AV1611 Bible Forum Archive

AV1611 Bible Forum Archive (https://av1611.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit-Chat (https://av1611.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What King James do you use????? (https://av1611.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653)

Traditional Anglican 10-31-2008 01:52 PM

What King James do you use?????

That is what Publisher and edition is your most used King Jimmy? I am blessed to have Brevier Clarendon Edition in goatskin leather by Allan's Bibles of Glasgow Scotland, the "guts" are from a classic Oxford Reference Edition (which Oxford no longer prints) but as I understand it Allan's now has limited rights on. A good size, well made, and no self-pronouncing text, and no red letter either!:cool::):cool:

Gord 10-31-2008 02:13 PM

My first bible was the 1917 Scofield, but the print shrank and I have trouble reading it, ;) I recently purchased a PCE large print, and that is so easy to read without all the cross references and notes to take your mind of the flow of the text. The wisdom I received from the members of this forum has blessed me greatly with that choice.

SwordSearcher affords me all the notes I need in the study mode.

Traditional Anglican 10-31-2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gord (Post 10687)
My first bible was the 1917 Scofield, but the print shrank and I have trouble reading it, ;) I recently purchased a PCE large print, and that is so easy to read without all the cross references and notes to take your mind of the flow of the text. The wisdom I received from the members of this forum has blessed me greatly with that choice.

SwordSearcher affords me all the notes I need in the study mode.

???? How did the print shrink my friend??? Did you drop it in a swimming pool?:) (sorry I HAD to ask.):)

Gord 10-31-2008 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traditional Anglican (Post 10689)
???? How did the print shrink my friend??? Did you drop it in a swimming pool?:) (sorry I HAD to ask.):)

:p:D No, just the blessing of age.

Josh 10-31-2008 02:25 PM

I use a Ryrie Study Bible. I used to use a Scofield Reference Bible, but there were to many "extras" and not enought text on each page for me. And the print seems to have shrank on mine as well, must be something with those Scofields! :D

Traditional Anglican 10-31-2008 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gord (Post 10690)
:p:D No, just the blessing of age.

Messing with you my friend, as I close in on 40 (I don't yet wear glasses), I am noting some print shrinking as well. You don't know HOW much I love the enlarge print feature on my Mac!:)

Gord 10-31-2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traditional Anglican (Post 10694)
You don't know HOW much I love the enlarge print feature on my Mac!:)

In fact, I do. I recently got a MiniMac, and I really enjoy it.

atlas 10-31-2008 03:16 PM

TA,

My first Bible was a World regular KJV. World Bible is no longer in business. I forgot who brought them out. It had no notes or anything. It was a very good little Bible. My 2nd Bible was an old Scofield Bible. I have stuck with the old Scofield for years. I like it and will stick with it 95% of the time.

Atlas

MC1171611 10-31-2008 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traditional Anglican (Post 10694)
Messing with you my friend, as I close in on 40 (I don't yet wear glasses), I am noting some print shrinking as well. You don't know HOW much I love the enlarge print feature on my Mac!:)

www.macsword.org my brother, if you don't already have it. And if you have the means, check out Accordance Bible software; very in-depth and powerful, just not so user-friendly.

*loves his Mac*

(I wanted to use a little "Powered by Mac OS X" picture in my signature but unfortunately that's disabled :( )

kittn1 10-31-2008 06:33 PM

My Ryrie Study Bible and Thompson Chain Reference are fairly well used, and they also saw some rough usage when I had them at work (at different times...I spilled Cheerios and milk all over Judges in Ryrie):o I used to work in an auto parts warehouse.

Right now I'm using my Church Publishers Large Print KJV...straight text and have Scofield by the desk when I'm downstairs in the office.

Here Am I 10-31-2008 06:38 PM

My main Bible is an old Scofield Study Bible. I also purchased a hardcover Thompson's Chain Reference Bible at a used book store several years ago: it's a good addition to aid in my Bible study.

