AV1611 Bible Forum Archive

AV1611 Bible Forum Archive (https://av1611.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bible Versions (https://av1611.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Help Me (https://av1611.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231)

Jordan 05-07-2008 08:52 PM

Help Me

I am looking to order a KJV Bible but am having trouble finding one for a reasonable price on the internet. I came across a couple that I will link you too.

There's this one: http://www.christianbook.com/Christi...1&item_code=WW
This one: https://shop.avpublications.com/prod...271eb08fc34082

I'm just not sure which one is going to be the best value for me, please give me some insight if you can.

In Christ,

Jordan

Paladin54 05-07-2008 09:02 PM

Any King James Bible will be fine. All you need is the holy text itself, the extras are, well, extras. As far as cost goes, you can get a paperback KJB for $3 at a nearby store-since it has nothing that is copyrighted, just the reprinting of holy writ.

I bought and use this Bible.

http://www.berean.com/product.asp?sku=0785256199

1 map. No crossrefrences, no notes. Bible Dictionary in the back. Nothing else except inspiration.

Jordan 05-07-2008 09:03 PM

Is the text hard to read in that? Also did you visit the links I posted?

Paladin54 05-07-2008 09:11 PM

For a fellow teenager, it should be very easy to read-I can read it perfectly with or without my glasses. If low cost is what you are looking for, that's a great pick. The two you recommended look fine to me, they say the same thing.

There are a few misprints in most printings, the one that I showed you has two recorded errors. But really, they say the same thing, I would be more than comfortable to pick up any KJB and say "This is the Word of God!"

Jordan 05-07-2008 09:16 PM

Oh alright cool. Is it your regular Bible that you use?

Paladin54 05-07-2008 09:40 PM

It is.

Jordan 05-07-2008 09:41 PM

I heard the imitation leather isn't really that comfortable to read out of...thoughts?:confused:

Jordan 05-07-2008 09:43 PM

Also is it the authorized KJV version? (the 1769 version or whatever)

Paladin54 05-07-2008 10:33 PM

Technically speaking the 1611 is the Authorized Version, however, unless you like reading Gothic print (as I read a 1611 for a year, which I don't suggest) the one that I recommended is a 1873. The reason why its AV1611.com is because the 1611 was the first printing of the King James Bible. The changes in the text throughout 300 years is almost in every single case spelling updates (Fear is no longer spelled feare, and Jesus is no longer spelled Iesus, and no more do 'v's look like 'u's, nor do 's' look like 'f's.

Jordan 05-07-2008 10:36 PM

I ordered the Bible you recommended me.:)

Paladin54 05-07-2008 10:46 PM

Haha. I think you'll like it. I bought another one for my dad. The first verse I looked up is Isaiah 34:16.

Jordan 05-07-2008 11:10 PM

Quote:

16 Seek ye out of the book of the LORD, and read: no one of these shall fail, none shall want her mate: for my mouth it hath commanded, and his spirit it hath gathered them.
Amen!

Jordan 05-07-2008 11:11 PM

I have Ryrie Study Bible, but I was just really looking for a Bible without commentary. :)

bibleprotector 05-07-2008 11:11 PM

The 1873 "Cambridge Paragraph Edition" by F. H. A. Scrivener is not a normal edition of the King James Bible. Its layout, spelling, wording, italics and even underlying text differs from any normal King James Bible.

Jordan 05-07-2008 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bibleprotector (Post 4204)
The 1873 "Cambridge Paragraph Edition" by F. H. A. Scrivener is not a normal edition of the King James Bible. Its layout, spelling, wording, italics and even underlying text differs from any normal King James Bible.

What about the one I just ordered? Isn't it just the standard KJV?

Paladin54 05-07-2008 11:23 PM

Hey brother, It's not a paragraph edition, and its not by Scrivener.

I've been reading it for months and its layout, spelling, and wording are the same as other KJBs, except for a few very circumstances. It looks normal to me (as normal as King James Bibles go!)

Jordan 05-07-2008 11:30 PM

Oh okay good, I was weary for a moment there...

bibleprotector 05-07-2008 11:31 PM

I don't know which one Jordan ordered, but Paladin54 said that he recommends the 1873 edition, which I am pointing out is definitely not a normal KJB. I believe that it is not good counsel to recommend the 1873 edition (or any edition reprinting its text), especially because it is so different and against the common and traditional editions of the King James Bibles.

