Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:16 AM

Default Addendum for discussion

Let me start off by stating I am not a literate man, when it comes to writing posts. I express my thoughts much better in person than I do in my writing.

I am not a divisive person. I don’t look to cause fights or people to lose their cool. I don’t make it my practice to attack a person, though I will express disagreement with their concepts.

My original post had two points I was trying to make.

1. Mr. Webster’s views on the King James Bible. He felt it necessary to correct it and put out his own version which the following quote from my original posting shows.

Quote:
Webster released his own edition of the Bible in 1833, called the Common Version. He used the King James Version (KJV) as a base and consulted the Hebrew and Greek along with various other versions and commentaries. Webster molded the KJV to correct grammar, replaced words that were no longer used, and did away with words and phrases that could be seen as offensive. (I made this bold for a reason. A downloadable copy of his version is available here, if you wish to compare it). http://www.believersresource.com/con...e-webster.html

All editions of Webster's Dictionary published in 1913 and earlier, along with the Webster Bible and Dissertation on the English Language are available in the public domain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah_Webster

Over and over we talk about how it is wrong to correct the Word of God whether by addition or subtraction. Here we have a man who is constantly quoted as an authority on terms and language in the English language as it appears in our Bible. The emphasized portion in the above quote shows the Mr. Webster corrected the King James.
2. His definitions were flavored with his own beliefs. The definition given was an example of that. He thought religion was the final guide when we believe it is God’s Holy Word, our King James Bible. I can not find anywhere in my research which shows his denominational slant. I can make educated guesses based on the period of time he lived and where he lived and what the prevailing denomination was. But that would be implying facts I don't have.

I would like to hear some thoughts on the first point, his correction of the King James Bible. This is not an attack on Mr. Webster, it is a discussion of his views.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 07-13-2009, 11:21 AM

Hi Ripdood,

I'm glad you started this thread and understand why you started it.

I think you expressed yourself quite well and I appreciate the information you posted about Webster, as well as your comments. I had never heard of the Webster's 1828 Dictionary before I joined this board. I noticed that people like Brandon (Swordsearcher software), Will, George and Matthew Verschuur (Bibleprotector) all prefer to use it over other dictionaries, as you do, and some of the reasons for their preference, so I started using it myself.

I couldn't agree more on your and George's point that we shouldn't use a dictionary to define how words like "shepherd" are used in the Bible. Looking up what "shepherd" means is fine but if we want to come to an understanding of what God means when He uses it we should find every instance of it's use in the scriptures and find the context of each passage.

A pastor follows God and only speaks what is right before God; he doesn't follow a board or teach the private interpretations of his denomination. That is a principle of God in any dispensation.

Jeremiah 17:16 As for me, I have not hastened from being a pastor to follow thee: neither have I desired the woeful day; thou knowest: that which came out of my lips was right before thee.

If a man makes the comment that a pastor's role is to teach people what to believe and how to live without at least adding "according to scripture" or "from the Bible" it sends up a red flag for me, especially when he fails to qualify his statement after several people state their concerns with it. It makes me wonder if that person seeks to usurp the role of the Holy Spirit and the Holy Word of God over Christian's minds and lives.

Thanks again for making your point in this thread that our final authority is the Holy Scriptures rather than another man's understanding of them .

2 Timothy 3:16-17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

1 John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:53 AM

Default Re: " Webster's Dictionary 1828"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripdood View Post
Let me start off by stating I am not a literate man, when it comes to writing posts. I express my thoughts much better in person than I do in my writing.

I am not a divisive person. I don’t look to cause fights or people to lose their cool. I don’t make it my practice to attack a person, though I will express disagreement with their concepts.

My original post had two points I was trying to make.

1. Mr. Webster’s views on the King James Bible. He felt it necessary to correct it and put out his own version which the following quote from my original posting shows.

