AV1611 Bible Forum Archive

AV1611 Bible Forum Archive (https://av1611.com/forums/index.php)
-   Doctrine (https://av1611.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   CALVINISM: Sound Doctrine? (https://av1611.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1008)

Cloudwalker 07-15-2009 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gord (Post 23545)
I made a statement:
1. The belief that God predestined people for salvation before the beginning of time. God’s election is not conditioned by anything in man, good or evil, foreseen or present, but upon God’s sovereign choice.

So when God pricks the heart...we don't have a choice to make or God has made that choice for us already? :jaw:

That is some pretty warped theology there Chief...indeed. I guess you'll have to do away with countless Scriptures about believing, faith, choosing...etc.

Choose you this day whom you will serve? Why would Joshua say this if God already chose for us?

LOL, Calvinism is so laughable...but I am sorry for all those who have been bewitched by this doctrine.

BTW, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-OES...e=channel_page

:eek: :pizza:

Forrest 07-15-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloudwalker (Post 24008)
So when God pricks the heart...we don't have a choice to make or God has made that choice for us already? :jaw:

That is some pretty warped theology there Chief...indeed. I guess you'll have to do away with countless Scriptures about believing, faith, choosing...etc.

Choose you this day whom you will serve? Why would Joshua say this if God already chose for us?

LOL, Calvinism is so laughable...but I am sorry for all those who have been bewitched by this doctrine.

BTW, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-OES...e=channel_page

:eek: :pizza:

Good thoughts, Cloudwalker. Brother George has thoroughly covered, with scripture, every single question that has been asked by those who follow the heretical teaching of unconditional election and irresistible grace. It's peculiar to me that now that we are born-again children of the living God...we have a choice, a free will, and the ability to resist His grace. "Choose you this day!" Good one.

Cloudwalker 07-15-2009 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forrest (Post 24027)
we have a choice, a free will, and the ability to resist His grace. "Choose you this day!" Good one.

Outstanding Forrest!

We absolutely can resist His Grace and I will prove it from Scripture...

"Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye." ~ {Acts 7:51}

Blessings!

:)

Forrest 07-15-2009 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloudwalker (Post 24028)
Outstanding Forrest!

We absolutely can resist His Grace and I will prove it from Scripture...

"Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye." ~ {Acts 7:51}

Blessings!

:)

I've always seen my ability to resist grace in this verse:

Titus 2:11-12 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

To my shame, in the 30 years I've been a believer I have resisted the grace that brought salvation and has taught me I should deny ungodliness and worldly lusts, and how I should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world. Would that be resistible grace?

Brother-Smith 07-15-2009 02:24 PM

Help
 
Hello All,

Would you please help me figure out which denominations believe in Calvinism? Reformed Baptists, etc.
I don't know all the lingo.

This study is awesome and blessed by the Lord. Thank You so much!


I grew up in a First Baptist Church and have not been a member of a local congregation in 16 years. We are searching but it seems to me I am finding all kinds of things that disagree with scripture in the local church.


Thanks in advance!

Brother-Smith

Forrest 07-15-2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother-Smith (Post 24047)
Hello All,

Would you please help me figure out which denominations believe in Calvinism? Reformed Baptists, etc.
I don't know all the lingo.

This study is awesome and blessed by the Lord. Thank You so much!


I grew up in a First Baptist Church and have not been a member of a local congregation in 16 years. We are searching but it seems to me I am finding all kinds of things that disagree with scripture in the local church.


Thanks in advance!

Brother-Smith

Brother Smith, I don't know them all, but one group is Reformed Presbyterian.

Brother-Smith 07-15-2009 02:46 PM

Please keep em' coming
 
Thank you brother Forest. I am going to keep a list for my own sanity. I have been a Christian for almost 30 years and never have had this belief system pop up until the last 2 months. I guess I just was either backsliding, reading my bible and walking with the LORD or oblivious. The quest for a church home has really brought this issue into the forefront.

George 07-15-2009 03:05 PM

Re: "CALVINISM: Sound Doctrine?"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother-Smith (Post 24047)
Hello All,

Would you please help me figure out which denominations believe in Calvinism? Reformed Baptists, etc.
I don't know all the lingo.

This study is awesome and blessed by the Lord. Thank You so much!


I grew up in a First Baptist Church and have not been a member of a local congregation in 16 years. We are searching but it seems to me I am finding all kinds of things that disagree with scripture in the local church.


Thanks in advance!

Brother-Smith


Aloha brother Smith,

Here is some information I was able to glean from the NET:

Calvinist Churches in the USA

Reformed Churches
Christian Reformed Church in North America - 198,000
Hungarian Reformed Church in America - 6,000
Netherlands Reformed Congregations in North America - 9,047
Protestant Reformed Churches in America - 6,730
Reformed Church in America - 293,147
Reformed Church in the United States - 4,257

Presbyterian Churches
Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church - 40,600
Cumberland Presbyterian Church - 86,049
Cumberland Presbyterian Church in America - 15,142
Evangelical Presbyterian Church - 63,447
Korea-American Presbyterian Church
Orthodox Presbyterian Church - 25,302
Presbyterian Church in America - 299,055
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) - 3,561,184
Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America - 6,105

Christian Publishing Houses Founded by and Operated by Calvinists
Zondervan Publishing House
Kregel Publishing
Baker Book House

Bible Translation Done Under the Auspices of Calvinists
New International Translation

Other Churches Holding to a Modified Calvinist Position
Southern Baptist Convention - 15,851,756

Information supplied by: Dr. Richard P. Bucher


My wife and I joined an Independent Baptist church (Anatola Baptist Church) in 1966. The pastor was a young man fresh out of Baptist Bible College - he was a full-on 5-Point Calvinist. {We became very close friends - until I became a King James Bible believer (1968) and after that we gradually drifted away from each other.}

I had been saved for about 8 years at the time, and didn't have the slightest inkling what Calvinism was. I only know that that pastor's Library was chock full of Reformed Theologians Commentaries. And when he studied the Bible he might have a half a dozen commentaries strewn around his desk as he prepared his studies and sermons.

During the time that we were friends, that pastor persuaded me to buy some of Arthur W. Pink's books (I ended up with about 12-15 of them), fortunately they bored me (to begin with) and after I became a genuine Bible believer I became aware of Pink's habit of "spiritualizing" the Holy words of God, so I dumped all his books in the rubbish.

The point is - there are Independent Baptist churches that have also embraced Calvinist doctrine, and according to brother Tony Bones, Calvinism has also spread into some of the "Brethren" churches also.

John Calvin's doctrine has infiltrated many different "Christian" Denominations, so we have to be careful which church we fellowship with, because Calvin's doctrines are not just confined to the "Reformed" and "Presbyterian" churches. :(

chette777 07-15-2009 05:33 PM

Even some Calvary Chapel churches have adopted certain points of Calvinism.

Luke 07-15-2009 07:01 PM

You should add English Standard Version to the Calvinist Bibles. I understand the KJB was also done by Calvinists, but the ESV was done especially for Calvinists, with a focus on translating in "their favour", so to speak.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Website AV1611.Com.
Posts represent only the opinions of users of this forum and do not necessarily represent the opinions of the webmaster.

Software for Believing Bible Study