Paladin54 05-07-2008 11:34 PM

Bibleprotector, I am telling you that it's not a paragraph Bible. I just looked it all over and it has nothing like Scrivener on it! Whatever weirdness is in there, I do not see it. it is not a paragraph Bible.

Jordan 05-07-2008 11:44 PM

Got any pics to show me what it looks like on the inside?

Paladin54 05-07-2008 11:45 PM

Yeah, I've been trying to scan it but I know so little about computers. Give me a minute.....

Jordan 05-07-2008 11:46 PM

Alright cool! Thanks so much, I'm excited that I'll get to see what the Bible looks like before I receive mine in the mail. :D

Paladin54 05-07-2008 11:50 PM

Having a little difficulty resizing it....

Jordan 05-07-2008 11:51 PM

I think you can probably do that in Paint.

bibleprotector 05-08-2008 12:00 AM

Paladin, who is the publisher of the 1873 edition you are recommending? What I mean is that you can't just go and buy a new KJB from 1873. But you can buy new reprints of Scrivener's 1873 Edition though.

Jordan 05-08-2008 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bibleprotector (Post 4215)
Paladin, who is the publisher of the 1873 edition you are recommending? What I mean is that you can't just go and buy a new KJB from 1873. But you can buy new reprints of Scrivener's 1873 Edition though.

http://www.berean.com/product.asp?sku=0785256199

This is the Bible I purchased.

Paladin54 05-08-2008 12:04 AM

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1..._54/Jordan.jpg

Paladin54 05-08-2008 12:05 AM

Brace yourself Bibleprotector.

Zondervan.

Jordan 05-08-2008 12:10 AM

Why do you have a Zondervan one?

bibleprotector 05-08-2008 12:17 AM

Do a search of the internet or look on the Zondervan website, where you can see numerous statements that, "Zondervan uses the Scrivener edition."

Jordan 05-08-2008 12:19 AM

The one I ordered is not the Zondervan version.

Paladin54 05-08-2008 12:21 AM

I stood there in the store thinking "A Zondervan?" I had with me the list of common misprints and this one had one out of 17+. There were two Bibles that did not have commentary, one was an economy edition Thomas Nelson, one was a imitation leather Zondervan. Zondervan and Nelson both have a bad history with printing Bibles, but I suppose the main reason was that it was much more durable, thinking that I could get a better reprint when this one wore out. However, after using it, I fail to see any error that Zondervan put in here. That is, of course, open to correction from faithful Bibleprotector, if I am wrong. Since it is so useful and simple-simple meaning no cross-refrences, which could be misleading since they are not inspired, commentary, doubt-csting notes (or any notes), and the unnecessary like. Unlike other fine KJBs out there, with this one, I do not feel confident that I could literally beat someone to a pulp with it because it doesn't contain so much "stuff".

Paladin54 05-08-2008 12:24 AM

Yes, you ordered a Nelson. It is the exact same Bible (even down to the page #, 796), but different publisher.

Jordan 05-08-2008 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paladin54 (Post 4223)
Yes, you ordered a Nelson. It is the exact same Bible (even down to the page #, 796), but different publisher.

Oh ok. Well what version of the KJV do I have then?

bibleprotector 05-08-2008 12:25 AM

The way to tell that it is Scrivener's is because it has the pilcrow symbol throughout the Psalm in places where it does not belong, and Psalm 76:6, as just one example, has the word "are" in italics where (I assume) Scrivener has wrongly done so. See also "so" in Psalm 77:4.

These are a few I can tell just quickly looking at the page given above, and if these tiny differences are here (which are different to normal Cambridge, Oxford, etc. editions) there is no doubt that it will have much more.

Jordan 05-08-2008 12:30 AM

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...7_3_exc_dp.jpg

This is the one I ordered.

bibleprotector 05-08-2008 12:39 AM

Paladin, are you really sure that yours is exactly the same than Jordan's?

PB1789 05-08-2008 03:41 AM

Hello Jordan and all:--- Okay, I read all the posts and rather than argue...I went to google and typed in: Zondervan Bibles King James Authorized version and clicked the mouse---:)

Zondervan pubs. says on their own page (last paragraph) that they use the Scrivener edition.

Jordan----Couple of things for you.

A) Glad you are interested in reading God's Word! Many teenagers are not.

