AV1611 Bible Forum Archive

AV1611 Bible Forum Archive (https://av1611.com/forums/index.php)
-   Doctrine (https://av1611.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Do Roman Catholics Go To Hell? (https://av1611.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1098)

Mind and Body 03-19-2009 02:23 PM

Do Roman Catholics Go To Hell?

Hi, I am new here, but, since most everyone here is a Protestant who disagrees with Catholicism, I want a definitive answer, with Biblical evidence. I am a Baptist myself, but I am not convinced that Roman Catholics are damned. If anyone here thinks that they are, then will you please tell me why? Because Chick and the like say that they are.

Fredoheaven 03-19-2009 10:20 PM

Of being saved

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mind and Body (Post 17086)
Hi, I am new here, but, since most everyone here is a Protestant who disagrees with Catholicism, I want a definitive answer, with Biblical evidence. I am a Baptist myself, but I am not convinced that Roman Catholics are damned. If anyone here thinks that they are, then will you please tell me why? Because Chick and the like say that they are.

I myself is a member of RC before I came to know Christ as my Saviour at the age of 14. I believed that all are sinners (Romans 3:23) in the sight of God whether you belong to a Prostestant Church or a Roman Catholic Church which simply means we are all damned to eternal hell. It is only because of God's grace that we are brought into life from the terrible darkness. Your question of RC if they are damned? The answer is imperatively yes when one did not accept Jesus to be His personal Saviour but no for the reason if one have already received Christ. I was saved when I am still a member of Roman Catholic Church yet God brought me into a right church when a Baptist Preacher baptized me and Praise the Lord that now I belong to a local bible believing baptist church. God blesss you in your search for the truth....

Kiwi Christian 03-19-2009 11:12 PM

Welcome to these forums Mind and Body, I hope you will be encouraged through them.

You ask a good question, of which a few of us down here in NZ discussed only two nights ago in a home Bible study. I don't think you can make a general statement that ALL Catholics are unsaved, because it's apparent that there have been some saved while mixed up in the religion, who came out later.

Catholicism is a cult, it is a counterfeit of Christianity whose roots go back to ancient Babylon, it is basically Baal worship in the guise of Christianity. Salvation is attained through a system of good works, NOT by grace through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ ALONE (Ephesians 2:8-9). They may say that they believe Jesus Christ is their Saviour, but deny Him as being the ONLY way to heaven. It's Jesus Christ PLUS the sacraments and good works, etc, etc.

I think one of the only sure ways to recognise a saved Catholic is when he leaves the Catholic church and goes on the serve the Lord, yet there may be some who do get saved but continue to be a memebr of the Catholic church and never do anything for God in this life, God only knows.

If you want to know for sure if a Catholic is saved or not, ask them the following question: "If you totally abandoned the Catholic church tomorrow and all you had left was faith in Jesus Christ and what He did on the cross for you, would you still go to heaven when you die?"

Buck 03-19-2009 11:26 PM

hi, I would say yes

I would think yes, because we are not to worship none other then God himself.

Catholics pray to mother Mary. " hail Mary, mother of God forgive us our---

We are to repent to Christ for our sins per the Bible, not a priest

Catholics claim to actually eating the body and blood of Jesus Christ at Communion. The bible says to take in remembrance of me.

Baptism is to be done by submersion, the same as Christ was. It's a public show of a new birth as a Christian.

chette777 03-20-2009 02:19 AM

I agree with Kiwi you can't assume all Catholics are unsaved.

as far as their worship today. let us remember there are plenty of Born Again churches from Evangelical Charismatics to some Baptist who practice things not found in the Bible. our practice does not determine our salvation.

If a person has truly trusted Jesus as the sole means for their salvation they are saved. prayers to Mary for forgiveness would amount to nothing just as going to the confessional amounts very nothing.

there is a Charismatic group here, most have trusted Jesus for salvation but they practice barfing demons into bags and believe they can be possessed by devils. their salvation is secure but the practice in unbiblical and they would grieve the Holy Ghost so their personal spiritual growth would be slow to nill because of such practices

Kiwi Christian 03-20-2009 02:43 AM

There was an idea tossed about in our discussion the other night that some Catholics have probably gotten saved by chance, considering how simple it is to be saved by accepting the truth of the gospel as a free gift, some Catholics could have been innocently reading the Bible and the Holy Spirit spoke to their heart about their need for Christ. Not every Catholic person is devout, and many don't even know the doctrines that their religion teaches (like all cults), they are Catholic in name only and not in practise, so if there is any hope for a Catholic to be saved it would be these ones.