Back about five years ago, on impulse I purchased a Defenders' KJB, while Brother Hovind was visiting our church. It's in mint condition, not having been used much at all. I think the print in it is bigger than my Scofield, so I might switch over once my Scofield wears out.

Vendetta Ride 10-31-2008 09:55 PM

I use a plain old Oxford wide-margin, no notes; an Old Scofield, also from Oxford; and sometimes a Thompson. I have others, but those are the ones I use the most.

PB1789 11-01-2008 03:11 AM

T.B.S. Comfort Print Text ( Black Letter, Amen! ;)) Leather

Open Bible (Thomas Nelson Pubs.) Leather

Cambridge Concord Reference Text (Black Letter, Amen! ;)) Leather

and a Cambridge Pocket N.T. (with the original box) in my coat pocket.

LeeM1023 11-01-2008 09:15 AM

Which KJV?

There are many choices here, and I've never settled on one particular edition. The Cambridge Concord is classic, but at 56 I'm finding the print a bit too small. The Cambridge "Presentation Reference" edition, which was originally called the "Turquoise", has very clear print and good references, but like all Cambridge Bibles it's way overpriced.

I like Thompson, but honestly find it hard to use on a daily basis. It's a little too cumbersome for me to be flipping around the numbered references.

I have an old Collins "Longprimer" concordance edition, black letter, which is probably close to my favorite. It was published in the 1940s.

But the Bible I keep by my bed and keep going back to is an edition published by World (the original World, when it was in Cleveland)--it's large print with in-verse references, printed on a velvety bright white paper . . . it has a terrible coated paper kind of artificial leather cover, but the text is the best I've found. (World was eventually sold to Collins, then the whole thing was sold to a company in Iowa . . . there are still some World Bibles on the market, but I'm not sure who makes them, and they're not the same quality as the old ones.)

Lee

Traditional Anglican 11-01-2008 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeM1023 (Post 10782)
There are many choices here, and I've never settled on one particular edition. The Cambridge Concord is classic, but at 56 I'm finding the print a bit too small. The Cambridge "Presentation Reference" edition, which was originally called the "Turquoise", has very clear print and good references, but like all Cambridge Bibles it's way overpriced.

I like Thompson, but honestly find it hard to use on a daily basis. It's a little too cumbersome for me to be flipping around the numbered references.

I have an old Collins "Longprimer" concordance edition, black letter, which is probably close to my favorite. It was published in the 1940s.

But the Bible I keep by my bed and keep going back to is an edition published by World (the original World, when it was in Cleveland)--it's large print with in-verse references, printed on a velvety bright white paper . . . it has a terrible coated paper kind of artificial leather cover, but the text is the best I've found. (World was eventually sold to Collins, then the whole thing was sold to a company in Iowa . . . there are still some World Bibles on the market, but I'm not sure who makes them, and they're not the same quality as the old ones.)

Lee

Sadly, most of us are looking to Europe for well made Bibles (irony since Europe is more post-Christ than the USA) I had a friend who "dogged on me" for spending 120 bucks for an Allan's Bible....I had the last laugh, he needed a new Bible and bought a Nelson (I think) KJV, anyway, pages started coming out after 7 months. His Bible was about 50 bucks, do the math, YES, Allan, and Cambridge are pricey BUT, I am aware that good editions from these printers can hold up after 40 years of wear and tear. :cool:

atlas 11-01-2008 10:22 AM

Ta,

Quote:

Sadly, most of us are looking to Europe for well made Bibles
Maybe you need to look in the USA my friend.

http://lcbplansing.org/Home

Local Church Bible Publishers build a wonderful Bible. If you ever need a new Bible get it from them. Ask anyone, they are of the very best quality. if you want a Scofield Bible they have them from $40.00 to $50.00 and all of them are 100% genuine leather. You just can not beat this deal my friend.

http://lcbplansing.org/Bibles/Study.htm

Atlas

Traditional Anglican 11-01-2008 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atlas (Post 10791)
Ta,

Maybe you need to look in the USA my friend.

