AV1611 Bible Forum Archive

AV1611 Bible Forum Archive (https://av1611.com/forums/index.php)
-   Doctrine (https://av1611.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Worst Sermon I ever heard (https://av1611.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1089)

Luke 03-16-2009 02:12 PM

The Worst Sermon I ever heard

I just had to sit through a chapel service at school. I remembered today why I stopped going.

Rev. Ann Thompson (:tsk:) gave the "talk". It was about how god (I use little g, her god is not my God) is calling the churches to live peacably with his creation, and how this is god's will for our lives. She quoted Genesis 1, from the "Ann Thompson" version, which removed every single reference to day, and added in day 5 being good, despite God not saying that it was. Then she talked about some "walk for life" for 10 minutes, which is some environmental rubbish. My whole school is turning into an environmental circus. I felt like standing up and saying "this is all well and good, but I think God cares more about your soul than his earth, since he BURNS IT UP in Revelation 20". I need to get a Bible study started here or something. It's something I have been praying about for a while. I am in good favour with the principal, so I need to speak to her about it.

Forrest 03-16-2009 02:24 PM

That would be great if you could start a Bible study. I'm praying with you.

Winman 03-16-2009 02:53 PM

We don't have any Reverends named "Ann" in the church I go to. Maybe Andrew, or Angelo, or Anthony, but not Ann. :)

I would have gotten up and left right then.

stephanos 03-16-2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke (Post 16911)
I just had to sit through a chapel service at school. I remembered today why I stopped going.

Rev. Ann Thompson (:tsk:) gave the "talk". It was about how god (I use little g, her god is not my God) is calling the churches to live peacably with his creation, and how this is god's will for our lives. She quoted Genesis 1, from the "Ann Thompson" version, which removed every single reference to day, and added in day 5 being good, despite God not saying that it was. Then she talked about some "walk for life" for 10 minutes, which is some environmental rubbish. My whole school is turning into an environmental circus. I felt like standing up and saying "this is all well and good, but I think God cares more about your soul than his earth, since he BURNS IT UP in Revelation 20". I need to get a Bible study started here or something. It's something I have been praying about for a while. I am in good favour with the principal, so I need to speak to her about it.

Good grief. That's rough! :jaw:

Peace and Love,
Stephen

Luke 03-16-2009 03:35 PM

I am a teacher by the way, not a student.

Kiwi Christian 03-16-2009 04:19 PM

I have only sat through one "sermon" by a woman before, it was when I was travelling around the South Island, NZ, on holiday in a campervan. It was a Sunday and we stopped at the Baptist Church in Greymouth, there was no other suitable church around at the time. I was a young Christian but still knew that it was wrong for a woman to be behind the pulpit "preaching", but I could hardly contain myself, for some reason I couldn't stop laughing?

I feel for you brother, but this world is going to get worse before it gets better. Hang in there, I pray you get that Bible study going, even if it's not on school grounds in school time?

Winman 03-16-2009 04:40 PM

I hope no one took me wrong. In my opinion, generally speaking, women are far more godly and love the Lord more than men. And I do think that women can teach in some capacities. I do not have a problem with a woman teaching young children, in fact, they may be better suited to it than men.

But as soon as young men or women start to mature, I would say in their teens, I do not think it appropriate for women to be in a position of authority as a teacher over them.

Hayseed 03-17-2009 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke (Post 16923)
I am a teacher by the way, not a student.

Glad you cleared that up:D
I'll pray also that you will find favor before God and man,in this case a female principal,to have these Bible studies.

peopleoftheway 03-17-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Social Gospel and good works litter Churches today Brother, it is heartbreaking and frustrating to see generally good people being led away with such liberal tripe. The problem is these people are ashamed of the Gospel, they don't want to offend anyone with the truth

2 Timothy 3:4
Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Social Gospel wont get souls saved!
As for your Bible study, do it Brother, if its only you and one other and the truth is shared then its worth it.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.:amen:

God bless Brother and how wonderful it is that we can say with the apostle

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Bro. Parrish 03-17-2009 01:06 PM

Quote:

Why don't you ask them if you can give a message at the Chapel?
Or maybe invite Bro Kiwi to do a presentation on the Gospel and the future of the current environment. That should stir things up a little... :)