AV1611 Bible Forum Archive

AV1611 Bible Forum Archive (https://av1611.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bible Versions (https://av1611.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Did the LXX exist before the NT? (https://av1611.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219)

Brother Tim 05-01-2008 09:05 AM

Did the LXX exist before the NT?

I am starting this thread in response to a suggestion by Steven Avery to review some of the teachings of Dr. Peter Ruckman [not as a means of personal attack or support of him] from a Biblical prospective.

One topic that is of interest to many is whether or not the Septuagint (LXX) existed B.C. and whether or not it was used by the NT writers as a reference; or conversely, is it a figment of the mind based on the work of early century heretics?

Sam Gipp questions its existence, so I suppose that Dr. Ruckman does also (not having read his teachings on this specifically). Matthew Verschuur supports its existence (right, Matthew?). What are the facts?

MDOC 05-01-2008 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother Tim (Post 3874)
I am starting this thread in response to a suggestion by Steven Avery to review some of the teachings of Dr. Peter Ruckman [not as a means of personal attack or support of him] from a Biblical prospective.

One topic that is of interest to many is whether or not the Septuagint (LXX) existed B.C. and whether or not it was used by the NT writers as a reference; or conversely, is it a figment of the mind based on the work of early century heretics?

Sam Gipp questions its existence, so I suppose that Dr. Ruckman does also (not having read his teachings on this specifically). Matthew Verschuur supports its existence (right, Matthew?). What are the facts?

No, the LXX is a myth, says Ruckman. There is a chapter dedicated to "The Mythological LXX" in Ruckman's The Christian's Handbook of Manuscript Evidence. (I am not a Ruckmanite.)

jerry 05-01-2008 09:53 AM

I am not addressing Ruckman's comments here - but from what I have read regarding the Septuagint, ALL that existed prior to Christ was the Pentateuch translated into Greek. The first actual account and copies of all the OT in Greek were done by Origen (there were no copies of the OT in Greek found that existed prior to this time).

Alfred Edersheim (a 19th century messianic Jewish scholar) makes mention of this, and quotes or refers to Josephus to back up his statements. Edersheim's book that he makes this comment is The Life And Times Of Jesus The Messiah. If you have the book in electronic format or part of a Bible program, you can search it for "Pentateuch" and find his comments. In other words, it is not a 20th century philosophy or invention that the whole Septuagint did not exist prior to the time of Christ.

MDOC 05-01-2008 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry (Post 3881)
I am not addressing Ruckman's comments here - but from what I have read regarding the Septuagint, ALL that existed prior to Christ was the Pentateuch translated into Greek. The first actual account and copies of all the OT in Greek were done by Origen (there were no copies of the OT in Greek found that existed prior to this time).

That's right, and Origen lived after the Ascension of Christ.
Quote:

Alfred Edersheim (a 19th century messianic Jewish scholar) makes mention of this, and quotes or refers to Josephus to back up his statements. Edersheim's book that he makes this comment is The Life And Times Of Jesus The Messiah.
I have this book. The subject on LXX is on pg 23 to 30.
Quote:

If you have the book in electronic format or part of a Bible program, you can search it for "Pentateuch" and find his comments. In other words, it is not a 20th century philosophy or invention that the whole Septuagint did not exist prior to the time of Christ.
In other words, it is a 20th century invention that the LXX, partially or wholly, existed prior to Christ.

Connie 05-01-2008 10:30 AM

Wow, I've believed for years that the Septuagint was a translation of the Hebrew scriptures into Greek done by Jewish scholars during about three hundred years up to the time of Christ. I had no idea anybody disputed this. As I've understood it, it began with the Torah or Pentateuch about 300 BC or so, and then other books were added over the next few centuries -- not all perhaps, but most or something like that. I also understood that the way the New Testament phrases its references to the Old Testament shows that it was based on the Septuagint Greek translation.

I can't see why on earth anyone would doubt that such a translation existed. It was clearly needed by the Jews who were scattered throughout the Hellenic world of the time, and that's why it was ordered to be done.

I hope you all will be supplying evidence one way or the other instead of just assertions that this or that person believes this or that about it.

Diligent 05-01-2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connie (Post 3883)
I can't see why on earth anyone would doubt that such a translation existed.

