AV1611 Bible Forum Archive

AV1611 Bible Forum Archive (https://av1611.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bible Versions (https://av1611.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Straining at or straining out gnats. (https://av1611.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379)

Connie 07-22-2008 02:18 PM

Straining at or straining out gnats.

Since there has been an objection to including the discussion of "strain at a gnat" on the thread about a different translational question, http://av1611.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368&page=3
I decided to start a new thread on it. It might be best to let it drop altogether but I just reread Will Kinney's article on the subject and have more to say.

I read through his entire discussion and found ONE objective statement, only one and it is not emphasized at all even by him and not even brought up by anyone here. It occurs in his article in the midst of a sea of speculative comments, opinions, guesses and suppositions, and before a long section which does not address the topic at all but attacks the defenders of the new versions instead, which is irrelevant and an unseemly changing of the subject.

Here is the one piece of objective evidence in the whole article:

http://www.geocities.com/brandplucked/strain.html

Quote:

Secondly, and more interestingly, is the work published and edited by the Greek scholar, Ward Allen. In his work, The Coming of the King James Gospels, Mr. Allen and his co-editor Edward Jacobs compiled a work of what is called a collation of the translators' work in progress. From what I have gathered from reading this work is that a 1610 copy of the 1602 Bishop's Bible was taken from the Bodleian library which contained annotations and revision notes made and used by the translators of the A.V. 1611. Hence, what Mr. Allen and Jacobs have provided for us are some of the A.V. translators thoughts on the readings in the Bishop's Bible in the Gospels that had to be changed. One of the most spectacular markings in this entire work is Matthew 23:24. Here you have the Bishop's reading, "Yee blinde guides, which straine out a gnat, and swallow a camell." Of course, the only mark left on the verse is a note altering "out" to "at." So much for a printer's error. It was a deliberate rendition.
This is CRUCIAL but it is stuck in the middle of nothing but a bunch of wild speculations. Why??? Unfortunately the statement is not clear enough to ascertain exactly what the evidence is. Some notes made on a copy of the Bishop's Bible that supposedly indicate what the translators thought must be changed? can this be verified?

If the book by Allen and Jacobs were not $40 plus shipping I'd almost want to have it just to find the reference to this particular quote which I assume they document better, but that truly would be an excessive exertion for such a small point.

But why oh why oh why is so much effort spent on speculative defenses of "strain at" instead of this ONE AND ONLY objective evidence? If this is true, and I'd love it to be true, IT IS THE ANSWER you all want, and NOTHING else anyone has said is any kind of answer at all. It does not matter that the phrase has been accepted as a proverb about excessive exertion on behalf of small problems to the neglect of great problems, it does not matter that we can make sense out of "strain at" even though the earlier Bibles had "strain out" and it is consistent with the Greek while "strain at" is not, etc. etc. etc. NONE of that matters. That's all opinion and guesswork.

But this claim is OBJECTIVE. It is THE evidence needed to support "strain at" over "strain out." It would be far far better if a REASON were given for such a decision, but IF IT IS CLEAR that it was a choice made by the translators, and I do mean CLEAR, VERY CLEAR that it was intentional, that is objective evidence.

Connie 07-22-2008 04:24 PM

Josh on the other thread has speculated that perhaps strain at used to mean strain out. Unfortunately there is NO evidence for such an idea and plenty against it. Three previous English Bibles all have "strain out," not "strain at." All the quotations given that use the term "strain at," including the commentaries of John Gill and Matthew Henry, use it in the sense of exertion or making an effort and NOT in the sense of filtering out something.

The proverb we are all familiar with has never meant filtering out to any of us and clearly did not mean that to those commentators either. We think of it in terms of exertion, making an effort against gnats, not filtering them out. Why Dr. Waite's Defined King James Bible has a footnote for "strain at" that says "i.e., out" I don't know. It seems to imply an equivalence but in fact there is no evidence that the terms were ever equivalent -- no evidence given by anyone in this discussion, no evidence in any of the links or references offered.

The two terms are not equivalent. We have accepted "strain at" for the last few centuries in the sense of making an exertion. That is not what the Greek says but if the translators wanted to preserve the commonly accepted sense nevertheless, and keep the meaning of exertion rather than filtering, and we can find out that in fact they did intentionally make that choice, then fine, but that doesn't make the terms mean the same thing.

Nobody ever read "strain at" to refer to filtering anything and you all know it.

Steven Avery 07-22-2008 05:12 PM

Hi Folks,

Connie, I agree that you are now focusing on the real important points. And your post on the other thread seemed to indicate exactly why "strain at" could easily be understood as the far more proper sense, showing the overwrought effort rather than purification or safety, thus the understanding that this fits what the Lord Jesus was saying the closest. I had held off on posting (I did post on an earlier thread on this forum on the gnats) and then your post expressed my thoughts albeit more clearly than I was thinking. And I have always focused on the little section from Jeffrey Nachimson as very helpful to getting the full historical perspective.

So as for the Ward Allen - John Bois book(s) referenced by Jeffrey (I think there are two that may be helpful, I am doing this from memory) on this issue I was also curious as to exactly what was said closer to firsthand and checked and noted the local university libraries where they are at (Worldcat is the best source for checking college and university libraries). Although it is possible some forum members can jump in with more immediate assistance. If not, I could make some real efforts to get to the one or two libraries during the next few days.

I'm not 100% sure that you are now a defender of "strain at" as the correct and proper interp, or close to that, yet that other post surely was a powerful indication that you do seem to have the gist of the matter .. strain at and strain out are not the same .. and strain at can be futile and unnecessary and overwrought efforts and thus (subject to verification) this would be a good base for understanding the physical, historical evidence of "strain at" being a deliberate and excellent King James Bible translational decision.

One point, when you say - "that is not what the Greek says" I am not sure that anyone has really looked closely at the contextual uses of the Greek word in Greek literature, the full range of semantic meaning. And even there, there may not be enough information to make any blanket statement authoritatively. And the one usage in the New Testament must be given proper contextual perspective, where 'strain at' makes a lot more sense than 'strain out'.

Generally, on such an issue, I would bypass a short note of D. A. Waite as of only minor interest, the combined internet sharing can go a lot deeper into such a matter, and you have access here to some of the most informed King James Bible defenders in the world. Matthew's knowledge of variants in editions, Brandon's page showing modern version variant omissions, Will Kinney's indepth analysis of various issues being examples.

Shalom,
Steven

Steven Avery 07-22-2008 06:03 PM

Hi Folks,

The earlier post from Connie I was referencing :
http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...7&postcount=38

Shalom,
Steven

Brother Tim 07-22-2008 06:57 PM

Connie, I will begin by saying that I do not question the KJB, even in the face of stiff opposition. Secondly, I don't know my alpha from my omega, and I have no interest in knowing. Last, I am not expecting to change your mind here. You seek for tangible proof. If and when you find it, you will move on to the next puzzling passage. There are plenty to choose from, so you will not have to make a final decision on the accuracy of the KJB based on objective proof and logic for a long time to come.

What I do want to do is tell what I believe this passage is saying. The greek-geeks can slam me, and the confusionists can scoff at my naivete, but it does not matter to me. So here goes:

Long before I ever knew that there was a supposed error here, I saw the verse in this light. The Scriptures are always self-explanatory, therefore the message must be able to be derived from the context. The phrase "swallow a camel" is quite plain wording. Jesus said that the Pharisees could do something that was physically impossible, so it is symbolic hyperbole describing the fact that they allowed serious error to slip by unnoticed. On the other hand, swallowing a gnat is not difficult at all. For someone to choke on or gag on (strain at) a gnat when swallowing said gnat would be unusual. The Pharisees choked on (were strained to allow past, couldn't swallow) the tiniest of violation of rules while letting the important things, greatest commandments, be ignored. This can clearly be seen when the whole dialogue is read.

Yea, yea, I know that the greekies will say that the greek word translated "strain" means "filter" and not "choke" or "gag", but I read English, God gave me an English Bible, and the English can be understood to mean struggling with or, with the "swallow" later in the verse as a parallel, to choke or gag. Using my child-like, simple idea, the "at" works well. AND even if I couldn't figure it out, let God be true and every man a liar.

