AV1611 Bible Forum Archive

AV1611 Bible Forum Archive (https://av1611.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bible Studies (https://av1611.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Side by Side (https://av1611.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29)

Paladin54 02-05-2008 10:03 PM

Side by Side

They lie on the table side by side
The Holy Bible and the TV Guide.
One is well worn and cherished with pride--
Not the Bible, but the TV Guide.
One is used daily to help folks decide.
No, not the Bible, but the TV Guide.
As the pages are turned, what shall they see?
Oh, what does it matter, turn on the TV.
So they open the book in which they confide.
No, not the Bible, but the TV Guide.
The Word of God is seldom read.
Maybe a verse before they fall into bed.
Exhausted and sleepy and tired as can be.
Not from reading the Bible, from watching TV
So then back to the table side by side,
Lie the Holy Bible and the TV Guide.
No time for prayer, no time for the Word,
The plan of Salvation is seldom heard.
But forgiveness of sin, so full and free,
Is found in the Bible, not on TV.

-Author Unknown

Bible thumper 02-06-2008 09:49 AM

Sad but too often true. Thanks for that.

DarlovesJesus 02-09-2008 07:35 AM

We have not watched T.V. for many years. We have a T.V. in the house but no cable hook up or antenna. I use my T.V. for 'clean' Christian or family movies only ~ dvd's.

We were accused once by a denominational group that we were abusing our two boys because we would not let them watch T.V. God put it on our hearts not to watch T.V. The Bible states that if you are 'watching it', you are 'doing it' in your heart. Not this family!

I believe that if you are a true follower of Christ then you won't want to watch T.V. or go to movie theaters. God won't let you. Where do you find the time to study your Bible if you are so wrapped up in T.V. anyway? I couldn't even tell you who the current 'movie stars' or 'T.V. stars' are today. Who cares? Not me.

One person stated to me "well....God hasn't told me not to watch T.V."!!!. Does God have to tell you not to jump off a tall building?

jerry 02-09-2008 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarlovesJesus (Post 336)
I believe that if you are a true follower of Christ then you won't want to watch T.V. or go to movie theaters. God won't let you.

This is not completely true. Christians do many wrong things - the CLOSER we are to the Lord, the less we will want to watch junk - but true Christians can compromise, be carnal, backslide, take their eyes off of the Lord. It is easy to get temporarily lukewarm or cool in the things of God - and at a time like that, allow some wrong movie, book, or music into our lives, and one thing leads to another. The more you compromise with entertainment, the easier it is to compromise further.

I wish we were all sinless and never made wrong, sinful choices - but the fact is, we all have. Though we can take steps to maintain our walks with the Lord and ensure that our misteps are only temporary and not ongoing.

DarlovesJesus 02-10-2008 08:40 AM

Hello Jerry;

I understand what you are saying, however my statement may not be completely true for you. It is completely true for us! We have been told by God not to watch the garbage that is on T.V. Shall I sin and go against God? God forbid!!!

We DO NOT have access to T.V. for the same reasons you mention: compromise, backsliding, carnal, etc.... If you have it in your house chances are you are going to watch it, surfing the channels. Some people are so very strong in the Lord they don't want to watch T.V., but a lot of Christians are not strong enough to just say 'no'. I do not miss anything about the trashy garbage that is on T.V. today.

A good example is a friend that proclaims to be a Christian lent me a vhs and I specifically asked her if there where any cursing or nude scenes in the movie. You know, the things we are not to be seeing or the things our ears are not to hear. She said absolutely not. The first few minutes of the movie the star was taking the name of our Holy God in vane. Out popped the video and I took it out of my house. Maybe you don't live as strict as we do, but that is how we choose to live as God states in His Word.

I don't know you, nor do I want to offend you, but it almost sounds like you are making excuses for Christians to live as they please. There is NO compromise!!! You either live for Christ or you do not. Yes, we all sin, but as we strive to become more like Jesus, He takes away those desires of worldliness. Don't forget...the whole purpose of this walk is to become just like Jesus Christ. Again, I will say, if you profess to be a Christian, then you will NOT WANT to watch T.V. or anything that would offend our Lord. Would Jesus watch T.V.? NO!!! We should not want to defile our temple with trash! This is the way we choose to live and I believe I am correct in saying ~ this is how God wants all of us to live.