2. His definitions were flavored with his own beliefs. The definition given was an example of that. He thought religion was the final guide when we believe it is God’s Holy Word, our King James Bible. I can not find anywhere in my research which shows his denominational slant. I can make educated guesses based on the period of time he lived and where he lived and what the prevailing denomination was. But that would be implying facts I don't have.

I would like to hear some thoughts on the first point, his correction of the King James Bible. This is not an attack on Mr. Webster, it is a discussion of his views.

Aloha brother,

Your comments are most welcome and your insight on Noah Webster is "right on"! I am aware that Webster made his own translation of the Bible (that never went anywhere), and that is one of the main reasons I caution people when using his 1828 Dictionary. {Having said that - Webster's 1828 Dictionary is far superior to any modern dictionary when it comes to defining Bible words. It just shouldn't be used as a "FINAL AUTHORITY" when it comes to Bible words of "spiritual importance".}

Any word in the Bible that has any spiritual significance at all should be determined by a comparison of Scripture with Scripture.Webster is OK on lots of words that do not require spiritual discernment, but since he was "off" on some of his doctrine - his personal beliefs influenced his "definition" of some words.

I don't know if you have Swordsearcher (Electronic Bible Concordance), if you do, there is a searchable copy of Webster's 1828 Dictionary within the Software; and it is a great resource for Bible study {even for those of us that are not Literate. }
Old 07-13-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
A pastor follows God and only speaks what is right before God; he doesn't follow a board or teach the private interpretations of his denomination. That is a principle of God in any dispensation.

Jeremiah 17:16 As for me, I have not hastened from being a pastor to follow thee: neither have I desired the woeful day; thou knowest: that which came out of my lips was right before thee.

If a man makes the comment that a pastor's role is to teach people what to believe and how to live without at least adding "according to scripture" or "from the Bible" it sends up a red flag for me, especially when he fails to qualify his statement after several people state their concerns with it. It makes me wonder if that person seeks to usurp the role of the Holy Spirit and the Holy Word of God over Christian's minds and lives.
Ripdood, sorry that my final rant about the above topic found it's way into my reply to you. Not sure how that happened... I guess I was still worked up.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Bro Schwenke said: I appeal to the dictionary only to clarify what the Bible already says. We must have a standard of defining words, so that we don't talk past each other. So, if I cannot give a precise definition to a word, I look it up in the dictionary, test the dictionary with the Scripture to see if the Scripture agrees with how the word is defined, and when it agrees, I use it to bring clarification to the argument, and to keep the argument focused on the correct thing.

So the final authority for doctrine, etc is the AV. The Dictionary brings clarification to the words we use in our dialogues so that we can understand what we are saying to each other. It also helps us understand how the Bible uses words, particularly those that have multiple meanings, and particularly those that are being misused in modern language.
Quote:
Bro. George said:
{Having said that - Webster's 1828 Dictionary is far superior to any modern dictionary when it comes to defining Bible words. It just shouldn't be used as a "FINAL AUTHORITY" when it comes to Bible words of "spiritual importance".}

Any word in the Bible that has any spiritual significance at all should be determined by a comparison of Scripture with Scripture.Webster is OK on lots of words that do not require spiritual discernment, but since he was "off" on some of his doctrine - his personal beliefs influenced his "definition" of some words.

I don't know if you have Swordsearcher (Electronic Bible Concordance), if you do, there is a searchable copy of Webster's 1828 Dictionary within the Software; and it is a great resource for Bible study {even for those of us that are not Literate. }
It looks all the world to me like both George and Schwenke agree? Where is the disagreement here?
Old 07-28-2009, 01:52 PM

Default Re: "Webster's Dictionary 1828"

Amanda S Post #15:
Quote:
Bro Schwenke said: {Post #2}
Quote:
"I appeal to the dictionary only to clarify what the Bible already says. We must have a standard of defining words, so that we don't talk past each other. So, if I cannot give a precise definition to a word, I look it up in the dictionary, test the dictionary with the Scripture to see if the Scripture agrees with how the word is defined, and when it agrees, I use it to bring clarification to the argument, and to keep the argument focused on the correct thing.

