AV1611 Bible Forum Archive

AV1611 Bible Forum Archive (https://av1611.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bible Studies (https://av1611.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Dispensational Truth and Error (https://av1611.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1374)

Winman 06-22-2009 08:06 AM

Dispensational Truth and Error

It is no secret that there has been a big conflict between myself and Bro George lately. My disagreement with him is not that there are not dispensations in the Bible. It is not that the word of truth should be rightly divided.

My biggest concern is that this teaching teaches that the Jews are saved in a different manner than the Gentiles, that there is more than one gospel. I personally believe there is only one gospel.

Gal 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

That this is the same gospel preached to all believers is shown in chapter 3.

Gal 3:8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

A dispensationalist might argue this verse only applies to Gentiles, but the words "In thee" show that it also applied to the Jews.

Anyway, I found this very informative article. The reason I am posting it is because it goes into detail about this very important difference in belief between some of us here. I'm sure it will open up much discussion. I hope that everyone here can discuss their differences with civility.

Here is the entire article.

Quote:

DISPENSATIONAL TRUTH AND ERROR

By Pastor Lee Spencer
Our Bible Heritage Web Site
A local church ministry of Adrian Baptist Church in Canisteo, New York

"For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. For what saith the Scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness." ~ Romans 4:1-5

"The just shall live by his faith." ~ Habakkuk 2:4

" . . . for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified . . . even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness." ~ Galatians 2:16; 3:6

"By faith Abraham . . ." ~ Hebrews 11:8,9,17

Abraham, "show me (James, and we who read James) thy faith without thy works . . . was not Abraham our father justified by works ("but not before God") when he had offered up Isaac his son upon the altar? Seest thou [his faith] . . .?"

~ James 2:21,22

"For without faith it is impossible to please him." ~ Hebrews 11:6

Let me state from the outset, that I am a dispensationalist. But let me quickly add that I am not an ultra-dispensationalist, which is not the way to rightly divide the Word of Truth.

ALL MEN in every dispensation have been made just by God, before God by grace through faith alone, apart from any works they did to earn or keep their just standing before God.

What work did Adam do to merit the covering God made for his nakedness? The only thing Adam did was to stand by and watch God do for him what he could not do for himself. Adam simply believed God and the work that God did for him. He would prove the validity of his faith (not to God, but to others) by his actions of faithfully teaching his son, Abel, the importance of the shedding of blood in any sacrifice that would be acceptable to God. He also taught his other son, Cain, but evidently the attitude of Cain did not allow what his father had taught him to take hold as it did with Abel.

In every dispensation men receive forgiveness, cleansing and justification before God simply by believing the present revelation that God gives of Himself to them in that dispensation.

In every dispensation men receive forgiveness, cleansing and justification before God by simply believing the present revelation that God gives of Himself to them in that dispensation. They testified to others concerning their faith in what God did for them by their obedience to what had been revealed to them. But God knows every man's heart beforehand, and does not need the outward appearance (show of works) to know what is in man (John 2:24,25.

Christ's Sacrifice is the Only Acceptable

Sacrifice in the Old Testament

The study of former dispensations, and God's revelation to them, and their faith or lack of faith in what God revealed to them, is all recorded for our admonition (I Corinthians 10:11). The only way that we can see their faith or lack of it is by seeing their works. God sees their faith without their works, we see their faith by their works Luther and ultra-dispensationalists may have trouble seeing this, and fail to understand Hebrews and James, but men who rightly divide the Word of Truth have no trouble at all in following the Holy Spirit's guidance in these books which are profitable portions of God's truth for this present dispensation.

Men are not responsible for the revelations which God has given in past dispensations. These revelations are progressive, and one dispensation's revelations are built upon a former dispensation's, and thus former revelations are instructive for each succeeding dispensation. We can learn from each dispensation, and apply that wisdom to our present dispensation. An example of this is that we learn that the Law is not given to men to make one righteous, but to act as a schoolmaster to point us to Christ. Thus all dispensations are related to each other, and important to a complete understanding and to right teaching of the whole counsel of God.

Neither are men responsible for what is to be revealed in future dispensations. They only need believe the light which God gives them for that dispensation. It is when men cross over those dispensational boundaries, mixing specific revelations from various dispensations, that cults and false teachings arise, confusing many and clouding the simple truths God has for this present dispensation. An example of that is the placing of Tribulation events and practices in the church age, or placing the Church in the Tribulation. This leads to the confusion of pre, post and mid-trib raptures, and cultic teachings such as the preterit and Jehovah's Witness' claims that Christ has already come.

The example of Adam, who lived in the Dispensation of Innocence in the Garden, and was ushered into the Dispensation of Conscience through the sacrifice of an innocent animal in his place, has already been cited. But let us look at other examples in other dispensations to show the validity of the blanket statement that "by the works of the flesh shall no flesh be justified" in God's sight.

"But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord" (Genesis 6:8). It is then stated that "Noah was a just man" (verse 9), after, and only because he received grace form the Lord. His works followed after, as a testimony to his generation and to us of his faith in God. He believed God when God said it was going to rain upon the earth, when there had never been such a phenomenon as rain in the 500 years Noah had already lived.

He built an ark in the middle of the dry land because he believed God, not to earn his salvation. God entrusted Noah with the task after Noah found God's grace through faith, and because God knew Noah would obey by faith. Noah's faith was made justifiable (perfect) in the eyes of human beings by men (and us) seeing his obedience to God. That is all that Genesis six and James two teaches us. Nothing more, and certainly, nothing less.

How about Job, whom God calls "perfect and upright, and one that feareth God, and escheweth evil." (Job 1:1,8). Was he upright because he kept the Law? Of course not: the Law was not even written until centuries later! Job was upright because he had been redeemed. "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth." (Job 19:25). He also knew and believed more than the sad-you-see Saducees, for he believed God's revelation of a future resurrection, "And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God." (verse 26).

Poor Job, we say! But, dear reader, he knew more solid doctrine than the vast majority of professing Christians today! Where did he get all this superior knowledge of God, when as yet not one page of Scripture had yet been penned? He had a Redeemer, whom he knew personally, and thus he knew that one day he would be raised by his Redeemer to walk in glory with the God of all grace.

The only way to explain all that the Bible says about Lot, the compromiser, who walked by sight and not by faith, is through grace. There is no other way you can explain how God can call him just and righteous! "And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked: (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;) The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished."

Here was a man who strove with righteous Abraham (sounds like a lot of believers today, who like to squabble with other believers). Here was a man who, walking by sight, chose the well-watered lands of the plains, instead of leaving the choice up to God He pitched his tent toward a city of abominable sinners; then he decided he could live with it, it wasn't so bad, and so he purchased a house in the very center of Sin City. He not only backslid, he also came to the point where he was willing to stay in the presence of sin! We have too many Christians today who have fallen into Lot's life-style Christianity!

Next, we see him sitting in the gate of the city: the place of prominence, where the city's elected judges sat! His life had become so compromising that the sinners felt so comfortable around him that they would lift him to prominence and prestige because they were confident his life would never be a rebuke to their wicked life-style! With that kind of living, Lot dare say anything judgmental against the life-style that he tolerated.

Even when God dragged the reluctant compromiser out of the place of wickedness, he had become so accustomed to the life-style that he could not bear to leave the plain. His compromising cost him his opportunity to witness to lost and dying souls destined for destruction. It cost him his family, his possessions and his position. His compromising led to continued sin, including drunken incest with his own daughters!

His disobedient refusal to totally leave the place of sin left abominable sinners a foothold in the land. Here, in Canaan, the Canaanite sinners would multiply and replenish the land, to trouble future generations of God's people centuries later, when they would return from their captivity in Egypt and seek to possess their God-given land! The consequences of compromise exacts a terrible toll, and affects much more than just the compromiser!

How in the world can the Holy Spirit call such a despicable man as Lot just and righteous? He even categorizes Lot with the godly! Whoa, o woe! Did God not see all Lot's backsliding compromise, and the insurmountable damaged it caused to everyone around him and for generations to come? "Thou God seest me," not only applied to Hagar, it applies to every soul who will ever walk the face of this planet, including Lot. Does not God know, does He not care? How His heart must have been breaking for Lot, and for all those whom Lot so wrongly affected. But God still saw Lot through the eyes of grace, apart from works, positive or negative.

As far as James' letter goes, Lot never once showed his faith. To human eyes Lot is not justified in claiming to be a servant of God. But man looks on the outward appearance, while God sees what is in the heart. What man cannot see God sees, and whether we see it or not, God sees Lot as just and righteous. Is God unrighteous to deem such an one as Lot as just? Would you fault God, or can we bow in awesome wonder, and admit that the God of all grace is greater and wiser then we? No wonder God has not made us judges over other men. We would blow it every time!

What one work can you cite in all the Genesis story of Lot that would hint at his righteousness. If it were not for God's testimony to Lot's being just and righteous in II Peter, would we ever guess how God judges him? If men are saved by their works in the Old Testament, then Lot was unjust, unrighteous, ungodly and lost for all eternity. God saw something in Lot (how about the application of His unmerited grace) that we can only see ourselves by accepting God's New Testament witness concerning Lot.

Again, there is the example of Samson. Samson - the practical joker, the man who played games with God and lost! He lost his strength, his eyesight, his credibility and eventually his life. Yet amazingly, in Hebrews eleven, God cites him as an example of a man of faith! Or how about Jacob, the cheat, the liar? Or Moses the Murderer? Or Solomon, the dumbest wise man who ever lived? Or Jonah fish-breath? Show me their faith, or their lack of it, by their works and God will override every example of faithlessness with His incontrovertible declaration, "By faith!"

You may teach and believe error if you love contradicting God, but as for me and my house, we will stand with God when He says, "By the works of the law shall no flesh be justified." God may have been writing that to the Galatian Christians, but the statement encompasses all men in every dispensation. "The just shall live by [his] faith," not by his works! That truth is so important that God repeats it four times in Scripture: Habbakuk 2:4; Romans 1:17; Galatians 3:11; Hebrews 10:28. Do you not hear the Word of God, or are you enamored with your own private interpretation?

When God says "The doers of the law are just before God," what is He talking about? Balance what He says in Romans 2:13 with Romans 3:10-23 "There is none righteous . . there is none that doeth good, no not one . . all have sinned and come short of the glory of God." How do you reconcile these two extremes? God cannot lie, neither does He play word and mind games. He means what He says, and says what He means. Jesus, answering men living in the Dispensation of Law, reconciles these two diverse statements in John six. He was asked, "What shall we do, that that we might work the works of God?" (verse 28). Our Lord answers, "This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent." You see, the work of God is to believe on Christ without lifting a finger! A few moments later He would plainly state, Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath eternal life." (verse 47).

Now the argument is well taken, at least on the surface, that the Old Testament saints never knew the man called Jesus Christ. Yet it is recorded that many Old Testament saints called upon the name of the Lord. In Enos' day men began to sense their need and to call upon the name of the Lord (Genesis 4:26). There are well over 300 names of God given in the Bible. Whatever name God revealed Himself by to these saints in those dispensations, they called upon that name. And that was sufficient to save them, apart from works. "Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved/delivered." (Joel 2:32; Acts 2:21; Romans 10:13). Noah, Abraham, Jacob, David, and all the Old Testament saints called on the name of the Lord. That's all God requires for justification and salvation in any dispensation. All men are saved by grace through faith: faith that is placed in the revelation God gives of Himself in each dispensation.

David, in his great sin (no greater than ours), broke all ten of the commandments. His works certainly could never make him just before a holy and righteous God who demands, "be ye holy for I am holy," and "without holiness no man shall see the Lord." How then, was he made just? The only thing left to David was the sure mercies brought to him by the God of all grace. David was saved by grace through faith.

How about the repentant thief on the cross? Born, and now dying under the Dispensation of Law, what work did he do, could he do, under the Law? This thief, fixed to across until he died, could not make restitution to those he had wronged, as the Law commanded. Neither could he enter the temple, bringing a lamb which could be offered upon the altar for his sin. And please do not give me this hedge that this was a transitional period. The Dispensation of Law did not end until the moment Christ died. The Dispensation of Grace did not start until the Dispensation of Law ended - there was no overlapping of the two. Yet the thief was justified and ushered into Paradise with Jesus totally by grace through faith without one work being done by the thief before or after his salvation.

On and on we could go citing multiplied examples of Old Testament saints who were saved by grace through faith. God devotes an entire chapter, Hebrews eleven, to recounting the faith of those whom God justified by grace through faith. Their works never saved them, nor kept them saved, but only testified of their faith to countless generations who have since read God's record. That is the import of the phrase "so great a cloud of witnesses" recorded in Hebrews 12:1.

To put it as clearly as possible: if the Lord Jesus Christ had not shed His precious blood at Calvary, no Old Testament saint would be in heaven today. All their obedience, as perfect as a fallen human being could have performed, would still have left them falling short of God's glory, for that glory can only be obtained through Christ's perfect, sinless righteousness imputed to them by faith (Romans 4:5,6; 10:1-4). Neither is keeping God's Law an intermediate step that made them eligible to receive the atonement provided by Christ. That would imply that something had to be added to Christ's sacrifice to make it complete, or that the Old Testament saints were not saved by the blood of Christ, but by their works. That would mean that God owed them their salvation, because they earned it (Romans 4:4). This is not Bible truth!

It is true in any age, that God saves those who call upon the name of the Lord. Granted, these Old Testament saints did not know Jesus Christ by name. Carelessly, and for the last time I hope, I have use the trite phrase, "They looked forward to Christ." No, they believed God, and put their faith in the revelation that God gave to them in that particular dispensation. That was all they were responsible for, and that simple faith placed in whatever God revealed to them was counted unto them for righteousness.