God bless you.
Love in Christ, DarlovesJesus

jerry 02-10-2008 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarlovesJesus (Post 397)
I understand what you are saying, however my statement may not be completely true for you. It is completely true for us! We have been told by God not to watch the garbage that is on T.V. Shall I sin and go against God? God forbid!!!

I didn't say God wouldn't tell a believer not to watch garbage, however, this is the statement you made:

Quote:

I believe that if you are a true follower of Christ then you won't want to watch T.V. or go to movie theaters. God won't let you.
God does not physically stop a believer from watching TV. Christians can and do sin and compromise. So your statement is not true as a general rule.

I am glad the Lord has convicted you about the TV and that you are heeding His guidance - but your statement sounded like a true Christian would never or could never compromise in that manner, which is not true.

Quote:

Maybe you don't live as strict as we do, but that is how we choose to live as God states in His Word.
I believe in strict Biblical standards. Yes, there are times I have compromised and watched things that turned out to be less than pure (no, I do not watch TV as a general rule; however, I have watched some things I regret. Does that mean I am not a Christian, or my salvation is in doubt? No - but it means that I could have faced God's chastisement if I did not repent and make that area right.

Quote:

I don't know you, nor do I want to offend you, but it almost sounds like you are making excuses for Christians to live as they please. There is NO compromise!!! You either live for Christ or you do not. Yes, we all sin, but as we strive to become more like Jesus, He takes away those desires of worldliness. Don't forget...the whole purpose of this walk is to become just like Jesus Christ. Again, I will say, if you profess to be a Christian, then you will NOT WANT to watch T.V. or anything that would offend our Lord. Would Jesus watch T.V.? NO!!! We should not want to defile our temple with trash! This is the way we choose to live and I believe I am correct in saying ~ this is how God wants all of us to live.
I agree that believers should desire to and strive to live holy - but you are not Biblical if you are trying to teach no believers will compromise, backslide, or sin. All believers still have a sin nature until we are glorified in Heaven - and even the BEST of believers still sin every day:

1 John 1:8-10 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

1 John 2:1-2 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

Ecclesiastes 7:20 For there is not a just (ie. saved) man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.

No, I am not excusing sin - but none of us have arrived yet. If you think you have, you are fooling yourself.

I do believe in striving against sin - and the times that I have not, I admit they are sin and repent of it.

ok.book.guy 02-10-2008 01:38 PM

I'm right there with you! So was Brother Lester Roloff. Actually there are quite a number of comitted chritians who take this path to blessing and obedience. I ran into a christian at work who told me the same thing. As for me and my house, we only use our TV as a monitor for the very few good videos out there. I've got reformation videos, KJV videos, and there are some good "family" videos out there. Usually these are 40 or 50 years ago and have been released on DVD.

DarlovesJesus 02-12-2008 10:43 AM

Greetings in Christ Jerry;

Thank you for the scriptures Jerry.

May I ask you Jerry, are you a nit-picker of words on this forum?

I am not a Bible scholar, nor am I a theologin, nor am I a dictionary, nor am I a perfect person. You make me out to be a self righteous, non-sinning person. You did not come out directly and say that, but God told my spirit that is what you are saying. No, I am not a self righteous person. I can and do type things incorrectly by saying the wrong words~we are not perfect! You have taken my meaning wrong.

I am a woman of God and I live according to His Word, the Bible. I make no excuses for my strict walk. I do not compromise the Word of God. I live it, I breath it, I take heed to the warnings God gives us in His Word. I am not perfected yet, but I am on my way. I am not a Sunday 'only' Christian. I take the Bible VERY SERIOUSLY every day of my life! I take God's Word for what it means. I am not wishy-washy, I am not lukewarm and I don't straddle the fence. I do not live according to 'man's' word ~ I live according to God's Word!!! I am on my knees with tears rolling down my face because of the sin that corrupts this world~my heart aches for the unsaved.

I am not trying to teach anyone anything~not this gal. I am not a teacher. I am just sharing what is on my heart, and God certainly has a lot to do with what I share with others. God knows my heart. You do not.

Revelation 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. A lukewarm church or a lukewarm self professed Christian is one that compromises with the world and resembles its surrounding society; it professes Christ, yet in reality does not know Him and is in a spiritually wretched state. Christ severly warns the church about His judgment against spiritual lukewarmness.