Whether or not it existed is less important than whether or not any of the LXX was actually used by Christ or the authors of the NT. Modernists interested in pressing the case that corrupt translations are "a-okay" try to convince people that the NT itslef contains quotations from the LXX. It does not -- where the LXX agrees with the NT it is simply because the LXX got it right.

Quote:

It was clearly needed by the Jews
Says who? It was needed by academics of the day. The Jews would not have trusted their texts to the scholars that produced the LXX.

I suggest you read Chapter 6 of Crowned With Glory which addresses the LXX question. Here are some quotes:
For years it had been thought that the Bible Christ used was the Greek Septuagint (also known as the LXX). The common thought was that the Jews at the time of Christ had all but lost their use of Hebrew since the international language of that day was Greek. However, with the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls (which will be discussed in greater detail in the following chapter), it has been established that the Jews did not lose their use of Hebrew. In fact, most of their writings (both sacred and otherwise) were written in Hebrew.

Alan Millard, Professor of Hebrew and Ancient Semitic Languages at the University of Liverpool, England, observed that for years scholars believed that Hebrew was limited to religious usage during the time of Christ. But from the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls and books written in common Hebrew among them, it can now be established that a form of Hebrew, like the Hebrew used in the Old Testament yet distinct in form, was in use during the time of Christ and the apostles.

Brother Tim 05-01-2008 11:23 AM

My thoughts at this point, being simply musing based on some information that I have read:

The story of the LXX (the seventy) seems very fanciful on its surface. The idea that someone could gather 6 scholars from each tribe, long after 10 of the tribes were totally scattered to every nation, seems to me to be impossible. The claim that it was produced in 72 days by 72 individuals whose separate translations were identical (without collaboration) is impossible outside the direct control of the Holy Spirit. If that were the case, then there would not be the significant errors and omissions present. These arguments against its origin weaken its validity as Scripture.

Connie 05-01-2008 11:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connie
I can't see why on earth anyone would doubt that such a translation existed.
Whether or not it existed is less important than whether or not any of the LXX was actually used by Christ or the authors of the NT. Modernists interested in pressing the case that corrupt translations are "a-okay" try to convince people that the NT itslef contains quotations from the LXX. It does not -- where the LXX agrees with the NT it is simply because the LXX got it right.
So the idea is that the LXX was corrupt? I haven't heard the argument in favor of the modern translations based on this myself, but I'll take your word for it and read up more on it.

Quote:

Quote:

It was clearly needed by the Jews
Says who? It was needed by academics of the day. The Jews would not have trusted their texts to the scholars that produced the LXX.
Well, I know the Jews didn't and still don't like the idea of having their Hebrew scriptures translated into Greek, and I know it was forced upon them by the Greek authorities, but I also understood that it was highly qualified Jews who did the translation and that it was well done, at least the Pentateuch.

Quote:

I suggest you read Chapter 6 of Crowned With Glory which addresses the LXX question. Here are some quotes:

Quote:

For years it had been thought that the Bible Christ used was the Greek Septuagint (also known as the LXX). The common thought was that the Jews at the time of Christ had all but lost their use of Hebrew since the international language of that day was Greek. However, with the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls (which will be discussed in greater detail in the following chapter), it has been established that the Jews did not lose their use of Hebrew. In fact, most of their writings (both sacred and otherwise) were written in Hebrew.

Alan Millard, Professor of Hebrew and Ancient Semitic Languages at the University of Liverpool, England, observed that for years scholars believed that Hebrew was limited to religious usage during the time of Christ. But from the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls and books written in common Hebrew among them, it can now be established that a form of Hebrew, like the Hebrew used in the Old Testament yet distinct in form, was in use during the time of Christ and the apostles
Yes, I knew they also had the Hebrew and it was used in the temple, that Paul had studied Hebrew as the Pharisees did, and so on. But that doesn't mean that a Greek version of the OT wasn't also in common usage.

However, apparently there's a lot more to learn here, so carry on. I'm probably not going to get to do much research on my own for a while so I hope this thread is chock full of facts and evidence.

Brother Tim 05-01-2008 11:49 AM

The second thought that I have had as I mused:

I do not have the data at hand to answer the following, so it is mere speculation at this point.

