View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Cloud also says

Let me hasten to say that I DO believe God had his hand upon the translation of the KJV in a marvelous way. I DO NOT believe there are any real mistakes in the King James Bible. The King James Bible has played a crucial role in the preservation of the Word of God in the last four centuries because of the importance of the English language. God gave the English-speaking people an accurate translation. I do believe there are places that could be translated more clearly. I do believe there are antiquated words that could be brought up to date. To say, though, there are changes which could be made in the KJV is entirely different from saying there are changes which must be made, or that it contains mistakes. To say that there are passages which could be translated differently is not the same as saying there are passages which contain error" (David Cloud, What about Ruckman?).

The problem with this is that passages translated differently will not mean the same thing, and so WILL contain error. I do not think that David Cloud is some wicked Bible Corrector who hates the King James Bible. Far from it. I learnt a lot from Cloud about the King James Bible (especially 1 John 5:7 and other verses). But I don't think he is right when he says archaic words could be updated.
The fact of the matter is he says that the KJB is free of error and that there is no need to do any updating because it is free of error. I don't think it is wrong to say that archaic words could be updated but there is no need. I don't think it is wrong to say that there are places that could be translated differently, but since there are no errors so there is no need to translate anything differently. I don't think there is a group of people today that could take the task, with the same confidence we have in the KJV translators.