B) The edition that you ordered is in the mail...okay-fine. It is not very expensive, and you can always get another Bible next week/month. IF you want to compare what you get in the mail with a slightly different edition then simply (and freely) go to the front page of this website. The Bible is available online---click and read. {And tell the website owner "Thanks".}

C) If you are short on money but would like another Bible (A.V.-K.J.) look at the used book stores/thrift stores in your town/county. Many churches have switched their K.J. Pew Bibles for modern versions. You might give a phone call to a local Lutheran church (as they went to the NIV--boo-hiss!) or Presbyterian or Methodist or Congregational church near you and ask. They probably have them in boxes in the storage room. They will be hard-back and the font (size of the print) and the clarity should be okay. {Don't argue with the person at the church if you do call,,,just be polite and say "thanks"! }

D) If there is a used book store, or a Christian book store that has a Used department; Check them out for an old Oxford or Cambridge bible. The print and font is very good. If the cover (binding) is leather (it usually will say it in small letters on the back cover) BUY IT! If you can get one for less than $20.00, and it hasn't been written in and color underlined/highlighted,,,get it. The British Bible Houses make better Bibles than we do here in the USA-sad but true. Cambridge, Oxford, and Trinitarian Bible Society have nice black ink on good white paper, good font with good clarity, sewn together. They last! Make sure you can actually read the print though-no sense hurting your eyes.

E) What Paladin54 said about the 1611 is true. The letters (especially the "f" and "s"-) make the reading and comprehension a challenge. Most of us use the 1769 edition of the Authorized version. Remember Jordan; You need to focus on Christ Jesus, not go off on rabbit trails of endless disagreements. Some people on the internet love to argue about things, rather than Discuss them...there is a difference; One gives off Heat, the other gives Light. If someday (after you get some more miles on your shoes) --- you wish to read/own the AV 1611 you can get one from Thomas Nelson pubs. Right now though you need to read some from Genesis/Exodus-Psalms/Proverbs- Matt/Mark/Luke/John-Acts/Romans-Peter/John/James/Hebrews. Try a chapter from each of those during the day and night, then when you've got the basics down start reading the rest of the Old Testament...thataway the things in the New Testament will really bloom and blossom for you. Find a good Bible believing Church, that preaches Christ and Him crucified and grow.

F) If you have questions-(everybody does) about certain passages/words/places/things mentioned in the Bible, there are helpful books out there.
First thing is a Concordance. This is a list of the words in the Bible, arranged by A,B,C, etc. and order of the Books. Strong's is most peoples favorite. If you buy one-Read the Instructions on how to use it,,,otherwise you've got a big paper weight.

Next (and IMO every Christian should have one ) is a Bible Dictionary. Several brands. Smith's, Unger's or Zondervan Pictorial are full of good info to explain customs/ceremonies/cultures/clothing/food/ and many other things. {Often wondered how many church-splits could have been avoided if people would have consulted a dictionary and found out the meanings of words...instead of running around thinking that they knew some "special revelation" ..?!}

Next is a Bible Handbook. Get Halley's---there are others, but this one has been around for decades and is affordable, and useful. It gives you an introduction to each Bible book {Such as why/where/when/how Paul wrote to the various churches} . A very brief outline/commentary on each book. A brief Archaeology section and a really cool Church history section. There is also a section telling how we got our Bibles.

Hope this helps you Jordan.

Jordan 05-08-2008 11:28 AM

Yes but I didn't order a Zondervan one is what I'm saying.

textusreceptusonly 05-08-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bibleprotector (Post 4225)
The way to tell that it is Scrivener's is because it has the pilcrow symbol throughout the Psalm in places where it does not belong, and Psalm 76:6, as just one example, has the word "are" in italics where (I assume) Scrivener has wrongly done so. See also "so" in Psalm 77:4.

Most of my KJVs are Thomas Nelson or other, but I have one Zondervan, and in it there is no plicrow in Psalm 76, nor is "are" italicized in Psalm 76:6, nor is "so" italicized in Psalm 77:4. [Although spirit is lowercased in Genesis 1:2] It has the epistle dedicatory (but not the preface) and has the translator's notes at the bottom margin on each page. It's a green marble paperback that has a solid green banner across the top that reads "Traditionally Loved and Accepted" and is called on the copyright page, "King James Version, Mass Market Edition." Costs 6.99 USA.