View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 10:23 AM
avbunyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1171611 View Post
Something that I think needs to be addressed is the continual importance, placed by proponents of modern or multiple versions, on the "message" or "ideas" of Scripture above the words. Jesus never ONCE taught them meanings, He emphatically spoke WORDS to them.
Thanks MC117 - can I wander in and say I appreciate you bringing this matter up. A while back I posted something similar on a "baptist" forum after getting hammered with this "message only" stuff. Below is what I posted though I feel you presented a better post - mine just had a different slant...

"A person posted somewhere a while back the quote below and it caught my attention.

“The form of the letters, the letters themselves, the set of letters called 'word' are not important. What is important is the message that God would have for us, preferably in a language that we understand.”

I vehemently disagree.

I’ve suspected the above for some time but wanted to capture it exactly before I wrote on this vital subject. No disrespect intended to this person for he appears to be a sincere brother in the Lord but this is a forum and once it is in writing figure it fair game to quote and respond to. But this person summed up the essence of the underlying concept on why modern versions have become so popular and….so dangerous. This view appears to be a modern and liberal view of the scriptures.

A message is made up of individual words.
The Lord is interested in his individual words – below can be found from running the references
* message – only 7 times
* words of Gods – 7 times
* my words – 60 times (though some here are not God’s words)
John 5:47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?
John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words:
* words of the LORD – 18 times
* words – 568 (though many here are not God’s words – I understand this)
* words of God – 6 times
* words of the living God - 1 time

If your individual words are corrupt your message becomes corrupt. Examples already given but cast aside:
1. Is the love of money “the” or “a“ root of all evil? If the “the” is right then the basis of every evil is the love of money. If so then saints have to really examine their hearts. If it is just “a” then they have a way out.

2. Is it the “faith of Jesus Christ” or your “faith in Jesus Christ” that justifies? If it is ”of” then the saint is eternally safe. If it is “in” then once your faith goes your justification follows and most of “professing Christianity believe one can “lose it” – just like some of you believe on this baptistboard.

If just the message was the issue then there would be a lot more on the emphasis being the message in the scriptures. Just like if a saint could lose his salvation then Paul would a lot more time on the subject. But guess what – in the church epistles Paul spends no time on the saint losing salvation and yet there are folks on this baptistboard that believe they can lose their salvation. It appears their message is corrupted.

Once you say only the message is important you open up the word of God to anything. If you start questioning whether it was badgers skins or porpoise skins then where will this end? Why even discuss what words are right or wrong based upon your manuscripts if only the message is the most important anyway?"

I trust the above didn't side track the thread for I've enjoyed the "chatting".

God bless