http://lcbplansing.org/Home

Local Church Bible Publishers build a wonderful Bible. If you ever need a new Bible get it from them. Ask anyone, they are of the very best quality. if you want a Scofield Bible they have them from $40.00 to $50.00 and all of them are 100% genuine leather. You just can not beat this deal my friend.

http://lcbplansing.org/Bibles/Study.htm

Atlas

Little late.:) I have my Allan's, the thing is so well made that it should be my "friend" for another forty years.........unless I jump into swimming pool with it.:D:D:D

Rolando 12-02-2008 07:33 PM

Well, I obviously own a King James Version (if not I wouldn't be here), but I don't know how good my edition is. So maybe you guys could enlighten me on how good my Bible edition is. I use a 1611 Edition published by Hendrickson Publishers. My Bible is supposed to be just like the original 1611 Edition and has side notes and a small summary of every chapter at the beginning of each chapter. I bought it at allbibles.com at U$ 55.00. So, what do you say?

Jeremy 12-02-2008 10:17 PM

1611 reprint,very cool!

As Bibleprotector has stated, it is the reprint of the 1611 Edition that was first made in 1833. i have that same 1611 reprint from hendricksons,without the original gothic text,and really enjoy reading it.

Steve54 12-18-2008 04:27 PM

Well...my first Thompson (a gift) is about 50 years old, tremendously well used, and for all intents and purposes, seems like it's tougher than a 2 dollar steak. A couple of years ago, God let me buy a top of the line TCR (leather, large print, thumb index) from Kirkbride and there is a real difference in the quality that I can see compared to other Bibles. Better leather and paper, nice type, just amazing. Since it goes everywhere with me I keep it in a cover so I think that will keep it from too much destruction. I am 54 so I expect it will be my final main gun.

BrianT 12-18-2008 04:53 PM

My main KJV is a "Hebrew Greek Key Study Bible" by Zodhiates and AMG Publishers, 1991. Key words in passages are underlined and have their Strong's numbers and/or grammatical codes provided, and the Strong's dictionaries and grammatical references are in the back. There is also a full lexicon, as well as a concordance, maps, etc. A fantastic study Bible, and you can get them at amazon for as little as $20.

Josh 12-19-2008 10:29 AM

Just thought I'd update this since I now use a Thompson Chain :)

ltpage 12-19-2008 10:02 PM

The Old Scofield

baldmedic 12-23-2008 04:09 AM

A good size, well made, and no self-pronouncing text, and no red letter either!

Why don't you like red letter editions? Just curious as some do and some don't. Thanks, Jim

Steve54 12-24-2008 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baldmedic (Post 13584)
Why don't you like red letter editions? Just curious as some do and some don't. Thanks, Jim

Jim...in the ministry that God has me serving in, I will use ANYTHING short of beating someone on the head with my large print TCR, which, if any bigger would be a pulpit Bible, to get folks going. If I have to use a good news or message bible or Rick Warren, I don't care. My job is to furrow and plant seed...God's the Gardener. One thing I will tell the folks we minister to is that, if you don't read John and Genesis 1-11 to begin with or do anything else, at least read the red print.

If for no other reason than that, the red print works for me.

Blessings...

Jeremy 12-26-2008 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ltpage (Post 13452)
The Old Scofield

I use the Old Scofield,and like the layout. I'm beginning to think we are outnumbered by the TCR crowd.:D :peep:

George 12-26-2008 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traditional Anglican (Post 10686)
That is what Publisher and edition is your most used King Jimmy? I am blessed to have Brevier Clarendon Edition in goatskin leather by Allan's Bibles of Glasgow Scotland, the "guts" are from a classic Oxford Reference Edition (which Oxford no longer prints) but as I understand it Allan's now has limited rights on. A good size, well made, and no self-pronouncing text, and no red letter either!:cool::):cool:

Aloha all,

From 1958 - 1968 I used the Old Scofield and Thompson (once in a while).

From 1968 - 1984 I used three Large Print King James Bibles (1 Nelson & 2 Collins - they fell apart :() - no notes, no references, just the Holy words of God.