So the final authority for doctrine, etc is the AV. The Dictionary brings clarification to the words we use in our dialogues so that we can understand what we are saying to each other. It also helps us understand how the Bible uses words, particularly those that have multiple meanings, and particularly those that are being misused in modern language."
Bro. George said: {Post #13}
Quote:
{Having said that - Webster's 1828 Dictionary is far superior to any modern dictionary when it comes to defining Bible words. It just shouldn't be used as a "FINAL AUTHORITY" when it comes to Bible words of "spiritual importance".}

It looks all the world to me like both George and Schwenke agree? Where is the disagreement here?
Re: "Bible Studies" > Webster's Dictionary 1828 > Post #13

George actually said: {Post #13}
Quote:
Aloha brother,

”Your comments are most welcome and your insight on Noah Webster is "right on"! I am aware that Webster made his own translation of the Bible (that never went anywhere), and that is one of the main reasons I caution people when using his 1828 Dictionary. {Having said that - Webster's 1828 Dictionary is far superior to any modern dictionary when it comes to defining Bible words. It just shouldn't be used as a "FINAL AUTHORITY" when it comes to Bible words of "spiritual importance".}

I don't know if you have Swordsearcher (Electronic Bible Concordance), if you do, there is a searchable copy of Webster's 1828 Dictionary within the Software; and it is a great resource for Bible study {even for those of us that are not Literate.}”
Amanda. When you "quoted me" you LEFT OUT (In "blue" above) part of my "quote" - a very important part where I CAUTIONED brother Ripdood about using Webster's 1828 Dictionary.

I am answering you inquiry because I may have left the wrong impression with my the last paragraph in my Post #13. When I was speaking of "a great resource for Bible study" I was referring to Swordsearcher Bible Software - NOT Webster's 1828 Dictionary. But after reading the paragraph over, I can see where I was not as clear as I should have been in expressing what I meant.

It would have been much more informative had you also included my Post #7 in regards to this Thread, since that Post "qualified" (more clearly) what I believe in regards to Webster's 1828 Dictionary.

I will cite that Post here and now (just in case you missed it):

Re: "Bible Studies" > Webster's Dictionary 1828 > Post #7

George said:
Quote:
Aloha brother Gary,

I'm with you 100% per cent of the way brother! The Bible is it's own "BEST DICTIONARY"! And when it comes to spiritual issues NEVER trust Webster, or Strong, or some Lexicon. The following are some comments (on this Forum) that I have made before on this subject:

Quote:
"For most "Old English" words I have used Webster's 1828 Dictionary - However, when it comes to any words that may have significant spiritual meaning I always use the Bible only (words like: soul, spirit, heart, mind, conscience, etc.). When it comes to spiritual meanings of some words Noah Webster may not have understood their meaning - because God may not have shown him."

"I did not obtain these definitions from Webster's Dictionary or Strong's Concordance or any book, article, etc. written by another man. When it comes to spiritual matters Webster & Strong are very little help, since only God can give us the discernment, understanding, and wisdom to understand His words. These definitions are the result of searching the Scriptures for over a year in pursuit of a study that I have done on the Biblical heart of man:"

"Webster's 1828 English Dictionary may be of some "help" when looking up a so-called "archaic" English word; but I have made it a practice, for over 40 years now, that whenever a word in the Bible has any "spiritual significance" at all, to never trust Webster or the Lexicons - instead I have relied on the Holy Spirit to reveal to me what God has to say about a particular subject or issue by searching the scriptures and comparing scripture with scripture.
"

"I have been studying the King James Bible for 50 years now (40 of those years intensively). From 1968 up to 1996 I used either Young's Concordance or Strong's Concordance to look up English words in the Bible and to compare scripture with scripture (NEVER as a Lexicon i.e. to get the "meanings" of words). I can testify to you here and now that using Swordsearcher hasn't made my study just 10 times faster and more convenient - it has made my Bible study any wheres from 10 to 100 times faster and more convenient!"

