View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 09:16 AM

Bro George

I too want to thank you for a fantastic study. I have never been big on studying the different dispensations, and you have made it very clear and simple to understand.

That said, I tend to agree with both you and Bro Parrish. I think you have made it very clear that Acts is a transitional book. It is clear that Jesus was first offered to the Jews, and then later to the Gentiles.

But I agree with Bro Parrish that the Gospel was preached by Peter in Acts 2.

Acts 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? 38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

I understand these verses to show that Peter had convinced these Jews that they had crucified the promised Messiah. They had not believed on Jesus, in fact, they had thought Jesus a blasphemer.

Mark 14:64 Ye have heard the blasphemy: what think ye? And they all condemned him to be guilty of death.

John 10:33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

So, before this time, the Jews thought Jesus to be a blasphemer. But now Peter has convinced them from the scriptures that Jesus was indeed the Messiah promised in the scriptures.

So, when Peter said "repent", what he was saying is to change your attitude and viewpoint. Turn from believeing Jesus was a blasphemer and believe he was indeed the Son of God and trust on him for salvation. And then, as was commanded by the Lord, to be baptized.

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

And we see something interesting in Matt 28:19. Here the Lord says to "teach all nations". Now, this was written before the day of Pentacost, so the transition of the Gospel of the Kingdom to the Gospel of Grace was already begun. Perhaps Jesus simply meant to teach the Gospel to the Jews in all nations, but I think he was saying to teach the Gospel to all men, whether Jew or Gentile.

It is not that I do not agree with the different dispensations, however the lines between the dispensations are often a little blurry and even seem to overlap a little. I hope you know what I mean.

So, I agree with Bro Parrish that Peter was telling these Jews to believe on the Lord Jesus, and then be baptized as commanded in Matt 28:19.

Last edited by Winman; 05-25-2009 at 09:27 AM.