How many OT quotes are made in the NT?
What percentage of those have exact or very close resemblance to the LXX?
Are there any writers who quote OT passages (of reasonable statistical number) whose quotes also predominately align with the LXX, indicating that this writer had access to a copy for reference?

My guess is that the overall percentage is low, and that no particular writer showed an affinity to the supposed LXX.

Whether or not there were Greek translations of parts (the Law as an example) of the OT is not the question. The claim is that the LXX existed and was in wide-spread use during the first century AD. This would have been difficult considering the logistics of distribution of many hand-written copies, which non-rulers like certain Galilean fishermen would likely be unable to obtain for personal use (unless the library at Alexandria had a web site for easy access.)

MDOC 05-01-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother Tim (Post 3885)
My thoughts at this point, being simply musing based on some information that I have read:

The story of the LXX (the seventy) seems very fanciful on its surface. The idea that someone could gather 6 scholars from each tribe, long after 10 of the tribes were totally scattered to every nation, seems to me to be impossible. The claim that it was produced in 72 days by 72 individuals whose separate translations were identical (without collaboration) is impossible outside the direct control of the Holy Spirit. If that were the case, then there would not be the significant errors and omissions present. These arguments against its origin weaken its validity as Scripture.

That's not all. Acording to Origen, there were seventy-two translators from twelve tribes, thus violating the OT instructions pertaining to the OT upkeep: the tribe of Levi alone was to be the custodian of the Scriptures (Mal 2:4-7; Ezra 7:12; Deut. 17:18; 31:25; 33:10).

Brother Tim 05-01-2008 12:19 PM

Connie, you may not take these statements as facts, for indeed they are not. However, they are at least evidence from a logical prospective. The one piece of evidence that is a fact is what is available today. We have a copy that dates no earlier than 250+ years after the completion of the NT. That copy is clearly riddled with error when compared to the Hebrew OT.

jerry 05-01-2008 12:58 PM

Even the Pentateuch in the Septuagint contains additions and corruptions. The genealogies contain extra names AND changes in the ages of the patriarchs when they had their children.

Connie 05-01-2008 01:01 PM

Quote:

Connie, you may not take these statements as facts, for indeed they are not. However, they are at least evidence from a logical prospective. The one piece of evidence that is a fact is what is available today. We have a copy that dates no earlier than 250+ years after the completion of the NT. That copy is clearly riddled with error when compared to the Hebrew OT.
OK, I'm listening. I'm interested in this subject now, though I won't have much time for it for a while.

But I have to add that having a surviving copy from a particular year really doesn't mean much about when the original was created, OR when the errors entered into it.

jerry 05-01-2008 01:08 PM

No - but if there are ABSOLUTELY NO copies of the Septuagint (except for the Pentateuch) in existance that were prior to Origen (or even records of the whole OT in Greek prior to Origen), then there is no reason to believe that there ever was one translated before the NT era.

Connie 05-01-2008 01:30 PM

Quote:

No - but if there are ABSOLUTELY NO copies of the Septuagint (except for the Pentateuch) in existance that were prior to Origen (or even records of the whole OT in Greek prior to Origen), then there is no reason to believe that there ever was one translated before the NT era.
I thought Brother Tim was saying that the copy from around 250 years after the completion of the NT was the earliest in existence. Are you saying that there are surviving copies of the Pentateuch that are earlier?

But unless I'm seriously misreading you, your logic is very flawed in any case. Manuscripts simply did not survive long (they still don't), the materials would wear away and finally disintegrate. The only copies of any early writing that we have just happened to be preserved for one reason or another against the ravages of time. The Dead Sea Scrolls survived so well because they were preserved in jars in caves. Otherwise we have no reason to expect that anything from before the NT era would have survived.

We have ABSOLUTELY NO copies of the New Testament earlier than the Alexandrian texts on which the new versions are based -- I've heard both 2nd century and 3rd century for those -- but we certainly assume those were preceded by not only the originals but many hundreds of copies of them, and that the only copies we have of any of the Greek texts are simply some that happened to survive.

So why would you assume that there was no Septuagint in existence before the few copies that happen to have survived?

Sounds to me like Origen simply happened to be the one who wrote about the Septuagint. Certainly doesn't mean it originated with him or in his time.