Now for those who think that this exercise is silly, and, yes, it is ripe for humorous comments, there is a deeper and far more important issue. Do we truly believe that every jot and tittle, every pronoun and preposition is there for a purpose, or do we settle for 99.44% pure and doubt God?

Connie 07-22-2008 07:22 PM

I can only answer you as I usually do, Brother Tim. Finding an error of any kind in the KJB does not at all to my mind mean settling for 99.44% pure and doubting God. Far from it. I consider the KJB to be God's word. This particular issue is, however, the very first I've run across that hints at a difference in actual meaning, although in practice we all grasp the proverbial sense of it nevertheless. Other changes I've thought might possibly be necessary don't involve a difference in meaning but simply the substitution of a contemporary English term that conveys exactly the same meaning to us now as the one that was used in 1611 did to the people then. NO change in meaning. I have to admit that I tend to judge the old words as I encounter them in the KJB as fine just as they are without any changes needed so that if I end up with a list at all it's going to be a very very short one.

Since we do grasp the meaning of the teaching about the gnat and the camel even if we do not have the precise context in mind that the original writers had, perhaps it's best not to consider that a change is needed at all. I'm still mulling this over.

I'm not interested in hunting down errors in the KJB for their own sake as you imply. This one struck me as a new kind of problem I would have to explain to people I'm trying to defend the KJB to, so I want to understand it well. What I'm interested in is finding the truth about the translation problems so that I can denounce the new versions intelligently enough to open people's eyes and defend the KJB intelligently enough to be convincing to true Christians who are under the spell of the new versions, and I know they exist. They are not all rebels as so many here seem to prefer to think. They are God's people doing their best under a handicap. I fully believe that the KJB is God's word in the fullest sense, and that the new versions are a horrific mutilation of God's word that ought to be challenged as effectively as we possibly can, and simply declaring that there are no errors in the KJB at all isn't going to serve that purpose. If I can find a way to defend "strain at" that makes sense, I will certainly defend it.

Brother Tim 07-22-2008 07:46 PM

Connie, I really appreciate your intensity, and I agree that it is good to answer the concerns of those who are confused. I am not doubting you personally, or speaking to you as one who questions to validity of the KJB. I did not express that well in my last post. What I was trying to say, and your most recent post amplifies that even more, is that once you convince yourself enough to be able to confidently answer others, they will simply bring up another puzzle. If you think the "at vs. out" explanation will settle the problem, then they will just move to the "Easter vs. Passover" or the "love of money" arguments.

The bottom line is that if a person must be convinced through logical argument to trust in God's Word, then he or she will be convinced only until the next argument comes along. "for he that cometh to God must believe that he is," and I believe that goes for His Word as well. It is like the person that wants you to explain who Cain's wife was when you are trying to share the Gospel. If you get off message and patiently explain it, he or she doesn't then quietly listen, you just get another question, "but what about ...?"

By the way, if you would like to test out my point of endless questions from seemingly sincere Christians, I just finally left one forum where after months of discussing every argument under the sun, I was no better off. I'd gladly pass the baton to someone else. Also, I joined FreeSundaySchoolLessons' forum to be the token KJBer. Barry and GreekTim keep me very busy, and I could use some back-up. Sadly, it is really a waste of time, but I am sort of like a pitbull. Once I bite, you just about have to kill me to get me to turn loose. Actually, it is more like a dodgeball game where I am the only one in the middle and they are throwing balls at me from both sides. I keep thinking that because these are good, Godly people, that if I could just get my foot in the door, the light would come on, but it never happens.

Connie 07-22-2008 08:14 PM

I can't agree, brother Steven, that "strain at" is so obviously the better translation and I don't see how you derive that idea from the post of mine that you referenced.

What the passage is meant to teach us, or the moral of the story as it were, is pretty much the same in both cases (although Brother Tim seems to have his own individual way of arriving at it). That is, in either case the Lord is teaching us not to be myopically focused on small concerns when there are much more important ones that need our attention. That is true whether we are talking about excessive exertion to rid ourselves of gnats (I personally have always pictured swatting at them, which is all "straining at" them brings to my mind) or talking about anxiety not to swallow a nearly microscopic unclean beast. In both cases it holds up as a proverb about our priorities in the Christian life. So I can't rank one over the other as far as that goes.

I'm not sure I'm up to the depth of research you are suggesting, but if you happen to find a quote somewhere that would shed light on the translators' intention that would be very helpful.

Quote:

I'm not 100% sure that you are now a defender of "strain at" as the correct and proper interp, or close to that,
I'm not sure yet what I think, but if it can be shown for sure that the KJB translators themselves actually chose "strain at" I would concede that they must have had excellent reason for the choice, because I think of them as God-fearing honorable men of the highest scholarship, and men who consulted each other before arriving at their decisions too.

Quote:

...yet that other post surely was a powerful indication that you do seem to have the gist of the matter .. strain at and strain out are not the same .. and strain at can be futile and unnecessary and overwrought efforts and thus (subject to verification) this would be a good base for understanding the physical, historical evidence of "strain at" being a deliberate and excellent King James Bible translational decision.
As I say above, I don't see the importance you attach to this distinction. I've reread my post and I don't grasp your point. Futile effort holds up fine as a proverb, but so does using a strainer to get rid of a nearly microscopic unclean food while ingesting a huge unclean beast without a thought.

And the fact that three major English Bibles before the King James have "strain out", particularly the Bishop's Bible that the translators were laboring in fact to preserve to the utmost, is very convincing to me that "strain out" is a perfectly fine choice.

But it would be wonderful to find any comment by one of the translators saying that they choose "strain at" over "strain out" and giving their reasons, because all the reasons you or I can think of just remain conjecture.

Quote:

One point, when you say - "that is not what the Greek says" I am not sure that anyone has really looked closely at the contextual uses of the Greek word in Greek literature, the full range of semantic meaning. And even there, there may not be enough information to make any blanket statement authoritatively. And the one usage in the New Testament must be given proper contextual perspective, where 'strain at' makes a lot more sense than 'strain out'.
Again, I don't see at ALL that strain at makes more sense than strain out. The idea of swatting at gnats hardly makes more sense than catching them in a fine mesh, and it is nowhere near as apt for paralleling swallow a camel. It works well enough for conveying the instruction to us, both of them do, and otherwise it doesn't make MORE sense at all.

And if you are going to go down that path of questioning whether every stone was turned in the pursuit of all the nuances of the Greek, don't you have to be wary that anyone defending or rejecting many things in any Bible can say the same thing? What we don't know we don't know, but we do know that some worthy Bibles have said "strain out" and we do know that this describes what the Pharisees did.

Quote:

Generally, on such an issue, I would bypass a short note of D. A. Waite as of only minor interest, the combined internet sharing can go a lot deeper into such a matter, and you have access here to some of the most informed King James Bible defenders in the world. Matthew's knowledge of variants in editions, Brandon's page showing modern version variant omissions, Will Kinney's indepth analysis of various issues being examples.
I dunno, Dr. Waite is a major contributor to the King James Only debate so I can't just overlook a note like that. I acknowledge the immense value of the information at this site, and Bibleprotector's and Will Kinney's (and Dr. Waite's and Dr. Cloud's too) while reserving the right to raise questions and criticisms where they present themselves.

Debau 07-22-2008 08:45 PM

Dr. Waite's son, D.A. jr is the footnote author of the Defined and put the Greek in where it "may" help, and writes "mistakes may have inadvertantly crept in" besides other disclaimers and defers to the translators. If you look on the page opposite of Genesis 1, you'll see The Golden Rule of Bible Interpretation. "When the PLAIN SENSE of Scripture makes COMMON SENSE, SEEK NO OTHER SENSE." I believe Brother Tim has done that with Mat 23:24, and that Dr. Waite would concur. I read part of Matthew Henry's commentary on this in this overdone thread, and he concurs that strained AT is the common sense rendering. COMMENTARIES-PROCEED WITH CAUTION!!!...

