AV1611 Bible Forum Archive

AV1611 Bible Forum Archive (https://av1611.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bible Studies (https://av1611.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Therapeutic Abortion (https://av1611.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744)

Biblestudent 11-19-2008 09:21 AM

Therapeutic Abortion

Where do Bible believers stand on this issue?

stephanos 11-19-2008 03:13 PM

If it was induced by the mother or a third party I believe it is the same thing as an elective abortion.

Peace and Love,
Stephen

Bro. Parrish 11-19-2008 03:48 PM

Biblestudent,
over the years I have found that the definitions and wording regarding abortion can sometimes be misleading and varied... for example, on eMedicine, therapeutic abortion is defined as the termination of pregnancy before fetal viability in order to "preserve maternal health," followed by 5 possible situations. But as we have seen, the "health of the mother" can mean different things to different people... what is the exact situation you are describing?

JaeByrd 11-19-2008 04:06 PM

The term can be used for anything from an abortion needed for an ectopic or other medical situations where the lives of both are certain be lost if action is not taken.

Or in a the case of a missed miscarriage where the baby already died and the body does not naturally abort it. Which in some cases can grow into a rare form of cancer if left.

To physical/medical stress that a doctor believes the pregnancy may or may not put on the mother's body or other baby/babies in a multiple pregnancy. (including a twin in some cases/doctors) Or how a baby may or may not be formed or how long s/he will live once born.

To "mental stress" for whatever reasons they medically wish it to cover.

Gord 11-19-2008 06:59 PM

How many ways do we have to accept different words for 'murder' ??

Vendetta Ride 11-19-2008 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaeByrd (Post 12030)
The term can be used for anything from an abortion needed for an ectopic or other medical situations where the lives of both are certain be lost if action is not taken.

Or in a the case of a missed miscarriage where the baby already died and the body does not naturally abort it. Which in some cases can grow into a rare form of cancer if left.

Yes, Byrd, but if the baby has already died, it's not literally an abortion: it's just a removal of the little corpse. Nothing wrong with that.

I firmly believe that 99.9% of "therapeutic abortions" are simply done for the sake of convenience. The only time abortion is justified is when carrying or delivering the baby would literally kill the mother - - - and such cases are exceedingly rare.

JaeByrd 11-19-2008 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vendetta Ride (Post 12039)
Yes, Byrd, but if the baby has already died, it's not literally an abortion: it's just a removal of the little corpse. Nothing wrong with that.

I firmly believe that 99.9% of "therapeutic abortions" are simply done for the sake of convenience. The only time abortion is justified is when carrying or delivering the baby would literally kill the mother - - - and such cases are exceedingly rare.

Jae or JB is good for short. True. Most are an after the fact form of birth control.

I was just listing what falls under the term of a doctor prescribed "therapeutic abortion". It does range from a non-issue, life threatening self-defense, possible life threatening, and out right "just don't feel like it or it isn't the sex I wanted" scenarios.

Asking what a group thinks of it would require defining what he is asking. In my re writing and removing superfluous information I removed my first sentence that asked that. oops.

Biblestudent 11-20-2008 06:54 AM

Hello, everybody! Sorry for the delayed response. (We've got a lot of brownouts here recently.)

The question has to do with killing the baby when pregnancy endangers the mother's life.

Vendetta Ride 11-20-2008 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaeByrd (Post 12045)
Jae or JB is good for short.

Excuse me, Jae. No disrespect intended. I've just always wanted to be able to call a lady "Byrd," in honor of one of my old favorites:

http://www.historyplace.com/specials...ix/johnson.jpg

Actually, my brother-in-law went to school, in Mississippi, with a kid named Hugo Byrd III. They called him "The Third Bird."

:D

aussiemama 11-21-2008 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vendetta Ride (Post 12039)
The only time abortion is justified is when carrying or delivering the baby would literally kill the mother - - - and such cases are exceedingly rare.

So it is ok to kill someone if someone is supposedly going to die anyway? Murder is still murder. Why don't we just trust God in these rare situations rather than murder the baby?