Martin Luther is an example of a Catholic who realised from scripture that salvation was by grace through faith and not of works, but I'm not even sure he got saved in the end? He didn't want to come out of the Catholic church, he wanted to reform it. Of course he got excommunicated in the end. Can anyone shed any more light on whether or not he got saved?

Biblestudent 03-20-2009 05:02 AM

Chick publications may be "too hard" on Roman Catholics, but they do get the job done - opening people's eyes.

I remember when we went tract distribution and cemetery preaching on a November 1st, we were handing out "The Death Cookie" with smiles pasted on our face. After giving them out, we read it and "wished" we did not gave that tract. We wondered why we kindly handed out tracts and some religious fanatics looked angrily to us. The tract was too much for them.

But no, we did not regret. One lesson we learned from that experience is to read the tracts before giving them out.

Bro. Parrish 03-20-2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Welcome to the forums!
You are getting some good replies here. People are not condemned because of their denomination, they are condemned because of their unbelief.

"He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

I just want to add a few more thoughts for your consideration...

1. Baptists are not really protestants, we have different history.
2. Only God looks on hearts and knows who is saved for sure.
3. Catholics can certainly be saved, just like Baptists.
4. Baptists can be unsaved, just like Catholics.
5. Denominations do not save people, Christ saves people.
6. Catholic DOCTRINE does not lead one to salvation by grace.
7. Baptist DOCTRINE can lead one to salvation by grace.
8. The King James Bible is the final authority on our doctrine.

Good news for all Catholics; believers do not need an Italian priesthood system, or any other such system. Believers don't need a "mediator" to relate to God, the Bible tells us we now have Jesus, so we can "CUT OUT THE MIDDLE MAN!" :)
(Heb. 10:11-22, 1 Timothy 2:5, Eph. 2:8-9, Romans 3:23)

Forrest 03-20-2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Of course a Roman Catholic can be saved.

Quote:

Brother Parrish correctly wrote: People are not condemned because of their denomination, they are condemned because of their unbelief.

"He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18
To me, the relevant question is: "Can a true born-again "Catholic" continue to follow the false teaching of Catholicism?"
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
John 8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
Galatians 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Mind and Body 03-20-2009 12:36 PM

I nowhere said that people were saved by Church attendance or denomination or anything other than belief, but I was wondering if anyone here perscribed to the notion that Catholics worship a non-Scriptural Christ, or perhaps that some did not worship Him at all, which would damn them to Hell.

Bro. Parrish 03-20-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forrest (Post 17133)
To me, the relevant question is: "Can a true born-again "Catholic" continue to follow the false teaching of Catholicism?"

That's a good point Forrest, I think every Catholic I ever knew who got saved eventually came out of it completely and had nothing good to say about it afterwards.

One of my best friends many years ago was actually planning on becoming a priest. He started going to our church to hang out with the single adults ministry and he had a lot of questions. We use to play tennis together every week and I could tell he was in a lot of spiritual turmoil over this. I was able to relate because I had a fair amount of Catholic influence in my life as a youngster.

Well that old KJV got him straightened out and eventually he became a warrior for God and got married. I can recall several stories like this with former Catholics I have had the pleasure of knowing over the years. I think the more they learn about God's Word, the less they will feel comfortable in Catholic doctrine.

Winman 03-21-2009 07:56 AM

Years ago my best friend and co-worker was a devout Roman Catholic. We spoke about the Bible everyday. When I first knew him it was clear he thought he had to obey the teachings of the Roman Catholic church to be saved. I believe at that time he was lost, although only the Lord can say who is truly lost or saved. But I believe he was lost because according to his own words he had to obey the church to be saved. I showed him many scriptures over the years and he came to agree that we were saved by trusting in Jesus Christ 100% for our salvation without the works of the law. So, I believe he was saved later according to the own words coming out of his mouth. He even admitted that he believed the teaching of the RC was wrong. I suggested he come out of the RC church, but he felt he could help his church and teach the true gospel there. I moved away, but he probably still belongs to the RC church.