Matthew Henry:

2. They avoided lesser sins, but committed greater (Mt 23:24); Ye blind guides; so he had called them before (Mt 23:16), for their corrupt teaching; here he calls them so for their corrupt living, for their example was leading as well as their doctrine; and in this also they were blind and partial; they strained at a gnat, and swallowed a camel. In their doctrine they strained at gnats, warned people against every the least violation of the tradition of the elders. In their practice they strained at gnats, heaved at them, with a seeming dread, as if they had a great abhorrence of sin, and were afraid of it in the least instance; but they made no difficulty of those sins which, in comparison with them, were as a camel to a gnat; when they devoured widows' houses, they did indeed swallow a camel; when they gave Judas the price of innocent blood, and yet scrupled to put the returned money into the treasury (Mt 27:6); when they would not go into the judgment-hall, for fear of being defiled, and yet would stand at the door, and cry out against the holy Jesus (Joh 18:28); when they quarrelled with the disciples for eating with unwashen hands, and yet, for the filling of the Corban, taught people to break the fifth commandment, they strained at gnats, or lesser things, and yet swallowed camels. It is not the scrupling of a little sin that Christ here reproves; if it be a sin, though but a gnat, it must be strained at, but the doing of that, and then swallowing a camel. In the smaller matters of the law to be superstitious, and to be profane in the greater, is the hypocrisy here condemned.

Steven Avery 07-22-2008 09:59 PM

Hi Folks,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connie
I don't see how you derive that idea from the post of mine that you referenced.

From your post.

excessive attention to small things to be useful as a proverb nevertheless. ... The Pharisees even today filter their liquid food JUST IN CASE there might be an unclean bug in it .. a worry that one MIGHT be there that they can't see.

When this occurs, no gnat is actually being strained out, but a gnat (or a supposed sought-after gnat) is being strained at ... Thus it looked like you understood one essential distinction. Straining out a gnat presupposes that there even is a gnat, and that it is significant and it is helpful (purifying) to get rid of it .. straining at a gnat puts the emphasis on the effort, which can be largely futile and unnecessary. And this distinction in sense exists even if you substitute the word filter for strain, to see how it sounds if you eliminate the wider use today of 'strain'.

In addition you should keep in mind that proverbial senses often cross languages and time, and Jesus can be speaking in an idiomatic or proverbial sense that is quite similar to the sense we have in the clearer English 'strain at' today.

Quote:

passage is meant to teach us...not to be myopically focused on small concerns when there are much more important ones that need our attention.

True up to a point, however that does not sufficiently cover the futile efffort of "compass sea and land to make one proselyte" or "make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess".

In those cases the incredible amount of effort for no holy purpose is also being emphasized. Everything is topsy-turvy, the efforts are totally futile. The spiritual fundamentals are missed, there is greed and darkness at play, the house is decrepit and rotting, not just priorities askew.

Quote:

I'm not sure I'm up to the depth of research you are suggesting, but if you happen to find a quote somewhere that would shed light on the translators' intention that would be very helpful.

Jeffrey Nachimson read that book as showing that "strain at" was a deliberate decision. That is light shed. Jeffrey has a lot of good scholarship so that sits on the table at the moment. You were mentioning the $40 of one book, I pointed out they are available at university libraries for checking. The likelihood is simply a confirmation of Jeffrey's note. To me that is super-icing on the "strain at" support. For you, I dunno.

Quote:

I'm not sure yet what I think, but if it can be shown for sure that the KJB translators themselves actually chose "strain at" I would concede that they must have had excellent reason for the choice, because I think of them as God-fearing honorable men of the highest scholarship, and men who consulted each other before arriving at their decisions too.

Fine. As it stands right now, Jeffrey's understanding stands undisturbed, and it essentially settles the issue for you, you indicate. A deliberate decision of warrant by the translators. So at leisure take a look at the exact words in the books he mentions, since you would like confirmation that this was a deliberate translation decision by the true language experts.

Quote:

...I don't see the importance you attach to this distinction. ... Futile effort holds up fine as a proverb, but so does using a strainer to get rid of a nearly microscopic unclean food while ingesting a huge unclean beast without a thought.

"strain at" has the extra sense of futility and unnecessary effort to go with the disproportionality that exists in both phrases. Thus it adds a component that is also in the words of Jesus. There is absolutely no sense and purpose in cleaning the outside of a cup with excess and extortion inside. In fact it gives a false impression, it is a futile and deceptive and negative effort. "strain at" includes that negative sense of futility and worthlessness that "strain out" omits.

Quote:

And the fact that three major English Bibles before the King James have "strain out", particularly the Bishop's Bible that the translators were laboring in fact to preserve to the utmost, is very convincing to me that "strain out" is a perfectly fine choice.

An excellent second-best translation. Not errant, simply inferior to "strain at".

Quote:

it would be wonderful to find any comment by one of the translators saying that they choose "strain at" over "strain out" and giving their reasons, because all the reasons you or I can think of just remain conjecture.

The very fact of the demonstrated deliberate nature of the change to "strain at" has refuted the old-time canard that this was a printer's error never corrected. That was the key to the anti-KJB attack position and it was fully refuted (granted we would like a little confirmation of how that material reads). That was hugely helpful in the discussion.

I expect you will have that and our conjectures and explanations and understandings, no more and no less.

Shalom,
Steven

Connie 07-23-2008 12:25 PM

Hello Debau,
I have agreed many times that there is no problem with "strain at" as far as the teaching we glean from it goes, although I don't think it is superior to "strain out" in that regard. The Greek means to filter, the other English Bibles reflect that meaning, and "strain at" doesn't mean to filter, it means to exert oneself against something. It nevertheless works to make the point Matthew Henry teaches: In the smaller matters of the law to be superstitious, and to be profane in the greater, is the hypocrisy here condemned but so does the other rendering make that point just as well, and more truly to the original context.

Your reference to Matthew Henry does not add anything. He does not appear to even be aware that there ever was a reading of "strain out" and simply accepts "strain at" as a given, so you cannot say rightly that "he concurs that strained AT is the common sense rendering." We have no idea from that passage you quote whether he would have thought that if he were even aware that there had ever been another rendering.

This topic is about the question whether or not "strain at" was intended by the translators since it is a departure from the earlier Bibles' use of "strain out." Doesn't it matter what Jesus actually had in mind when he gave that teaching?

Connie 07-23-2008 12:42 PM

Brother Steven,
I simply did not recognize the names you were referring to in your post and it sounded like a lot of research you were proposing. I did not recognize the name Jeffrey Nachimson that you brought up and I still don't. I don't know what you are referring to. You say he has proved that the translators intended "strain at?" I haven't seen this yet although you are claiming it is so. Also, apparently I didn't grasp what you were suggesting about finding the point in the Allen and Jacobs book, so now that I do I can see if it's possible to follow up on that.

In this post you are simply repeating the interpretation that Will Kinney gave that I already answered. It's a strained interpretation to try to make "strain at" fit into the context of filtering out a gnat. Either "strain" means to filter (with "out") or it means to exert (with "at"), and it appears that what has happened is that because the English word is identical in spelling although it is really two different words (this occurs quite a bit in English, to the chagrin of many foreigners who try to learn it) their meanings have become confused with each other over time and now everybody is trying to make them mean the same thing when they don't.

If there were such a natural mingling of the two different senses in English then yes, we might suppose such a mingling in other languages as well, but there is no such natural mingling that I know of. In English filtering is a different action from exerting.

Yes, this is my own speculative thinking in answer to your speculative thinking. Yes, that's all there is at this point. Except you do claim that there is objective evidence that the translators intentionally made the change to "strain at." In fact you assert it with finality although to this point that supposed proof has not yet been shown here, and it remains for me the question that needs answering. And again, it seems to be getting buried in a lot of conjecture when all by itself it would make the point if it were true and we don't need the conjecture.

I see there is no point in continuing this discussion right now because everybody who is arguing with me starts from the premise that the KJB is absolutely right and puts all his energy into conjectures that seem to make it so and there is no way to argue with that sort of thing.

Brother Tim 07-23-2008 01:00 PM

I got a gnat down in my ear while at an outdoor funeral today. While I debated on how to strain at getting it out, it flew away. Perhaps we need to do the same with this thread. Just let it fly away. ;)

Connie 07-23-2008 01:18 PM

Yes, we can let it fly away. I'll take it eventually to some other site because I still need to get some answers.

Steven, I don't think I was clear about my answer to you. You are continuing and elaborating that same interpretation Will Kinney and others give, about how using a strainer in case there might be a gnat is making an unnecessary exertion. I don't see it although you say you think I recognized it. You make quite a plausibility out of it by bringing in other teachings and parables of Jesus, but really there is no necessity of including those in this one.

