospective. At least I cannot imagine that they would see all of the little pieces that some of you folks see.
Brother, Peter himself did not even see the crucifixion of Christ after it happened, even though it was foretold in the Old Testament and even though Jesus told Peter to his face what would happen. Peter couldn't understand it even after the Lord rose. And Peter couldn't get Paul's calling in Acts either. What 100 people can "agree" on does not concern me --what concerns me is what the Scripture says, and what concerns me now is what Paul said.
1 Corinthians 4:16 Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.

1 Corinthians 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

Philippians 3:17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.
When Paul says something different than John or Peter or even the Lord in the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John, it is not because there is something for me to "harmonize," it is because there is something for me to divide.

Quote:
As for me, I am going to believe that the teachings of the NT are directly to be applied to my life, and that the principles of the OT laws are given for my learning. You folks can bypass Matthew, but I will rest in the confidence that it is written to me and for me.
I don't know how you can do that. I know you believe you should, but these are not in harmony:
Matthew 5:42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

2 Thessalonians 3:10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.
You simply can not obey both of these simultaneously. One is for you now, one is not.