No, God does not stop a Christian physically from doing or not doing anything....you have the choice. However, God can nudge your spirit and if you don't listen, He won't be very happy. I still hold firm that if a person calls himself a Christian, he had better be walking like Christ. That's all I have to say about that. Too many people play games with this walk~I am not one of them. I am a sinner, but you'd better believe that the instant I realize that I have sinned or said something wrong ~ I repent immediately. No questions asked!

Matthew 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction and many there be which go in thereat: 14: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Notice that God is giving us only two choices: life or death. There are also two kinds of people: one kind of Christian comes in at the strait and narrow and walks the life of Jesus. The other plays church....walking in the broadway ~ no limitations and no restrictions. Walk on in and have a good time.

Once we enter into that gate we are not done, we are not in Heaven yet. We still have a narrow way to walk. Don't think that because we've entered in we can do as we please. Jesus said there is a narrow way to walk and few find it. Few! Not many!

Easy believism rejects that perseverance is necessary. Perseverance is very necessary!

The problem with the church's today is that so many of the so called men of God are not teaching the truth. Not teaching how to get out of the sin business and how to stay out of the sin business!!! They water down the Word so that it makes Christianity look like an easy game. Not so. This is not a game and it is not easy to live like Christ.

People need to open their Bibles and learn for themselves what the Word of God is all about. If we don't read it, how can we truly know how to live as Christ? We can't.

So Jerry I am not fooling myself. I know the Bible and I know the scriptures that you have quoted me. I live them! .....As for me and my house we will serve the Lord.......100 percent wholeheartedly. No compromise! Sorry if that offends you, but in truth God's Word offends a lot of people.

Like the article 'Side by Side' states that brought us to this conversation: ......But forgiveness of sin, so full and free....Is found in the Bible, not on T.V.

God loves you and so do I,
DarlovesJesus

DarlovesJesus 02-12-2008 11:01 AM

Blessings Ok.Book.Guy;

Thank you for your uplifting words. It soothes my soul. I thank you for understanding where I am coming from~I am a committed Christian and I love it!

I don't know anything about Lester Roloff, but I am going to do some homework. Sounds like a good study.

There truly is not a whole lot of good clean things to watch these days. We, like you, are limited on selections of DVD's of copied vintage programs.

God bless you and your famiily;
DarlovesJesus

timothy 02-12-2008 12:50 PM

I applaud Darlove's efforts and admire her for it. Hellivision is a pesky addiction best to avoid at all costs. I remember traveling to Alaska and I didn't see tv from the timeI got off the plane until i got back on the plane to come back home. I didn't have time to think about tv for ten days but after a few days there was just this peace, wasn't really worried or anxious about anything... So I would like to get back to that sometime...

But when it ther it's just like, "ok what's on?" I try to keep it limited to sports events the best that I can tho.. so Darlove, keep it up...

jerry 02-12-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarlovesJesus (Post 428)
You make me out to be a self righteous, non-sinning person. You did not come out directly and say that, but God told my spirit that is what you are saying.

I can guarantee it wasn't God telling you that - I neither implied that NOR thought it about you. My comments were correcting what I believed you were saying.

Quote:

No, God does not stop a Christian physically from doing or not doing anything....you have the choice. However, God can nudge your spirit and if you don't listen, He won't be very happy.
Right - if a Christian walks in unrepentant sin then he or she will be chastised by God. The fact that God DOES chastise ALL His children at one point or another shows that we still sin, and at times get carnal or backslide - which both Testaments teach CAN happen to believers.

No, I am not promoting lukewarmness, or compromise, or backsliding - but I am attempting to be Scriptural. The Bible teaches believers can and do sin - even backslide - so to expect that no true Christian will ever be carnal or backslide is not Biblical.

Quote:

So Jerry I am not fooling myself. I know the Bible and I know the scriptures that you have quoted me. I live them! .....As for me and my house we will serve the Lord.......100 percent wholeheartedly. No compromise! Sorry if that offends you, but in truth God's Word offends a lot of people.
Who said I was offended? But I know you or I or any other believer is not sinless - so there is no such thing as serving the Lord %100 all the time without ever compromising. Ecclesiastes 7:20 is still in the Bible.

We should strive against sin, strive to be separated and holy in our living - and make it right when we do sin; however, we should never get to where we think we or anyone else has arrived. The moment we think that, that is when we show we are still sinners because pride is there.

