View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Steve Schwenke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Okay, Brother Steve. As I said in my first post, we cannot be someones Holy Spirit. I sincerely appreciate your passion for the subject. I mean that. And I appreciate anyone who edifies with the word of God. But this, I think, is a case of "others may" but "I cannot." When He (the Holy Spirit) leads you to do is going to always be right. I strongly urge all of us to avoid placing one another in our "frame of reference box" regarding this particular subject.

For me, when I watched the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, for example, I made many scriptural applications of what I know to be true. (Mainly, Good...Jesus Christ versus evil...Satan.) The Lord frequently brought various scriptures to my mind.

Here's what I do. When my inner man is troubled, or I discern or perceive in my spirit (which has been reborn and made new), that something--anything, is not right...I flee. I avoid it. I've often told my family, "I do not know why, but we do not need to read/watch that."

I know, and understand, others have a differing opinion and will judge and scrutinize the statement I just made. But I'm kind of weird guy anyway, I actually teach my family to pray for the anchors and the reporters when we watch the news on the Fox News channel! I pray for the salvation of actors and actresses, too.

We have tried to always teach our children the unfeigned word of truth. And have placed "Christ" over "character," knowing that if they love Jesus Christ first, they will have good character. They are all, by God's grace, involved in ministry. And they have no problem separating truth from reality. I think the head of a household or an individual should follow Jesus Christ and allow HIM to direct their paths. Just my take on it.

There are, no doubt, some grey areas that fall into the liberty category. I fully understand that. But these areas, in my view, are much smaller than most American Christians want them to be. We are an entertainment based society, so we have a tendency to justify our entertainment.

I don't think we can lump sorcery, witchcraft, etc. into a "liberty" category, because it is categorically condemned throughout Scripture. There are no exceptions made for it. There is no excuse given of "oh, well, it is just fiction. That makes it ok."

I am one of the easiest Pastors around. I don't have "lists" of do's and don'ts. I believe firmly that each of us needs to make up our own minds on certain issues, but where the Scriptures speak clearly on a subject, we MUST hearken, believe, and act. The Scriptures speak loud and clear on magic. Why are there so many KJV Bible Believers that refuse to hear the warnings?

Isa. 5:20 "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter."

II Corinthians 6 also seem relevant.

What we allow in our generation will be stepped up in the coming generations. I have already demonstrated this for you. Wizard of Oz - Lewis - Tolkien - D&D - Star Wars - Potter - etc. Every step gets closer and closer to the "dark side." People get sucked into the occult with these books (as one here has testified.) People get sucked into Far Eastern Mysticism with Star Wars and "The Force."

I see no Scriptural support for the opposition here. The weak argument of Romans 14 will not stand in this case because of the many clear condemnations of witchcraft throughout Scripture.

In Christ,