AV1611 Bible Forum Archive

AV1611 Bible Forum Archive (https://av1611.com/forums/index.php)
-   Doctrine (https://av1611.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Is water baptism for today? (https://av1611.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1204)

Brother Tim 04-29-2009 11:19 AM

Is water baptism for today?

In one of the recent threads elsewhere in the forum, the issue of water baptism was brought up. I am not a dispensationalist myself, so my interpretation is different from the start, but I would like to find out how widespread is this doctrine that water baptism is not for today's believers.

Brother Tim 04-29-2009 11:25 AM

I'll start out the discussion by saying that I fully believe in the ordinance of water baptism for believers today. If I am wrong, then I am in biiiig TROUBLE, 'cause I've lost count of the number that I have baptized.

BornAgainBibleBeliever514 04-29-2009 11:32 AM

Before I can vote on this, I need to know if you mean that water baptism is part of salvation, or if it done as a publick proclamation of what has already taken place for the believer?

I got baptized after I got saved, but not TO be saved.

And in no way can anyone scripturally support the lunacy of infant baptism, although they sprinkled me when I was a baby, accomplishing nothing.

Brother Tim 04-29-2009 11:45 AM

The intent was baptism AFTER salvation, not as a part. That's why I used "for believers" in the question. There is not much room for the question so I took the best shot I could. I would HOPE that no regular posters here believe in baptism as a requirement for salvation, but there may be someone lurking here that does.

Please, anyone, comment along with your vote.

Bro. Parrish 04-29-2009 11:57 AM

Of course Bro. Tim! Believer's Baptism is Biblical and yes---we understand it is NOT required as part of salvation---but definitely water baptism is most certainly for believers today. And let me be clear when we say BAPTISM we are not talking about a Catholic sprinkle---only immersion (burial) symbolizes the death, burial, and resurrection of the Lord. Christian baptism is important because it is a step of obedience – publicly declaring our faith in Christ. And I say that as an Independent, Fundamental Baptist. :)

Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. Roman 6:4

Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead. Col 2:12

And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house. And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway. Acts 16:31-33

Brother Tim 04-29-2009 12:00 PM

Well said, Brother Parrish.

Rolando 04-29-2009 12:13 PM

Yes, I believe that water baptism (by immersion) is Biblically correct today. However, I got baptized after I got saved, not before. Salvation is to put your trust on the Lord Jesus Christ and only Him to save you (John 14:6). I understand that baptism is nothing more than a public confession of faith for the born again believer, and NOT a requirement for salvation. Sure, I got sprinkled as a baby, but that's not worth anything in the LORD's eyes.

"For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect." (1st Corinthians 1:17)

Fredoheaven 04-29-2009 02:41 PM

Matthew 28:19-20 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Believers baptism is for today and until Christ returns...:)

Cody1611 04-29-2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bro. Parrish (Post 18882)
Of course Bro. Tim! Believer's Baptism is Biblical and yes---we understand it is NOT required as part of salvation---but definitely water baptism is most certainly for believers today. And let me be clear when we say BAPTISM we are not talking about a Catholic sprinkle---only immersion (burial) symbolizes the death, burial, and resurrection of the Lord. Christian baptism is important because it is a step of obedience – publicly declaring our faith in Christ. And I say that as an Independent, Fundamental Baptist. :)

Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. Roman 6:4

Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead. Col 2:12

And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house. And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway. Acts 16:31-33

In agreement with Bro Parrish.

chette777 04-29-2009 09:17 PM

Is water Baptism correct for believers today?

It is not for today if one is doing it to be saved?
It is not for today is one is doing it for the remission of sins?
It is not for today is one is wanting to join the Body of Christ?
It is not for today if it is for regeneration?
It is not for today if it is used for any other reason than the believers desire to make a public profession of their faith and Publicly identify with Christ?

You are a dispensationalist if you agree that Old Testament Salvation is different that Church Age Salvation.

You are a dispensationalist if you agree God has a different times dealt differently with mankind at different times. i.e. Garden, pre flood, post flood, pre-Israel, Israel, body of Christ, Tribulation, Millennial Kingdom, Eternity.