AV1611 Bible Forum Archive

AV1611 Bible Forum Archive (https://av1611.com/forums/index.php)
-   Prayer Requests (https://av1611.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Called to Preach (https://av1611.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786)

pbiwolski 12-08-2008 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephanos (Post 12721)
I think you need to do a few things before you jump to any conclusions. First look up the word dispensation, since you don't appear to know what that word means. Second, read what the Holy Scriptures say in regards to the qualifications a preacher must meet. I don't believe God would call a man that doesn't meet the qualifications He laid out.

Easy, Stephanos, be careful that you don't jump to conclusions.

A call to preach and the "office of a bishop" are not the same thing, and an evangelist is NOT a pastor of a local church. Those qualifications are only for the one holding the position in that office.

Disclaimer: some of you will dissagree with the following for one obvious reason, nevertheless...
I know a man that is currently on deputation to the mission field. He was in the process of contacting pastors in hopes of scheduling meetings etc. One pastor asked him, "Have you ever been divorced?" He wittily replied, "Are you trying to qualify me to be a pastor?"

Good question.

KJBPrincess 12-08-2008 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbiwolski (Post 12743)
Easy, Stephanos, be careful that you don't jump to conclusions.

A call to preach and the "office of a bishop" are not the same thing, and an evangelist is NOT a pastor of a local church. Those qualifications are only for the one holding the position in that office.

Disclaimer: some of you will dissagree with the following for one obvious reason, nevertheless...
I know a man that is currently on deputation to the mission field. He was in the process of contacting pastors in hopes of scheduling meetings etc. One pastor asked him, "Have you ever been divorced?" He wittily replied, "Are you trying to qualify me to be a pastor?"

Good question.

I bet that pastor of that church tried to argue that being a missionary includes starting a church on the field (actually, that happens most of the time... from what I've heard). Still, it's none of his business.

Luke 12-08-2008 01:41 PM

Was reading this last night

1Co 7:27 Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed.[Don't desire a divorce] Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife.[if you are divorced, don't seek a wife - a man that has never married has never been loosed (set free) from a wife]
1Co 7:28 But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned; [but if you are divorced and do marry, you have not sinned] and if a virgin marry, she hath not sinned. Nevertheless such shall have trouble in the flesh: but I spare you.

That's how I understood it.

KJBPrincess 12-08-2008 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke (Post 12747)
Was reading this last night

1Co 7:27 Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed.[Don't desire a divorce] Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife.[if you are divorced, don't seek a wife - a man that has never married has never been loosed (set free) from a wife]
1Co 7:28 But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned; [but if you are divorced and do marry, you have not sinned] and if a virgin marry, she hath not sinned. Nevertheless such shall have trouble in the flesh: but I spare you.

That's how I understood it.

Vince sees that those verses the same way... he pointed them out to me a while ago.

cb6445 12-08-2008 10:31 PM

Call to Preach

Well, thanks for the encouragement Stephanos. Since you are so intelligent please enlighten me on how you take 1Cor 9:17! Oh, and also while you're at it, please enlighten us all on 1John 2:27. Oh, last thing, how old was John ("in the lord")? Thank you PB for clearing that up with Stephanos. Trust me Stephanos, I have the fear of GOD in me and I would have NEVER announced a call like that, unless I knew for sure it was of the Lord. I read the requirements that were laid out, I know I need to study to show myself approved, I know I am a novice, that's why I didn't say I was going to be a pastor. I love you in the Lord, brother, but I do NOT need man to teach me ANYTHING! I've got the greatest teacher of all. I am studying to show myself approved unto GOD, not of man. Oh, and by the way, I was born again barely 4 months ago. Hear me well, I AM CALLED TO DO THE WORK OF AN EVANGELIST by my heavenly father. I didn't seek this, I WAS CALLED/CHOSEN by GOD. Please give me 1 verse of scripture giving a time frame from when you were saved to when you can be an evangelist. Please read 1John 2:27 for me. Seems to me your more worried about man's qualifications than God's. Are you Southern Baptist? LOL. I'm only joking. I'm a BAPTIST myself. Just thought I'd try to lighten the mood.

cb6445 12-08-2008 10:39 PM

Oh, Stephanos, please refer to the KJV1611. I'm beginning to wonder if you're reading the same Bible I am! Maybe there is a time frame from when you're saved to when you can be an evangelist in a perverted version of the Bible. I'll see if I can find an NIV or NKJV or whatever it is you're reading from and see if I can find it in there. Ahhh, don't get mad, I'm just kiddin with ya ("Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.", right?)

stephanos 12-08-2008 11:46 PM

Wow, you'd think I said something wrong. I'm going to refrain from commenting on your posts and allow someone else to do so.

pbiwolski, I see your point. I hadn't orignially made the connection that he was speaking of an evangelist, rather then a preacher. Nevertheless my concerns are still valid in light of his last two posts.

