AV1611 Bible Forum Archive

AV1611 Bible Forum Archive (https://av1611.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bible Studies (https://av1611.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Why is this not a contradiction? (https://av1611.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1083)

Winman 03-17-2009 02:26 PM

I never thought Jonah died, because he prayed in the whale's belly. But I do believe he is a type of Christ.

Jonah 2:1 Then Jonah prayed unto the LORD his God out of the fish's belly, 2 And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice. 3 For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me. 4 Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple. 5 The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head. 6 I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God. 7 When my soul fainted within me I remembered the LORD: and my prayer came in unto thee, into thine holy temple. 8 They that observe lying vanities forsake their own mercy. 9 But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD.

Hmmm.. it does say "thou brought up my life from corruption", so you have a point there. However, Jesus did not see corruption.

Acts 2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

And in verse 10 it shows that the Lord did speak to the whale.

10 And the LORD spake unto the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land.

In Jonah chapter 4 it tells how Jonah went out of Ninevah, made a booth, and sat under it in the shadow. Then the LORD God prepared a gourd and made it come up over Jonah to provide shadow to deliver him from his grief.

I could be wrong on this, but I think that Jonah's skin was burned by the digestive chemicals in the whale's belly, so that his skin was especially sensitive to sunlight, and this is why so much detail is given about the booth and gourd providing shadow for him. And this would explain his extreme discomfort, Jonah wished to die.

Bro. Parrish 03-17-2009 03:22 PM

I think he prayed in hell, (after his soul fainted) and right after God brought up his life from corruption then he prayed from the belly of the creature.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winman (Post 16971)
"out of the belly of hell cried I... I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever...

For me that part above about the earth with her bars is the key.
I think hell may have some type of gates and bars, a prison of sorts.

His dead body stayed in the creature's belly for three days and three nights, just like Christ's body stayed in the tomb. But I think his soul went to hell and back again.
Of course there are different opinions on this, which I can respect.

I see it as the type of Christ's death, burial and resurrection, the very important sign of the Prophet Jonah (Matt 12:39-40)

That is a very good point about the digestive juices, I can only imagine how the poor fellow must have looked!

geologist 03-17-2009 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winman (Post 16914)
And Geologist, you criticized me for bringing up the Gap Theory, but then you brought it up yourself later. :)

My bad!

Luke 03-17-2009 10:49 PM

I am curious geologist, and I hope I don't start an argument, what gap theory do you believe? Do you believe the one put forth by men like Ruckman (where the earth is still young, and the gap is maybe one thousand years) or that the earth was created millions of years ago.

Curious is all
Thanks

geologist 03-19-2009 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke (Post 17011)
I am curious geologist, and I hope I don't start an argument, what gap theory do you believe? Do you believe the one put forth by men like Ruckman (where the earth is still young, and the gap is maybe one thousand years) or that the earth was created millions of years ago.

Curious is all
Thanks
Luke,

Luke,
With all respect, to both you and the majority of forum members, I am going to defer answering this, or any other question, at this time. I hope you understand.

tonybones2112 03-20-2009 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geologist (Post 16781)
Genesis 1:20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

In the above verse the Bible says that the Lord God brought forth both the sea creatures and birds (fowl) from the waters.

This is reaffirmed in the following verse:
Genesis 1:21 And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

But this verse presents an apparent contradiction:

Genesis 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

This verse says that the Lord God brought forth the fowl from the ground, not the waters.

Why is this not a contradiction?

Because the verses, as many in the Bible, compliment each other rather than contradict. Believing the Scriptures means we learn that God suspends the elements we are made of in water in order to have form and movement and function. Human beings are 88 percent water, without this water we are a pile of about 4 pounds of chemical dust. If we don't believe the Scriptures it's going to contradict because we want it to contradict. A phone book or newspaper can contradict if we don't believe it, in many newspaper's cases they often do:) Thus if we believe what He has written us then we learn He made living creatures from water and the chemical elements of the "dirt".

Another common "contradiction" is found here and is solved merely by reading the text and believing it:

Nu 25:9 And those that died in the plague were twenty and four thousand.
1Co 10:8 Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand.

How many died in this plague?

24,000 total, Paul gives us how many days it lasted. 23,000 died "...in one day...", the first day, when the people repented only 1,000 died the second, giving the total of 24,000.

There are no contradictions in the word of God, the contradictions are in us.

Grace and peace

Tony

Nehemiah 04-18-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Genesis 1:20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

In the above verse the Bible says that the Lord God brought forth both the sea creatures and birds (fowl) from the waters.

Great point geologist. . .except for one small detail: the word "and". It could be they're ("fowl that may fly above the earth") from "the waters", and then again, not necessarily so.

Quote:

Genesis 1:21 And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
Note again, the word "and"; maybe so, maybe not.

Quote:

Genesis 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

This verse says that the Lord God brought forth the fowl from the ground, not the waters.

Because here is what Genesis 2:19 (your "This verse says") actually states, "And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.[/I][/B]"

No, actually what is states is that, "THE LORD GOD. . .brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.".

The part about them being, 1) "every beast of the field" that were "formed" from "out of the ground" by "THE LORD GOD", and 2) "THE LORD GOD" also included "every fowl of the air", that HE "brought" to "Adam", in no way tells us that, "the Lord God brought forth the fowl from the ground, not the waters"!

Any "contradiction" in Scripture is Interpretive. . .PERIOD. If something in any part of Scripture, seems to be a "contradiction", then according to just THE AWESOMENESS of GOD, WHO gave/give us ALL SCRIPTURE, the "contradiction" has to be with us, rather than HIM. GOD DOES NOT Contradict HIMSELF, let alone HIS WORD!!!

Between Genesis 1:21 and Genesis 2:19, we've move a great deal from talking about "earth", and "land", in Genesis 1-2:6, to being introduced to a couple new words, "field", and "ground", both in Genesis 2:5. And there's is a huge difference in those words.

KingSolomon1611 04-26-2009 08:41 PM

Quote:

The waters were in the ground. Ground water... Sounds a little too simple. It could be the explanation of Genesis 2:5-6

Genesis 2:5...:for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.
Genesis 2:6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.

chette777 05-03-2009 02:17 AM

Quote:

what about this "moving creatures that hath life" were there some moving creatures in the waters that had not life?

I like the way God uses water to bring forth abundantly. but the Earth which brought forth is not said to bring forth abundantly just brought forth.

ChaplainPaul 05-07-2009 12:05 PM

Outstanding points made here! Fascinating thread! That's why I like studying from the King James Bible; because you can take it, look at this way and that, reflect on it, test theories with it, and it doesn't change!

This thread would make a great group discussion in Sunday school. Actually, I think I may print it out and use it as a spring board to discuss the Creation week with my children.