There is no special exertion involved in pouring your soup or drink through a strainer. When we read "strain at" I really do not think most of us picture anything having to do with filtering or trying to filter a gnat out of a drink. I never had that context in mind when I read it, and neither do the commentators mentioned, John Gill and Matthew Henry. Using a strainer simply does not enter into the discussion at all when dealing with the phrase "strain at" because we know that means to exert onself and does not imply the context of filtering -- that would just not occur to us. They are two separate words in all our minds and the attempt to make them into one just doesn't work, it is strained reasoning as I have said many times.

And again, even less strained conjecture isn't going to deal with this question anyway if you are trying to talk to people who don't think the KJB has to be perfect at every point of the translation in order to be God's word. What is needed is objective evidence. And again, you claim it has been produced but I haven't seen it.

Diligent 07-23-2008 02:14 PM

I think I just came to the conclusion that God made sure the KJV would say "strain at a gnat" just so we could see who the gnat strainers are!

I have already said this before, but anyone who makes an issue of this phrase is giving a dictionary example of irony.

(Just for the record, I accept the KJV reading as perfect.)

Connie 07-23-2008 03:35 PM

Undelete.

You have such a lack of respect for people who are trying to deal with the questions that people raise about the KJB I wonder why you even bother to run a site to educate anyone. Leave it up to God. He'll lead everybody to your perfectly correct position without your help, right? Seems to me there's a lot of smug self-righteousness around here and petty put-downs that are far from a Christian spirit but full of chest-beating pride and vindictiveness.

Steven Avery 07-23-2008 04:52 PM

Hi Folks,

Quote:

When we read "strain at" I really do not think most of us picture anything having to do with filtering or trying to filter a gnat out of a drink. I never had that context in mind when I read it, and neither do the commentators mentioned, John Gill and Matthew Henry.

With all this discussion about what John Gill and others were picturing, did you even read the full John Gill commentatary ?

Shalom,
Steven

Connie 07-23-2008 05:10 PM

No, Steven, we haven't discussed it at all. I have merely referred to what was posted here, which addresses the meaning of "strain at" without mentioning the option of "strain out" as I recall. But nobody answered me until now. All I read was what somebody posted.

If he makes a comment somewhere about the choice of "at" over "out" that should have been the first -- and probably only -- thing quoted from him. It might have saved a lot of useless speculation.

Diligent 07-23-2008 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connie (Post 6324)
Seems to me there's a lot of smug self-righteousness around here and petty put-downs that are far from a Christian spirit but full of chest-beating pride and vindictiveness.

Pointing out the irony of debating "strain at/out a gnat" is not "vindictiveness." I certainly believe the KJV reading is correct and I am happy to allow people to defend that reading. But this is at least the third time this question has come up, and it doesn't appear to bear any fruit.

The "camels" of Bible translation and corruption are far weightier. Once you finish straining at the gnat of "strain at a gnat" you will move on to the next minutia. It will never end.

At some point one must decide what their final authority is. There is an abundance of evidence pointing the way to the KJV -- the purpose of this site is to provide for it. But until someone puts their faith in God's word received, one will find a gnat behind every page to strain at.

Brother Tim 07-23-2008 09:16 PM

Connie, first, aren't you painting your criticism with a very broad brush? Second, you seem to assume based on your last post that either (a) we all have a library of resources and limitless time to search for a truly minimal point, or (b) we are all plotting to hide the truth from you and stretch this issue out needlessly.

I am bailing on this discussion. It is no longer edifying.

Connie 07-24-2008 03:01 AM

I wasn't talking about either you or Steven Avery, Brother Tim, and it was unfortunately an accumulation of incidents over time that I was responding to from other threads. But the conversation WAS over I think, unless someone was going to post the whole context of John Gill on the subject. I will eventually look it up myself, however, and the conversation is probably over in any case. No, I don't assume anybody's access to resources, but Steven hinted that John Gill said more than was posted here without saying what that might be.

Steven Avery 07-24-2008 04:12 AM

Hi Folks,

Quote:

No, Steven, we haven't discussed it at all. I have merely referred to what was posted here, which addresses the meaning of "strain at" without mentioning the option of "strain out" as I recall. But nobody answered me until now. All I read was what somebody posted. .

Then you should not make a comment that presumed in error "anything having to do with filtering ...I never had that context in mind when I read it, and neither do the commentators mentioned, John Gill". The commentaries of John Gill are in-depth on Hebraic issues, why not learn to look him up; instead of spending so much effort making false presumptions and comments ?

Quote:

If he makes a comment somewhere about the choice of "at" over "out" that should have been the first -- and probably only -- thing quoted from him. It might have saved a lot of useless speculation.

More presumption, conjecture and speculation from you. Why not at least educate yourself first (you can find his commentary easily in Google and NT verses are at crosswalk.com) instead of looking like a foolish critic of John Gill on this verse and of excellent writers like Will Kinney who seek out and share information from various sources, and of the verse itself in the King James Bible ?

Quote:

I did not recognize the name Jeffrey Nachimson that you brought up and I still don't. I don't know what you are referring to. You say he has proved that the translators intended "strain at?" I haven't seen this yet although you are claiming it is so. Also, apparently I didn't grasp what you were suggesting about finding the point in the Allen and Jacobs book, so now that I do I can see if it's possible to follow up on that.

Jeffrey Nachimson is the author (he has written exceellent web articles on the Johannine Comma and other issues) who gave us the section about the deliberate nature of the King James Bible change to "strain at" that he discovered through his own studies a couple of years ago, using the Ward Allen book.

The section that you yourself highlighted as especially significant. Will Kinney quotes Jeffrey in the section that you highlighted in the first post on this very thread.
http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...96&postcount=1
(although you passed by Jeffrey's other note, the Greek lexicon entry, which discussed awareness of, seeing, a gnat and making effort .. rather than simply passive straining, without comment).

Shalom,
Steven

Steven Avery 07-24-2008 04:47 AM

Hi Folks,

Jeffrey originally shared (viewable by WhichVersion members, the two points identical to what Will has posted with some overall notes also included) this at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/whichv.../message/19146
Matthew 23:24 Strain AT a gnat

Please note : in a heavy-handed and false dismissal of most of Will's article:

http://www.exorthodoxforchrist.com/s...thew_23-24.htm
strain AT a gnat, and swallow a camel.
"Ye blind guides, which strain AT a gnat, and swallow a camel."

(This version has more HTML, the web-page author adds some of his notes at bottom.)

as having only one objective statement amidst a

Connie - "sea of speculative comments, opinions, guesses and suppositions"

you passed by Jeffrey's other note, the Greek lexicon of Bauer updated by Frederick William Danker, which discussed awareness of, seeing, a gnat and making effort .. rather than simply passive straining .. without any note or comment by yourself.

Strangely, you were also accusing the Chambers 20th Century Dictionary entry as "speculation, etc.." ...as well as the Talmud entry (which actually is from John Gill, as you will discover for yourself when you read his whole section) as well as the Oxford Dictionary reference (Will does not give the quoted entry on that one).

Apparently when you are struggling with an issue, you try to hand-wave all scholarly references. I think it is important to understand why some of us aren't taking your oft-expressed concerns very seriously. You do not seem to be very attentive to the very articles you are attempting to dismiss and you seem far more interested in shrill and inaccurate critiques rather than relatively simple research checking (e.g. John Gill).

This may also help to understand why some see your struggle on this verse as far more a spiritual issue of your approach to the pure word of God, the King James Bible, rather than an objective research and understanding of the Bible issue.

Shalom,
Steven

Connie 07-24-2008 02:58 PM

I will probably eventually look up John Gill, Steven, I have made use of his commentary before, but my comments here were in relation only to what was posted here from him. I would have expected that whatever was posted would have been the most relevant to this topic, wouldn't you? Therefore I did not expect that the poster would have left out a discussion about the former use of "strain out" and the translators' choice of "strain at." And now I see that despite your hint that he has more to say I should know about, he no doubt doesn't discuss this at all. But that's what I'm saying is the necessary objective evidence.