Debau 05-01-2008 04:05 PM

My limited understanding of the Septuagint is that it is a multi headed monster. Generally speaking, it is referring to an OT translation originating from Alexandria Egypt, supposedly created by 72 scribes of Israel. There does seem to be fragmentary evidence of B.C. Greek translations of the OT. The 5th column of Origen's Hexapla is supposedly a revision of an older (B.C.) Greek translation referred to by textual critics today as the LXX / Septuagint, though there are "several" literary documents referred to as the Septuagint. The LXX has inaccuracies in the ages of the Kings of Israel and Judah, and adds 2000 years to the geneaologies in Genesis. What is at stake here is concept, or words that are inspired. If the Septuagint, with it's glaring inaccuracies and differences from the Masoretic text can be called the word of God, so can all the other perversions. I have not read it, but Floyd Nolan Jones has written an exhaustive critique of the Septuagint. He says it is found to be the two manuscripts Vaticanus and Sinaiticus, and especially true of Vaticanus B. I believe the history of it, its myth, Alexandrian source, and piecemeal construction make it a useful commentary at best.

jerry 05-01-2008 05:57 PM

There are no extant copies prior to that time - NOR any written record from any source prior to that time referring to a pre-Christian Septuagint. Surely, if there was any OT in Greek before Christ, someone would have referred to it or quoted it - yet there is no record of it until Origen - several hundred years afterwards, in a book he put together of various OT translations. Origen attirbutes it to pre-Christian scholars, yet there is only this heretic's and Bible corrector's own words for it - not any outside proof.

Connie 05-01-2008 06:25 PM

I just took a brief glance at some Wikipedia entries and find it treated as historical fact that the Septuagint existed, also that Philo referred to it in the century before Christ and that Jerome used it in his translation of the Vulgate Bible. So that is more than just Origen given as source of information, Jerry.

A comparison of a verse in Genesis is given that does show an amazing divergence between the Septuagint and the Masoretic text. Obviously there's a lot of stuff going on here I'll never have the time to slog through.

Connie 05-01-2008 06:35 PM

There's more to this, Jerry, as I vaguely recalled but couldn't remember clearly. Here's one source on it:

http://www.kalvesmaki.com/LXX/
Quote:

THE SEPTUAGINT, derived from the Latin word for "seventy," can be a confusing term, since it ideally refers to the third-century BCE Greek translation of the Hebrew Scriptures, executed in Alexandria, Egypt. But the full story behind the translation and the various stages, amplifications, and modifications to the collection we now call the Septuagint is complicated.

The earliest, and best known, source for the story of the Septuagint is the Letter of Aristeas, a lengthy document that recalls how Ptolemy (Philadelphus II [285–247 BCE]), desiring to augment his library in Alexandria, Egypt, commissioned a translation of the Hebrew Scriptures into Greek. Ptolemy wrote to the chief priest, Eleazar, in Jerusalem, and arranged for six translators from each of the twelve tribes of Israel. The seventy-two (altered in a few later versions to seventy or seventy-five) translators arrived in Egypt to Ptolemy's gracious hospitality, and translated the Torah (also called the Pentateuch: the first five books of the Hebrew Scriptures) in seventy-two days. Although opinions as to when this occurred differ, 282 BCE is a commonly received date.

Philo of Alexandria (fl. 1st c CE) confirms that only the Torah was commissioned to be translated, and some modern scholars have concurred, noting a kind of consistency in the translation style of the Greek Penteteuch. Over the course of the three centuries following Ptolemy's project, however, other books of the Hebrew Scriptures were translated into Greek. It is not altogether clear which book was translated when, and in what locale. It seems that sometimes a Hebrew book was translated more than once, or that a particular Greek translation was revised. In other cases, a work was composed afresh in Greek, yet was included in subsequent collections of the Scriptures. By observing technical terms and translation styles, by comparing the Greek versions to the Dead Sea Scrolls, and by comparing them to Hellenistic literature, scholars are in the process of stitching together an elusive history of the translations that eventually found their way into collections.