And just because someone is Baptist does not mean they are saved. Being saved has nothing to do with church membership. The Bible clearly teaches that we must believe on Jesus to be saved.

But what does believe mean? Any Roman Catholic will tell you that Jesus is the Son of God, that He died on the cross for our sins, and that He rose from the dead. Does that mean they are saved?

I don't think so. You have to go one step further than just affirming or believeing that Jesus died for us and rose from the dead. You have to trust Jesus 100% to get you to heaven. You must abandon or repent from the belief that good works, or that ordinances like baptism will get you to heaven.

I liken it to jumping out of a plane with a parachute. When you jump out of the plane, you are depending or believeing 100% for that parachute to get you to the ground safely. If that parachute fails, then you are a goner. And we do not help the parachute either, we do not flap our arms and try to fly. No, we depend or rely 100% on the parachute.

So, this is what I believe the biblical term to believe on Christ means. When I was a boy I prayed and asked Jesus Christ to forgive all my sins and come into my heart. And that is ALL my hope for heaven. I am depending completely on Jesus, if Jesus doesn't get me to heaven I am doomed. There is nothing good about me, and no works I can do to get to heaven. And I do not need Jesus plus good works, it is Jesus alone.

And you know, I am glad I can depend on Jesus to get me to heaven. I know Jesus can never fail. If I had to depend on myself I KNOW I would fail.

Many believe the 17th chapter of Revelations is the Roman Catholic church, and I think this is probably so myself. If so, there are absolutely saved people in the church as God calls them out in Rev 18:4

Rev 18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

You see here that God calls them "my people", so these people are saved, but in the wrong church.

Kiwi Christian 03-21-2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

...I want a definitive answer, with Biblical evidence. I am a Baptist myself, but I am not convinced that Roman Catholics are damned.

Please tell us why you don't think Roman Catholics are damned?

Have a read of the following insiders testimony of a former RC priest: http://www.biblebelievers.com/XRCCPRIEST.html

Excerpt:

"THE REASON WHY I SHARE

I share these truths with you now so that you can know God's way of salvation. Our basic fault as Catholics is that we believe that somehow we can of ourselves respond to the help God gives us to be right in His sight. This presupposition that many of us have carried for years is aptly defined in the Catechism of the Catholic Church (1994) #2021, "Grace is the help God gives us to respond to our vocation of becoming his adopted sons...."

With that mindset, we were unknowingly holding to a teaching that the Bible continually condemns. Such a definition of grace is man's careful fabrication, for the Bible consistently declares that the believer's right standing with God is "without works" (Romans 4:6), "without the deeds of the Law" (Romans 3:28), "not of works" (Ephesians 2:9), "It is the gift of God," (Ephesians 2:8). To attempt to make the believer's response part of his salvation and to look upon grace as "a help" is to flatly deny Biblical truth,

"...if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace..." (Romans 11:6). The simple Biblical message is that "the gift of righteousness" in Christ Jesus is a gift, resting on His all-sufficient sacrifice on the cross, "For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ" (Romans 5:17).

So it is as Christ Jesus Himself said, He died in place of the believer, the One for many (Mark 10:45), His life a ransom for many. As He declared, ...this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins" (Matthew 26:28). This is also what Peter proclaimed, "For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God..." (I Peter 3:18).

Paul's preaching is summarized at the end of II Corinthians 5:21, "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.." (II Cor. 5:21).

This fact, dear reader, is presented clearly to you in the Bible. Acceptance of it is now commanded by God, "...Repent ye, and believe the gospel" (Mark 1:15).