But many Old Testament saints did see Christ's day, and the work of redemption He would accomplish. Christ, Himself, makes this direct statement concerning Abraham, "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day, and saw it, and rejoiced in it." (John 8:56). Though Abraham did not know Christ by His earthly name, He was the friend of God, and Jesus is God. So whom did Abraham know as his Friend?

Not only that, but Abraham rejoiced to see his Friend's day. Jesus said he did see it and was glad. I, too, would be extremely glad if in seeing Christ's day, the life of my son was saved from slaughter on the altar! He certainly saw Christ's day in the provision of an adult lamb (a ram) who took his son's place, and died in his son's place. No wonder Abraham could say before the fact and with great confidence that "The Lord will provide himself a sacrifice." Abraham knew more than that for which we give him credit: the untampered Hebrew text expresses that "The Lord will provide himself as a sacrifice." The English translation, when read correctly, causes the "as" to be understood in the context.

An interesting sidelight: Mount Moriah, upon which Isaac was to be offered, is Mount Calvary of Jesus' day! I would not be surprised to learn some day that the altar was built on the exact same spot as Christ's cross would centuries later be planted.

Adam certainly saw Christ's day in the sacrifice of an innocent animal after he had momentously disobeyed God's simple command. David saw Christ's day in Psalm 22. Isaiah saw Christ's day in Isaiah 53. No, they did not know Him as Jesus Christ, but they knew Him as their sacrificial Redeemer, by one of His many Old Testament names. More insight into this truth can be gleaned from Nathan Stone's book published by the old Moody Colportage Press, entitled "The Names of God" Further insight can also be obtained in Ervin Hershberger's book "Seeing Christ in the Old Testament," distributed by Choice Books of Northern Virginia, 11923 Lee Highway, Fairfax, VA 22030.

Tribulation and Millennial Sacrifice

Let us pass on to the future dispensation. First, let it be established that every dispensation ends with a judgment upon the disobedient of that dispensation. Expulsion was the judgment upon the Dispensation of Innocence. The flood was the judgment upon the Dispensation of Conscience. The confusion of tongues and the dispersion at the tower of Babel was the judgment upon the Dispensation of Human Government. The Captivity in Egypt is the judgment upon the Dispensation of Promise. The Cross was God's judgment upon the Dispensation of Law.

The Tribulation period, often placed by some as a separate dispensation, is in reality the judgment of God upon the Christ-rejecters of the Dispensation of Grace. Then we come to the next dispensation, commonly known as the Millennial reign of Christ. Whether you categorize the Tribulation Period as a separate dispensation, or the judgment upon our present Dispensation of Grace, many more serious errors are being taught concerning these two periods of time.

Take, for instance, the teaching that in these two periods people will return to the Old Testament sacrifices for justification before God. True, the unbelieving Jews will set up sacrifices in the rebuilt temple in Jerusalem, but the 144,000 saved and sealed Jews will "look upon [Christ] whom they have pierced" (Zechariah 12:10; Revelation 1:7). They will recognize their Paschal Lamb as the risen Lord Jesus Christ, and will accept His once-for-all sacrifice for their sins. "For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats should take away sin." (Hebrews 10:4). As the ultra-dispensationalists like to remind us, this is the book for them (the future Tribulation and Millennial saints), not us! If that be the case, Chapters 10 and 11 will teach them that faith in His blood shed at Calvary is the only remedy for sin. The great multitude won by their testimony, will be pointed to the death, burial and resurrection of the soon coming Saviour, King Jesus, not to the temple in Jerusalem, where the Abomination of Desolation shall seat himself as God.

During the Millennium, the Lamb of God, Son of David, King of kings and Lord of lords will sit on the throne/mercy seat in the Millennial temple in Jerusalem, with the veil removed, and all the nations of the world will resort to Him. There will be no temple sacrifice, for that would be blasphemous in the presence of Him who replaced the Old Testament sacrifices once for ever with His one-time, all sufficient sacrifice. Those who teach this error do not recognize the all-sufficiency of the sacrifice that Christ made at Calvary. He died for all men, past, present and future!

In Numbers 2:33, after Moses had numbered the Israelites as God had commanded him, it is recorded that "the Levites were not numbered among the children of Israel; as the Lord commanded Moses." Twelve tribes are named and numbered, but the tribe of Levi is not among them because they are reserved by God "to do the service of the temple." (Numbers 3:7,8). God redeemed and sanctified the sons of Levi to be the priests of God to do the temple service of God, which would include the offering of the animal sacrifices and blood offerings. But when you come to the 144,000 Israelites that will be sealed by God during the Tribulation, the tribe of Levi is not singled out to resume their priestly duties, but are numbered as one of the twelve tribes. Why is this so? Because there will be no priests in God's restored Israel to administer Tribulation or Millennial sacrifices.

On the cross, when Christ cried, "It is finished!" the animal sacrifices ceased forever for God's people, never again to be instituted as a replacement or a suplement to Christ's shed blood. It is Christ's shed blood, sprinkled on the mercy-seat in heaven, that cleanses from sin (I John 1:7). No animal's blood is so holy and pure that it can replace or augment Christ's. To teach otherwise is to count "the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing," and to "do despite unto the Spirit of grace." (Hebrews 10:29).

It is interesting to note that Satan is the one who promotes the continuation of animal, and even human blood sacrifices. God will not allow Voodoo, Witchcraft, transubstantiation and mutilation to pollute His holy altar! Mark this down, if you do not now believe that all men in every dispensation are saved by grace through faith, you will someday! There will never again be the practice of animal sacrifices by God's people. Secular, unsaved Israel more than likely will observe the Old Testament sacrifices, but not God's people!

Jumping back to the Old Testament saints, have you ever wondered why, when Christ died, "the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, and came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many" (Matthew 27:52,53)? According to I Corinthians 15:20, Christ is the "firstfruits of the resurrection." Now Jesus, being an individual, is resurrected, but firstfruits is plural. The significance is found in the saints who came out of the grave and appeared to many in Jerusalem. But note: they came out of their graves only after Christ's resurrection. No one could arise with glorified bodies until Christ arose; even Lazarus faced death after his being raised from the dead by Christ.

The order of the resurrections found in I Corinthians 15 correspond to three Old Testament feasts. The wave offering was the _expression of thanksgiving for the firstfruits of the harvest. It signified the initial ripening of some fruit before the major harvest. The major harvest and its accompanying feast of trumpets corresponds to the resurrection of the New Testament saints at both the rapture and the Lord's return. The final gleanings and its feast corresponds to the souls who will receive their glorified bodies when they believe on Christ during the Millennium.

The difficulties that the Ultra-Dispensationists' position present are numerous. First there is their penchant for compartmentalizing God's Word to support their position. They would teach us that the Old Testament books, Hebrews, James and I Peter are not for us today. Have they never read II Timothy 3:16,17: "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works?" If Hebrews is not for our day and time, then we cannot talk of Christ's blood doing for us what the blood of bulls and goats cannot do. If this book is solely for the Tribulation and Millennial saints, then it condemns the very practice of renewed animal sacrifices in the rebuilt temple, which they claim is the only valid method by which God will count a man justified and righteous! Suddenly, Christ's sacrifice is not finished, despite His victory cry on Calvary, "It is finished!"

Their position is inconsistent with the whole counsel of God's Word, which they purport to uphold. Now if their whole counsel of God's Word is true, then God's Hall of Faith in Hebrews eleven is not for us today, but solely for the Tribulation and Millennial saints. Rightly dividing God's Word leads us to accept that Hebrews and James are written for both dispensations, and it will teach the 144,000 that faith is what pleases God (Hebrews 11:6) and makes them able to approach His holy presence. But the Ultra-Dispensationalists' version of the whole counsel of God says the 144,000 must be saved by their works! The ridiculousness of this position is so evident to all except those who Satan is able to blind with a man's self-important "better revelation" which they call the whole counsel of God's Word. In reality, it is a false doctrine, a doctrine of devils, deceptive and destructive to all who would embrace and teach it to others. If you want to be called the least in the Kingdom of Heaven, go ahead and teach the false doctrine of Ultra-dispensationalism (Matthew 5:19).

Acts 4:11,12 makes a striking statement that bridges the gap between all the dispensations of both the Old and New Testaments. "This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."

In the Old Testament God vowed "that unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear." He repeats this same vow in the New Testament, "As it is written, every knee shall bow to me, every tongue shall confess to God" (Romans 14:11). He leaves no doubt as to who He is in both the Old and New by restating the vow: "that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." (Philippians 2:10). This certainly leaves absolutely no one out, no matter resurrected and in heaven, or walking the face of this world, or buried in the grave below! All shall bow, from Adam to the last man born into this world, not to a generic god, but to a living God whose name is Jesus! Only He is the worthy Lamb, slain from the foundation of the world, for all mankind's sin.

How could anyone stand before the precious, spotless, holy Lamb of God and tell Him that His loving sacrifice is not absolutely sufficient for a man's salvation in any age? This is a slap on the face of my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ that I cannot stand idly by and ignore. I take it personally when anyone maligns the one who loved me and gave Himself for me. You may say, do not get so personal and emotional about it, but I say, do not treat the Lover of my soul so carelessly. After all, if it was not for Him, you would not stand a chance, and neither would anyone else!

Sacrifice for You and Me Today

We do not live in any of the past dispensations. We who have been saved by grace through faith in this dispensation will not need to be overly concerned with how souls will be saved in any future dispensation. In, fact, other than to establish dispensational truth, for believers to focus on this one aspect of doctrine and to separate from others who do not hold to the same view, is to major on a minor. To treat it as though it is of major importance to our own salvation and our living godly lives in Christ, is to shift the focus of our attention away from the simplicity that is in Christ. How Satan loves that! Anything to side-track us from the main task for which Christ has left us here.

Souls are not saved by knowing how people supposedly got saved in other dispensations. I have yet to meet anyone who has been led to Jesus Christ by being taught the first thing about previous or future dispensations, unless it be that judgment lies ahead for all who refuse Jesus Christ. Souls are saved by pointing them to Jesus Christ and living such a life before them that they desire to have what we have.

The Apostle Paul had a prolific ministry in difficult and dangerous times. Hundreds of thousands of souls came to Christ in that first century. Hundreds of churches sprung up throughout the Roman Empire and beyond, many of them the result of Paul's missionary journeys. What was Paul's secret?

"I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ; for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, the just shall live by faith" (Romans 1:16,17). That is why Paul would tell the Corinthians, "I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified." (I Corinthians 2:2).

"For Christ sent me . . . to preach the gospel"

(I Corinthians 1:17). And what is this Gospel that the Lord sent him to preach? In I Corinthians 15:1-4 he describes it: "Moreover, bretheren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preach unto you . . . how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; and that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures." Anything that takes up time preaching or defending other themes that do not pertain to the Gospel is a subtle device of Satan designed to rob us of time doing what Paul did - reaching souls for Jesus Christ.

The whole issue seems to appeal to men's egotistical desire to have some corner of "truth" that no one else has. Suddenly one has more knowledge than his "less spiritual" brothers. And if these brothers will not acknowledge that superior knowledge, then he must separate from them in order to remain unhindered in his teaching the "whole counsel of God." This is nothing more than spiritual pride.

Personally, I have watched helplessly as a few close associates and long-time friends have embraced this untenable position. They soon become arrogant, hostile and condemning. Their self-imposed separation tends eventually to lead to bitterness and isolation. No one knows the truth they alone possess!

Our hope is in Christ. Our message to others is "be ye reconciled to God." (II Corinthians 5:20). Like Paul, we ought to approach others with this scriptural attitude: "For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified." (I Corinthians 2:2). Ultra-dispensationalism takes the focus off of Christ and Him crucified.

If you have drifted into this clever distraction of Satan, get your mind and heart off of that which "are words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers." (II Timothy 2:14). Be careful, dear friend, that what you teach does not "overthrow the faith of some" (II Timothy 2:18), even if it is not exactly what Hymenaeus and Philetus taught.

Quite the contrary to you having to break fellowship with other bretheren, you may place yourself in the position where the bretheren may have to obey God and break fellowship with you. "If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; he is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, perverse disputings . . . from such withdraw thyself." (I Timothy 6:3-5).

"Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believeth" (Romans 10:4). In context, that was written concerning the Old Testament Jews, but it was also written as an example warning us to cease from our own self-righteous efforts, and call upon the name of the Lord. His sacrifice is the only acceptable sacrifice for the remission of our sins in this day and age, as well as in every age. "He is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world" (I John 2:2).

At the risk of being redundant, it is very important for the sake of emphasis, that we repeat once more the tragedies of ultra-dispensationalism. No matter what one believes about how people get saved in other dispensations, the dispensation we have to deal with is this dispensation. Our plea to unsaved men is not based upon what we believe about other dispensations.

To major on teaching men about other ways of salvation in other dispensations clouds the present issue of how they must be saved in this dispensation (Acts 4:12). It is a cleverly designed ploy of Satan to keep us focused on the unimportant, while souls slip by us into an eternity without Christ. Precious souls, for whom Christ died, are dependent upon our giving them what they need to know about how they can be saved today.

Furthermore, it needlessly divides brothers in Christ. It feeds the starving ego (which should be dead - Romans 6) of a believer looking for recognition as a teacher of the "whole counsel of God." It is a form of one-upmanship that in reality makes that one someone who will be called the least in the kingdom of heaven (Matthew 5:19). It eventually affects one's relationship with other believers.