By Philo's time the memory of the seventy-two translators was vibrant, an important part of Jewish life in Alexandria (Philo, Life of Moses 2.25–44). Pilgrims, both Jews and Gentiles, celebrated a yearly festival on the island where they conducted their work. The celebrity of the Septuagint and its translators remained strong in Christianity. The earliest Christian references to the translation, from the mid-second century (SS Justin Martyr and Irenaeus), credit the entire Old Testament in Greek, whether originally written in Hebrew or not, to the seventy-two. Thus Christians conflated the Septuagint with their Old Testament canon (a canon that included the so-called apocrypha). For their part, Jewish rabbis, particularly Pharisees, reacted to the Christian appropriation of the Septuagint by producing fresh translations of their Scriptures (e.g., Aquila, in 128 CE, or Symmachus in the late 2d c. CE), and discouraging the use of the Septuagint. By the second century Christian and Jewish leaders had cemented their position on the form and character of the Scriptures. By and large, Christians held to the peculiar, prophetic character of their Septuagint, and Jews rejected it.

sophronismos 05-01-2008 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDOC (Post 3888)
That's not all. Acording to Origen, there were seventy-two translators from twelve tribes, thus violating the OT instructions pertaining to the OT upkeep: the tribe of Levi alone was to be the custodian of the Scriptures (Mal 2:4-7; Ezra 7:12; Deut. 17:18; 31:25; 33:10).

That's a worthless argument since none of you, yea none of us are Levites either. Should we all just never print the Old Testament because we aren't Levites?

sophronismos 05-01-2008 07:34 PM

I think the LXX did exist BC, but that the Jews stopped using it after Christianity was established, and Origen corrupted it with his Hexapla and what we have now that we call the LXX is a copy of Origen's corruption and not representative of the BC LXX that no longer exists. Can I prove it? No, and I don't care to anyhow.

Brother Tim 05-01-2008 07:37 PM

Interesting theory! It bridges several of the issues.

MDOC 05-01-2008 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connie (Post 3903)
There's more to this, Jerry, as I vaguely recalled but couldn't remember clearly. Here's one source on it:

http://www.kalvesmaki.com/LXX/

The letter of Aristeas is a joke and a complete fabrication. It's better for all involved to just study the Word and forget about this thread. The study of lies to find the truth is not profitable. First study the truth, then you will spot the lies.

Connie 05-01-2008 07:48 PM

People make assertions right and left. The Septuagint didn't exist before Origen, the letter of Aristeas is a fabrication, Origen corrupted the text, Philo recognized it, lots of bald assertions everywhere, very few actual facts. Oh well.

MDOC 05-01-2008 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophronismos (Post 3907)
That's a worthless argument since none of you, yea none of us are Levites either. Should we all just never print the Old Testament because we aren't Levites?

That's a surprise coming from you. It's not an argument, it's a known fact from the OT days; and it has nothing to do with us. Your rebuttal is pointless.

Brother Tim 05-01-2008 07:55 PM

Connie, I don't mean to be critical, but you are asking for something that doesn't exist. As with many things about Biblically-related history, there are differing and conflicting beliefs based on who is being considered the "expert". If there was a list of simple facts, then there would be no debate on the issue to begin with. This is a perfect example of why a consensus revision of the KJB is impossible, even if it were determined to be needed. (we can't even agree with that!)

Hey, George and Steven, notice whose name is not being referenced ?

MDOC 05-01-2008 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother Tim (Post 3916)
Hey, George and Steven, notice whose name is not being referenced ?

Who? Ruckman?

sophronismos 05-01-2008 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDOC (Post 3914)
That's a surprise coming from you. It's not an argument, it's a known fact from the OT days; and it has nothing to do with us. Your rebuttal is pointless.

I meant if you are using it to argue that there could have been no LXX then it is a worthless argument. Even though I believe there was an LXX, I don't take the letter of Aristeus (however you spell that) as fact.

Biblestudent 05-01-2008 10:40 PM

In His earthly ministry, Jesus seems to reflect how the Jews thought of the uncircumision (Gentiles):
Matthew 15:26 But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.

If the LXX did exist, I don't think the Jews, the Lord Jesus Christ, and the NT writers would use a Bible in the language of "dogs". What do you think?

Furthermore, did the LXX contain the Apocrypha? Many believe the existence of LXX prior to the writing of the NT. I was able to borrow Dr. Ruckman's book in Manuscript Evidence from a Bible teacher a long time ago. If I remember right, Ruckman believes that the LXX was written by Origen in his fifth column of the hexapla.

