AV1611 Bible Forum Archive

AV1611 Bible Forum Archive (https://av1611.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bible Versions (https://av1611.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Me And My Thompson (https://av1611.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816)

Steve54 12-16-2008 03:44 AM

Me And My Thompson

Hello all, and thanks for letting me in to this great site. Just was having a discussion the other day about how wonderful the KJV is and my fellow follower suggested some web sites that led me to this one. What a great place. Upon getting here and getting registered, I was led to George's most eloquent treatise on why we should all read and study the KJV. It has just led me to chime in.

The reason that I love the KJV is just that God-feeling that I get when I read it. If I read any other translation, I feel like I am not only cheating, but more importantly, being cheated. When I was first called by God, I got myself a wonderful little Bible...a NKJV...after expressing my concern over what I saw as an archaic language issue. Not long after that, a friend gave me a Thompson Chain Reference KJV Bible. I have yet to even think of looking back. God doesn't let me.

I know that sounds strange, and I would be curious to know if that happens to anyone else? The one verse that truly allowed me to see the light was John 8.32. What a wonder to know that we have been "made" free and not "set" free!!!

Thank you, Jesus...

Steve

Josh 12-16-2008 10:14 AM

Welcome!

I too have a Thompson Chain and I love it! It's the Bible I recommend for anyone getting a new Bible. No notes of men to confuse you or lead you down the wrong path, just God's perfect, error free Word(KJB), and over 100,000 references :)

So let us know more about yourself! Share your testimony.

atlas 12-16-2008 10:23 AM

Guys,

I have a Thompson Chain and I like it, however I like the Scofield better. The Thompson Chain has more references and far better study helps in the back. There is just something about the Thompson Chain I do not like. I think it's mostly because when you run the references the way he has them set out is like he is a Methodist or Pentecostal. He was a smart man no doubt about it. I also think he was a good man, just not right about a few things. Scofield had his problems also, but not as many as Thompson. We all know Dake was the worst of all.

Atlas

Josh 12-16-2008 01:21 PM

Thompson was a Methodist, Scofield was a Presbyterian. Everyone has there problems lol. I haven't seen anything off in Thompson's references so far, though I don't agree with Scofield.

Forrest 12-16-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve54 (Post 13230)
The reason that I love the KJV is just that God-feeling that I get when I read it. If I read any other translation, I feel like I am not only cheating, but more importantly, being cheated.

Thank you, Jesus...

Steve

:welcome:, Brother Steve. Indeed, it is amazing how the Holy Spirit bears witness with our spirit through the King James Bible.

Billie 12-16-2008 05:52 PM

Me And My Thompson

Welcome Steve54 :)

I also have a Thompson Chain KJV Bible, have used it for years. But when
I was first saved, I was given a Cambridge KJV Bible..and it was one I had
grown up with at home. I've always felt the KJV Bible was GOD's Word and
had used other Bibles, but the KJV Bible felt 'right' to me...and it SANG to
me:sing:...no other Bible Version ever did. :amen:

There is a company that you can check out online..they are very reasonable
and pure KJV Bible...some of the other posters here recommended it to me,
just in case you want another.;)

www.trinitarianbiblesociety.org and www.TBS-sales.org

Blessings,

Billie

Forrest 12-16-2008 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billie (Post 13287)
I was first saved, I was given a Cambridge KJV Bible..and it was one I had....

Blessings,

Billie

I love the way the "paper" in my Cambridge smells.

stephanos 12-16-2008 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forrest (Post 13288)
I love the way the "paper" in my Cambridge smells.

Yeah same. Smells like Bible :D

Peace and Love,
Stephen

LeeM1023 12-16-2008 11:01 PM

The Cambridge Bibles of old are a very different kind of book than modern Cambridge Bibles. The quality is gone . . . that wonderful smell of paper and ink is no more.

It's very hard to find a Bible today that matches the quality of printing and binding that you could find up through the 1970s . . .

Lee