View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophronismos
LThe Anglican was (according to you and you alone apparently) largely immersionist. What you mean is that there was a minority immersionist element in the Anglican church, because it is clearly a lie to say that it was largely immersionist!
Soph .. It is one thing to say that it is wrong, and demonstrate your reasons for claiming my statement was wrong, it is totally another to accuse me of lying, and this is not the type of forum take is very receptive to such accusations made for convenience.

================================================
http://www.tbaptist.com/aab/baptisminkjv.htm
BAPTISM In The King James Version

The reign of the Tudor family over England (1485-1603) saw many changes in the nation's religious life. It was during Henry VIII's reign (1509-1547) that the Church of England was founded in the year 1534(46). That baptism by immersion was still practiced is evident by the fact that he, his older brother Arthur, his sister Margaret, King Edward VI, and Queen Elizabeth I were all immersed(47). The turbulent era of the Catholic Queen Mary (1553-1558) was one in which only immersion was permitted(48). Christian states that "immersion was almost the universal rule in Elizabeth's reign"(49) (1558-1603) and refers to an important book entitled Reformation Legum Ecclesiasticarum which was written and published by high Anglican officials in 1571 and which required immersion for the Church of England's baptism(50).
Although other modes for baptism did start to make their way into England about the beginning of the Stuart family's reign in England (1603), King James I (r. 1603-1625), the one for which the King James Version was named, was not an advocate of these other modes(51). Anglican officials consistently fought attempts to introduce sprinkling and pouring into the Church of England during the reign of Charles I (1625-1649)(52).

46. Roy Mason, The Church that Jesus Built (Tampa, n.d.), p. 53.
47. Christian, op. cit., pp. 427-428.
48. Christian, op. cit.,, p. 204.
49. Ibid., p. 213.
50. Ibid., pp. 296-297.
51. Pendleton, op. cit.,, p. 69.
52. Christian, op. ., pp. 287-288.
==================================================

You are welcome to seek to correct any flaws in that article, and demonstrate that there was only a minority immersionist element in the Anglican church in 1611. I will be happy to consider any potential corrective scholarship, although so far I have seen none.

Whether you succeed in correction or not, you would do well to apologize to the forum for accusing me of lying.

Shalom,
Steven