From 1984 up to the present day both my wife and I have used two identical Cambridge Large Print King James Bibles - no notes, no references, just the Holy words of God. (By the way - In 24 years, they have not fallen apart! :cool:}

I will use tracts and other literature to witness to others - however I limit myself to the King James Text and will not use any other English Bible in my witness. {No matter what our motive or intentions - The end does not justify the means.}

Here Am I 12-26-2008 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy (Post 13749)
I use the Old Scofield,and like the layout. I'm beginning to think we are outnumbered by the TCR crowd.:D :peep:

There are a few of us around. :bounce:

Vendetta Ride 12-27-2008 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Here Am I (Post 13757)
There are a few of us around. :bounce:

I use both, but prefer the Scofield because the Thompson has virtually no room for marginal notes. And Scofield's cross-references are often much more reliable than Thompson's.

Of course, there's a lot of neat information in Thompson, and I love it. But there's even more (quantitatively) information in Bullinger's "Companion Bible," but I wouldn't use it as my "main" Bible. The Companion Bible would be good to have if you were marooned on a pacific atoll for thirty years - - - because that's how long it would take to get through all the stuff.

And, anyway, a lot of it is hyper-dispenational, which is kind of a bummer......

CKG 12-28-2008 10:04 PM

I mainly a Ryrie Study Bible. Good readable font, room for notes and good cross references. I don't pay much attention to the notes. I also have an old Scofield and Cambridge Bibles.

stephanos 12-28-2008 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George (Post 13752)
Aloha all,

From 1958 - 1968 I used the Old Scofield and Thompson (once in a while).

From 1968 - 1984 I used three Large Print King James Bibles (1 Nelson & 2 Collins - they fell apart :() - no notes, no references, just the Holy words of God.

From 1984 up to the present day both my wife and I have used two identical Cambridge Large Print King James Bibles - no notes, no references, just the Holy words of God. (By the way - In 24 years, they have not fallen apart! :cool:}

I will use tracts and other literature to witness to others - however I limit myself to the King James Text and will not use any other English Bible in my witness. {No matter what our motive or intentions - The end does not justify the means.}

To bad that Cambridge can't print decent Bibles anymore. I just bought their new CAMEO edition and it's total garbage. My next Bible is going to be a Lewis Bible.

Peace and Love,
Stephen

PB1789 12-29-2008 03:18 AM

Here I am---Send it to me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephanos (Post 13827)
To bad that Cambridge can't print decent Bibles anymore. I just bought their new CAMEO edition and it's total garbage. My next Bible is going to be a Lewis Bible.

Peace and Love,
Stephen

:confused: Say What ? "total garbage"..? :eek: I honestly don't think anyone has said that before about a Cambridge Bible... If there was a true defect from Cambridge, then write them a letter. The U.S.A. Distribution is thru Baker Book House. Did you tell them about your feelings ?

They first printed a Bible in about 1591--- and have been doing a good job since then. { No, I don't own stock in Cambridge Press} What/why/how was wrong with it ?

If you don't like that Cambridge Cameo, send it up here! Our book store consists of a rack or two of the paperback novels and coloring books at the grocery store. :(

Gord 12-29-2008 09:49 AM

http://www.cambridge.org/uk/catalogu...sbn=0521508800This is the one I recently purchased and quality is not at all an issue.

stephanos 12-29-2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PB1789 (Post 13832)
:confused: Say What ? "total garbage"..? :eek: I honestly don't think anyone has said that before about a Cambridge Bible... If there was a true defect from Cambridge, then write them a letter. The U.S.A. Distribution is thru Baker Book House. Did you tell them about your feelings ?

They first printed a Bible in about 1591--- and have been doing a good job since then. { No, I don't own stock in Cambridge Press} What/why/how was wrong with it ?