DarlovesJesus 02-13-2008 08:07 AM

Thank you Timothy. I have to say that it truly was not easy to give up Hellivision. I sort of went through withdrawals. It has been so worth it though!!! It has has been almost five years now since we stopped watching T.V. It truly was a sacrifice for my Lord! The Lord has rewarded me with peace of mind. I don't worry about seeing something God forbids us to watch. (Watching something that is evil is the same thing as partaking in that sin). I thank you Brother for your kind comments.

God bless you,
DarlovesJesus

DarlovesJesus 02-13-2008 11:41 AM

Greetings Jerry;

? You are telling me that you can guarantee it wasn't God I was hearing from in my spirit? Wow!!! I would never make that judgment call.

Dear sir, you are not God and you need to stop acting like you are. You do not know everything. (your words: My comments were correcting what I believed you were saying)........you cannot go around correcting what you "believe people are saying" all the time, because you are not always right. For instance you are still insisting, by your own admission, (your words: so to expect that no true Christian will ever be carnal or backslide is not Biblical)..... I never said it was not Biblical.

However, Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

In character: in this life we cannot be flawless, but we can aspire to be as much like Christ as possible. In holiness: we are to separate ourselves from the world's sinful values. We are to be devouted to God's desires rather than our own, and carry his love and mercy into the world. In maturity: we can't achieve Chritlike charater and holy living all at once, but we MUST grow toward maturity and wholeness. In love: we can seek to love others as completely as God loves us.

We can be perfect if our behavior is appropriate for our maturity level~perfect, yet with much room to grow. Our tendency to sin must never deter us from striving to be more like Christ. Christ calls all of his disciples to excel, to rise above mediocrity, and to mature in every area, becoming like him. Those who strive to become perfect will one day be perfect, even as Christ is perfect (1 John 3:2, 3)

1 John 3:2, 3 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 3: And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

The Christian life is a process of becoming more and more like Christ (Romans 8:29). This process will not be complete until we see Christ face to face (1 Corinthians 13:12; Philippians 3:21), but knowing that it is our ultimate destiny should motivate us to purify ourselves. To purify means to keep morally straight, free from the corruption of sin. God also purifies us, but there is action we must take to remain morally fit (1 Timothy 5:22; James 4:8; 1 Peter 1:22).

God's ultimate goal for us is to make us like Christ (1 John 3:2). How can we be conformed to Christ's likeness? By reading and heeding the Word, by studying his life on earth through the Gospels, by being filled with his spirit, and by doing his work in the world.

James 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. (double minded: undecided).

How can we purify our hearts when we are watching trash on T.V.? We cannot!

How can we come near to God? James gives five ways:

1. Submit to God (4:7). Yield to his authority and will , commit your life to him and his control, and be willing to follow him.
2. Resist the devil (4:7). Don't allow Satan to entice and tempt you.
3. Wash your hands...and purify your hearts (that is, lead a pure life) (4:8). Be cleansed from sin, replacing your desire to sin with your desire to experience God's purity.
4. Grieve and mourn and wail in sincere sorrow for your sins (4:9). Don't be afraid to express deep heartfelt sorrow for what you have done. 5. Humble yourself before the Lord, and he will lift you up (4:10; 1 Peter 5:6).

If one wants to know the rules for holy living, rules for Christian households and further instruction.... Colossians 3 and 4 is all about what Christians should do. I recommend it highly! 3:6 states that because of the earthly nature (and it lists those sins), the wrath of God is coming on the children of disobedience! Eeek! That makes me want to perfect my walk with the Lord!

1 Thessalonians 4:7 For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness. HOLINESS. Did we read that? HOLINESS. This is talking about abstaining from fornication. God requires all believers to live by the high standards of purity and sanctification with regard to sexual matters.

Romans 6:6 For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin. 7: because anyone who has died has been freed from sin. (died: spiritual death).

The power and penalty of sin died with Christ on the cross. Our "old self," our sinful nature, died once and for all, so we are freed from its power. The "body of sin" is not the human body, but our rebellious sin-loving nature inherited from Adam. Though our body willingly cooperates with our sinful nature, we must not regard the body as evil. It is the sin in us that is evil. And it is this power of sin at work in our body that is defeated. Paul has already stated that through faith in Christ we stand acquitted, "not guilty" before God. Here Paul emphasizes that we need no longer live under sin's power. God does not take us out of the world or make us robots~we will still feel like sinning, and sometimes we will sin. The difference is that before we were saved we were slaves to our sinful nature, but now we can choose to live for Christ (Galatians 2:20).

