For a complete Scripture study system, try SwordSearcher Bible Software, which includes the unabridged version of this dictionary. Once you experience the swiftness and ease-of-use SwordSearcher gives you right on your own computer, combined with the most powerful search features available, you will never want to use the web to do online study again. Includes tens of thousands of topical, encyclopedic, and commentary entries all linked to verses, fully searchable by topic or verse reference.
Also try Daily Bible and Prayer to design your own Bible reading programs and track your prayer list.
SUB'TIL, a. L. subtilis. This word is often written subtle, but less properly.
1. Thin; not dense or gross; as subtil air; subtil vapor; a subtil medium.
2. Nice; fine; delicate.
I do distinguish plain
Each subtil line of her immortal face.
3. Acute; piercing; as subtil pain.
4. Sly; artful; cunning; crafty; insinuating; as a subtil person; a subtil adversary.
5. Planned by art; deceitful; as a subtil scheme.
6. Deceitful; treacherous.
7. Refined; fine; acute; as a subtil argument.
SUBTIL'ITY, n. Fineness.
SUBTILIZA'TION, n. from subtilize.
1. The act of making subtil, fine or thin. In the laboratory, the operation of making so volatile as to rise in steam or vapor.
2. Refinement; extreme acuteness.
SUB'TILIZE, v.t. L. subtilis.
1. To make thin or fine; to make less gross or coarse.
2. To refine; to spin into niceties; as, to subtilize arguments.
SUB'TILIZE, v.i. To refine in argument; to make very nice distinctions.
In whatever manner the papist might subtilize--
SUB'TILNESS, n. Thinness; rareness; as the subtilness of air.
1. Fineness; acuteness; as the subtilness of an argument.
2. Cunning; artfulness; as the subtilness of a foe.
"Seek ye out of the book of the Lord, and read" —Isaiah 34:16, KJV
Website ©2014 AV1611.COM's webmaster. Various texts copyrighted by their authors.