A man can have right doctrine, and still live wrong, which sadly describes the problem of many who seek to follow Christ today. But a man cannot have wrong doctrine, and still live right. Works for salvation in any dispensation is wrong, and it puts stumbling blocks in the paths of others who are seeking God's truth. It is direct disobedience to the plain command of God: "Judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way." (Romans 14:13). "He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him." (I John 2:10).

The SEVEN DISPENSATIONS

The seven dispensations are progressive in nature, each bringing to man a more detailed revelation of God and His dealings with man. In each dispensation man is justified by God through a man's willingness to believe in the present revelation God has given them (Hebrews 11).

Each dispensation is also a revelation of man's failure in his response to God's newer revelation to that dispensation. Each dispensation ends in a judgment by God upon that dispensation for men who have refused to believe God.

DISPENSATION JUDGMENT__

ETERNITY PAST

CREATION

1. INNOCENCE EXPULSION

2. CONSCIENCE FLOOD

3. HUMAN GOVERNMENT BABEL

4. PROMISE CAPTIVITY

5. LAW CROSS

6. GRACE TRIBULATION *

7. MILLENNIAL REIGN GOG & MAGOG

ETERNITY FUTURE

* Some teach the tribulation as a separate dispensation, but it is God's judgment on the day of Grace.

ETERNITY PAST

PERSONS: God the Father;

God, the Son and

God, the Holy Spirit

existing as the one true and Eternal God.

PLACES: Heaven, the sinless and eternal abode of God.

ENVIRONMENT: Sublime and sinless perfection.

GOD'S HOLY WORD: "Forever, O Lord, thy word is settled in heaven." (Psalm 119:89).

REDEMPTION: It was in eternity that God predetermined that Christ would die for the sins of all men (Revelation13:8), and stated in His sovereignty that "Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." It was then that God foreknew who would trust Christ and it was then that He predestinated them "to be conformed to the image of his Son." (Romans 8:29). That God's predestination applies to believers only is revealed in Christ's statement, "Depart from me, ye that work iniquity, I never knew you." (Matthew 7:23)

CREATION

"In the beginning God created the heaven* and the earth." (Genesis 1:1). It was during this time that God also created the angels, for they were there when God laid the foundations of the earth, beginning in Genesis 1:2.

(Job 38:4-7). Creation means to make something out of nothing, a feat that no man can do and intellectual scientists and philosophers cannot explain. The theories of evolution

. and the "big bang" must start with something; God started with nothing but Himself!

* Most modern translation read "heavens," but God did not divide the heaven until day two

1.The Dispensation of INNOCENCE

Begins with the creation of man on day six and continuing until Adam and Eve's expulsion from the Garden. (Genesis 1:25-3:24). Most likely the shortest of all the dispensations; it could have lasted only as long as from day six to day eight.

The expulsion of the first family was God's judgment upon that dispensation. That God did not slay them on the spot is the direct result of that lamb dying in their place. The substitutionary sacrifice of an innocent animal foreshadows the Lamb of God, slain from the foundation of the world. Thus it was probably a lamb that died in order to keep true to the typical pattern laid out in Scripture.

The lessons to be learned are that even when man is innocent, he does not possess the capacity to obey God. The environment was perfect, so sin is not the result of environment. They had direct access to God, so sin was not the result of a lack of knowledge or education. Paul says that "Sin, taking occasion by the commandment, slew me." (Romans 7:8). How true this was of Satan, who took occasion by the simple commandment of God given in Genesis 2:16,17, and deceived and slew the guilty pair.

2. The Dispensation of CONSCIENCE

The Dispensation of Conscience begins with the expulsion and continues through the flood, which was God's judgment upon that dispensation. It shows the failure of man to properly respond to the pricks of God to the individual conscience of fallen man. It teaches us that, although God still holds the reins* of control over man's conscience, its depravity is clear, for in the end of this era, "God saw the wickedness of man was great in the earth,

and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only

* A study of the word "reins" shows that God controls fallen man through conscience.

evil continually." (Genesis 6:5).

Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord and was commanded to build an ark. He responded in faith, seen by his obedience. Noah was saved by grace through faith, and his faith was made perfect by his works after receiving grace and faith. Faith, given by God's grace, always produces good works, but man's good works never merit God's grace. If your faith produces no good works, my friend, your faith is vain.

All men could have been saved from God's judging flood by the same grace that Noah found, for God gave them 120 years to repent before He judged them.

Some of the other characters introduced to us during the Dispensation of Conscience are Cain, the first murderer, and Abel, the righteous brother he slew. In the days of Enos, men began to call upon the name of the Lord (Genesis 4:26). Men are always saved by calling upon the name of the Lord, "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Joel 2:32; Acts 2:21; Romans 10:13). This answers the question of how Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord is found in Noah's believing God's promise and calling upon the name of the Lord.

The man who lived to be the oldest man to ever live, Methusaleh (969 years), and Enoch, who walked with God and was not for God took him, were two other characters who lived during this period. It is very appropriate that Methuselah died in the same year as the flood came, for his name basically means, "When he shall die, it (God's judgment) shall come."

Man flooded the world with sin; and God flooded the world to wash away that sin and give Noah and his family a new chance in a new dispensation. The period of this dispensation covers a span of approximately 1650 years, from the time of expulsion to the end of the flood. Eight souls emerged to find a further revelation of God in the Dispensation of Human Government.

3. The Dispensation of HUMAN GOVERNMENT

The Dispensation of Human Government begins with Noah and is judged by God at the Tower of Babel with the confusion of tongues and the scattering of the people across the face of the earth. Prominent characters of this period are Noah's three sons, Shem, Ham and Japheth; Nimrod, his son, Asshur (Ninus in ancient history), who built Ninevah.

It was with the death of Nimrod, possibly at the hands of Shem, and the birth of Asshur that goddess worship began. According to ancient records, Nimrod had been raised to the status of a god. Shortly after his death his wife, Semaramis, gave birth to a son, who was proclaimed to be the reincarnation of Nimrod.

The son was proclaimed by Semaramis to be the son of god, and she the mother of god. This tradition carried on to almost every religion around the globe. In Phoenicia she was known as Ashteroth or Ashtoreth, from which came her pagan festival known as Easter. In Canaan God forbade His people to worship her as the queen of heaven (Jeremiah 7:18; 44:17-25).

In New Testament times these attributes and titles filtered down to Diana, goddess of the Ephesians. In 431 a.d., Rome incorporated her worship into the organized church, and assigned those titles to Mary. This pagan worship of a fantasized mother of god and queen of heaven permeates the church of Rome to this day.

4. The Dispensation of PROMISE

During this period God would establish the family of Heber as His people through whom He would teach the world of Himself and His love. It was also during this period that Abraham, who would be known as the father of faith, would see Christ's day and be glad in it (Genesis 22:713; John 8:56; Hebrews 11:1719).

Isaac, Jacob and Joseph would all play major roles in God's further revelation of Himself and His love to man. "These all,, having obtained a good report THROUGH FAITH, received not the promise: God having provided something better for us, that they without us should not be made perfect." We see their faith by their works, and we know they are justified in their faith, because we see their example of works that were the result of their faith (James 2:20-22).

How beautifully and completely God's Word fits together when we rightly divide the Word of truth! (II Timothy 2:15). But, as with all of the dispensations, man failed, and God judges this dispensation with Israel's bondage in Egypt. Truly, "all have sinned and come short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23).

5. The Dispensation of LAW

God's loving discipline of His wayward children may be long and sometimes severe, but it is never eternal (Hebrews 12:5-11). Four hundred years would elapse before God had prepared the children of Israel for His next revelation of Himself and His love.

Their journey into a more perfect understanding of God would begin with another lesson in the importance of the shed blood of an innocent sacrifice being God's ultimate remedy for sin. Knowing that God is omniscient, it is no mistake that in every major language, the sea they crossed was the Red Sea! Despite modern theologians who scoff at God and His miracles, it was not the Reed Sea they crossed. Beware of Bible maps that show their path as crossing the lower Nile delta: they passed through an over-their-heads sea of water.

Neither is their forty years of wanderings in the Wilderness of "Sin" accidental. Oh, I know these two words are English, and not Hebrew, but God knew it all along! Sometimes I believe God has a little fun with the confusion of earthly languages.

The main lesson we can learn from this dispensation is that the Law was never designed by God to make a man righteous. Quite the contrary, the Law was given to lovingly point out the fact of how far short of God's glory all men come (Romans 3:10-23).

As Paul says, "The law . . . was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made. But the scriptures hath concluded ALL UNDER SIN, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith." (Galatians 3:19,22,24). The all includes both Old and New Testament saints and the promise is given to all who believe, both Old and New Testament souls who have, will or shall call upon the name (by which they knew Him) of the Lord.

Hebrews eleven names many from the Dispensation of the Law who by faith in the God they knew, called upon Him and were saved. God's judgment upon this dispensation culminates in the death of the Lord Jesus Christ on the cross, who fulfilled all the Law for all those who, in all ages, could never fulfill the Law. To believe that any man in any age could fulfill the whole Law and bypass Jesus Christ and His sacrifice, or add to His sacrifice, is a slap in the face of the Saviour "who loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood." (Revelation 1:5). It shows a woeful ignorance of God's Holy Word, and an inability to rightly divide the Word of truth.

6. The Dispensation of GRACE

"For the law was given by [through] Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ." (John 1:17). Each dispensation has its own special revelation of God and His love. The Dispensation of Grace is so named not because it is the only dispensation where God deals with man by grace, but because it is this dispensation that the wonderful grace of God is fully understood in the Person and work of the Lord Jesus Christ. Remember, Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord, and he certainly did not live in the same dispensation in which you and I live. God's grace through faith has been and will continue to be in operation in every dispensation, but it is only now, in this dispensation, that this great mystery has been fully revealed (Ephesians 3:2-6).

Christ did it all for everybody in every age (Ephesians 2:11-18). The atonement was not limited, as some would claim. The Lamb of God was slain for the sins of the whole world (John 1:29; I John 4:14). He is the propitiation for the sins of unbelievers as well as believers (I John 2:2).

Today, over six billion souls populate the earth that God created for man to inhabit. That is more than 50% of all the people who have ever lived from Adam to now. There is no more opportune time for God's grace to be manifested to the fullest. There is no more opportune time for God's people to proclaim the good news that Christ died for you. Yet Satan has devised so many deceptive lies to keep us from sharing the grace of God with others. Just think, if all men would be saved (as God desires - II Peter 3:9), over half of all the soulls ever breathed into existence by God would be in heaven instead of hell!

What a terrible tragedy if we do not buy up every opportunity to get the eternal Word of God into the eternal souls of men! But what a glorious opportunity to reap the golden harvest if we keep ourselves busy about our Father's business as our Lord did. How long do we have? What if we fail?

The tragic judgment of God lies just over the horizon when Christ will appear in the clouds and call the believers home (I Thessalonians 4:13-18; Revelation 4:1-5:14). Then the wicked one will be revealed (II Thessalonians 2:9). The seven-year Tribulation Period will begin when God will pour out His wrath upon a Christ-rejecting, unbelieving world (verses 10-12). This is the judgment which concludes the Dispensation of Grace.

The Dispensation of MILLENNIAL REIGN

Much has been made by some of the re-institution of the Levitical sacrifices during both the Tribulation and Millennial periods. This will probably be the practice of those Jews who reject Christ as their Messiah, but it will not be the practice of believers. Christ is our great High Priest, not after the order of Aaron, but after the order of Melchisedec (Hebrews 7:11,23-27; 9:11-14,24-28).

The Saviour died once; He will never die again. Christ shed His blood once; He does not, as the church of Rome teaches, offer Himself daily. He sprinkled His shed blood on the mercy seat in heaven once; it will never need to be sprinkled again. His sacrifice and His blood were so perfect, that once accomplished, it need not be repeated ever again. Truly, as He cried, "It is finished!"

Do we return to the weak and beggardly elements? Do we replace the perfect with the imperfect? As Paul asked the Galatians. "Who hath bewitched you?" Why would God "do away with the old" and replace it with the new, and then go back to the old? Watch that old wine bottles do not burst when they cannot hold the new wine!

Offer an animal sacrifice when the final Sacrifice sits on His throne in Jerusalem? You look Him in the eye, and tell Him, "Lord, just in case Your sacrifice is not sufficient, I want to add to Your sacrifice, just to be on the safe side!" If you believe this, you brand yourself an unbeliever, who does not know the whole counsel of God.

"There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death." (Proverbs 14:12; 16:25). When God says something once, we had better take heed; when He says something twice, we had better hasten to examine ourselves before it is eternally too late!

The lesson to be learned from the Millennial period is simple. Satan will be bound for all but a very short season at the close of the era. No one will be able to blame their sin on Satan.

Neither will anyone be able to blame their sin on the environment, for Jesus will have restored all things as they were meant to be in creation. The environmental doom sayers of our day do not believe the Bible, therefore they are in a panic over even legitimate environmental usage. Nothing is ever out from under God's control. We who believe need not fear what men may do to the ozone. Polluted oceans, rivers, streams and toxic wastes will be neutralzed by the Lord who now sustains all things.

The Millennial Reign will end with the release of Satan for a short season, who will go out to deceive the nations, gathering them against the people of God in Jerusalem. Fire will come down out of heaven and devour Christ's enemies.

The Great White Throne Judgment will take place and all who have rejected God's revelation of Himself and His love in all ages will stand before the Lord Jesus Christ to be judged. The proof will be irrefutable. The guilty of all ages will be cast live into the Lake of Fire, to be tormented for all eternity.