The most difficult repentance for us dyed-in-the-wool Catholics is changing our mind from thoughts of "meriting," "earning," "being good enough," simply to accepting with empty hands the gift of righteousness in Christ Jesus. To refuse to accept what God commands is the same sin as that of the religious Jews of Paul's time, "For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God." (Romans 10:3)"

Traditional Anglican 03-21-2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chette777 (Post 17113)
I agree with Kiwi you can't assume all Catholics are unsaved.

as far as their worship today. let us remember there are plenty of Born Again churches from Evangelical Charismatics to some Baptist who practice things not found in the Bible. our practice does not determine our salvation.

If a person has truly trusted Jesus as the sole means for their salvation they are saved. prayers to Mary for forgiveness would amount to nothing just as going to the confessional amounts very nothing.

there is a Charismatic group here, most have trusted Jesus for salvation but they practice barfing demons into bags and believe they can be possessed by devils. their salvation is secure but the practice in unbiblical and they would grieve the Holy Ghost so their personal spiritual growth would be slow to nill because of such practices

I think it was Luther who summed it up with the words: "There are saved people in the Roman Church....in SPITE of the Roman Church.:cool:

Bro. Parrish 03-21-2009 05:17 PM

People are dying see the Pope... :cool:
http://www.kktv.com/news/headlines/41631902.html

tonybones2112 03-22-2009 04:32 AM

Quote:

Many people may think Jack Chick is a "hardcase", they've never talked to the man as I have. They've never heard him speak also. Stand Chick up next to Paul or Peter and you'll find him surprisingly sedate. Yes, we're all sinners but as a Christian Jack Chick will have many, many rewards in heaven.

To issue a blanket condemnation might seem wrong, but the best place to answer your question is the Scriptures:

Ga 1:6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
Ga 1:7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
Ga 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
Ga 1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
Ga 1:11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

The Catholic believes another gospel not preached by Paul.

2Co 11:4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

The Jesus Christ of Catholicism is not the Jesus Christ preached by Paul, or anybody for that matter.

John 2:3 And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine.
4 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come.

Joh 19:26 When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!

Jer 44:17 But we will certainly do whatsoever thing goeth forth out of our own mouth, to burn incense unto the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, as we have done, we, and our fathers, our kings, and our princes, in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem: for then had we plenty of victuals, and were well, and saw no evil.
Jer 44:18 But since we left off to burn incense to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, we have wanted all things, and have been consumed by the sword and by the famine.
Jer 44:19 And when we burned incense to the queen of heaven, and poured out drink offerings unto her, did we make her cakes to worship her, and pour out drink offerings unto her, without our men?
Jer 44:25 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, saying; Ye and your wives have both spoken with your mouths, and fulfilled with your hand, saying, We will surely perform our vows that we have vowed, to burn incense to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her: ye will surely accomplish your vows, and surely perform your vows.

The Mary of the Bible is not the Mary of Catholicism. Jesus did not hesitate to rebuke His mother if he felt the need.

It's hard to look upon a group of fundamentalist Bible Christians and pick out the saved and lost ones, but in the matter of your question, generally, yes, they are damned by their complacency in not searching the Scriptures for themselves to see if their "church" is correct in what they teach.

Grace and peace

Tony

Mind and Body 03-22-2009 03:17 PM

What I meant was, did some here think that Catholics aren't getting to "The Real McCoy", as it were, they are not expressing belief in the Real Christ, only the angry, co-mediatrix, Second-to-Mary type of Jesus that Catholics believe in? because that, I thought, was what damned Catholics to Hell. I really started to have my doubts in Catholicism when my friend Benjamin's mother, a devout Catholic that never misses Mass, suggested in a short conversation that God might be Female. She said of the Bible, which clearly teaches otherwise, that "the opinions of the writers got mixed up in the writings." I really was so flabbergasted that I had then nothing to say to her, but I can tell you that I am almost sure that she is not Born-Again.

Fredoheaven 03-22-2009 09:04 PM

Catholic damned to Hell

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mind and Body (Post 17236)
What I meant was, did some here think that Catholics aren't getting to "The Real McCoy", as it were, they are not expressing belief in the Real Christ, only the angry, co-mediatrix, Second-to-Mary type of Jesus that Catholics believe in? because that, I thought, was what damned Catholics to Hell. I really started to have my doubts in Catholicism when my friend Benjamin's mother, a devout Catholic that never misses Mass, suggested in a short conversation that God might be Female. She said of the Bible, which clearly teaches otherwise, that "the opinions of the writers got mixed up in the writings." I really was so flabbergasted that I had then nothing to say to her, but I can tell you that I am almost sure that she is not Born-Again.