The Biblical/Scriptural list goes on for showing us how to live pure. I could type all day and tomorrow and never get every single scripture on this page. You are very knowledgable about the Bible Jerry, no doubt because you study it well. Praise God!

James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. Do what the Word says and we will be blessed. It is important to listen to what God's Word says, but it is much more important to obey it, to do what it says. We can measure the effectiveness of our Bible study time by the effect it has on our behavior and attitudes. Do you put into action what you have studied? (I don't mean you in particular, as a whole).

Jerry, I think we are on the same page, you misunderstand me, that's all. We must use every tool God gives us to perfect this walk. We need to stop nit-picking and critisicing other's~not all of us are perfect. We are to uplift our Brothers and Sisters in Christ, not tear them down.

Neither you, nor I, should become overly righteous or wise in our own eyes! Yes, that is pride!

All of us must be very careful not to backslide, because backsliding can send one right to hell. Backsliding starts with one small sin.

The essence of sin is selfishness; the essence of God's way of life is selflessness. We must seek Christ's help to live God's way.

(some notes taken from my Bible).

God bless you,
DarlovesJesus

jerry 02-13-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

You are telling me that you can guarantee it wasn't God I was hearing from in my spirit? Wow!!! I would never make that judgment call.

Dear sir, you are not God and you need to stop acting like you are. You do not know everything. (your words: My comments were correcting what I believed you were saying)........you cannot go around correcting what you "believe people are saying" all the time, because you are not always right.
You are funny - you make some accusations against me that God supposedly told you, then I stated that I never thought or implied that - and it is somehow wrong for me to question what you are saying about me? It's okay for you to "correct" me - but I can't correct your false accusations.

Quote:

How can we purify our hearts when we are watching trash on T.V.? We cannot!
I never said you could - I never even defended TV in any way in this thread. What I did state was basically that watching TV does not make someone a true Christian or not (and is no indication of such). Though, yes, our separating from evil on TV and movies is an indication of our obedience and love for the Lord.

Quote:

All of us must be very careful not to backslide, because backsliding can send one right to hell.
No, it cannot. If someone is a true believer, they have eternal life and can never lose it or ever be in danger of losing it. What will happen if they persist in unrepentant sin is that they will face the chastening hand of God on their lives - but again, that is evidence that they are His child, because God doesn't chastise or correct the Devil's children.

Matthew 5:43-48 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so? Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

The word "perfect" in the Bible means "complete." When referring to a person, it means "mature." We are to grow up (mature spiritually) and be like the Lord in the respect that we become more like Him and love our enemies. It has nothing to do with sinlessness or having arrived as a Christian.

Philippians 3:13-16 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you. Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.

DarlovesJesus 02-14-2008 07:14 AM

Now I understand~you are a 'once saved, always saved" Christian. Gotcha.

If one is truely saved, I'm with you. In reality though, there are way too many people that call themselves Christians, when in fact they are not. That grieves me. Just because they are nice they think they are guaranteed a place in Heaven. Being nice does not get you into Heaven. If you don't agree with that then there is something wrong.

I disagree with you on your belief of eternal life~eternal security. There a very many verses in the Bible that state you can loose your salvation. Sorry, but I don't agree with you on that issue.

You are funny too! Not everything I have said is personally about you. You shouldn't take everything so personal.

We are to live according to the Bible~no exceptions. If we choose not to follow God's Word in obedience~then we are not children of God but children of Satan. That is scriptural!

God bless you.
DarlovesJesus

Diligent 02-14-2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarlovesJesus (Post 496)
Now I understand~you are a 'once saved, always saved" Christian. Gotcha.

I sure am. If I can't earn it, I sure can't keep it! I'll let the Lord take care of my salvation. It's his work.

timothy 02-20-2008 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarlovesJesus (Post 496)
I disagree with you on your belief of eternal life~eternal security. There a very many verses in the Bible that state you can loose your salvation. Sorry, but I don't agree with you on that issue.

What verses are they? I got this verse that tells me something else...

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of
yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Not of works, lest any man should boast."

-Ephesians 2:8-9