If you think they will be annihilated, burnt to a crisp in the eternal flame, just ask Shadrach, Meshech and Abednego. Ask the rich man who will still be crying for Lazarus to dip his finger in water to cool his parched tongue.

Are you ready for eternity - God's way? If you play with eternal fire you will be eternally burned. If you know you are a sinner, bow your head right now and tell Jesus. He is the Friend of sinners: He loves you.

If you do not know you are a sinner, you had better find out quickly! Read Romans 3:10-23 one more time and see if it does not describe you accurately. Since it does, for it describes us all, acknowledge your sin and throw yourself on the mercy of the loving Saviour. He is able to save now!

ETERNITY FUTURE

Every soul will live in eternity in one place or the other. The saints will be in Heaven with Christ and anywhere Jesus is will be Heaven! The unsaved will be in the Lake of Fire.

The saints will enjoy untold bliss. "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things that are prepared for them that love him" (I Corinthians 2:9; from Isaiah 64:4). This is a promise to both Old and New Testament saints.

For the unsaved, their expectation is far different. "And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up forever and ever" (Revelation 14:11) "It shall not be quenched, the smoke thereof shall go up forever" (Isaiah 34:10) "for their worm (soul) shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched" (Isaiah 66:24). Not a very inviting prospect for even the most wicked of sinners!

If you are not saved from this foreboding event, you have right now, this very moment, grace from God to repent and trust the Lord Jesus Christ and His shed blood for the remission of your sins. "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13).

Oh, dear soul, do it today. Eternity may begin this very hour! Spend your life with Christ and explore the unseen and unheard things that God has for you.

To the believer, one parting word. Dispensationalist or not, you bear a heavenly responsibility to every lost person around you. You may be their only link to Christ and salvation. You are an ambassador for Christ; you represent Him in this foreign country. They cannot see Him, but they can see you. They can hear Him through you. Live for Him before them, that they may see your good works (wrought by Him) and glorify your Father which is in heaven. Then speak unto them the reason for the hope that lies within you!

APPENDIX A

What about Jeremiah 33:18 and

similar Old Testament verses?

The question arises as to promises made by God in the Old Testament concerning the re-establishment of the Levitical priesthood and the function of their office. "Neither shall the priests the Levites want a man before me to offer burnt offerings and to do sacrifice continually." (Jeremiah 33:18). As previously stated, the unbelieving Jews will rebuild the temple in Jerusalem, and re-establish the functioning of the Levitical priesthood. Though they possess a zeal for God, but still "not according to knowledge" (Romans 10:2), these are unbelieving Jews, for they still have not turned to Christ, their Messiah.

In their ignorance they will believe and adhere strictly to Old Testament teachings. Their eyes will not yet have been opened to the truth of Romans 9 - 11 and the book of Hebrews. But Christ, the only Priest "forever after the order of Melchisedek" (Hebrews 7:17), superceeds and supplants the functioning of the Levitical priesthood. Because of the supreme sacrifice of "the Lamb of God, which [alone] taketh away the sin of the world" (John 1:29), "every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins" (Hebrews 10:11).

What do you think will happen when the blind eyes of the Jews (Romans 9-11) are opened to the Gospel so long possessed by Gentile believers (Psalm 146:8; Isaiah 42:7)? When they "shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son" (Zechariah 12:10; Revelation 1:7), then they shall not want a man, for they shall have Jesus!

Again, the ceasing of the Levitical priesthood as a functioning entity is indicated in their being named as one of the twelve tribes to receive an inheritance the restored Israel of the Millennial period (Revelation 7:7). In the Old Testament economy the Levites received no inheritance, for the Lord was their inheritance (Deuteronomy 18:1,2). Now, in Christ, their Inheritance, they enter into a kingdom of priests, with Christ as their eternal High Priest (I Peter 2:5-9; Hebrews 9:11). This kingdom has no sacrifices to be performed, because the supreme, eternal Sacrifice, once made by the Lord Jesus Christ is sufficient for all sinners of all ages.

What could an earthly priesthood add to such a complete and all-sufficient sacrifice? Absolutely nothing! God (Christ) will not share His glory with another. Worthy is the Lamb that was slain, to receive riches, honor and glory (Revelation 5:9,10)!!!

Amen and amen.

e-mail Lee Spencer

Pastor, Our Bible Heritage Web Site, A local church ministry of Adrian Baptist Church in Canisteo, New York

Further Reading

Dispensationalism Today by Charles Caldwell Ryrie.

Published by Moody Press, Chicago, IL.

Although the entire book is a good read, chapter six, "Salvation in Dispensationalism," pages 110-131,gives added detail on God's method of salvation in any dispensation.

God's Dispensations by C. McKay Smock.

Reprinted by permission by Our Bible Heritage, Canisteo, NY.

Names of God by Nathan Stone.

Published by Moody Press, Chicago. IL.

Seeing Christ in the Old Testament by Ervin Hershberger.

Distributed by Choice Books of Northern Virginia, Fairfax, VA.

Diligent 06-22-2009 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winman (Post 22520)
My biggest concern is that this teaching teaches that the Jews are saved in a different manner than the Gentiles, that there is more than one gospel. I personally believe there is only one gospel.

Revelation 14:6-7 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.
Do you preach that when you share the Gospel with someone? No? There is proof right there that there is more than one Gospel in the Bible. Can you put this to rest now?

Quote:

Gal 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
Which, of course, applies to the world now and today.

Quote:

That this is the same gospel preached to all believers is shown in chapter 3.

Gal 3:8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.
Did Abraham believe this Gospel? Did he even understand it? Maybe he did, maybe he didn't, but this verse doesn't say this is the only Gospel in the Bible any more than it says chickens have wings.

What do you do with Matthew 24? Do you preach this Gospel?
Matthew 24:13-14 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
If you preach that Gospel, you preach that salvation is conditional and not even sure until the end!

Now, if the Jews were saved by believing the same "Gospel" as you, how is it that even Peter was rejecting the Gospel even up until after Christ was resurrected?

The rest of this is from an article I previously wrote, to which nobody has provided an adequate response as to how Peter could have been believing the Gospel you and I must believe:

Here is the Lord Jesus Christ putting “the cross” in a nutshell:

Mark 8:31 And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.

What was Peter’s response?

Mark 8:32 And he spake that saying openly. And Peter took him, and began to rebuke him.

Peter’s response was to rebuke the Lord. Today, when someone rebukes the Gospel, we call that person lost.

Peter certainly wasn’t “looking forward to the cross.” What about looking “back” to the cross?

Luke 24:6-11 He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee, Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again. And they remembered his words, And returned from the sepulchre, and told all these things unto the eleven, and to all the rest. It was Mary Magdalene, and Joanna, and Mary the mother of James, and other women that were with them, which told these things unto the apostles. And their words seemed to them as idle tales, and they believed them not.

What do we call someone who “believes not” the resurrection? Lost! If Peter (and the other Apostles) were “looking forward to the cross” they certainly would not have denied the resurrection after it happened.

Winman 06-22-2009 10:30 AM

Brandon

You have shown that you do indeed believe the Jews are saved in a different manner from the Gentiles. This is the major difference between us. The article I posted goes into detail on this. And I agree with this writer, that believers in the OT believed what God had revealed to them at that time. No, Abraham did not necessarily understand Jesus Christ, but he did believe God would send a Saviour. This was the gospel revealed at that time. It was not fully revealed, but it was the message of Jesus Christ to come. And Abraham was saved by believeing what was revealed to him at the time. Abraham could not be held responsible for knowing more than was revealed to him at the time.

As far as Revelations 14:6-7, who is this message about other than Jesus Christ?

We understand that Jesus is God from these verses.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

We understand that Jesus is the Judge.

2 Cor 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

We understand that Jesus is the Creator.

John 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Revelations 14:6-7 is about Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the Gospel.

The author of that article shows many verses to prove that not only Jews in the OT were saved through faith in Christ (as revealed at their time), but also those Jews who will receive Jesus during the tribulation.

And in Matthew 24:13, what does it mean he that endureth unto the end? is this speaking of works? Or God's Word?

Mark 4:13 And he said unto them, Know ye not this parable? and how then will ye know all parables?
14 The sower soweth the word.
15 And these are they by the way side, where the word is sown; but when they have heard, Satan cometh immediately, and taketh away the word that was sown in their hearts.
16 And these are they likewise which are sown on stony ground; who, when they have heard the word, immediately receive it with gladness;
17 And have no root in themselves, and so endure but for a time: afterward, when affliction or persecution ariseth for the word's sake, immediately they are offended.
18 And these are they which are sown among thorns; such as hear the word,
19 And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful.
20 And these are they which are sown on good ground; such as hear the word, and receive it, and bring forth fruit, some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some an hundred.

peopleoftheway 06-22-2009 11:52 AM

Brother George is not suggesting we preach "another Gospel" in this age, he is of course preaching the Gospel of grace, the Lord Jesus Christ's finished work on the cross, but to say there is only one Gospel in the Bible is a blind leading the blind statement. (Kingdom Gospel, and the everlasting Gospel (future) that Brandon pointed out.)
You said to Brandon
Quote:

You have shown that you do indeed believe the Jews are saved in a different manner from the Gentiles
Listen Brother, its Jews were saved (time past), and will be (future) saved in a different manner, not now, not RIGHT NOW, this dispensation is salvation by GRACE THROUGH FAITH ALONE for EVERYONE.

Quote:

You seem to lack discernment here, no one, no not one person is saying that the Jews are saved in a different manner than the gentiles TODAY, NOW, THIS AGE, PRESENT.

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

You have somewhere in your swings and roundabouts manner concluded that Bro George is a Hyper Dispensationalist, this is NOT true, he is as most will be on this Board (myself included) a Moderate Dispensationalist.

to not rightly divide between times past, times present and times future leaves you suggesting salvation can be lost through verses that don't apply to you or I in this dispensation. None of your posts make sense, they contradict each other in so many places I cannot even begin to comment, I don't intend to either for anyone that cannot and WILL NOT put scripture in context as to WHO it is for and WHEN it is for.

Quote:

9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed
Roman Catholicism, Hinduism, spiritualism, mormonism, Jehovah witnesses, etc etc etc .

Dont even think of using these verses against a Brother that teaches there are 3 gospels past / present/ future YOUR BIBLE SAYS SO!
These verse apply to the teaching I have underlined above, not anyone who is saved by Grace through faith, preaches Grace through faith, preaches Christ Crucified, but yet still recognises the FACT that the Bible divides between 3 different Gospels. past/present/future

Your mind is made up, No one now can possibly show you the truth except the Holy Spirit of God, especially not now when you are so blinded by wrongly applied scripture you are resorting to using scripture to suggest those of us who clearly see the 3 gospels are accursed. We aren't preaching the Kingdom Gospel, we aren't preaching the Everlasting Gospel (I'm certainly no Angel) WE are preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ Crucified, the Gospel of Gods grace.

I agree with Brandon you really need to drop this and stop going round and round and round, your making yourself sick and the rest of us dizzy.

2 Timothy 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Luke 06-22-2009 03:34 PM

The simple fact is OT saints were not saved the same way as us, and ANY baptist will admit this, whether your name is Winman or George.

1) When an OT saint dies, where does he go?
2) When a NT saint dies, where does he go?

3) Why does an OT saint go to paradise?
4) Why does a NT saint go to heaven?

5) How did the OT saint get to paradise?
6) How did the OT saint get to heaven?
7) How does the NT saint get to heaven?

And here are the answers. If you don't agree winman, correct me... I assume you will know the Bible verses for this. This is generally one of the first things new Christians learn after accepting the KJB as final authority, and studying Hell (every new young KJB believer has a fascination with hell and damnation for some reason, and preaching it non stop, until they learn more about God's grace).

1) Paradise/Abraham's Bosom
2) Heaven

3) He goes to paradise because his sins are covered by animals blood, not washed away
4) He goes to heaven because his sins are washed away by Jesus blood

5) He goes to paradise by trusting in the shed blood of the sacrifices to cover his sin, which were part of the LAW, and which were necessary to show one's faith. Faith + Law.
6) He gets to heaven after he waits in paradise for Jesus Christ shed blood to WASH away his sins
7) He gets to heaven by trusting in the shed blood of Jesus Christ.

Ultimately, both ARE saved the same way, by the blood of Jesus Christ. You gotta get past the faith alone bit. It's not important. What is important is that all men are saved by the BLOOD OF JESUS CHRIST. Your faith means nothing if it's not in the blood. Faith in the OT was not in Jesus, nor was it in his shed blood. It was in pictures of his shed blood, which were part of the LAW.

tonybones2112 06-22-2009 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke (Post 22552)
The simple fact is OT saints were not saved the same way as us, and ANY baptist will admit this, whether your name is Winman or George.

1) When an OT saint dies, where does he go?
2) When a NT saint dies, where does he go?

3) Why does an OT saint go to paradise?
4) Why does a NT saint go to heaven?

5) How did the OT saint get to paradise?
6) How did the OT saint get to heaven?
7) How does the NT saint get to heaven?

And here are the answers. If you don't agree winman, correct me... I assume you will know the Bible verses for this. This is generally one of the first things new Christians learn after accepting the KJB as final authority, and studying Hell (every new young KJB believer has a fascination with hell and damnation for some reason, and preaching it non stop, until they learn more about God's grace).

1) Paradise/Abraham's Bosom
2) Heaven

3) He goes to paradise because his sins are covered by animals blood, not washed away
4) He goes to heaven because his sins are washed away by Jesus blood

5) He goes to paradise by trusting in the shed blood of the sacrifices to cover his sin, which were part of the LAW, and which were necessary to show one's faith. Faith + Law.
6) He gets to heaven after he waits in paradise for Jesus Christ shed blood to WASH away his sins
7) He gets to heaven by trusting in the shed blood of Jesus Christ.