What really a catholic or to anyone damned to eternal hell is that their rejection to the Biblical Christ as their personal Saviour. Even a man who may be knowledgeable in many things of the bible yet still be damned to hell. I guess it's not what they believe in that makes them damned to eternal hell.Again, It is their full rejection to the Christ of the Bible as their Saviour.God's provision to man's need (incluing Catholic) was met at the cross of calvary. And only those who received Him (John 1:12) will be saved.

Jude 25
www.fredsites.weebly.com

Winman 03-23-2009 02:40 PM

Mind and Body

Here is a good article from the Jesus-Is-Savior website that goes into some detail about what Catholics believe they must believe and do to go to Heaven.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False..._salvation.htm

Bro. Parrish 03-23-2009 03:08 PM

Quote:

What I meant was, did some here think that Catholics aren't getting to "The Real McCoy", as it were, they are not expressing belief in the Real Christ, only the angry, co-mediatrix, Second-to-Mary type of Jesus that Catholics believe in?

Well M&B, I think your concern is valid.
If a cult or any religious system creates enough confusion for its followers, it will certainly lead to a false sense of salvation by works and a false understanding of Christ, which is very dangerous! That's why I wrote back in post no 8, "Catholic DOCTRINE does not lead one to salvation by grace."

You can see an example of this false sense of salvaton in Matthew chapter 7---I call this the most frightening passage in the Bible---because these poor people actually THINK they are saved!

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
-- Matt 7:22-23

Buck 03-23-2009 03:29 PM

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 17109)
I would think yes, because we are not to worship none other then God himself.

Catholics pray to mother Mary. " hail Mary, mother of God forgive us our---

We are to repent to Christ for our sins per the Bible, not a priest

Catholics claim to actually eating the body and blood of Jesus Christ at Communion. The bible says to take in remembrance of me.

Baptism is to be done by submersion, the same as Christ was. It's a public show of a new birth as a Christian.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
AS I posted in layman words above. You must be born again by repenting to the Lord for your sins.

Kiwi Christian 03-23-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Correct, what ultimately damns a Catholic to hell is that they do not believe in the "real" Jesus who is the ONLY mediator between God and man, who is the ONLY acceptable sacrifice for sins, and who died, was buried, and rose again ONCE ONLY...not every mass service!

However, despite the false doctrines of the Catholic church and every effort to blind it's members to the Way, Truth, and Life, I believe that some Catholics do find the real Jesus in their lifetime and do get saved. I reject the blanket statement that "ALL Catholics are damned to hell."

George 03-23-2009 05:06 PM

Re: " Do Roman Catholics Go To Hell?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 17289)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"AS I posted in layman words above. You must be born again by repenting to the Lord for your sins."

Aloha brother Buck,

This Post is not meant to castigate or demean you personally in any way, but - REPENTING of one's sins does not save a person, nor are they saved {born again} "by repenting to the Lord for your sins". {Catholics "repent" of their sins often, but if they depend on their "repentance" for their salvation, they are sadly mistaken.}

True Bible salvation is quite simple:

Question: WHAT must I DO to be saved? Answer: "BELIEVE ON the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved".

Acts 16:30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

When a person "believes" on the Lord Jesus Christ - they believe the "Gospel" (as defined by the Apostle Paul):

1 Corinthians 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Repenting of our sins does NOT save us - the shed blood, and sacrificial death, burial, and resurrection of the Lord saves us. He did the "work" - it is up to us to BELIEVE that when He said "it is FINISHED", that there is NOTHING that we can DO, other than BELIEVE on His FINISHED WORK, that can save us (and that includes repenting of our sins).

When a man truly BELIEVES (in his heart) on the Lord Jesus Christ several things happen to him - amongst which are: He is "born again" of the Spirit of God:

John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

When a man truly BELIEVES (in his heart) on the Lord Jesus Christ, he becomes a son of God through a supernatural operation of God's Holy Spirit:

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

There are other things that happen also - the born again child of God is "baptized" (by the Holy Spirit of God into the body of Christ; they are "circumcised with the circumcision made without hands"; they become a member of God's family; they are "sealed" by the Holy Spirit forever more; and much more.