The rest of your post I simply am not following. You are making a lot of assertions about something but I don't know what, what "scholarly references" and so on. The speculations I found at Will Kinney's site remain speculations as far as I can see, simply explanations people come up with for how "strain at" makes sense to them, not actual evidence that its occurrence in the AV was not an error. If you see something there that is objective and not merely speculative, shouldn't you quote it so I can see what you mean? Otherwise I have no idea what you mean and all you are doing is slinging accusations at me.

I did not notice Jeffrey Anybody there and at this point don't see why I need to since you have not given me reason to. Where you say

Quote:

you passed by Jeffrey's other note, the Greek lexicon of Bauer updated by Frederick William Danker, which discussed awareness of, seeing, a gnat and making effort .. rather than simply passive straining .. without any note or comment by yourself.
all I can answer is that this is a perfect example of the typical speculation I was talking about. Can't you see that this is speculation and interpretation? It's clearly an attempt to make sense of the fact that the text has "strain at" but the Greek means filtering. This is what everybody is doing with this passage, Will Kinney, you, etc., but it's strained reasoning. But if you accept it as authoritative then nothing I say about its being strained reasoning is going to be persuasive.

This is not evidence that "strain at" was intended by the translators, this is just the usual attempt to explain it in such a way that makes it useful for Christian life. But I've already said I accept that it is useful. So is "strain out" useful in exactly the same way. Both give useful instruction, but "strain out" is an accurate translation and "strain at" is not. What I need in order to be convinced is not plausible interpretations but objective evidence that the translators intended "strain at" in spite of the fact that it is not an accurate translation, which of course they would have known. If they chose it, then they chose it for some other reason they considered more important. It's a simple enough requirement. Nothing else will do. If it's not available then I have to decide if I can swallow such strained rationalizations as I'm being offered as God's word. If John Gill does not assert in his commentary that the translators intended it then I see no point in checking John Gill either. I'm sure his interpretation of "strain at" is just as plausible as everybody else's is, but that doesn't prove the translation was correct and it doesn't tell me whether it is in the KJB in error or not.

Thank you for your attention to this topic. I believe I now know all I need to know about it.

Steven Avery 07-24-2008 03:20 PM

Hi Folks,

Quote:

Gill... I would have expected that whatever was posted would have been the most relevant to this topic, wouldn't you?

Everything John Gill writes on this is relevant. What is "most relevant" will very from person to person and discussion to discussion. You have your own glasses.

And for you to make conclusions about John Gill's insight on an extract, along the lines of "John Gill only knew of A-B-C, Gill wasn't aware of filtering .." was flat-out wrong. You still do not seem to understand the basics, when you write a false statement it is your responsibility before God, and it is something that you should diligently seek to avoid. At that point, you propagate an untruth. Even now, you seem to recognize no accountability for your own mistaken words, instead trying to blame others who have done their job well.

John Gill was 100% aware of the rabbinic elements of both filtering and physically straining, even if that combination doesn't fit into your mental boxes. Incidentally he was not a King James Bible defender, although often his insights are helpful, his view was more that of the Reformation Bible, thus it would be neutral looking at this verse. Similarly Matthew Henry, however he did not have the depth of rabbinic background as did John Gill.

For you to take the view that a Greek lexicon entry (they are often compiled by scholarly liberals) is some sort of King James Bible strained apologetic is simply silly. Often such scholarly lexicons will be working off of Greek classical sources. Perhaps you are not aware of that as well. There are some tools (e.g. Strong's Concordance) that tend to simply work with the Bible text and can be somewhat circular. Yet there are other tools that are based on etymological and historical and classical study. Likely Bauer-Danker is of the latter nature, and if so it is 100% germane to your requests for more understanding. i.e. If you could get out of your mental contortionist box.

Honestly, I think you are way off-base at this point in the discussion, you have moved so far aware from the fundamentals and simple understandings that there is little more to say. I understand fully why Tim and Brandon commented as they did, however I noted some things that you had written that were flat-out wrong, dangerously wrong apparently by spiritual-mental blockages, and I wanted to try to help you to see the problem, so far without a notable response other than excuses and close-minded tunnel-vision.

If you want objective evidence of translator's intent, as you claim is the only thing that would ever satisfy you (which is truly a nonsensical view to take if you understood all the issues and evidences) then research Jeffrey's understanding from the Ward Allen book. That is likely the only possible evidence either way about translator's intent, since we don't have a lot of paper saved from 1611. Or simply accept Jeffrey's understanding as true, the translator's purposefully changed "strain out" to "strain at". End of story.

However you are very demanding, combined with misunderstanding, a very unfortunate combination, and, be warned, potentially a road to unbelief.

==================================

If you want to have a little fun, look at this translation of Chrysostom (c 400 AD) by Schaff (not KJB at all). Is this text reflecting the actual Chrysostom pronoun/grammar ? (I dunno.)

http://www.tertullian.org/fathers2/N...pnf1-10-79.htm
Homily LXXIII of Matthew

Then, to show that there is no harm arising from despising bodily
cleansings, but very great vengeance from not regarding the
purifications of the soul, which is virtue, He called these "a gnat,"
for they are small and nothing, but those other a camel, for they were
beyond what men could bear. Wherefore also He saith,
"Straining at the gnat, and swallowing the camel."

www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf110.iii.XXIII.html
Homily XXIII.

For although His disciples had been guilty of no such sin, yet in them were supposed to be offenses; as, for instance, not keeping the sabbath, eating with unwashen hands, sitting at meat with publicans; of which He saith also in another place,
"Ye which strain at the gnat, and swallow the camel."
But yet it is also a general law that He is laying down on these matters.

Oh..uh.. was John Chyrsostom part of this vast straining KJB conspiracy ? Or Schaff ? Oh.. wait. Apparently Schaff tries to correct Chyrsostom ! Or his editor. Perhaps they are concerned that Chrysostom had read the Authorized Version ?

Shalom,
Steven

Connie 07-24-2008 03:59 PM

Good grief. I think that explanation of "strain at" is a very strained rationalization, that's how it hits me, an acrobatic mental exercise in cramming the meaning of exertion and filtering into one -- which in fact I've been saying all along and in fact you seemed to see the point yourself a few posts back. It's not really relevant that lexicons use the Greek sources, or that John Gill did, that I can see, you'd have to show how they used it in this case, a discussion of the Greek meaning etc., but you aren't doing that, you are content to upbraid me for some sin or other in finding the interpretation to be forced. I didn't assert anything by the way about John Gill except what was in the quote given here and all he did was interpret "strain at" without reference to the Greek or "strain out," so no, I am not committing this sin you accuse me of.

You want me to accept this interpretation, this explanation, this rationalization of "strain at" as if it is objective evidence for its intentional inclusion in the Bible. Now if the translators themselves give this same explanation or interpretation, THAT I would have to take seriously, but otherwise this just sounds like everybody is straining to put the two different meanings together. What if the translators chose "strain at" just because it had become the accepted idea and not because it accurately reflected the Greek? Is that a possibility? What if nobody would ever have known there was that other meaning of filtering if the new versions hadn't forced so many of us to be constantly looking up the Greek? Brother Tim didn't even picture the action of filtering out a gnat with a strainer. Most of us don't read "strain at" to include anything about filtering. You can interpret the passage just fine without any indication of filtering, as it appears Matthew Henry did (You are saying John Gill included it but I haven't seen it yet and yes, again, I would expect you to quote it since you are asserting it).

You want me to just "see" as you all seem to, that WHATEVER is in the KJB is exactly what is supposed to be there and it's a spiritual problem of mine if I don't, so that ends it for you. Fine, let it be ended. I'm spiritually deficient and that's that.

Connie 07-24-2008 04:04 PM

I haven't called any of this a conspiracy so please drop that term. If I suppose anything about how it might have happened I don't think of an intentional plot, I think of plausible explanations occurring in people's minds for a phrase they take as given by God.

It looks to me like Schaff simply contributed the accepted understanding of "strain at a gnat" without it involving anything having to do with translation.

Steven Avery 07-24-2008 06:11 PM

Hi Folks,

Connie I specifically quoted your error on John Gill, you falsely stated that he was not aware of the filtering aspect.

"filtering ...I never had that context in mind ... neither (does) John Gill"

When in fact John Gill specifically discusses straining as filtering in great depth, from the Hebraic understandings.

Now you have switched gears to simply saying that he doesn't directly discuss strain at vs. strain out .. yet actually even on that his commentary gives deep insight on all the issues.