Steven Avery 05-02-2008 10:34 AM

Josephus - Tanach (OT) Histories not in Greek - Antiquities

Hi Folks,

Thanks Tim for opening up a fascinating thread. I will only have time for a couple of quick comments at the moment. This first one is probably the most substantive in filling in the scholarship blanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry
ALL that existed prior to Christ was the Pentateuch translated into Greek. The first actual account and copies of all the OT in Greek were done by Origen (there were no copies of the OT in Greek found that existed prior to this time)... Alfred Edersheim (a 19th century messianic Jewish scholar) makes mention of this, and quotes or refers to Josephus to back up his statements.

Hi Jerry,

However, I do not see that Edersheim takes that position.

http://www.levendwater.org/books/lif...heim_book1.pdf
Ptolemy III., who reigned from 247 to 221 b.c.29 In his reign, therefore, we must regard the LXX. version as, at least substantially, completed.

If there are some quotes to share from Edersheim that back up the 'no Greek copies' and Origen positions, please share. I have not read his pages very carefully, often I find him dry, but on many topics he has a lot of good stuff, including the Greek OT issues.

However we do have a very strong indication from Josephus, apparently not mentioned by Edersheim and even neglected by more recent writers, that the Hebrew history books were not available in Greek when Josephus wrote Antiquities. From his Preface and Antiquities proper, bold added.

http://www.ccel.org/j/josephus/works/ant-pref.htm
Antiquities of the Jews -- Preface

"Now I have undertaken the present work, as thinking it will appear to all the Greeks worthy of their study; for it will contain all our antiquities, and the constitution of our government, as interpreted out of the Hebrew Scriptures. And indeed I did formerly intend, when I wrote of the war, (Jewish Wars 75AD) to explain who the Jews originally were, - what fortunes they had been subject to, - and by what legislature they had been instructed in piety, and the exercise of other virtues, - what wars also they had made in remote ages, till they were unwillingly engaged in this last with the Romans: but because this work (Antiquities 93 AD) would take up a great compass, I separated it into a set treatise by itself, with a beginning of its own, and its own conclusion; but in process of time, as usually happens to such as undertake great things, I grew weary and went on slowly, it being a large subject, and a difficult thing to translate our history into a foreign, and to us unaccustomed language."

And this section in Antiquities.

http://www.godrules.net/library/flav...viusb10c10.htm
Antiquities of the Jews 10.218

"But let no one blame me for writing down every thing of this nature, as I find it in our ancient books; for as to that matter, I have plainly assured those that think me defective in any such point, or complain of my management, and have told them in the beginning of this history, that I intended to do no more than translate the Hebrew books into the Greek language, and promised them to explain those facts, without adding any thing to them of my own, or taking any thing away from there."

Why this has been missed in most discussions in a puzzle. Josephus writes plainly, and what he writes indicates that he planned to translate the history books of the Tanach (OT) to Greek, to make those available, but he decided to write Antiquities instead. This essentially cinches the case that there was not a full Old Testament circulating in Greek even by the end of the first century.

Shalom,
Steven Avery

Steven Avery 05-02-2008 10:51 AM

does the Greek OT 'get it right' on the NT closer agreements

Hi Folks,

Brandon, you make excellent points from the scholarship of Alan Millard about Hebrew at the time of Jesus, also Ken Penner has shown rather conclusively that the translation of Hebraisti as 'Aramaic' in the modern versions is an error. The word for Aramaic would be Syriac or Chaldee, Hebraisti was .. surprise .. Hebrew.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diligent
- where the LXX agrees with the NT it is simply because the LXX got it right.

Nope. The Greek OT was smoothed in many places to match NT readings, such as the awkward Greek OT Cainan addition (I believe the Floyd Jones paper discusses that in some depth, also issues like the number 70 or 75 out of Egypt). These tamperings were not 'right', this was Bible correcting.

Before going into a lot of details, may I suggest everybody interested in this do a little study on Psalm 14 in the Greek OT (hint, also look at Romans 3) -- to get a picture of how blatant such tampering with the Greek scriptures could be.

Tim, this understanding must precede any analysis of how many NT quotes are closer to or match one text or another. The first issue is simple, if the Greek MSS from 400 AD and later are closer to the NT, is it because the NT was using the Greek (usually an orphan reading with no DSS, Vulgate, Targum, Peshitta, Targumim, Hebrew MSS, Talmud & Midrash or even early church writer support) or because the Greek OT was tampered ?