When a person BELIEVES the "Gospel", they are not always aware of the work that God performs in them, they only BELIEVE (in their heart) in the sacrifice of the Lord Jesus Christ for their sins. (He died in our place - and His blood paid the price that God required for an ATONEMENT for our sins.) - They BELIEVE ON the Lord Jesus Christ (PLUS NOTHING - MINUS NOTHING) that's all that is required - and that is why even a child can BELIEVE and be saved. {What sins does a child commit that need to be "repented of"?}

The "Gospel" of the Grace of God is simple - the work that God performs, the moment a person BELIEVES, is quite complicated; so much so, that many Christians "stumble" at all of the various things that God does at the moment a person becomes "born again". And I doubt if anyone fully comprehends the total operation that God performs at the moment of salvation.

As I said before salvation is simple:

Romans 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Please notice repentance is NOT a part of salvation. Some people are saved after deep repentance; others (like myself) were not so much aware of just how sinful we really were until after we were saved, and (as in my case - deep repentance occurred after I became born again). But I repeat, my repentance had NOTHING to do with God's free gift of salvation that He bestowed upon me in October 1958.

There is NOTHING that we can DO to receive God's Grace, other than BELIEVE ON THE LORD JESUS CHRIST. If there is something that we can DO to ADD to what Christ has already done (like repentance), then we are ADDING to THE FINISHED WORK OF CHRIST - which is not only Scripturally impossible, but we are, in essence, diminishing the work of Christ on the cross, and questioning whether His sacrifice is complete in and of itself.

I am a simple man. I have not attended a university; college; seminary; or Bible School. It's not necessary to go to "School" to understand the things I have said here - all one has to do is study the Scriptures. Just because I am an elder in a church doesn't make me any "different" than any other born again child of God. I do not subscribe to the "clergy"/"layman" setup that is so prevalent in many churches nowadays. If a person is genuinely saved (i.e. born again) then they have the SAME Holy Spirit abiding in them that abides in me. And as such, there is NO "Clergy" - "Layman" DIVISION between us. We are all brethren - regardless of our education, schooling, or intellect.

1 John 2:20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

1 John 2:25 And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life.
26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Brother, the simplicity that is in Christ is simple; God's salvation is simple; the Gospel of the Grace of God is simple {to him (or her) that believeth}. We should be extremely careful that we do not add to it, and either inadvertently or purposely take away from the finished work of Christ. {This is what most Roman Catholics "stumble" at - most of them just won't accept the fact that Christ's sacrifice on Calvary is sufficient for their salvation. They think that there must be SOMETHING (other than Believe) that they must DO themselves to get saved.}

1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

1 John 5:12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

Renee 03-23-2009 05:30 PM

Do Roman Catholics Go To Hell

I am a former Catholic. I say without a doubt in my heart that All Roman Catholics go to hell. My reason for saying this is: Once you are saved (Born again by the redemption of Christ Blood) You can no longer call yourself a Roman Catholic. You are either a Roman Catholic relying on the Church to get you to Heaven or a child of God relying on the Blood of Christ to get you to heaven. You cannot have both.

You may continue to go to the Catholic Church for various reasons. We had a friend who promised his dying mother he would attend the Catholic Church while she was on her deathbed. He kept that promise to her but never once denied that 'The BLOOD OF CHRIST WAS HIS ONLY REDEMPTION." He was no longer a Roman Cathoilic, He was a child of God and I know we will see him in glory.

Catholics have a saying, " once a Catholic, always a Catholic". I praise the Lord that He is my Saviour and that I am no longer bound by the Laws of the Catholic Church.

Yes, all Roman Catholics go to Hell!

Saved by Grace.
Renee

Fredoheaven 03-23-2009 07:57 PM

What if a Roman Catholic died after he believes the Gospel?