I have no idea what explanation of "strain at" you are calling strained right above ? Please indicate ! Chrystostom ? If so, he wrote in Greek so he wasn't trying to rationalize "strain at". He could be showing how the greek word diluzio was understood 1600 years ago in Greek, however. Does that matter to you ?

Are you aware that the Greek lacks a preposition, which would more likely be expected if the Greek was to mean strain out ?

I'm out for a bit, so I will leave with those thoughts and questions.

I really have no idea what evidences you are interested in, depending on your mood you seem to reject the English (active usage of strain at before the time of the King James Bible, the redundancy of strain out, the idiomatic issues) the Greek (e.g. the lexicons that you reject) the Hebraics (Gill who you reject), historical evidence of conscious translation, which you hand-wave, and more so I don't know what is left :) .

What is the evidence that you really think is significant ? Let's be clear, and not go in circles. When I come back I will try to include what I think were the best discussions of the Greek grammar and the English language "strain at.." history. However not so much for Connie, as for the completion of the forum thread, unless Connie indicates exactly what issues are in fact primary.

Schaff was actually against "strain at", he was very liberal in text, it is very possible the translator was simply being faithful to the Greek of Chrysostom. Can you consider that possibility ?

Shalom,
Steven

Steven Avery 07-24-2008 08:33 PM

Hi Folks,

Now I want to repeat one point for Connie, a bit more slowly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Avery
the Greek lexicon of Bauer updated by Frederick William Danker, which discussed awareness of, seeing, a gnat and making effort .. rather than simply passive straining .. without any note or comment by yourself.

Quote:

all I can answer is that this is a perfect example of the typical speculation I was talking about. Can't you see that this is speculation and interpretation? It's clearly an attempt to make sense of the fact that the text has "strain at" but the Greek means filtering.

Yet, Connie, as I have tried to share with you, such a lexicon is not based on the English Authorized Version. You are simply again factually wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BDAG

The Bauer-Danker Lexicon (ISBN 0226039331) is among the most highly respected dictionaries of biblical Greek

Connie, these lectionaries are textcrit favorites, and this one is translated from German to English. They have no sympathy toward the King James Bible. Yet you handwave even such a resource as part of a King James Bible apologetic conspiracy (no other word is as accurate for your attempt at perfunctory dismissal of all in-depth scholarship that supports 'strain at') when mentioned in the "strain at" context.

Quote:

This is what everybody is doing with this passage, Will Kinney, you, etc., but it's strained reasoning. But if you accept it as authoritative then nothing I say about its being strained reasoning is going to be persuasive.

The ultra-strained reasoning is how you make a textual work on the Greek language, written in German, into an apologetic for the historic English Bible, the Authorized Version, that is not part of that work, nor even respected in textcrit circles (which have a propensity for flights of liberal and textually confused fancy).

It is one thing to say that the Danker-Bauer lexicon evidence is not conclusive, or is only one item to be weighed, or even to contend that it is not being properly balanced, understood, presented .. fair enough.

However to dismiss it the way you do, as King James Bible fanciful and speculative apologetics based on an a priori attempt to defend 'strain at' is so silly as to make normal silly into totally sensible and reasonable.

Shalom,
Steven

Steven Avery 07-24-2008 09:45 PM

myth of the printer's error

Hi Folks,

Matthew 23:24 (KJB 1611)
Ye blind guides,
which straine at a gnat,
and swallow a camel.

Some thoughts to share from my studies.

The history of how the 'printer's error' or 'typographical error' or 'misprint' idea came to be parroted by so many on essentially myth and no evidence is a fascinating study in itself. (A few in recent days have even claimed that the original King James Bible had 'strained out', even in an age where the 1611 edition is easily available.) This tawdry history of accusation involving men like Adam Clarke and Daniel Wallace may be worthy of a separate post. Big names, small names, all sorts of people who have a resistance to the purity of the King James Bible have spread this myth, unconcerned about the fact that it had no evidence and made no sense historically. Sufficient to them was simply to look at a few other early English Bibles, notice that they had 'strain out' and conclude from that ultra-paltry 'evidence' that there was a 'printer's error' or a 'misprint'.

On the other hand, rarely does an opponent of the King James Bible 'strain at' try a substantive discussion of Greek grammar or Hebraic understanding or English historic usages or Bible context or anything of those sorts. Usually they simply parrot the false printer's error argument. The main exception I have seen is James Price, who had a dialog of sorts with Jeffrey Khoo on the verse. Meanwhile Rick Norris has actually helped show the history of the parroting of the false accusation since Noah Webster (famous for strained 'corrections' to the Bible) without adding any other real substance to the discussion. Often the efforts of Rick Norris and others, while designed to cast doubt upon the pure word of God, ends up simply affirming even more strongly the purity and perfection of God's word in the Holy Bible, the King James Bible.

Without going into Hebraics and Greek grammar and English idioms and all ... why do we know 'strain at' is not a printer's error ?

Three major reasons. Any one of these alone is conclusive, or close to conclusive, put together the issue of an error is done, finito. The only issue is how such a deep deception by King James Bible opponents had so much play and air time for so long.

================================================== ===========================

EVERY KING JAMES BIBLE EDITION FOR OVER 140 YEARS

a) every single KJB edition for over 140 years had 'strain at a gnat', and I know of only one edition mentioned until Scrivener that modified this. (There may have been others due to the influence of Noah Webster as a Bible corrector.) As a contrast, the error of shewed to hewed was corrected immediately after the 1st edition. Other true printer's errors or misprints may have taken longer, yet would occur fairly quickly.

And with strained at, in this early critical period, there was no known note or concern of error by anybody. No editions were changed. Every evidence is that the text was considered 100% proper.

KING JAMES BIBLE TRANSLATOR NOTES

b) Some translator notes were recently discovered. The explanation from Jeffrey Nachimson was given above, here I will share from another the same basic information, from the Baptist Board in 2006 by FranklinMonroe (whose own position on the verse is mixed).

Some of the notes made by John Bois (member of the first Cambridge Committee for the AV1611) during the final revision were recently discovered in Corpus Christi College Library at Oxford, edited by Professor Ward Allen, and published in 1970 under the title Translating for King James.

Mr. Allen is also the co-author with Edward C. Jacobs on The Coming of the King James Gospels: A Collation of the Translators' Work-in-Progress. Apparently, a 1610 Bishop's Bible the translators used discovered in the Bodleian Library which reads, "Yee blinde guides, which straine out a gnat, and swallow a camell" had a mark on the verse indicating the intent to alter "out" to "at."

It seems that this was a deliberate change, and not a printer's error

ENGLISH USAGE BEFORE AND CONTEMPORANEOUS TO 1611

3) 'Strain at' was an English usage at the time for the Biblical expression. Continuing to decimate the printer's error argument that was based only on superficial checking of other English Bible editions. In the BaptistBoard thread eight (!) different examples were given of this usage, which I will repeat here.

Iincluding even a translation of John Calvin to English !
Including even another writing by a King James Bible translators !

Rudolf Gwalther
An hundred, threescore and fiftene homelyes or sermons...(1572)
"...Gospel, where he sayth they strayne at a Gnat..."

John Whitgift
A godlie sermon preched before the Queenes Maiestie... (1574)
"...ye straine at a Gnat, & swallow..."

John Calvin translated by Arthur Golding
The sermons of M. Iohn Caluin... (1577)
"...play the hipocrytes, who will streyne at a gnat, and swallowe..."

John King
Lectures vpon Ionas deliuered at Yorke... (1599)
"...wonders of nature, whe~ we straine at gnats, & cannot co~ceiue..."

Roger Fenton
An ansvvere to VVilliam Alablaster... (1599)
"...Let vs then leaue to straine at gnattes, and ingenuously acknowledge..."

George Abbot, ***KJV translator on the Oxford commitee assigned the Gospels***
An exposition vpon the prophet Ionah... (1600)
"...to make a strayning at a gnat, and to swallow vp a whole Camel."

Edward Topsell
The house-holder: or, Perfect man. Preached in three sermons... (1610)
...will leaue these Fooles, Which straine at Gnats, and swallow Camels,...

Thomas Gainsford
The vision and discourse of Henry the seuenth... (1610)
"...and seeke extremities, They straine at Gnats..."

