View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:00 AM
BrianT

Hi Kiwi Christian,
Quote:
1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

Bro. Brian, you believe that "body" in the passage above, mentioned twice, is a reference to the body of Christ, the church, and NOT the individual Christian. So, how do you explain verse 20 where it says "in your body, and in your spirit"? You say "your body" is the church, what is "your spirit" if not the spirit of an individual believer?
I think the corporate words of Paul can also apply in an individual sense as well, but there is a reason Paul said "your (plural) body" "and "your (plural) spirit" instead of "your bodies" and "your spirits". As for "your spirit", perhaps it is the common "spirit of faith" (2 Cor 4:13), unity, truth, etc.

Quote:
I have considered what you say about the pronouns, and agree that in some verses it is referring to the corporate body as a temple, but I also believe that every Christian's body is a temple of the Holy Ghost.
I never see "a" temple (or multiple temples) mentioned. It's always "the" temple. Our bodies are members/parts of the temple, not individual temples.

God bless,
Brian