What if one died and buried for being a Catholic on a day after he believed the gospel presented by a Christian? Is he saved or not?:rolleyes:

Bro. Parrish 03-23-2009 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renee (Post 17293)
Yes, all Roman Catholics go to Hell!

As do all Baptists if they are not born again!

Kiwi Christian 03-23-2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredoheaven (Post 17315)
What if one died and buried for being a Catholic on a day after he believed the gospel presented by a Christian? Is he saved or not?:rolleyes:

Of course he is saved, but I think Renee's point is that he would no longer call himself a catholic at that point. His family and the church would probably still recognise him as a catholic though, they would probably claim he wasn't in his right mind on his deathbed! :rolleyes:

Renee 03-23-2009 08:18 PM

Brother Kiwi,

Please note he stood by his dying mother's bedside.

Brother Parish,

Yes, definitely,All unsaved Baptist, matter of fact all unsaved people.

Aloha Renee

Mind and Body 03-23-2009 08:22 PM

I just don't understand why most Catholics think that their religion is the only way to heaven. Since the Vatican II Council, Protestants are no longer to be called "heretics", but instead "separated brethren". But hyper-Catholic Web sites like NewAdvent.org still calls Protestants heretics and says that they are damned to hell. It is just not in the Whore's best intrest to be so divisive...

Bro. Parrish 03-23-2009 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mind and Body (Post 17323)
I just don't understand why most Catholics think that their religion is the only way to heaven.

This pretty common with many cults and works based systems...

Bro. Parrish 03-23-2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renee (Post 17322)
Brother Parish,

Yes, definitely,All unsaved Baptist, matter of fact all unsaved people.

Aloha Renee

Very true!

Kiwi Christian 03-23-2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renee (Post 17322)
Brother Kiwi,

Please note he stood by his dying mother's bedside.

I think we crossed wires somehow? I was responding to Fredoheaven's question, which I don't think related to the story in your post, but I presumed he missed the point you made about once a catholic is saved he can no longer call himself a catholic. Poorly worded on my part methinks.

Renee 03-23-2009 09:24 PM

Brother Kiwi,

It is so easy to make mistakes with everything going on. My mind at 63 (see what I mean?) 65 works slow sometimes.

Aloha,
Renee

Buck 03-23-2009 11:36 PM

Your right George,
I was thinking faster then typing. One has to first invite
Christ into their heart and then repent their sins

Luke 03-25-2009 12:08 PM

Noone goes to hell for being a Catholic, Jew, Muslim etc.

They go to hell for rejecting the only escape from hell and having to pay the penalty for their own sin.

Mind and Body 03-25-2009 02:18 PM

No one suggested that, Bro. Luke.

Buck 03-25-2009 04:26 PM

Ok, Bro. Luke Thanks.
I have at times typed wrong, the though I was having.
A missed used word can change the whole thing. LOL

tonybones2112 03-25-2009 07:50 PM

Quote:

I just don't understand why most Catholics think that their religion is the only way to heaven. Since the Vatican II Council, Protestants are no longer to be called "heretics", but instead "separated brethren". But hyper-Catholic Web sites like NewAdvent.org still calls Protestants heretics and says that they are damned to hell. It is just not in the Whore's best intrest to be so divisive...

MAB, there are many definitions of a cult. The true and clinical one, if you will, is any religion that follows two authorities. I was in Church of Christ, they base their beliefs on the Bible and the teachings of Alexander Hamilton. The Mormons are the Bible and the teachings of Joseph Smith. The Jehovahs Witnesses are their bible and the teachings oif the Watchtower Organization, and the list goes on. The Catholic Church is the king od cults but follows the pattern: The Bible and Catholic traditions/teaching. The reason why so many ex-Catholics make of the majority of members in the cults(particularly the JWs) is simple: Catholics are already ingrained with the concept of two OPPOSING authorities in many cases.

I am glad you are free of them.

Grace and peace

Tony

tonybones2112 03-25-2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke (Post 17393)
Noone goes to hell for being a Catholic, Jew, Muslim etc.

They go to hell for rejecting the only escape from hell and having to pay the penalty for their own sin.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift, brother.

Grace and peace

Tony

Buck 03-26-2009 12:51 AM

Quote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is what the pope tells them.