AV1611 Bible Forum Archive

AV1611 Bible Forum Archive (https://av1611.com/forums/index.php)
-   Prayer Requests (https://av1611.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Called to Preach (https://av1611.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786)

cb6445 12-05-2008 08:53 PM

Called to Preach

Please pray for me and my family. I have been called by God to preach (as an evangelist). I have a very time-demanding full-time job, wife, and 3 kids. I work 80 from home (one way). So, I am finding it very hard to balance all of these things. Just pray for me and my family.

Kiwi Christian 12-05-2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cb6445 (Post 12602)
Please pray for me and my family. I have been called by God to preach (as an evangelist). I have a very time-demanding full-time job, wife, and 3 kids. I work 80 from home (one way). So, I am finding it very hard to balance all of these things. Just pray for me and my family.

Can you please give us a testimony about when/how God called you to be an evangelist?

Luke 12-05-2008 10:18 PM

I am interested to hear as well. I really want to serve God. A few years back, I submitted myself to God to preach, but failed to act on that. I have no idea if I am called, but I have a desire to serve God, but I am not sure in what manner. I am trying to study to prepare myself if God calls me to the ministry. Until then, I will just continue to do what I am doing.

cb6445 12-06-2008 07:26 PM

Call to Preach

Absolutely. I actually have a copy of it on my PC, where I went and gave my testimony at the church of the young preacher who led me to Christ. I wish I could get ya'll a copy of it. I love sharing what the lord did for me and my family.

cb6445 12-06-2008 07:36 PM

Testimony

I was raised in a very violent home as a young child. My dad was VERY abusive to my mom and on cocaine 'till I was about 12 yrs old. She somehow managed to stay with him (w/God). She basically raised me, my two brothers (one of which has Downe Syndrome), and my little sister and drug us to church our whole lives. But when I was about 13, I saw daddy at home and I just really didn't want anything to do with church anymore. Started on drugs and drinking when I was 13. Started selling drugs, too. My mom and dad moved me to another school in High School after they caught me for the thousandth time. Anyway, got off drugs but still drank a lot with their permission at home. Got married at 18. Had my first little boy when I was 20. Started back smokin pot, still drank, and started takin pain pills. About 2 yrs ago, I was addicted to pain pills. Tried to quit, but it basically shut my body down and I had to get back on them. 2 days b4 I was saved, I told my wife I was as good/tame as I was gonna get. Really started questioning God's very existence. Anyway, 2 days later a 29 yr old preacher led me to Christ (he had been where I had been and he could relate to me). Anyway, I told God my life was a mess and I put EVERYTHING in his hands. Went to church the next day, quit takin pills that Sunday, no symptoms or anything, haven't touched one in 3 mos. Cut down every pot plant, even had a still where I was makin whiskey, and got rid of it. I even quit cussin, which was a miracle in itself. I cannot even put in to words what God did for me, he COMPLETELY changed my "want to." My wife has never been happier. That's all she's ever asked for 7 yrs is for me to have a relationship of some kind with God and to settle down. God went above and beyond answering her prayers and mine.

Kiwi Christian 12-07-2008 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cb6445 (Post 12660)
Went to church the next day, quit takin pills that Sunday, no symptoms or anything, haven't touched one in 3 mos. Cut down every pot plant, even had a still where I was makin whiskey, and got rid of it. I even quit cussin, which was a miracle in itself. I cannot even put in to words what God did for me, he COMPLETELY changed my "want to." My wife has never been happier. That's all she's ever asked for 7 yrs is for me to have a relationship of some kind with God and to settle down. God went above and beyond answering her prayers and mine.

Amen brother, thanks for the testimony. It sounds to me like you are a new creature in Christ, praise the Lord. I can relate personally to some of the changes that have taken place in you.