Ultimately, both ARE saved the same way, by the blood of Jesus Christ. You gotta get past the faith alone bit. It's not important. What is important is that all men are saved by the BLOOD OF JESUS CHRIST. Your faith means nothing if it's not in the blood. Faith in the OT was not in Jesus, nor was it in his shed blood. It was in pictures of his shed blood, which were part of the LAW.

Good message brother.

This "only one gospel in the Bible" is the wadded-up-in-a-ball theology of John R. Rice. "Fine Old Testament Christians who looked forward to the cross..." There were no Christians in the OT, and OT Jews were and will be in the Tribulation saved in a different manner than the Body of Christ:

Ac 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

This was the gospel of Peter and the other 11: You murdered your Messiah, He died for you, be prepared for the wrath to come of Joel 2. The kingdom of heaven is at hand!

John 20:9 For as yet they knew not the scripture, that he must
rise again from the dead.

Ga 2:9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

Ro 15:20 Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man‘s foundation:

Acts 16:6 Now when they had gone throughout Phrygia and the region of Galatia, and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia,
7 After they were come to Mysia, they assayed to go into Bithynia: but the Spirit suffered them not.
8 And they passing by Mysia came down to Troas.
9 And a vision appeared to Paul in the night; There stood a man of Macedonia, and prayed him, saying, Come over into Macedonia, and help us.
10 And after he had seen the vision, immediately we endeavoured to go into Macedonia, assuredly gathering that the Lord had called us for to preach the gospel unto them.
11 Therefore loosing from Troas, we came with a straight course to Samothracia, and the next day to Neapolis;
12 And from thence to Philippi, which is the chief city of that part of Macedonia, and a colony: and we were in that city abiding certain days.

This is the verse that is overlooked and ignored, not commented on, and least of all believed:

Php 4:15 Now ye Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but ye only.

The 12 surrendered the five commissions given to them by a risen Christ to Paul, Paul began to preach but was forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach where Peter, James, and John had already preached and established churches.

Ro 2:16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.
Ro 16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,
2Ti 2:8 Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:

Is Paul's gospel the same gospel as the Everlasting Gospel of Revelation, as Brandon pointed out?

I'm at odds with quit a few of my Grace brethren who came out of mostly IFB and other fundamentalist churches because they still holding to the unScriptural "seven" dispensations of CI Scofield: There are only 3, Time past, But now, Ages to come.

The preaching of the cross is what saves, not dispensationalism, and anyone who wants to believe there is only "one gospel" in the Scriptures is free to do so and has a lot of company: Every Roman Catholic on the planet.

Grace and peace friends

Tony

Diligent 06-22-2009 08:47 PM

Luke: nail on the head.

Winman: Just to be clear, I don't believe for a second that anyone could ever be saved without the shed blood of Christ. However, nobody in the Old Testament preached, heard, or believed "the Gospel" that we hear and believe today. In all times salvation is of God's grace, but in all times that grace is conditioned on doing what God says. Today, our Gospel is simple as easy: believe. Before Christ, and even for a little while after, it was not the same "message"/Gospel.

tonybones2112 06-22-2009 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diligent (Post 22571)
Luke: nail on the head.

Winman: Just to be clear, I don't believe for a second that anyone could ever be saved without the shed blood of Christ. However, nobody in the Old Testament preached, heard, or believed "the Gospel" that we hear and believe today. In all times salvation is of God's grace, but in all times that grace is conditioned on doing what God says. Today, our Gospel is simple as easy: believe. Before Christ, and even for a little while after, it was not the same "message"/Gospel.

Brandon, nail on the head , brother.

Grace and peace

Tony

chette777 06-23-2009 02:53 AM

Just to make it clear Salvation is of God and many scriptures attest to this fact.
Ps 3:8 Salvation [belongeth] unto the LORD: thy blessing [is] upon thy people. Selah.
Ps 62:1 ¶ <<To the chief Musician, to Jeduthun, A Psalm of David.>> Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from him [cometh] my salvation.
Ps 65:5 [By] terrible things in righteousness wilt thou answer us, O God of our salvation; [who art] the confidence of all the ends of the earth, and of them that are afar off [upon] the sea:
Ps 68:19 Blessed [be] the Lord, [who] daily loadeth us [with benefits, even] the God of our salvation. Selah.
Ps 96:2 Sing unto the LORD, bless his name; shew forth his salvation from day to day.
Ps 98:2 The LORD hath made known his salvation: his righteousness hath he openly shewed in the sight of the heathen.
Ps 119:41 ¶ VAU. Let thy mercies come also unto me, O LORD, [even] thy salvation, according to thy word.
Ps 119:81 ¶ CAPH. My soul fainteth for thy salvation: [but] I hope in thy word.
Ps 119:123 ¶ Mine eyes fail for thy salvation, and for the word of thy righteousness.
Lu 3:6 And all flesh shall see the salvation of God.
Ac 28:28 Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and [that] they will hear it.

Faith is in God for salvation no matter which dispensation.

Just for today God offers his grace through the work of Christ on the cross if we believe we receive his grace and salvation is our free and clear.

OT the Jews if they had faith in God's word did the sacrifices of the law and received God grace. if they believed and did not the sacrifices no grace was given. so their faith had to have the works of the Law added to it.

today we do not need works, for the work of the law was fulfilled in Christ and all one needs is faith to receive the free gift of Salvation

Winman 06-23-2009 03:52 PM

Obviously, some of you did not read the article I presented, or simply disagree with it. I presented this article for several reasons. First, I have already presented scriptures that I believe contradicts many of the views here. Second, this was written by a Baptist pastor who is a dispensationalist. I thought that would carry more weight with those here than anything I might say. Third, I thought the article well written.

The author presented two verses especially I agree with

Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Gal 3:6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

The author also presented several examples of men under the dispensation of Law who did not live godly lives, yet we know from scripture they were saved. The last example given was very good.

Quote:

How about the repentant thief on the cross? Born, and now dying under the Dispensation of Law, what work did he do, could he do, under the Law? This thief, fixed to across until he died, could not make restitution to those he had wronged, as the Law commanded. Neither could he enter the temple, bringing a lamb which could be offered upon the altar for his sin. And please do not give me this hedge that this was a transitional period. The Dispensation of Law did not end until the moment Christ died. The Dispensation of Grace did not start until the Dispensation of Law ended - there was no overlapping of the two. Yet the thief was justified and ushered into Paradise with Jesus totally by grace through faith without one work being done by the thief before or after his salvation.
We know this man was saved by the Lord's words himself.

Luke 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

As the author wrote, this man could not obey the law, as he was also nailed to a cross. But you see that he did believe Jesus to be the promised King who would come.

Luke 23:42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.

This man was saved by faith, not by works.

The author also gave many other good examples such as Samson who lived a licentious life indeed. If it were not shown in Hebrews that he was saved, I think most would have believed him to be a lost man.

And the author also speaks of Jews during the tribulation. I agree that the unbelieveing Jews will do sacrifice, but the 144,000 true believers in Christ will not.

During Jesus ministry, you do see mention of those who believed by faith on Jesus.

John 6:14 Then those men, when they had seen the miracle that Jesus did, said, This is of a truth that prophet that should come into the world.

You see, these people believed God's word. They truly believed God would send the Prophet that Moses had spoken of.

Deut 18:18 I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.

This is the gospel. This was Jesus being preached in the Old Testament. And those who believed God's promise looked for this Prophet. These are those saved by faith without the works of the Law.

John 1:41 He first findeth his own brother Simon, and saith unto him, We have found the Messias, which is, being interpreted, the Christ.

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

The gospel was preached throughout the Old Testament, starting with God's promise to Adam and Eve.

Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Adam and Eve probably did not understand this. They could not see Jesus the Son of God living under the law and dying for our sins on the cross. But they believed what was revealed to them at the time and were saved by faith in Christ to come.

As Galatians 2:6 says, "for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified".
This means past, present, or future.

chette777 06-23-2009 06:47 PM

it is not by works of the law anyone was in the past saved it was faith in Gods word and obedience to that word that brought his grace. they did the works to prove their faith.

I am so glad I don't have to prove anything because Christ did the work

Forrest 06-23-2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chette777 (Post 22650)
it is not by works of the law anyone was in the past saved it was faith in Gods word and obedience to that word that brought his grace. they did the works to prove their faith.

I am so glad I don't have to prove anything because Christ did the work

:amen: :amen: :amen: and :amen:

Winman 06-25-2009 02:48 PM

The problem with what you believe is that it clearly contradicts Paul's teaching in Romans 4.

Rom 4:1 What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?
2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.
3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,
7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.
9 Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness.
10 How was it then reckoned? when he was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision.
11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:
12 And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised.
13 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.
14 For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect: 15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.
16 Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,
17 (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.
18 Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations; according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.
19 And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sara's womb:
20 He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;
21 And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.
22 And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.
23 Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him;
24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;
25 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

These verses clearly show that righteousness was imputed to Abraham through faith alone without works (vs. 4).
They also show in vs. 23-24 that we today are saved by that same faith without works as Abraham. So, it was the very same gospel.

And as I have shown before, Paul himself tells that Abraham heard the same gospel as Paul was preaching to the Gentiles.

I do not see how you can ignore this plain teaching.

chette777 06-25-2009 08:54 PM

the gospel that was preached before is already spelled out in the context and it is not the gospel of grace but merely "In thee shall all nations be blessed." The Genesis account of what God told Abraham Paul clarified that the heathen (nations) would be justified through faith (blessed) and this by God himself.

However the Genesis account did not tell Abraham it was by faith alone, nor that it would be done by the shed blood of Jesus Christ. so Abraham had no Idea how God would bless the nations. Paul is showing us that the Gospel of Grace is the fulfillment of His promise to bless the nations through Abraham's seed Jesus Christ and that is all.

Paul is not saying that the Gospel of Grace through the blood of Christ for the forgiveness of sins was preached to Abraham in Genesis 12, 18 and 22.

you are the one who is ignoring the whole context of the immediate and cross referenced scriptures that show clearly what the the Word of God is saying.

tonybones2112 06-25-2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winman (Post 22780)
The problem with what you believe is that it clearly contradicts Paul's teaching in Romans 4.

Rom 4:1 What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?
2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.
3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,
7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.
9 Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness.
10 How was it then reckoned? when he was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision.
11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:
12 And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised.
13 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.
14 For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect: 15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.
16 Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,
17 (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.
18 Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations; according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.
19 And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sara's womb:
20 He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;
21 And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.
22 And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.
23 Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him;
24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;
25 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

These verses clearly show that righteousness was imputed to Abraham through faith alone without works (vs. 4).
They also show in vs. 23-24 that we today are saved by that same faith without works as Abraham. So, it was the very same gospel.

And as I have shown before, Paul himself tells that Abraham heard the same gospel as Paul was preaching to the Gentiles.

I do not see how you can ignore this plain teaching.

I'll tell you how we can "ignore" it, brother Win. Because we are not looking through the blinders of "one gospel" preached throughout the whole Bible. Brandon showed you a separate gospel that Paul never preached, the "everlasting" gospel of Revelation. The "gospel" that was preached to Abraham in Gal.3:8 is found in Gal. 3:8:

Ga 3:8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

Brother, it's not a matter of "reading", it's not a matter of "studying", it's a matter of believing.

Grace and peace brother Win

Tony

Bro. Parrish 06-26-2009 04:23 PM

Bro. Winman,
I have been reading your first post, the article you shared by Pastor Lee Spencer, I think he brings out some good points on Ultra-dispensationalism.

"Personally, I have watched helplessly as a few close associates and long-time friends have embraced this untenable position. They soon become arrogant, hostile and condemning. Their self-imposed separation tends eventually to lead to bitterness and isolation...

At the risk of being redundant, it is very important for the sake of emphasis, that we repeat once more the tragedies of ultra-dispensationalism. No matter what one believes about how people get saved in other dispensations, the dispensation we have to deal with is this dispensation. Our plea to unsaved men is not based upon what we believe about other dispensations.

To major on teaching men about other ways of salvation in other dispensations clouds the present issue of how they must be saved in this dispensation (Acts 4:12). It is a cleverly designed ploy of Satan to keep us focused on the unimportant, while souls slip by us into an eternity without Christ. Precious souls, for whom Christ died, are dependent upon our giving them what they need to know about how they can be saved today.

Furthermore, it needlessly divides brothers in Christ. It feeds the starving ego (which should be dead - Romans 6) of a believer looking for recognition as a teacher of the "whole counsel of God." It is a form of one-upmanship that in reality makes that one someone who will be called the least in the kingdom of heaven (Matthew 5:19). It eventually affects one's relationship with other believers.

A man can have right doctrine, and still live wrong, which sadly describes the problem of many who seek to follow Christ today. But a man cannot have wrong doctrine, and still live right. Works for salvation in any dispensation is wrong, and it puts stumbling blocks in the paths of others who are seeking God's truth."

chette777 06-26-2009 05:35 PM

BroP,

Ditto and Amen!

greenbear 06-26-2009 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bro. Parrish (Post 22848)
Bro. Winman,
I have been reading your first post, the article you shared by Pastor Lee Spencer, I think he brings out some good points on Ultra-dispensationalism.

"Personally, I have watched helplessly as a few close associates and long-time friends have embraced this untenable position. They soon become arrogant, hostile and condemning. Their self-imposed separation tends eventually to lead to bitterness and isolation...

