View Single Post
Old 03-06-2008, 09:05 PM

Location: San Diego, California, the most vile state in the Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Mikie View Post
Why use the name "Yahweh"? I don't find it in the Bible anywhere. I've always wondered if teachers/preachers who say, "the original something or other says this that and the other" if there comes a sense of power, authority or usefulness because they otherwise feel insecure, unsure or lacking in confidence.

When I was a child, my siblings and friends often did this chant, "I know something you don't know". I think this gave them a sense of power over me. I wonder, also, if this might be a reason for this kind of teaching I call "Bible correcting"?

Mike, I agree with you completely.
I also get the same sense that when "scholars" of the Bible claim that the Bible is our final authority, but you can't understand it if you don't know Hebrew and Greek. They tell you to go to college, learn these languages, and study the original documents.....which we don't have.
Truly, this is a very humanist (the secular, latter version) argument and instead of these people making the Word of God the final authority, the final authority is the scholars who know the original languages. They set themselves up as rulers over all Bible-believers.