================================================== ===============

Whether you embrace or question 'strain at a gnat' it should be abundantly clear that the opponents of the King James Bible have totally deceived themselves with the idea that 'strain at a gnat' was anything other than a conscious, deliberate decision of translation of Matthew 23:24 by superb experts in the Biblical Greek and the English language.

Shalom,
Steven

Connie 07-24-2008 10:29 PM

You seem to be asking me to do a lot of work to check out what you are saying to even know what you are talking about so I can't answer until I have more time to slog through it all. I have been answering according to what I remember at Will Kinney's site (all speculation except for the reference to Allen and Jacobs) and of what was posted from John Gill (nothing referring to "filtering") and what I remember seems to remain true.

I don't see why it matters that a lexicon is a favorite of "textcrits" if all they have to offer is that same strained explanation of "strain at" that isn't convincing evidence.

Perhaps you have finally given enough information for me to follow your point about Jeffrey Nachimson, but you still refer me back to a previous post you don't identify and I don't recall. You don't like to make it easy to understand you it seems.

In the last post perhaps you are now offering some real evidence that the change was deliberate, which I asked for a long time ago, which is quite amazing after this long go-round, but I will have to think about it later.

However, isn't it odd that such a long list of pre-KJB commentaries have "strain at" when the Bibles of the time had "strain out?" Nobody has even tried to explain how that might have happened either-- or have I missed that explanation too? (It could be). Early in this discussion somebody already posted two pre-KJB commentators that had "strain at" -- I haven't overlooked that fact but again, nobody has explained it as of yet that I recall.

And which one on the list was a KJ translator, why don't you identify him instead of making me look it up? -- the way you insisted that I look up John Gill without giving any reason why I should make that extra effort.

You tediously misunderstand me, you tediously require me to fill in blanks you should have filled in yourself for the sake of politeness and ease of communication, and only now are you seeming to come up with actual evidence. Fine, I'll check it out later.

Steven Avery 07-24-2008 11:01 PM

Hi Folks,

Quote:

You seem to be asking me to do a lot of work to check out

Connie, I am not asking you to do anything. Nothing at all.

At this point I am posting for the forum and friends and researchers, and studying for edification. If something there is of interest to you, fine. I'll post the John Gill commentary for simplicity, without comment and with no request for discussion.

Quote:

Early in this discussion somebody already posted two pre-KJB commentators that had "strain at"

If anyone sees that or runs into it or remembers it and it can be copied or linked to, as an addition to the last post, it would be helpful.

The last post is meant for the dozens of web sites and writers who have falsely claimed a "printer's error" a "misprint' a "typographical error" a "definite error". Or for those who have to contend with such shenanigans.

Shalom,
Steven

Steven Avery 07-24-2008 11:07 PM

John Gill on Matthew 23:24 - who strain at a gnat

Hi Folks,

===========================
http://www.searchgodsword.org/com/ge...=023&verse=024
http://eword.gospelcom.net/comments/.../matthew23.htm
John Gill

Matthew 23:24

Ye blind guides…
As in (Matthew 23:16)

who strain at a gnat and swallow a camel:
the Syriac and Persic versions read the words in the plural number, gnats and camels. The Jews had a law, which forbid them the eating of any creeping thing, (Leviticus 11:41) and of this they were strictly observant, and would not be guilty of the breach of it for ever so much.

``One that eats a flea, or a gnat; they say F16 is (rmwm) , "an apostate";''

one that has changed his religion, and is no more to be reckoned as one of them. Hence they very carefully strained their liquors, lest they should transgress the above command, and incur the character of an apostate; and at least, the penalty of being beaten with forty stripes, save one; for,

``whoever eats a whole fly, or a whole gnat, whether alive or dead, was to be beaten on account of a creeping flying thing F17.''

Among the accusations Haman is said to bring against them to Ahasuerus, and the instances he gives of their laws being different from the king's, this one F18; that

``if a fly falls into the cup of one of them, (whtwvw wqrwz) , "he strains it, and drinks it"; but if my lord the king should touch the cup of one of them, he would throw it to the ground, and would not drink of it.''

Maimonides says F19,

``He that strains wine, or vinegar, or strong liquor, and eats "Jabchushin" (a sort of small flies found in wine cellars F20, on account of which they strained their wine), or gnats, or worms, which he hath strained off, is to be beaten on account of the creeping things of the water, or on account of the creeping flying things, and the creeping things of the water.''

Moreover, it is said F21,

``a man might not pour his strong liquors through a strainer, by the light (of a candle or lamp), lest he should separate and leave in the top of the strainer (some creeping thing), and it should fail again into the cup, and he should transgress the law, in (Leviticus 11:41) .''

To this practice Christ alluded here; and so very strict and careful were they in this matter, that to strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel, became at length a proverb, to signify much solicitude about little things, and none about greater. These men would not, on any consideration, be guilty of such a crime, as not to pay the tithe of mint, anise, and cummin, and such like herbs and seeds; and yet made no conscience of doing justice, and showing mercy to men, or of exercising faith in God, or love to him. Just as many hypocrites, like them, make a great stir, and would appear very conscientious and scrupulous, about some little trifling things, and yet stick not, at other times, to commit the grossest enormities, and most scandalous sins in life.

FOOTNOTES:

F16 T. Bab. Avoda Zara, fol. 26. 2. & Horaiot, fol. 11. 1.
F17 Mainon. Hilch. Maacolot Asurot, c. 2. sect. 22.
F18 T. Bab. Megilla, fol, 13. 2. Vid. T. Hietos. Sota, fol. 17. 1.
F19 Ubi supra, (Mainon. Hilch. Maacolot Asurot, c. 2.) sect. 20.
F20 Gloss. in T. Bab. Cholin, fol. 67. 1.
F21 Ib.

====================================

Shalom,
Steven

Steven Avery 07-25-2008 05:04 AM

Hi Folks,

Just a few responses to Connie before seeking to continue with the studies about "strain at a gnat".

Quote:

Perhaps you have finally given enough information for me to follow your point about Jeffrey Nachimson, but you still refer me back to a previous post you don't identify and I don't recall. You don't like to make it easy to understand you it seems.

On post #22 on this thread I gave a URL to your own extract of Jeffrey's article from Will's article where you called it the "one piece of objective evidence" (in fact the article has lots of objective evidence). On post #23 I give a URL to Jeffrey's full, original post on Whichversion. Now on post#30 I have added an additional full quote about the same material from Ward Allen about the translator Bodleian 1602 notations by FranklinMonroe on the Baptist Board.

Quote:

And which one on the list was a KJ translator, why don't you identify him instead of making me look it up?

The following is actually written directly in the post #30:

George Abbot, ***KJV translator on the Oxford commitee assigned the Gospels***

================================================== ================

You had a responsibility to look up John Gill as you had severely misrepresented what he said, wrongly claiming that he was not referring to filtering. Will Kinney extracted the section about the formation of the proverb from 'this practice' of the Pharisees, and this practice was the detailed explanation of the various straining (filtering) strictures of the Pharisees. And you made your incorrect assertion on John Gill based on that one paragraph in Will's article, without even noticing 'this practice' or checknig what Gill says, repeatedly blaming others for your error. So I have now placed in post #30 the full section from John Gill on the forum.

Connie, there is no need to respond to any of the above, I only include it for completeness before continuing on to the studies.

Shalom,
Steven

Steven Avery 07-25-2008 06:05 AM

1800's accusations - "error of the press" "oversight" "misprint"

Hi Folks,

Matthew 23:24 (KJB 1611)
Ye blind guides,
which straine at a gnat,
and swallow a camel.

The two earliest sources I have found for the "misprint" canard and false accusation are Adam Clarke and Noah Webster, both writing about 1820.

Clarke's section is as follows.

Verse 24. Blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.] This clause should be thus translated: Ye strain out the gnat, but ye swallow down the camel. In the common translation, Ye strain AT a gnat, conveys no sense. Indeed, it is likely to have been at first an error of the press, AT for OUT, which, on examination, I find escaped in the edition of 1611, and has been regularly continued since. There is now before me, "The Newe Testament, (both in Englyshe and in Laten,) of Mayster Erasmus translacion, imprynted by Wyllyam Powell, dwellynge in Flete strete: the yere of our Lorde M.CCCCC.XLVII. the fyrste yere of the kynges (Edwd. VI.) moste gracious reygne." in which the verse stands thus: "Ye blinde gides, which strayne out a gnat, and swalowe a cammel." It is the same also in Edmund Becke's Bible, printed in London 1549, and in several others.-Clensynge a gnatte. - MS. Eng. Bib. So Wickliff. Similar to this is the following Arabic proverb . He eats an elephant and is choked by a gnat.