So, how long ago was it that you got saved, and exactly how did God call you into the ministry of 'evangelism'? Understanding of course that every Christian has a ministry of reconciling others to Jesus Christ, but being an actual evangelist is something entirely different.

cb6445 12-07-2008 02:53 PM

Call to Preach

Amen. That's right. Well, it's REALLY strange and unexplainable. After I got saved that night, everything seemed fine. Then, about 3 days later, I started going CRAZY. I cannot even begin to describe what was happening to my mind. It was running but I had no idea had no idea what about. I couldn't read, focus, or even function. I had cat scans, thinking I had a brain tumour. I never believed in evil spirits, but I can assure you now they are real. I just kept praying, asking God's mercy. This went on for about 2 weeks, I just thought I was going crazy, I cannot describe in words how. Anyway, one night my wife and I were sitting there and I told her if I got any "weirder" to call my dad and I was just gonna go see a psychiatrist, I had no idea what else to do. My wife was looking-up demon possession on the internet (I had no idea what else could be going on with me). I finally got a hold of my uncle who is a chaplain in the Army, and we were just talking (about the difference in oppression and possession). I was just really scared, there were thoughts of suicide and all kinds of evil thoughts popping-up in my head. I knew I wasn't going to act on them, but I just couldn't live in the mental state I was in. I can only imagine how this must sound, but anyway, my wife was on the internet (supposed to be looking-up demon junk) and she set the laptop in my lap. And it said "If the Lord called you to preach as a young man, it is unlikely he changed his mind. Even though you may have gone astray, he hasn't changed his mind. I just started busting out laughing and crying and hit my knees with my wife. She had no idea, but when I was 12 (at a youth retreat) I thought I was called in to the ministry and announced it in front of the youth group. To make sure it was of God, I fought it for 3 more months. The morning I gave my testimony at that church, I told the lord, "If this is of you, let me preach." And boy did he ever, I got off my testimony and preached a 45 min message. The Holy Spirit was all over me. It was amazing. A 45 yr old woman got saved.

cb6445 12-07-2008 03:00 PM

Call to Preach

See, the whole time I was "going crazy" the only time my mind was normal was when I was talking about the Lord, reading my Bible, or praying. I couldn't stop thinking about preaching, but didn't want to. I immediately went to my preacher and he helped me through this for about 2 months. I just couldn't get preaching off my mind and begged God to make it go away. Then I read in the bible where it says to do it willingly was a good thing, but to do it against your will would bring a dispensation. So, then I got kinda scared. I really didn't want to preach (I felt unworthy), but I realized what a wonderful thing it was and was not a burden to preach, I was still scared because I wanted to make sure it was God calling me to preach. I am VERY fearful of God. I believe my "crazy" experience was the Lord breaking me to a point I had no one else to lean on but him and it worked. No one had any answers for me, all cat scans and check-ups were perfect. I even thought it was anxiety and they gave me xanax, but it didn't help. It was GOD (and the devil was trying to keep me from him and put in the bad thoughts). I never stopped praying. I prayed 30-40 times a day. It was a scary, unexplainable experience, but I will (by God's grace) never forget it or take my eyes off the one who brought me through it ALL. You think I'm crazy huh?

cb6445 12-07-2008 03:06 PM

Call to Preach

That's how I knew God had called me in to the ministry and I told people that. When they said things like, "Well, there are many forms of ministry. You could even be a deacon or sunday school teacher or something like that" there was a voice in my head saying clear as day, "NO." That is not what I want from you. He wanted me to preach, NO Doubt. That night my wife laid the laptop in my lap, and I hit my knees crying. I began to pray. I started to pray saying, "Lord, if this is what you want me to do....." , a loud voice in my head said, "IF?" He had already done so much for me and given me so many other signs to preach. It was kinda funny really. But like I said, I am VERY fearful of the Lord and I kept fighting it for about a month or so after that night, because I just wanted to make sure that this was of GOD. Ya know?

stephanos 12-08-2008 02:41 AM

I think you need to do a few things before you jump to any conclusions. First look up the word dispensation, since you don't appear to know what that word means. Second, read what the Holy Scriptures say in regards to the qualifications a preacher must meet. I don't believe God would call a man that doesn't meet the qualifications He laid out.

You also didn't say how old you are in Chirst. How long have you been saved?

Peace and Love,
Stephen