A man can have right doctrine, and still live wrong, which sadly describes the problem of many who seek to follow Christ today. But a man cannot have wrong doctrine, and still live right. Works for salvation in any dispensation is wrong, and it puts stumbling blocks in the paths of others who are seeking God's truth."

I've been watching exchanges between Tony and Bro. Parrish and others to try to find out where the truth lie. "Hyperdispensationalism" which has progressed to "ultradispensationalism" in one corner. "Moderate" dispensationalism in the other corner. The boxing metaphor is intentional. The bully is in one particular corner but I won't name names. I don't think I have to. Think about that.

From corner one, I am waiting to find out if there is such a strict law of grace that it precludes believers from being saved if they don't perfectly understand that salvation is by grace alone, not of works of any kind (If such a strict standard applies then I was not saved for years after I thought I was). I don't know the answer. I will find out, God willing. What does the following quote from Winman's preacher mean? What I just said above or does it mean that this teacher thinks "hyperdispensationalism" allows for sin since we are under grace and excuses it? His argument about dividing the body of Christ, starving ego, recognition as a teacher, one-upmanship doesn't hold water for me. That is the argument of the status quo. It has no bearing on the truth; it's irrelevant.

Quote:

A man can have right doctrine, and still live wrong, which sadly describes the problem of many who seek to follow Christ today. But a man cannot have wrong doctrine, and still live right. Works for salvation in any dispensation is wrong, and it puts stumbling blocks in the paths of others who are seeking God's truth."[/I]

Your posts here, Bro. Parrish and brother chette, show me that although you protest that salvation is of faith alone, you don't really believe it. Please tell me, how could you support this twisted teaching in this guys' sermon? Can't you see that his teaching is indicative of the false doctrine that has confused brother Winman? AMEN to that sermon??? It is so full of error and strawmen arguments I honestly don't know where to begin, but I'll start here:

Quote:

Men are not responsible for the revelations which God has given in past dispensations. These revelations are progressive, and one dispensation's revelations are built upon a former dispensation's, and thus former revelations are instructive for each succeeding dispensation.

In each dispensation man has been justified by faith. They believed what God said in each dispensation. That is the key. Did they believe in the crucifiction, resurrection and ascension of Jesus Christ, the Son of God in previous dispensations? Of course they didn't. It was a MYSTERY!!!

"These revelations are progressive???

Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

Matthew 9:17 Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

Quote:

These revelations are progressive, and one dispensation's revelations are built upon a former dispensation's, and thus former revelations are instructive for each succeeding dispensation.
Instructive, yes. Progressive, absolutely not!

Are you really going to say amen to a sermon filled with straw-man arguments? A word study on grace? This is elementary. God's grace is the only reason any human being is saved in any dispensation. Ten year old christians know this. Do I have to copy and paste Hebrews and James here?

Is this one gospel only? Are you like Whirlwind? Will you defy the plain words of scripture for a private interpretation? Winman? Whirlwind was banned for questioning the inerrancy of the scriptures. What's the difference between this and that?

Galatians 2:7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;

I have great respect for the likes of Ironside which you linked in another thread, Bro. Parrish. I'll be studying this, but I have to say that the arrogance, hostility and condemnation has not exactly been coming from Tonybones' corner. I have seen more kindness and charity come from this man than from some others on this board, I have to include myself in that.

tonybones2112 06-27-2009 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenbear (Post 22862)
I've been watching exchanges between Tony and Bro. Parrish and others to try to find out where the truth lie. "Hyperdispensationalism" which has progressed to "ultradispensationalism" in one corner. "Moderate" dispensationalism in the other corner. The boxing metaphor is intentional. The bully is in one particular corner but I won't name names. I don't think I have to. Think about that.

From corner one, I am waiting to find out if there is such a strict law of grace that it precludes believers from being saved if they don't perfectly understand that salvation is by grace alone, not of works of any kind (If such a strict standard applies then I was not saved for years after I thought I was). I don't know the answer. I will find out, God willing. What does the following quote from Winman's preacher mean? What I just said above or does it mean that this teacher thinks "hyperdispensationalism" allows for sin since we are under grace and excuses it? His argument about dividing the body of Christ, starving ego, recognition as a teacher, one-upmanship doesn't hold water for me. That is the argument of the status quo. It has no bearing on the truth; it's irrelevant.

Your posts here, Bro. Parrish and brother chette, show me that although you protest that salvation is of faith alone, you don't really believe it. Please tell me, how could you support this twisted teaching in this guys' sermon? Can't you see that his teaching is indicative of the false doctrine that has confused brother Winman? AMEN to that sermon??? It is so full of error and strawmen arguments I honestly don't know where to begin, but I'll start here:

Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

Matthew 9:17 Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

Instructive, yes. Progressive, absolutely not!

Are you really going to say amen to a sermon filled with straw-man arguments? A word study on grace? This is elementary. God's grace is the only reason any human being is saved in any dispensation. Ten year old christians know this. Do I have to copy and paste Hebrews and James here?

Is this one gospel only? Are you like Whirlwind? Will you defy the plain words of scripture for a private interpretation? Winman? Whirlwind was banned for questioning the inerrancy of the scriptures. What's the difference between this and that?

Galatians 2:7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;

I have great respect for the likes of Ironside which you linked in another thread, Bro. Parrish. I'll be studying this, but I have to say that the arrogance, hostility and condemnation has not exactly been coming from Tonybones' corner. I have seen more kindness and charity come from this man than from some others on this board, I have to include myself in that.

Jen, the problem an advanced dispensationalist has, especially the ones such as the gentleman in the recordings I recommended to you, or me, is simple: People are afraid of the teaching. No one wants to say they were in error.

I can appreciate this preacher's opinions and his slanted view on it being "untenable", bless God yes it's "untenable" if he don't personally know one person in the movement, has never attended a Grace church and know nothing about us except through Harry Ironside, Peter Ruckman, or something he read somewhere written by someone who didn't know what they were talking about either. People asked me on the street ministry, what is a Grace dispensationsalist? My reply was we are fundamentalist independent Baptists who don't practice or teach water baptism. Now, what easier explanation can a person give? I belive the same "fundamentals" of the faith George, Brandon, and brother Parrish believes.

To say A grace believer teaches that dispensationalism gives a license to sin is pure slander, in plain Jacobean English, it's a lie. I've never heard it. I've never taught it. I know I don't need to "confess" my sins, they were forgiven 2000 years ago, but dispensational teaching gives no Christian the license to go get blistering drunk in a bar. Have I ever given you a string of Scripture and then said, "Here Jen, believe what I do, it gives you a license to sin." I have the same album of recordings you do, did he say something I missed? Richard Jordan is the only man at this time I'd walk across the street to listen to a message being preached, is there somewhere he has preached that dispensationalism gives a license to sin? Has Cornelius Stam of the Bereans ever published anything that says that?

My point and my conclusion is I've never heard this before, this is the first I ever heard that the Grace dispensational teaching gives a "license to sin". Oh, I know of the accusations since Day One that it "spilts churches". No one will give me the name of one church that was split by "hyperdispensationalism". Now, I'm not throwing stones at Brother Parrish, but I asked him this question in the Water Baptism thread when it stopped being a Scripture study and became a forum for Harry Ironside and Peter Ruckman's opinions, read his reply to me. I know in the late 80s-early 90s Jack Hyle's church, that was claimed to be "the largest fundamentalist, soul winning church in America" didn't split, it exploded, and not because of "hyperdispensationalism", but because Hyles got busted in the revelation that he had been having a "love" affair with his personal secretary for 20+ years. He must have been a Grace believer!!!

John 11:35 Jesus wept.

1Co 14:20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.

Thank you for your kind comments sister. Grace and peace to you, and brother Parrish, Win and Chette, and everyone reading this.

Tony

Bro. Parrish 06-27-2009 08:12 AM

Quote:

I have great respect for the likes of Ironside which you linked in another thread, Bro. Parrish.

Great, I hope you benefit.
There is actually an entire book at that link, with several chapters on the errors of the Hyperdispensational doctrine.

Quote:

I'll be studying this, but I have to say that the arrogance, hostility and condemnation has not exactly been coming from Tonybones' corner.

LOL, condemnation? Well certainly that sounds like a "condemnation" of ME
on your part, sister. Have you been attending Chette's royal college of hypocrisy?

YES, I condemn false teaching. I also make a lot of encouraging and positive remarks here, but I will condemn false teaching. That is scriptural. If Ultras and Hypers don't want negative comments about their doctrinal errors and cheap stabs at Baptist preachers, then let them post their ideas on a private forum where no one can say a word. But I rarely make personal attacks or judgments about the people here, and I try not to call them "chickens or neanderthals" either. :rolleyes:

Look, I made ONE POST ON THIS THREAD, and it was to Winman.
If that constitutes arrogance, hostility and condemnation, perhaps the eggshells are getting too thin around here. Meanwhile Jennifer, while you have been over here judging me, Tony and I have been sharing hobbies over on another thread. So please don't ASSUME we are mortal enemies simply because we see the ordinance of believer's baptism differently. Besides, anyone who loves Apple computers can't be all bad. :)

Brother Tim 06-27-2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Besides, anyone who loves Apple computers can't be all bad.
Personally, I see a definite link between the use of Apple computers and doctrinal confusion. :pound:

Bro. Parrish 06-27-2009 08:35 AM

I'm sure Bill Gates would agree with you.
But then Bill always was a Hyper when it came to partitioning his hard drive in Vista. :)

Winman 06-27-2009 10:14 AM

Greenbear said;

Quote:

Quote:
Men are not responsible for the revelations which God has given in past dispensations. These revelations are progressive, and one dispensation's revelations are built upon a former dispensation's, and thus former revelations are instructive for each succeeding dispensation.

In each dispensation man has been justified by faith. They believed what God said in each dispensation. That is the key. Did they believe in the crucifiction, resurrection and ascension of Jesus Christ, the Son of God in previous dispensations? Of course they didn't. It was a MYSTERY!!!

First, I doubt that Chette and Bro Parrish really agree on the original article I posted. Second, that is not my preacher or pastor, just an article I found on the web that I thought good. I do not know the person.

But I don't really understand what you are saying. You do not believe the scriptures were a progressive revelation? What scriptures did Job know? None. There were no scriptures in his day. At the time of Moses did books like Ezekiel or Nahum exist? No! God revealed the scriptures to various prophets over centuries of time.

But the gospel has been there from the start when God promised Adam and Eve that he would put enmity between Eve's seed and the seed of the serpent.

Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Who do you think this prophesy is about? It is about Jesus Christ of course. So from the very beginning God was foretelling of Jesus coming to save us from our sins. But not all details were given here, as time went by God revealed even more about Jesus.

Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Mic 5:2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

These scriptures were written centuries after Moses penned the Book of Genesis. You see more and more details about Jesus provided. Did Moses know Jesus would come from Bethlehem? No. But in Jesus day the scribes did know the Messiah would come from Bethlehem.

Matt 2:4 And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born.
5 And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet,
6 And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel.

The priests and scribes back in David's day could not have told you that Jesus would come from Bethlehem, this information was not revealed until many centuries later by the prophet Micah.

So how do you say that the scriptures were not a progressive revelation? And the gospel is the same. No, they did not understand that Jesus would live under the law, go to the cross for our sins, die, be buried, and rise from the dead. Oh, there were plenty of scriptures telling those very things, but they did not put them together. But the gospel was being shown from the very beginning.

And this is why Paul said;

The scriptures themselves say the gospel was preached unto Abraham. And Jesus confirms this.

John 8:56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.

Abraham knew about Jesus, Jesus said so himself. Abraham knew the gospel.

greenbear 06-27-2009 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winman (Post 22886)
Greenbear said;

First, I doubt that Chette and Bro Parrish really agree on the original article I posted. Second, that is not my preacher or pastor, just an article I found on the web that I thought good. I do not know the person.

But I don't really understand what you are saying. You do not believe the scriptures were a progressive revelation? What scriptures did Job know? None. There were no scriptures in his day. At the time of Moses did books like Ezekiel or Nahum exist? No! God revealed the scriptures to various prophets over centuries of time.

But the gospel has been there from the start when God promised Adam and Eve that he would put enmity between Eve's seed and the seed of the serpent.

Who do you think this prophesy is about? It is about Jesus Christ of course. So from the very beginning God was foretelling of Jesus coming to save us from our sins. But not all details were given here, as time went by God revealed even more about Jesus.

Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Mic 5:2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

These scriptures were written centuries after Moses penned the Book of Genesis. You see more and more details about Jesus provided. Did Moses know Jesus would come from Bethlehem? No. But in Jesus day the scribes did know the Messiah would come from Bethlehem.

Matt 2:4 And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born.
5 And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet,
6 And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel.

The priests and scribes back in David's day could not have told you that Jesus would come from Bethlehem, this information was not revealed until many centuries later by the prophet Micah.

So how do you say that the scriptures were not a progressive revelation? And the gospel is the same. No, they did not understand that Jesus would live under the law, go to the cross for our sins, die, be buried, and rise from the dead. Oh, there were plenty of scriptures telling those very things, but they did not put them together. But the gospel was being shown from the very beginning.

And this is why Paul said;

The scriptures themselves say the gospel was preached unto Abraham. And Jesus confirms this.

John 8:56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.

Abraham knew about Jesus, Jesus said so himself. Abraham knew the gospel.

Adam was shown there must be blood shed to cover sin.
Abel believed his own works could not cover sin.
Job prophesied that after his skin worms destroy his body that he will in his flesh see God. He knew he would have to have a resurrected incorruptible body in the presence of the Lord.
Abraham said to Isaac that God would provide himself a lamb.
God showed David Christ's suffering on the cross.
God told Daniel that he would die but that he would stand with his lot at the end of the days.

