View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Vendetta Ride

Default Hey, JaeByrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeByrd View Post
Wow. That's a shocker.
I don't know why that shocked you; I notice that PB1789 like Holmes, too. Anyway, I've got good news and bad news.

The bad news: Warner Brothers is making a new Holmes movie, based not on the Conan Doyle stories, but on a comic book - - - excuse me, a "graphic novel" - - - about him, starring Robert Downey Jr. ("Iron Man") as Holmes and Jude Law (whoever he is) as Watson. It's produced by Guy Ritchie, who has apparently come unhinged as a result of his recent marriage to (or divorce from) Madonna. They're essentially going to make Sherlock Holmes an "action hero," like James Bond or Arnold Schwarzenegger. Jeremy Brett is undoubtedly whirling in his grave. The only way this could be worse would be if it were a "Shrek"-type thing.

The good news: I don't know if you're aware of it, but a very popular mystery writer named Laurie King has wriiten a series of books about Holmes, that are pretty good. In the series, however, the main character is Mary Russell, a brilliant young Jewish girl who meets Holmes after his retirement, and becomes his apprentice. (She's also a theology student.) Eventually, over the course of four or five books, the two of them .... well, never mind. I won't spoil it for you. But the books are well-done, and they're not dirty. The first book in the series is "The Beekeeper's Apprentice."

Here's a link to the author's site:

http://www.laurierking.com/