View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winman View Post
Bro Tony

Perhaps you are correct. I do know that in the OT the Holy Spirit could come upon a man and leave again as in the case of Saul.

Only, in Peter's case in Luke 22:31 the Lord confirmed that Peter had faith, and had prayed that it fail not. And as I showed, Peter had earlier confessed that Jesus was the Christ of God.

1 John 4:2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

And Jesus prayed for all the disciples (except Judas) in the garden.

John 17:6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word. 7 Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee.
8 For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me.
9 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.

This is before Jesus was crucified and resurrected, yet he says these disciples belonged to the Father and were given to Jesus. Then Jesus prays the Father to keep them.

John 17:10 And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them. 11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

I am all for rightly dividing the Word. But you sometimes just need to take God's Word for what it says. To me, the disciples were believers, they belonged to both the Father and Jesus, Jesus had kept them so that none was lost save Judas, and Jesus prayed that the Father would keep them. So to me anyway, they were clearly saved.
Win, I agree with you that you also could be right. I could be a nag and go on and on and on, I think we both have presented our views to the best of our ability and I am satisfied with that. It's edifying to discuss the Scriptures, it's edifying to have differences, we learn that way.

Peter is an interesting person to study. A fiery boaster before the arrest of Jesus, a quivering coward after the arrest of Jesus, and then on the day of Pentecost and after, somewhat improved, shall we say. Seeing the resurrected Christ must have been awesome and a powerful boost for their faith, but none more so than with us today. We have one thing on them, Win:

We have not seen, yet we have believed.

Grace and peace to you brother.

Tony