Consider the message the angel Gabriel gave to Mary. It was only about the Messiah's role for Israel, nothing whatsoever to do with the gentiles.

Luke 1:30-33 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God. And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS. He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David: And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

God's entire dealing with mankind from the fall of Adam through to eternity points to the cross of Christ either looking forward or backward. Every person who has ever lived or ever will live can only be saved because the Lamb of God was slain to take away the sins of the world. Men of faith throughout history have understood that God promised salvation to those who would believe what He says about Himself.

The Jews expected Christ to establish his Kingdom at His coming. They didn't even foresee that Jesus had come to die let alone the setting aside of Israel and Paul's gospel to the gentiles. Paul did not receive his gospel from any progressive revelation. It was a mystery which God had kept secret since the world began.

Eph*3:1 ¶ For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,
Eph*3:2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:
Eph*3:3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
Eph*3:4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
Eph*3:5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;
Eph*3:6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:
Eph*3:7 Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.
Eph*3:8 Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;
Eph*3:9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
Eph*3:10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,
Eph*3:11 According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:
Eph*3:12 In whom we have boldness and access with confidence by the faith of him.
Eph*3:13 Wherefore I desire that ye faint not at my tribulations for you, which is your glory.
Eph*3:14 ¶ For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
Eph*3:15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
Eph*3:16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;
Eph*3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
Eph*3:18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
Eph*3:19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
Eph*3:20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,
Eph*3:21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

When the fulness of the gentiles have come in then the seventieth week of Daniel starts where where the sixty-ninth week ended with Christ's birth. The church Christ's body will be evacuated from the earth and the Holy Spirit will no longer permanently indwell believers as He does now. During the tribulation any man who takes the mark of the beast or the number of his name will be lost forever. 144,000 Jews, 12,000 from every tribe will be sealed by the Holy Spirit and they cannot sin. Tribulation saints are told they have to endure to the end to be saved. An angel flies in the heaven announcing to men on earth at that time the "everlasting gospel": Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters. Rev 14:7 This is not the same gospel we are saved by now at this time. "Everlasting gospel" doesn't mean it is the one and only gospel that has ever existed throughout God's dealings with man. It is a specific gospel preached by an angel at that time.

The blood of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world is the only method of salvation. There is no other name under heaven whereby men must be saved. Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life. It is the programs that God uses to deal with men at certain times that change. In the present time we are born of the Spirit, sealed by the Holy Spirit, there is no law for us and that is completely unique from any other dispensation past or future.

Winman 06-27-2009 02:40 PM

Quote:

The Jews expected Christ to establish his Kingdom at His coming. They didn't even foresee that Jesus had come to die let alone the setting aside of Israel and Paul's gospel to the gentiles. Paul did not receive his gospel from any progressive revelation. It was a mystery which God had kept secret since the world began.

Just because you don't know something, does not mean it doesn't exist. For example, have you ever received a wrapped present at Christmas? Well, until you open it, the contents are a mystery to you. Does that mean the present inside the box doesn't exist until you open it and the mystery is revealed? Of course not. But that is how some here think.

You are correct, the Jews were looking for the Christ to come and reestablish the kingdom. But that is not why Jesus came at his first coming.

Luke 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.

And that is the gospel right there.

Just because the Jews did not fully understand the scriptures, does not change God's purposes.

Take the Ethiopian eunuch in Acts 8. He was reading the scriptures in Isaiah. He did not understand these scriptures, the meaning was a mystery to him. But Philip showed him these scriptures were about Jesus suffering and dying on the cross.

Acts 8:26 And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert.
27 And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship,
28 Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet.
29 Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.
30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?
31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.
32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:
33 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.

34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?
35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.
36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

You see, these scriptures in Isaiah were always about Christ, but the Jews did not understand them, they were a mystery. That does not change the fact that this was the gospel, the preaching of Jesus Christ.

Isa 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.
8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. 9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.
10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.

There it is right there, that Jesus would come and die on the cross to save us from our sins. Just because the Jews did not understand this scripture does not mean it didn't exist or that God did not declare the gospel. If these scriptues were not about Jesus, then why does the scripture say that Philip began at that same scripture and preached unto him Jesus?

To believe that something doesn't exist until you understand it is faulty logic.

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Remember, when Jesus said this not one word of the New Testament existed. Jesus told them the Old Testament testified of him. Just because some may not have understood this does not change this fact.

greenbear 06-27-2009 03:22 PM

Bro. Parrish, Chette,

I see nothing in Paul's gospel to the gentiles telling us to practice water baptism. If you believe it is an ordinance for the church today but is not required for salvation then I don't understand the bitter controversy about the issue from your side. I have my belief about the harm the water baptism error has accomplished in the body of Christ but I don't push it. The real source of confusion for me is that "moderate" dispensationalists level charges of near heresy and all sorts of character assassination against grace believers. I don't see it. I got upset because I am trying to see the big picture, how these things critics say could possibly be true. I figure I must be missing something and I'm frustrated because I just don't see it.

Bro. Parrish, you must have been reading my posts to know my particular weaknesses. I had a flash of anger at you because in my view you take every opportunity to take your swipes at Tony. I got tired of seeing it and took my swipe at you. Sorry.

Brother Chette, you just posted what you did at the exact wrong time. Sorry. I always look forward to your posts.

greenbear 06-27-2009 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winman (Post 22899)
Just because you don't know something, does not mean it doesn't exist. For example, have you ever received a wrapped present at Christmas? Well, until you open it, the contents are a mystery to you. Does that mean the present inside the box doesn't exist until you open it and the mystery is revealed? Of course not. But that is how some here think.

You are correct, the Jews were looking for the Christ to come and reestablish the kingdom. But that is not why Jesus came at his first coming.

Luke 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.

And that is the gospel right there.

Just because the Jews did not fully understand the scriptures, does not change God's purposes.

Take the Ethiopian eunuch in Acts 8. He was reading the scriptures in Isaiah. He did not understand these scriptures, the meaning was a mystery to him. But Philip showed him these scriptures were about Jesus suffering and dying on the cross.

Acts 8:26 And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert.
27 And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship,
28 Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet.
29 Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.
30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?
31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.
32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:
33 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.

34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?
35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.
36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

You see, these scriptures in Isaiah were always about Christ, but the Jews did not understand them, they were a mystery. That does not change the fact that this was the gospel, the preaching of Jesus Christ.

Isa 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.
8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. 9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.
10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.

There it is right there, that Jesus would come and die on the cross to save us from our sins. Just because the Jews did not understand this scripture does not mean it didn't exist or that God did not declare the gospel. If these scriptues were not about Jesus, then why does the scripture say that Philip began at that same scripture and preached unto him Jesus?

To believe that something doesn't exist until you understand it is faulty logic.

Remember, when Jesus said this not one word of the New Testament existed. Jesus told them the Old Testament testified of him. Just because some may not have understood this does not change this fact.

Winman,

The mystery was not that Christ had to die on the cross and there would be two comings. That information is already revealed in the old testament whether Israel as a nation understood the prophesies or not.

The "mystery" is the gospel that Paul received directly from Jesus Christ. Jesus hinted at it with his pearl of great price parable but other than that I am not aware of anywhere it can be found before it was revealed to Paul. The gentiles who never had the law being directly indwelled by the Holy Spirit and put in His body completely apart from God's program for the Jews. Israel completely bypassed and set aside for a period of time!

Paul's gospel of grace is completely new, has nothing whatsoever to do with the law that was committed to Israel.

We are talking about the gospel of grace, not Christ crucified and His two comings.
Paul's gospel of grace could not have existed along side God's program for the nation Israel. Paul's gospel of grace to the gentiles could not have existed along side Christ's Millennial Kingdom which would have started if Israel as a nation would have accepted Him after he was resurrected. It could only ever exist after national Israel rejected her messiah. It is completely removed from God's program with Israel which is the Law.

Just because Matthew, Mark, Luke and John are called the gospels doesn't mean that Jesus coming a the God-Man, dying on the cross for the sins of the world, rising on the third day and ascending to the Father is the only gospel. We all know the gospel means good news. It just so happens that Paul's gospel is also a new dispensation. The scriptures clearly state in many places that there are different gospels, or different messages of good news. They are all incumbent upon the death and resurrection of Christ.

Winman 06-27-2009 05:19 PM

That is just not so. There are many prophesies in the Old Testament concerning the Gentiles.

Isa 11:10 And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse, which shall stand for an ensign of the people; to it shall the Gentiles seek: and his rest shall be glorious.

The root of Jesse is Jesus Christ.

Isa 42:1 Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles. 2 He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.
3 A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.

And we know this is Jesus, because these verses are shown in Matthew.

Matt 12:15 But when Jesus knew it, he withdrew himself from thence: and great multitudes followed him, and he healed them all;
16 And charged them that they should not make him known:
17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying,
18 Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles.
19 He shall not strive, nor cry; neither shall any man hear his voice in the streets.
20 A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench, till he send forth judgment unto victory.
21 And in his name shall the Gentiles trust.

There are many other verses besides these in the Old Testament that revealed the gospel would also be preached to the Gentiles.

This is what is wrong with hyper-dispensationalism. You have the Bible so sliced and diced and cannot conceive of scripture or doctrine applying to more than one age. This is a great error of this type of teaching. There are many scriptures in the OT pointing to the gospel and that it would also be revealed to the Gentiles.

Mal 1:11 For from the rising of the sun even unto the going down of the same my name shall be great among the Gentiles; and in every place incense shall be offered unto my name, and a pure offering: for my name shall be great among the heathen, saith the LORD of hosts.

And in Romans Paul shows many such verses in the OT that applied to the Gentiles receiving the gospel.

Romans 15:8 Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:
9 And that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy;
as it is written, For this cause I will confess to thee among the Gentiles, and sing unto thy name.
10 And again he saith, Rejoice, ye Gentiles, with his people.
11 And again, Praise the Lord, all ye Gentiles; and laud him, all ye people.
12 And again, Esaias saith, There shall be a root of Jesse, and he that shall rise to reign over the Gentiles; in him shall the Gentiles trust.

This was Paul in Romans confirming that these OT scriptures foretold of the gospel being preached to the Gentiles.

peopleoftheway 06-27-2009 05:30 PM

To be perfectly honest and In the spirit of fellowship, I would suggest that this topic is dropped, Scripture has been given to Winman to show our beliefs countless times, he has given us scripture which HE believes is right, it is quite apparent that Brother Winman wont change his mind or see the wood for the trees and I know for one I certainly wont change My mind and this just goes round and round and round and I feel quite sick in the stomach now with this topic.

And on a side note can you please quit labelling people Hypers Dispensationalists because they believe the Bible contains more than one Gospel

greenbear 06-27-2009 05:30 PM

Never was it revealed that Israel would be set aside and the gentiles saved apart from Israel.

Winman 06-27-2009 05:53 PM

God did not cast away all Israel. Read Romans 11 in which Paul reveals OT scripture concerning the gospel going to the Gentiles.

Romans 11:1 I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. 2 God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying,
3 Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life.
4 But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.
5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. 6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded 8 (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear; ) unto this day.
9 And David saith, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumblingblock, and a recompence unto them:
10 Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back alway.
11 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.

So, Paul here shows that God did not cast away Israel, for he was a Jew himself. And all the early Christians were Jews. What you do not understand is believeing Jews versus unbelieveing Jews.

And in Romans 10 Paul tells of both Moses and Isaiah foretelling of the Gentiles being offered the gospel.

Rom 10:19 But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you. 20 But Esaias is very bold, and saith, I was found of them that sought me not; I was made manifest unto them that asked not after me. 21 But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people.

So not all Israel was cast away as Paul shows. And Israel was not saved apart from the Gentiles, they are one body.

Eph 2:11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.
18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.
19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

So, this is another false teaching of hyper-dispensationalism.

chette777 06-27-2009 06:59 PM

Winman, I am through arguing with you.

but for the record no one not anyone on this forum has ever said that God was through with Israel. We know he has temporarily set them aside as usable vessels to reach the Nations.

and we are not hyper-dispensationlists.

greenbear 06-27-2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winman (Post 22915)
God did not cast away all Israel. Read Romans 11 in which Paul reveals OT scripture concerning the gospel going to the Gentiles.

Romans 11:1 I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. 2 God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying,
3 Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life.
4 But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.
5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. 6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded 8 (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear; ) unto this day.
9 And David saith, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumblingblock, and a recompence unto them:
10 Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back alway.
11 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.

So, Paul here shows that God did not cast away Israel, for he was a Jew himself. And all the early Christians were Jews. What you do not understand is believeing Jews versus unbelieveing Jews.

And in Romans 10 Paul tells of both Moses and Isaiah foretelling of the Gentiles being offered the gospel.

Rom 10:19 But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you. 20 But Esaias is very bold, and saith, I was found of them that sought me not; I was made manifest unto them that asked not after me. 21 But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people.

So not all Israel was cast away as Paul shows. And Israel was not saved apart from the Gentiles, they are one body.

Eph 2:11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.
18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.
19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

So, this is another false teaching of hyper-dispensationalism.

Winman, my previous post was a one sentence clarification to your post before last which was a misunderstanding of my post before that. I have never said God was through with Israel. And that would be the opposite of hyperdispensationalsim it would be replacement theology. I am already wondering how you may misconstrue this post.

JOHN G 06-28-2009 02:29 PM

Food for thought.......

Thanks brothers and sisters for the discussion. I lean towards Bro. Winman's position of one gospel. How does one reconcile these verses?

