View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 07:03 PM

Default Michael Ayguan

Hi Folks,

From this book, we learn who is Michael Ayguan, rather impressively.

http://books.google.com/books?id=CD77u9SRGx4C&pg=PA81
A Commentary on the Psalms - Neale & Littledale

(11.) To my own mind the Commentary of Michael Ayguan. (+ 1416) is on the whole, the best of those that have been contributed to the treasury of the Church; though wanting the unction of Gerhohus and Dionysius, and the marvellous Scriptural knowledge of S. Augustine. To me it has been, as it were, a dear companion for the last fifteen years: during that period I have read it through three times, and each time with a higher admiration of its marvellous depth, richness, and beauty. While he draws unsparingly on the treasures of those who preceded him, more especially on S. Augustine, S. Jerome, Cassiodorus, S. Gregory, and Venerable Bede, he has much that is original,—surprisingly much, considering how many authors have devoted themselves to the same task. I employ the Lyons edition of 1673, a noble folio, of more than 1100 pages in closely printed double columns. The work long went under the title of that of the Auctor Incognitus: its writer being unknown. Michael Ayguan, a native of Bologna, was born about 1340, and entered at an early age into the Carmelite Order, of which he subsequently became General. In the Great Schism he was a strenuous supporter of the party of Urban VI., and, after a long and laborious life, died in the place of his birth, Dec. 1, 1416. Fully two-ninths of the following pages are derived, directly and indirectly, from this great work.

Charles Spurgeon references this Commentary some and Neale and Littledale are probably our one main source for English translation of the Latin work of Ayguan today.

I always get a bit puzzled and concerned when names are bandied about that we do not recognize. (As could happen when Michael Ayguan was quoted on Psalm 12.) Now we know who is Michael Ayguan, the name has a background. And here we have one of the very top historical commentators on the Psalms, and who even recognizes his name ? Yet modern commentators get involved in the most arcane and oddball theories, without the base of historic writer commentaries and history.

Next we will try to connect a couple of dots. Try to bear with, dear reader. The hope, the goal, is to make the Psalm commentary history come alive, we don't just need dry facts, we need to sense the life and heart of the men who shared the word of God. (This aspect is something I have learned studying the Johannine Comma and I believe it has wide application.)

Shaom,
Steven Avery

Last edited by Steven Avery; 02-05-2009 at 07:08 PM.