For Jesus' sake,
Stephen

MC1171611 12-09-2008 07:06 AM

Stephanos, you were indeed harsher than necessary in your post. I think it would be a good idea to reread your post and consider it through the eyes of the Spirit of God instead of the carnal eyes of the flesh.

cb6445, it's good to hear that you are submitting to the call of God. "For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance." The Lord will use many, many things in your life to strengthen and break you at the same time: as men called into the ministry, we must remember to be like John: "He must increase, but I must decrease." Everything that we say, do, think and believe must be OF Him, BY Him and THROUGH Him.

On that note: give Bro. Stephanos a little grace: it's obvious that we're all still growing in the Lord and in the knowledge of His word, and some need it more than others, but it's good to remember that "Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth." As Christians we must strive not to let the knowledge get in the way of the charity, but also not get mushy and weak of doctrine. I'd like to encourage you to keep your nose in the Book, pray continually, ask questions about things you haven't yet learned, and above all, remember that our mission is to glorify God, and shooting each other (returning friendly fire is still friendly fire ;) ) simply hurts the mission that God has set us on already.

God bless!

pbiwolski 12-09-2008 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephanos (Post 12774)
I hadn't orignially made the connection that he was speaking of an evangelist, rather then a preacher.

Still a difference should be made in your wording. I assume by "preacher" you mean "pastor." It would help to distinguish between the two, for not all that are called to preach and called to pastor. In Acts 8:3-4, men and women went out and preached the gospel. Anyway, I'm not trying to be picky with you...

George 12-09-2008 10:08 AM

Re: "Call to preach"

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephanos (Post 12774)
Wow, you'd think I said something wrong. I'm going to refrain from commenting on your posts and allow someone else to do so.

pbiwolski, I see your point. I hadn't orignially made the connection that he was speaking of an evangelist, rather then a preacher. Nevertheless my concerns are still valid in light of his last two posts.

For Jesus' sake,
Stephen

Aloha brother Stephen,

I have some of the same concerns that you have concerning cb6445.

After reading his Posts I see a whole lot of "emotion" and very little Scriptural discernment.

I cannot speak to his "calling", but I can say that as a new born babe in Christ he must get thoroughly grounded in the word of God, before he begins to go out as an "evangelist".

There is a difference between "witnessing" for and about the Lord Jesus Christ (which every Christian can and should do) and holding a Scriptural office in a church. Check out the verses on "evangelists" in the Bible [there aren't that many - Acts 21:8; Ephesians 4:11; 2Timothy 4:5] and the qualifications and duties of an evangelist are not clearly stated in the Scriptures.

However, some things are clear:
Quote:

Ephesians 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

The offices of the apostles and prophets {all of whom were Jews} in the church ceased with the death of the apostles (Peter, James, Paul, and John, etc.).

The two (2) offices in the church {today} that are clearly laid out in the Scriptures are the office of a "bishop" {i.e. elder/pastor} and deacon.

The office (and duties) of an "evangelist" is not spelled out in Scripture, and the only "examples" we have of "evangelists" are Philip [Acts 21:8]; and Timothy [2Timothy 4:5] - Both of whom, by the way, were also Jews.

We know something about Timothy's "ministry" (he assisted the apostle Paul), but we don't know that much about Philip's "ministry":

Quote:

Acts 21:8 And the next day we that were of Paul's company departed, and came unto Caesarea: and we entered into the house of Philip the evangelist, which was one of the seven; and abode with him.
This "Philip" was "one of the seven":
Quote:

Acts 6:5 And the saying pleased the whole multitude: and they chose Stephen, {#1} a man full of faith and of the Holy Ghost, and Philip {#2}, and Prochorus {#3}, and Nicanor {#4}, and Timon {#5}, and Parmenas {#6}, and Nicolas {#7} a proselyte of Antioch:
According to the Bible the purpose of an evangelist is for: "For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:" {NOT just preaching the Gospel} And as such, his qualifications should be no less than at least those required for a deacon. God does not have "free lance" operators that are outside of His body and are "footloose" and "fancy free" to do exactly as they please.

In the last 100 years of church history, I know of no other office in the church of God that has been as abused and misused as that of an "evangelist"; and I believe one of the reasons for this abuse is the lack of any oversight (on the part of a church - the body, not just a pastor) of evangelists.

The closest ministry to that of a Scriptural "evangelist" today would be a "missionary" - not some "free-lancer", who is out there "doing his thing" without any supervision or oversight at all!

Keep up the good work brother - I am greatly encouraged by your Posts and the obvious growth in your discernment and understanding of the Scriptures. :)