Rom 16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

Paul's gospel (singular) has existed since the world began. One could say it is everlasting, and is synonymous with the gospel of Rev. 14.6.

Acts 15:7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.

The Gentiles were preached the gospel (singular) unto by Peter's mouth. How could Peter's gospel to the Gentiles be different than Paul's gospel to the Gentiles?

Gal 1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

It is interesting that Paul mentions an angel from heaven. Is the angel of the everlasting gospel of Rev. 14:6 accursed?

Gal 2:14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?

Peter was not living uprightly according to the truth of the gospel (singular), which gospel, if there is two?

Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

I don't see how multiple gospels can coexist with Jesus' statement "to every creature".

1Co 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
1Co 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
1Co 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1Co 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
1Co 15:5 And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
1Co 15:6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.
1Co 15:7 After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.
1Co 15:8 And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.
1Co 15:9 For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.
1Co 15:10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.
1Co 15:11 Therefore whether it were I or they, so we preach, and so ye believed.

Paul clearly lays out the gospel (singular) here and says he (Paul) and they (the other apostles) preach (present tense) it.

Blessings to you all.

John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

Bro. Parrish 06-28-2009 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHN G (Post 22958)
The Gentiles were preached the gospel (singular) unto by Peter's mouth. How could Peter's gospel to the Gentiles be different than Paul's gospel to the Gentiles?

I don't think it was different John, according to these articles that is one of the errors of Hyper- or Ultra-dispensationalism:
http://www.angelfire.com/nt/books/hy...tionalism.html
http://www.gotothebible.com/HTML/wrongly1.html

Ultimately, every believer will have to examine the scriptures and decide for themselves. This has proven to be a divisive topic, but fortunately many of us here can still respect one another and agree on other issues.

greenbear 06-30-2009 03:20 AM

The concept of dispensations gets you on the right track. I find I hold a lot of the views of a hyperdispensationalist.

The key is that the nation of Israel was a son of God in a collective sense; Israelites were not individually sons of God. The nation of Israel was God's son.

That changed in Matthew 11. His invitation changed from on a national basis to on an individual basis. Israel as a nation was rejecting their Messiah so we are back to a remnant just like always happens at the end of a dispensation. Every dispensation has ended in man's failure so God moves on with the next phase of His plan.

In Matthew 11 we have the invitation to come to Jesus. It is directed toward individuals:

Matthew 11:28-30 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

The following parable fits what I am saying, I believe. Christ's individual appeal went first to the individual Jews who would believe (Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in hither the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind) and then to individual gentiles (Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled).

Luke 14:16-24 Then said he unto him, A certain man made a great supper, and bade many: And sent his servant at supper time to say to them that were bidden, Come; for all things are now ready. And they all with one consent began to make excuse. The first said unto him, I have bought a piece of ground, and I must needs go and see it: I pray thee have me excused. And another said, I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to prove them: I pray thee have me excused. And another said, I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come. So that servant came, and shewed his lord these things. Then the master of the house being angry said to his servant, Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city (Jerusalem/ The Jews), and bring in hither the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind. (Sounds like the people who responded to Jesus' earthly ministry to Israel)[/B]And the servant said, Lord, it is done as thou hast commanded, and yet there is room. And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled. For I say unto you, That none of those men which were bidden shall taste of my supper.

Compare these verses:

And the servant said, Lord, it is done as thou hast commanded, and yet there is room. Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled. For I say unto you, That none of those men which were bidden shall taste of my supper.

For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. Romans 11:25

This is a very complex subject. I'm not sure anybody fully understands it. I think people need to recognize the distinction between the mystery and the church. The church doesn't equal the mystery that Paul talks about. The church encompasses the mystery but the church is more than the mystery. The "church" includes the apostolic church and perhaps believers before Christ was sacrificed. That last part is definitely just a musing... . The mystery revealed to Paul is that gentiles would be saved apart from the ministry of Israel; that individuals would be indwelled by the Holy Spirit and would be equipped to keep the law in the spirit; that there would be no condemnation to those who were born of the Spirit and called to be sons of God (individually).

The church started out jewish

then transitioned to jewish but adding on a small number of gentiles

then transitioned to gentile when Paul's ministry to the gentiles started with a jewish component (the apostolic church)

then transitioned to no distinction between jew and gentile

It is apparent that covenant theologians have completely missed the boat. To paraphrase Tony, they came to a screeching halt at the reformation.

I certainly don't have the whole thing figured out but my husband and I am getting glimpses at least into what questions need to be asked and that we all have preconceived ideas that make it hard to see what the scriptures are telling us.

Then there's the confusion that arises because the word "gospel" means different things. I think what the word "gospel" means to most believers is John 3:16. That is the 'good news" that all of human history looks forward to and that eternity will look back on. Without this "gospel" it would be better for every man that he had never been born. But there is good news in the way God dispenses the ultimate good news to different people at different times. I'm not making this up. The Bible teaches this. The concept of gospel applies to more than one message.

I used to believe as Winman does when I was a brand new christian. I had no discernment whatsoever. I was a baby. I felt I had to shut out any new teaching because I was terrified of being deceived. I had so little discernment that I ended up in a cult, got out of that then right back in with a bunch of charismatic crazies. I'm probably only a child now but at least I'm eating solid food. Winman's not in a cult of which I am thankful. But I am wondering how long he has been a christian. All it takes is a simple prayer of faith to the Lord to show you the truth about a matter. He will do it if we ask Him. The Lord will open our understanding to His word if we will allow Him to.

greenbear 06-30-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHN G (Post 22958)
Thanks brothers and sisters for the discussion. I lean towards Bro. Winman's position of one gospel. How does one reconcile these verses?

Rom 16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

Paul's gospel (singular) has existed since the world began. One could say it is everlasting, and is synonymous with the gospel of Rev. 14.6.

Acts 15:7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.

Gal 1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

It is interesting that Paul mentions an angel from heaven. Is the angel of the everlasting gospel of Rev. 14:6 accursed?

Gal 2:14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?

Peter was not living uprightly according to the truth of the gospel (singular), which gospel, if there is two?

Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

I don't see how multiple gospels can coexist with Jesus' statement "to every creature".

1Co 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
1Co 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
1Co 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1Co 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
1Co 15:5 And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
1Co 15:6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.
1Co 15:7 After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.
1Co 15:8 And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.
1Co 15:9 For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.
1Co 15:10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.
1Co 15:11 Therefore whether it were I or they, so we preach, and so ye believed.

Paul clearly lays out the gospel (singular) here and says he (Paul) and they (the other apostles) preach (present tense) it.

Blessings to you all.

John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

John,

Paul obviously preached the gospel of Christ crucified. Nobody denies this fact. This is the same gospel the twelve Apostles to the circumcision preached.

Paul was an apostle born out of due time, he wasn't with Jesus during His earthly ministry. He believed on and was directly taught by the risen, glorified Christ who is seated in heavenly places. Jesus directly revealed the "mystery" to Paul that had been hidden since the beginning of the world:

Galatians 1:11-12 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

"Paul's gospel" is not the preaching of the cross although of course Paul preaches Christ crucified. Please notice Paul differentiates between "my gospel" and the preaching of Jesus Christ.

Romans 16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

That God had to come to die for the sins of the world was revealed in scripture as early as Genesis. Although not understood by Israel during Christ's earthly ministry, it was not a mystery kept secret since the world began.

The mystery revealed to Paul is the body of Christ made up of individuals who are indwelt and sealed by the Holy Spirit; saved wholly apart from God's program with Israel. No law. Only grace.

Romans 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

Colossians 1:21-29 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister; Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church: Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

The bold text below tells us exactly what "Paul's gospel" is:

Colossians 1:25-28 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

If there is no distinction between the gospel of the Circumcision and the uncircumcism then why did Paul have to reveal to the leaders of the church of the circumcism the mystery that Christ revealed first and exclusively to Paul?

Galatians 2:2 And I went up by revelation, and communicated unto them that gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to them which were of reputation, lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain

Paul and the apostleship to the circumcism clearly recognized the difference:

Galatians 2:7-10 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter; (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles) And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision. Only they would that we should remember the poor; the same which I also was forward to do.

And why did Paul have to withstand Peter to his face if there was no difference?

Galatians 2:11-21 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed. For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision. And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation. But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews? We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid. For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Were the apostleship to the circumcism in error regarding the temple practices and the ordinances they continued in ? I think not. Paul even continued in them until God showed him he was to preach only to the gentiles at a certain point.

Acts 21:26 Then Paul took the men, and the next day purifying himself with them entered into the temple, to signify the accomplishment of the days of purification, until that an offering should be offered for every one of them.

The offer of the Kingdom of God was still open for a time. If national Israel would have accepted their Messiah He would have come back at that time and national Israel would once again have become the source of blessing to the gentiles. The change in emphasis from the gospel of the circumcism to Paul's gospel to the uncircumcism is transitional. The more fully we understand this the fewer difficult and seemily contradictory verses we encounter.

JOHN G 06-30-2009 01:35 PM

Consider.....

Hello GB,

Jesus' Gospel to Nicodemus
John 3:16 ... whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Peter's Gospel to Cornelius
Acts 10:43 .... whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

Paul and Silas' Gospel to the Philippian Jailer
Acts 16:31 ...Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved

Paul's Gospel to the Romans
Rom. 10:11 ... Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

GB said,
"Paul obviously preached the gospel of Christ crucified. Nobody denies this fact. This is the same gospel the twelve Apostles to the circumcision preached."
And then said,

"Paul and the apostleship to the circumcism clearly recognized the difference"

This seems contradictory.

greenbear 06-30-2009 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHN G (Post 23047)
Hello GB,

Jesus' Gospel to Nicodemus
John 3:16 ... whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Peter's Gospel to Cornelius
Acts 10:43 .... whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

Paul and Silas' Gospel to the Philippian Jailer
Acts 16:31 ...Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved

Paul's Gospel to the Romans
Rom. 10:11 ... Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

GB said,
"Paul obviously preached the gospel of Christ crucified. Nobody denies this fact. This is the same gospel the twelve Apostles to the circumcision preached."
And then said,

Hi John,

Quote:

GB said,
And then said,

It seems contradictory to you because you are not rightly dividing the scriptures. Paul refers to "his gospel" as being distinctive, a secret, a mystery, revealed directly from Christ only through him. If we don't recognize that Paul preaches BOTH the gospel of the cross of Christ and his distinctive gospel (which has been defined using Paul's own words so many times on this thread) you are left with contradictions.

Remember, "gospel" is a message of good news. Paul's gospel of the mystery that he got directly from Jesus is grace by faith alone apart from the law. It is the indwelling of the believer by the Holy Spirit. This dispensation is the believer apprehending salvation by doing nothing but believing on Christ's finished work on the cross. It's completely separate from the system that Israel had been under. See, it's not another gospel in the sense of the object of our faith which is Christ paying the price for our sins, it's the new way God is dispensing His salvation. Salvation has always been of grace, but now it is by grace through faith alone, not by works. Faith is not shown by our works in this dispensation that Paul's gospel describes. You could say grace=faith alone in Paul's gospel which is the dispensation of grace. And grace=faith + works in other dispensations. Of course, the works are not keeping the Law perfectly (which is impossible for any man but Christ) or it would not be grace. It is simply performing what God requires in that dispensation. This dispensation the only requirement is faith.

Paul's distinctive gospel is one of how God administers His grace rather than the source of His grace (Christ's finished work on the cross) which has always been the same. "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." Acts 4:12

Winman 06-30-2009 04:22 PM

Greenbear said

Quote:

I used to believe as Winman does when I was a brand new christian. I had no discernment whatsoever. I was a baby. I felt I had to shut out any new teaching because I was terrified of being deceived. I had so little discernment that I ended up in a cult, got out of that then right back in with a bunch of charismatic crazies. I'm probably only a child now but at least I'm eating solid food. Winman's not in a cult of which I am thankful. But I am wondering how long he has been a christian. All it takes is a simple prayer of faith to the Lord to show you the truth about a matter. He will do it if we ask Him. The Lord will open our understanding to His word if we will allow Him to.

Well, to answer your question. I have been a Christian for 44 years, having received Christ as a boy of 11.

I love the way you dispensationalists whether ultra, hyper, or whatever you call yourselves, believe yourselves to have superior knowledge and discernment over other Christians. It is just as several of the articles written by famous men of God have said.

From Dr. H.A. Ironside:

Quote:

Having had most intimate acquaintance with Bullingerism as taught by many for the last forty years, I have no hesitancy in saying that its fruits are evil. It has produced a tremendous crop of heresies throughout the length and breadth of this and other lands, it has divided Christians and wrecked churches and assemblies without number; it has lifted up its votaries in intellectual and spiritual pride to an appalling extent, so that they look with supreme contempt upon Christians who do not accept their peculiar views; and in most instances where it has been long tolerated, it has absolutely throttled Gospel effort at home and sown discord on missionary fields abroad. So true are these things of this system that I have no hesitancy in saying it is an absolutely Satanic perversion of the truth. Instead of rightly dividing the Word, I shall seek to show that these teachers wrongly divide the Word, and that their propaganda is anything but conducive to spirituality and enlightenment in divine things.
Of course, I'm sure you believe yourself to be far wiser, more knowledgeable, spiritual, and having more discernment than this famous preacher. :rolleyes:

If you would read his 7 chapter article, he will prove with scripture (rightly divided) that your belief system is absolutely full of error. Here is the article if you care (or should I say dare?) to read it.

http://www.gotothebible.com/HTML/wrongly1.html

Pastor Ironside was absolutely correct about those who follow this false teaching. They are full of intellectual and spiritual pride to an appalling extent.