View Single Post
Old 04-30-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie View Post
George, I don't want to fight with you. You are relying on YOUR intellect and YOUR opinions and don't seem to know it. It is just another superstitious misreading of God's word to say that we are not to regard the works of men who are following God and are in positions of God-given authority. If that were the case then nobody should listen to you either. You misapply "humanist" and you misapply "sophist" and you make a person an offender based on your own hidebound misreading of God's word.

Scripture is ALWAYS the final authority. But YOUR reading of it or Matthew Henry's or mine is ALWAYS a question. Your quoting scripture right and left does not convey any more than your own opinion about the scripture.
And with this lovely piece of "sophistry" you have just proven my point: You refuse to receive instruction! How can my "quoting scripture right and left" be conveying just my own opinion? Do you have a sound mind? The whole purpose of quoting scripture is to avoid my giving you my own opinion! The whole purpose is for your edification - But you refuse to receive instruction!

Quote:
Scripture is ALWAYS the final authority. But YOUR reading of it or Matthew Henry's or mine is ALWAYS a question.
The foregoing little "gem" is a perfect example of not only "sophistry", but it is also a prime example of the results of "the Socratic Method" - always "QUESTIONING EVERYTHING" -never able to come to a final conclusion (I think your term = "hidebound")

2 Timothy 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Who made Matthew Henry an "authority" over me or you? From the inception of the church of God up to the present day - the churches (all of them eventually) have always gone into "apostasy" and become "reprobate" by following "men who are following God and are in positions of God-given authority", rather than following the Holy scriptures of truth.

And finally - and I mean "FINALLY"! Your "cheap shot" at me (why me?) in your post #6, this same subject:
Quote:
(P.S. Yes, George, my "druthers" are irrelevant, I know. I could give an objective argument for all my recommendations if you like, but so could others who disagree with me.)
(which I initially let pass - considering the source) is indicative of a woman who has been "OUT OF ORDER" for some time and who obviously cannot display even the simplest of graces (respect and consideration) for the fact that I am an elder in a church and have been happily married for 47 years, and have successfully raised 7 children in the fear and admonition of the Lord).

Who are you, that every time an opportunity arises, you show disrespect towards me, but on the other hand you hold all of these dead men in high regard (as "Authorities"). Are they any better than me?

For what purpose do you "denigrate" a man (me), who is trying to follow God according to the Holy Scriptures? Are you trying to "edify" or are you trying to tear down? Are you trying to set up yourself as an "authority" as opposed to me? I am finished (for the second time) trying to deal with you. You are incorrigible. You've got a "heart problem" that cannot be "fixed" unless you work on it.

Here are some more Scriptures (right and left) for your correction and edification - although they are addressed to men, they apply to women to:

Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Proverbs 16:22 Understanding is a wellspring of life unto him that hath it: but the instruction of fools is folly.

Proverbs 15:31 The ear that heareth the reproof of life abideth among the wise.
32 He that refuseth instruction despiseth his own soul: but he that heareth reproof getteth understanding.

Proverbs 13:18 Poverty and shame shall be to him that refuseth instruction: but he that regardeth reproof shall be honoured.

Proverbs 5:12 And say, How have I hated instruction, and my heart despised reproof;

Psalms 50:17 Seeing thou hatest instruction, and castest my words behind thee.

Jeremiah 17:23 But they obeyed not, neither inclined their ear, but made their neck stiff, that they might not hear, nor receive instruction.

Jeremiah 32:33 And they have turned unto me the back, and not the face: though I taught them, rising up early and teaching them, yet they have not hearkened to receive instruction.

Aloha, nui loa,

George