AV1611 Bible Forum Archive

AV1611 Bible Forum Archive (https://av1611.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit-Chat (https://av1611.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   The Only Thing I Don't Like About This Forum (https://av1611.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1285)

tonybones2112 05-25-2009 10:25 AM

The Only Thing I Don't Like About This Forum

Is there any way to be logged into the forum proper longer than 15-20 minutes? I use the piece of dung Firefox browser because IE is too slow and Netscape takes to much memory and it crashes frequently in V-Boards. I spend two hours writing a message for this forum and then lose it.

Any way of logging in for good till I log out?

Grace and peace

Bones

Brother Tim 05-25-2009 10:51 AM

I don't know of any settings that extend the stay, but my system (using FireFox, a wonderful browser) never drops.

A suggestion for long-winded posts or those that take time to compose:
Use a text processor like NotePad to develop and save your post. When you are ready, re-check the thread to see if there has been any activity since you started your post, then create a post, copying your NotePad document.

P.S. Also, I never log out. I just exit when closing down. When I restart, everything is ready to go.

Forrest 05-25-2009 11:38 AM

When I have a longer post I usually write it on "Microsoft Word" and then copy and paste it to the forum. I then do any emphasis (highlights) I want to do and then submit reply...after I've previewed it several times. Hope these suggestions helped.

Diligent 05-25-2009 11:44 AM

If you select the "log me in automatically" option when you log in, it should keep you from losing a post. I've never lost a post even the (few) times it's taken me a while to compose it. And don't "log out" unless you are worried about someone accessing your computer to use your account.

That said, a browser is a terrible place to write text anyway. I'd suggest writing big posts in a text editor, then copying them in.

George 05-25-2009 11:45 AM

Re: "The Only Thing I Don't Like About This Forum"

Aloha brother Tony,

DITTO brother Forrest's comments. :cool:

I used to lose "long" Posts (which I have been known to post on occasion :D) until I started doing what Brother Forrest has suggested.

If your Post is in a "Word Processor" you can't lose it unless your computer crashes. :(

Luke 05-25-2009 02:28 PM

Tony, you should get Google Chrome. It works really well and has NEVER crashed on me.

tonybones2112 05-26-2009 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother Tim (Post 20616)
I don't know of any settings that extend the stay, but my system (using FireFox, a wonderful browser) never drops.

A suggestion for long-winded posts or those that take time to compose:
Use a text processor like NotePad to develop and save your post. When you are ready, re-check the thread to see if there has been any activity since you started your post, then create a post, copying your NotePad document.

P.S. Also, I never log out. I just exit when closing down. When I restart, everything is ready to go.

Tim, I run Win 98 on a Gateway zombie laptop. I call it a zombie because it should be dead but it's not. It was thrown at one time, it's held together with furnace tape and given to me by a friend. It's only got 96 meg of RAM, In contrast it has a 20 gig hardrive, that's nowher near 1/4 used, so much for "virtual memory", it has serious memory problems.

Firefox is what I am forced to used, IE and Netscape are not to my speed of working. I'm still running everything 32 bit and will until I can get a Mac, I'm finished with PC/Microsoft pairing.

Thanks for the suggestions you have been a help:)

Grace and peace brother

Tony

tonybones2112 05-26-2009 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forrest (Post 20617)
When I have a longer post I usually write it on "Microsoft Word" and then copy and paste it to the forum. I then do any emphasis (highlights) I want to do and then submit reply...after I've previewed it several times. Hope these suggestions helped.

I've had to do that a couple times Forrest. I take Cymbalta for ADD and also numbness of my left hand, it has a muscle relaxing effect on my neck injury also. It has a muscle relaxing effect on your whole body, including the eyes. My eyes don't focus right and I have to write in MS Word using 14 point type.

I think I just about have the problem licked, thanks for your input:) It helped.

Grace and peace

Tony