If you don't like that Cambridge Cameo, send it up here! Our book store consists of a rack or two of the paperback novels and coloring books at the grocery store. :(

I've had one 160 dollar goatskin reference edition come apart (well it was just starting to, and they did send me a replacement that is doing well). This CAMEO is showing signs of shotty workmanship in multiple places, but it is only a 50 dollar Bible so I'm not to suprised. Now, my old white leather text-only Cambridge is holding together quite well after much use. So it's a toss up with Cambridge. I've heard from many sources that confirm my experiences that Cambridge doesn't print Bibles of the quality that they used to be known for. The paper they use is different (it doesn't have the cambridge smell anymore), the french morocco leather is no longer soft, and the sewing is not given the attention it should get. On my CAMEO the leather lining on the inside is coming off. Anywho, I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to Bibles, so perhaps some of these things wouldn't bother others, but they drive me kookoo for cocoa puffs. I'd just love to have one Bible that is built like the Bibles of old. Hopefully, what I've heard about Lewis Bibles will prove true.

Here's a good site for Bible connoisseurs :D This guy isn't a Bible believer, but he does know a good Bible when he sees one.

http://www.bibledesignblog.com

Peace and Love,
Stephen

Samuel 12-30-2008 02:56 PM

Hello folks, this is my first post here, but I thought I would put in my two cents.

I have a Thompson Chain, KJV of course. But don't really care for the print layout.

Then just lately I found Schofield lll KJV, it has notes of course, and is similar to an Open Bible. In that it has a lot of interesting information throughout, in the form of small text boxes. And the print layout, is much better than the Thompson.

My only regret is that it is bonded leather, couldn't find one in real leather. But they say its probably good for 10 years, if so, I'm not sure I am good for much longer than that. :)

stephanos 12-31-2008 03:08 AM

Welcome to the forums Samuel. It's good to have you. By the way, you never know with a bonded leather Bible, how long they'll last. If its pages are sewn you just might make 10 years, if not, then probably not. My Nelson is bonded leather and it's about 5 years old and is holding up still.

Peace and Love,
Stephen

Samuel 12-31-2008 11:23 AM

Thanks stephanos.

The pages are sewn in, so other than having a genuine leather cover, its probably the same in other construction as the leather.

I still have my Dad's old 67 Schofield, the pages are starting to come loose, and the leather is splitting in the corners. You also have to be very careful of how you turn the pages, or they will tear. That makes it going on 42 years, and it was well used. I keep it laying around for my quick pickup Bible, so its still being used somewhat. :)

stephanos 12-31-2008 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samuel (Post 13910)
Thanks stephanos.

The pages are sewn in, so other than having a genuine leather cover, its probably the same in other construction as the leather.

I still have my Dad's old 67 Schofield, the pages are starting to come loose, and the leather is splitting in the corners. You also have to be very careful of how you turn the pages, or they will tear. That makes it going on 42 years, and it was well used. I keep it laying around for my quick pickup Bible, so its still being used somewhat. :)

Well, if you fill that Bible up with notes that you want to keep you can always have it rebound. I'd recommend Mechling at: http://www.mechlingbooks.com/bible.html. But these guys do good work so expect to pay for it. Then again, you could just buy the Limited Edition goatskin TCR Bible for less than a good rebind.

Peace and Love,
Stephen

Vendetta Ride 01-01-2009 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephanos (Post 13930)
Well, if you fill that Bible up with notes that you want to keep you can always have it rebound. I'd recommend Mechling at: http://www.mechlingbooks.com/bible.html. But these guys do good work so expect to pay for it. Then again, you could just buy the Limited Edition goatskin TCR Bible for less than a good rebind.

But you've gotta be careful, brother. If you've made notes in the inner margins, they will be lost, at least partially, in even the best job of rebinding. Rebinding gobbles up part of the pages.

:(

atlas 01-05-2009 02:13 PM

Guys,

I use a Scofield Bible for the most part. I do have a Thopmson Chain, Ryrie Study Bible, Rice Refeance Bible & a Criswell Study Bible. All AV's. I seem to like the Scofield the best and I use it 98% of the time.

The others do have some helpful notes an all. The Rice Refeance Bible is worthless and never get one. It has been out of print for years. if you have ever used one you know why. The Criswell Study Bible is also out of print. It is ok, I guess it just did not sell well enough to keep printing it.

Atlas