For a complete Scripture study system, try SwordSearcher Bible Software, which includes the unabridged version of this dictionary. Once you experience the swiftness and ease-of-use SwordSearcher gives you right on your own computer, combined with the most powerful search features available, you will never want to use the web to do online study again. Includes tens of thousands of topical, encyclopedic, and commentary entries all linked to verses, fully searchable by topic or verse reference.
Also try Daily Bible and Prayer to design your own Bible reading programs and track your prayer list.
ABU'SE, v.t. s as z. L. abutor, abusus of ab and utor, to use; Gr. to accustom. See Use.
1. To use ill; to maltreat; to misuse; to use with bad motives or to wrong purposes; as, to abuse rights or privileges.
They that use this world as not abusing it. 1Cor. vii.
2. To violate; to defile by improper sexual intercourse.
3. To deceive; to impose on.
Nor be with all these tempting words abused.
4. To treat rudely, or with reproachful language; to revile.
He mocked and abused them shamefully.
5. To pervert the meaning of; to misapply; as to abuse words.
ABU'SE, n. Ill use; improper treatment or employment; application to a wrong purpose; as an abuse of our natural powers; an abuse of civil rights, or of religious privileges; abuse of advantages, &c.
Liberty may be endangered by the abuses of liberty, as well as by the abuses of power.
2. A corrupt practice or custom, as the abuses of government.
3. Rude speech; reproachful language addressed to a person; contumely; reviling words.
After the abuse he forsook me.
5. Perversion of meaning; improper use or application; as an abuse of words.
ABU'SED, pp. s as z. Ill-used; used to a bad purpose; treated with rude language; misemployed; perverted to bad or wrong ends; deceived; defiled; violated.
ABU'SEFUL, a. Using or practicing abuse; abusive. Not used.
ABU'SER, n. s as z. One who abuses, in speech or behavior; one that deceives; a ravisher; a sodomite. 1Cor. vi.
ABU'SING, ppr. s as z. Using ill; employing to bad purposes; deceiving; violating the person; perverting.
ABU'SION, n. abu'zhon. Abuse; evil or corrupt usage; reproach. Little used.
1. Practicing abuse; offering harsh words, or ill treatment; as an abusive author; an abusive fellow.
2. Containing abuse, or that is the instrument of abuse, as abusive words; rude; reproachful. In the sense of deceitful, as an abusive treaty. Little used.
ABU'SIVELY, adv. In an abusive manner; rudely; reproachfully.
ABU'SIVENESS, n. Ill-usage; the quality of being abusive; rudeness of language, or violence to the person.
"Seek ye out of the book of the Lord, and read" —Isaiah 34:16, KJV
Website ©2015 AV1611.COM's webmaster. Various texts copyrighted by their authors.