How the Arabic proverb helps his exposition is a puzzle and I am not sure of the early Wycliffe English.

Noah Webster had many criticisms of the Authorized Version, along with a type of respect, and he ended up writing his own Bible with modifications, which version was an abject failure.

One of his major criticisms was indelicate language in the Authorized Version, and the Christian Examiner and General Review in 1835 humourously referred to this and to his attempts to discipline pronounciation :

To our author's somewhat jaundiced eye every thing, it must be confessed, is 'out of joint.'

Webster may have begun the 'misprint' canard, or been an early popularizer. from 1820 to 1835 Webster variously refers to how Tyndale, the Bishop's Bible and older English Bibles have "strain out".

One example of his writing on this issue was in A Collection of Papers given by Nesta Helen Webster (1843).

In Matthew xxiii, 24, the word at should be out : " Who strain out a gnat." Every boy in our grammar schools knows that the Greek verb used here signifies to filter. Christ did not refer to extraordinary efforts in swallowing a gnat, but to the purifying of liquor by filtering it. The use of at is evidently an oversight or misprint, for in the first version of the Bible by Tyndale, the word out is used. All the versions of the New Testament in my possession, six in number and in different languages, are correct, except the English. It is surprising that such an obvious mistake should remain uncorrected for more than two centuries.

With these two commentaries the false accusation took on a life of its own.

As a sidenote, Alexander Campbell's NT (1826) had:
"who strain your liquor, to avoid swallowing a gnat"

Clarke and Webster set the stage, and Albert Barnes, around 1860, followed in the 'misprint' path. Talking of 'earlier versions' some might have misunderstood this as a reference to earlier King James Bibles, especially considering the next sentence. Note that Barnes is the first one I have found to actually (falsely) claim in an assertive manner that the translators desired "strain out a gnat".

"Which strain at a gnat, etc. This is a proverb. There is, however, a mistranslation or misprint here, which makes the verse unmeaning. To strain AT a gnat conveys no sense. It should have been, to strain OUT a gnat; and so it is printed in some of the earlier versions; and so it was undoubtedly rendered by the translators. The common reading is a misprint, and should be corrected. The Greek means, to strain out by a cloth or sieve."

David Brown of Jamieson, Fausset and Brown (1871) a bit more guardedly referenced the misprint accusation.

24. Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat--The proper rendering--as in the older English translations, and perhaps our own as it came from the translators' hands--evidently is, "strain out." It was the custom, says TRENCH, of the stricter Jews to strain their wine, vinegar, and other potables through linen or gauze, lest unawares they should drink down some little unclean insect therein and thus transgress (@Le 11:20,23,41,42)--just as the Buddhists do now in Ceylon and Hindustan--and to this custom of theirs our Lord here refers.

Scrivener's 1873 Paragraph Edition had "strain out a gnat" as one of his

"Wrong readings of the Bible of 1611 amended in later editions".

"So all the early versions from Tyndale to the Bishop’s Bible, and even T. Baskett’s 8 vo. edition of the Authorized, London, 8 vo. 1754, Brit. Mus. 1411. f. 5"
- F H A Scrivener of his "strain out a gnat" 'correction'.

Note that Scrivener was more accurate in his Greek work on the King James Bible text than he was on the English !

In 1881 Schaff used the term "typographical error".
In 1897 Easton used "mere typographical error".

Thus we have a short overview of how the false misprint/typographical/printing error accusation gained currency in the 1800's and became the standard approach of King James Bible correctors.

The continuation of this in the early 1900's by Ryrie and Bullinger and Goodspeed and others is therefore of no surprise, although some add their own twist. The interesting question is how modern writers, like Price and Wallace and Minton and Norris and others (including many lemmings in the no-pure-KJB gang) who should have been easily able to discern that this accusation had no merit, continue to write improperly about the verse. Time and energy permitting, and if the readers like, we will look at some of the modern discussion in a future post.

Shalom,
Steven

bibleprotector 07-25-2008 08:18 AM

This is interesting stuff to present. One thing we notice about those who readily reject the King James Bible view is that they will jump at anything to attack the KJB (it is like they will more quickly accept an atheist’s opinion against the KJB than anything else). It is clear that already unbelief was much advanced by Webster, and that by the time of Trench, Scrivener and others, this view was continued by the "scholars", so that the modern writers can make something "fact" because of the apparent depth of attestation.

Diligent 07-25-2008 08:58 AM

Steven, thank you for your labors in defense of the KJV reading here. I think this thread has some of the most detailed information on this verse that I have read.

Steven Avery 07-25-2008 11:42 AM

Hi Folks,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diligent
thank you for your labors in defense of the KJV reading here. I think this thread has some of the most detailed information on this verse that I have read.

Welcome. That is likely true so far on the issue of how the false 'printer's error' accusation arose and the proof positive that 'strain at a gnat' was a deliberate and conscious translation decision by the King James Bible experts. We were able to combine various evidences, and three overwhelming evidences complement each other and combine to settle that issue, so there is no confusion. Just place a few puzzle pieces together that usually were separated, or missing. When I found the thread with the references that demonstrate usage of "strain at" in English I sat on it for awhile, then the other day I realized how that ices the cake of the translator notes and the consistency of King James Bible editions. In the face of a mountain of agreeing and corroborative and clear evidence, nobody with any sense can see those elements and claim with a straight face "printer's error" or "definite error" or "misprint". To do so would only demonstrate a stupefying animosity to the King James Bible, since the evidence clearly shows that the Greek and English experts decided that "strain at" was simply their preferred translation. A scholar may disagree with their conclusion, but the dismissal attempts of the last 200 years are now shown to be pseudo-scholarly deception.

Also we show how folks prone to confusion, like Webster and Clarke, later Bullinger and Goodspeed and others, kept the canard of an error on the warm burner of discussion about the King James Bible. To be picked up with a gnashing of teeth and a confused vengeance by the likes of Kutilek and Wallace and Price and others, egged on by the deliberately incomplete leading and misleading presentation by Norris.

As for the modern discussion, it would be nice in a few days to review the current writers of interest, and perhaps help to eliminate the canard from the public arena once and for all.

That still leaves open the issue of what is the 'best' transaltion into English, although it pretty much settles that none of the regular translations, strain at or strain out and some others, are "errors" per se, the critical accusation attempt.

So would be nice to show the issues at play, giving each one a short presentation. I've noticed that the best discussions of each of these are widely scattered. Here are the groupings, and I might be omitting a bit.

1) Bible context
2) English comparative usages and idiom/proverb issues
3) Greek grammatical issues - e.g. no Greek pronoun, tense, etc.
Greek translational usages - e.g. early church writers
Greek lexicon understanding
4) Hebraic understandings (proverb, idiom, usages, Talmud etc)

The Greek grammatical issues are possibly the least discussed of these, and apparently they give quite solid support of "strain at" over "strain out".

My problem with "strain out" is not a lack of sense, both phrases have their internal consistency, strain out allows for a simple declaration, you take care of the small things and miss (or gag on) the giants. Strain at will imply the same and some more, that you are overly concerned about the small things while missing the giants.

My concern with "strain out", why it appears to be inferior, is that, from my studies of the issues above, the actual context and sense and grammar of what was spoken by the Lord Jesus apparently fits "strain at" better. It is very easy to see how earlier translators like the Geneva would have felt satisfied with "strain out", there is nothing inconsistent with the phrasing, even though there is a redundancy and a pronoun insertion that is hard to justify. And then it is also very easy to see how the best Greek and English experts, the King James Bible translators, felt that "strain at" was a more true representation of the words of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Shalom,
Steven

Josh 07-25-2008 11:57 AM

Great information! I thank the Lord for clearing this issue up for us, as I've seen this mentioned before as well. Thanks Steven!

Josh

Steven Avery 07-25-2008 12:26 PM

preposition, not pronoun :)

Shalom,
Steven