Note: the tamperings were from many sides, Jewish anti-messianic tamperings as of Aquila and incompetent alexandrian scribes (good 'ol Vaticanus) being two distinct and separate types of Greek OT shenanigans. This is a long discussion in itself, considering the editions of Theodotian and Symmachus also being examined, and the Jerome reference to recensions, including Lucian. (Yes, the Lucian recension is not a Westcott-Hort myth in the OT, only in the NT was it a modernist fabrication !).

I am not going into all the questions about why the Holy Spirit was not constrained to only reference the Tanach (OT) woodenly, literally, one-dimensionally in the NT. On this forum most of the readers will understand that easily, whether you consider it Holy Spirit insight, or Matthew's midrash, or the liberty of the Lord Jesus to combine verses - and more.

Shalom,
Steven Avery

Steven Avery 05-02-2008 11:18 AM

Floyd Jones, early Greek OT fragments

Hi Folks,

The excellent Floyd Jones article is available on the web.

http://www.frugalwater.com/LXX.pdf
http://www.christianmissionconnectio...l_Analysis.pdf
The Septuagint: A Critical Analysis

Please note that the article, while excellent, has some omissions, and a small amount of scholarship that can be questioned (as would any article). Two very significant omissions I put in the posts above - no discussion of Psalm 14, and he does not have the Josephus quotes referenced.

Quote:

Are you saying that there are surviving copies of the Pentateuch that are earlier?.

Just to clarify this, both comments were correct. There are segments, many chapters in various MSS, in the centuries before the first extant full Greek MSS. Robert Kraft has a page listing all the early Greek material.

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rs/rak/ear...lypaplist.html
Chronological List of Early Papyri and MSS for LXX/OG Study (plus the same MSS in Canonical Order appended)

Note that most, almost all, of the earlier material is from the Pentateuch.

Quote:

We have ABSOLUTELY NO copies of the New Testament earlier ... 2nd century and 3rd century ..

Actually 4th century, 350 AD to 400 AD for the earliest NT MSS.

Quote:

.. we certainly assume those were preceded by not only the originals but many hundreds of copies of them

True, but that is because we have strong collaborative evidences. The 1st century accurate history of the writings, the references to these books in a dozen or more writers from the 1st to 3rd century. With the Greek OT, until you get to the 2nd century AD, there is little hard evidence. At that point you get some early church writers discussing differences, like Justin Martyr.

Incidentally, because the material is a bit complex, I am not a fan of the Ruckman-Gipp 'myth' argument, even while considering the Greek OT as totally corrupt and virtually useless (except as one of many language sources that have helped with the difficult Hebrew words, especially in the ages from Rashi and Kimchi to the King James Bible). What they mean may be true, after explanations are given, but it can be understandably interpreted by others as a denial that there was ANY early Greek OT, not even the Pentateuch, at the time of Jesus.

Shalom,
Steven Avery

Brother Tim 05-02-2008 11:21 AM

Steven, thanks for the in-depth response. I am surprised, based on your quote of Josephus, that the issue of the early dating of the LXX is not more settled. My only assumption is that what we call today the LXX was not the (partial) Greek translation that may have existed during that period if at all.

Brother Tim 05-02-2008 11:28 AM

Would it not be true that the title "Septuagint' or "LXX" that has been given to the Greek OT mss is where the problem is created? In reality, those names are specific to a particular 4th century copy, are they not?

Steven Avery 05-02-2008 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother Tim
Steven, thanks for the in-depth response. I am surprised, based on your quote of Josephus, that the issue of the early dating of the LXX is not more settled.

Welcome. I actually picked up this information on a skeptic board, where it was being used for confused reasons. Yet the obvious implications, which we see clearly and 'scholarship' has missed, are totally compelling.

It is as close to a one-quote (ok..two) settlement of a dispute as you are likely to see. How anyone can claim that there was a circulating full Greek OT at the time of Jesus and the apostolic writings of the NT, in the wake of the Josephus reference to the lack of the history books in Greek, is a real puzzle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother Tim
My only assumption is that what we call today the LXX was not the (partial) Greek translation that may have existed during that period if at all....Would it not be true that the title "Septuagint' or "LXX" that has been given to the Greek OT mss is where the problem is created? In reality, those names are specific to a particular 4th century copy, are they not?

