View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlerMonkey View Post
The Hebrew was God-breathed, the English was man-translated. For me not knowing Hebrew, this is a matter of faith I guess. Matthew 5:18 says:

"For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."

There are no jots or tittles in English, so Jesus must be talking about the originals.
According to the following entries from very old dictionaries, I disagree. The English language DOES have "jots" and "tittles." They are found in the tiny DOT over the lower case letter i and the tiny DOT over the lower case letter j and the upper cross mark of the letter t, for some examples.

jot (n.)

1526, borrowing of L. jota, variant spelling of Gk. iota "the letter -i-, the smallest letter in the alphabet, hence the least part of anything. The verb "to make a short note of" is attested from 1721.
Online Etymology Dictionary

tittle

1382, "small stroke or point in writing," representing L. apex in L.L. sense of "accent mark over a vowel," borrowed (perhaps by infl. of Prov. titule "the dot over -i-") from L. titulus "inscription, heading."

Tittle

a point, (Matt. 5:18; Luke 16:17), the minute point or stroke added to some letters of the Hebrew alphabet to distinguish them from others which they resemble; hence, the very least point.

Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary
Online Etymology Dictionary

Hope this is helpful info.

Jassy