Yes. This is one of those malleable terms, and that is one of the problems in ever using it without ultra-caution (I generally use 'Greek OT'). 'LXX' or 'Septuagint' is meant to give an impression of antiquity (what occurred c 250 BC) to MSS that are 4th century and later, even knowing the ultra-squirrelly transmissional history of the first centuries AD. Even some in scholarship realms recoil at the loose usage of the term.

Shalom,
Steven

Brother Tim 05-02-2008 11:57 AM

"ultra-squirrelly" - is that Hebrew or Greek? :)

Diligent 05-02-2008 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Avery (Post 3946)
Nope. The Greek OT was smoothed in many places to match NT readings, such as the awkward Greek OT Cainan addition (I believe the Floyd Jones paper discusses that in some depth, also issues like the number 70 or 75 out of Egypt). These tamperings were not 'right', this was Bible correcting.

I must have not been clear. Many people try to prove the validity of the LXX by saying that the NT writers quoted from it. My point is that this is a poor argument and that if the LXX agrees with the Textus Receptus on a particular "translation," it is not because the NT writers quoted the LXX.

jerry 05-02-2008 12:26 PM

Quote:

I just took a brief glance at some Wikipedia entries and find it treated as historical fact that the Septuagint existed, also that Philo referred to it in the century before Christ and that Jerome used it in his translation of the Vulgate Bible. So that is more than just Origen given as source of information, Jerry.
Since when is Wickedpedia a sound source on spiritual and textual issues?

Jerome lived around the same time as Origen - so that is no proof for a Greek OT existing before Christ.

jerry 05-02-2008 12:47 PM

This was the quote I was referring to by Edersheim (the rest of the paragraph is mine - what is in quotations is from Edersheim - I included the rest as commentary on Origen):

Quote:

Origen, among his many false doctrines, denied the inspiration of the Scriptures, was responsible for the corruption of Biblical texts (specifically in the Alexandrian stream of texts), and allegorized/spiritualized the Bible. He has been referred to by some as the father of textual criticism, and we can see by his many changes and editing of the Biblical texts that he was the one to lay the foundation for modern Bible versions. It is also believed that before the time of Christ, the Greek Septuagint only contained the books of Moses - until Origen took and translated the rest of the Hebrew Old Testament into Greek, according to his fanciful suppositions. "From this account we may at least derive as historical these facts: that the Pentateuch - for to it only the testimony refers - was translated into Greek, at the suggestion of Demetrius Phalareus, in the reign and under the patronage - if not by direction - of Ptolemy II. (Philadelphus)." (Alfred Edersheim, The Life And Times Of Jesus The Messiah, Volume 1 Page 24) In other words, this corrupt text that modern version editors and translators like to use and justify their corrections with was in fact not written until several hundred years after Christ. It is not reliable at all.
Doing a search in the link Steven gave above, shows that this is on page 19 of that edition.

sophronismos 05-02-2008 02:55 PM

But why does Paul quote Old Testament passages so differently from what we have from the Hebrew? If he wasn't quoting some pre-existing Greek version, what was he doing? And secondly, why wasn't he gungho in KJVO-type fashion to call people Bible correctors for having thoroughly rather than throughly in their Bibles? He quotes Habakkuk 1:5 "Behold ye among the heathen, and regard, and wonder marvellously: for I will work a work in your days, which ye will not believe, though it be told you" as "Behold, ye despisers, and wonder, and perish: for I work a work in your days, a work which ye shall in no wise believe, though a man declare it unto you" in Acts 13:41. This is a KJVO nightmare. How did he change "among the heathen" to "ye despisers" and how did "wonder marvellously" change into "and perish"? Was he quoting some sub-par Greek translation that everyone was used to? Was he quoting from memory and not getting it quite right? Was Luke writing it down from memory and not getting what Paul said quite right? Was he making his own OT translation on the fly, and if so, why is it so different? These are all questions that Bibleprotector (more than any other) must needs consider. Here he is straining out the nat of betrayeth vs bewrayeth (even though they means the same thing!) but Paul is saying "and perish" where the text he is refering to says "wonder marvellously."

BTW, the LXX that we have today doesn't match very many NT quotations of the OT. It is clear that if the NT writers were quoting a Greek translation of Scripture, it is certainly NOT the LXX that we have today.