"The word “spirit” (pertaining only to mankind – and excluding God’s Spirit or evil spirits, etc.) is mentioned approximately 144 times in 134 Verses in the Holy Bible. To accurately describe something that we cannot see, but accept by faith in the Scriptures, is extremely difficult. Webster’s Dictionary of 1828 is not that much help here either, because of the difficulty distinguishing between the soul and spirit (Check out Webster's "definition")."
When it comes to any word in the Bible which has any spiritual significance I do NOT recommend going to Webster's Dictionary. Search out the words (Scripture with Scripture) to find God's definition. When you have determined in your heart, mind, spirit and soul what the meaning is, you might check out Webster's as a comparison - but I recommend that you do not go to Webster's first - it might "influence" your search (without even knowing it.)

For your information, when it comes to the Biblical words soul, spirit, heart, mind, and conscience, Webster's will not be much help. Looking up the words and comparing Scripture with Scripture will give you a much more "accurate" definition than Webster.
A short "search" on the AV1611 Bible Forums demonstrates that I have made the following quotes (and probably more) over the past year and a half in regards to Webster's 1828 Dictionary:

"I caution people when using his 1828 Dictionary"; "And when it comes to spiritual issues NEVER trust Webster, or Strong, or some Lexicon."; "When it comes to spiritual matters Webster & Strong are very little help,"; "I have made it a practice, for over 40 years now, that whenever a word in the Bible has any "spiritual significance" at all, to never trust Webster or the Lexicons "; "Webster’s Dictionary of 1828 is not that much help here either"; "When it comes to any word in the Bible which has any spiritual significance I do NOT recommend going to Webster's Dictionary. "; "I recommend that you do not go to Webster's first - it might "influence" your search (without even knowing it.)"; "For your information, when it comes to the Biblical words soul, spirit, heart, mind, and conscience, Webster's will not be much help."

You stated: "It looks all the world to me like both George and Schwenke agree? Where is the disagreement here?"

I have gone out of my way to CAUTION and WARN the brethren about NOT DEPENDING on Webster's 1828 Dictionary (or the Concordances and Lexicons) when searching for the "meaning" of the words of Scripture; perhaps you can show me in Schwenke's statements where he has WARNED people NOT TO DEPEND on the Dictionary, or Concordances, or Lexicons for the "meaning" of God's words
- I don't see any words of CAUTION in his statement.

Schwenke refers to Webster's 1828 as a "STANDARD" -
Webster's 1828 is NOT "The STANDARD" - when it comes to Bible words of any "spiritual significance"; if it is to be considered "The STANDARD", then it becomes our "FINAL AUTHORITY" in all matters dealing with the "meanings" of all Bible words. Schwenkie did NOT make that DISTINCTION clear when he referred to Webster's as being the "STANDARD".

I do not intend to drag this discussion out. The main reason I have responded to your inquiry is the fact that I was not as clear and precise as I would have liked to have been in the last paragraph in my Post #13 (this Thread). I hope that I cleared up any "misunderstanding" I may have given you (or any one else) about what I believe to be "
a great resource for Bible study". I was speaking in regards to "Swordsearcher Bible Software" - NOT Webster's 1828 Dictionary.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:42 PM

Thank you I see where you are coming from. Honestly I've never heard Webster spoken negatively of that I remember.....? My husband most often refers to the Oxford but as said only when it lines up with Scripture.

I also did not realize a search could be done. Great resource!
Old 07-28-2009, 05:13 PM

SwordSearcher is the first Bible software I've used and it is fantastic. It takes a fraction of the time it takes using books to find or compare passages or do word or topical studies, and you can copy a page with extensive scripture references from a book or article on your computer onto the scan text function and all the references are clickable or you can just move your cursor onto the references and read a portion of the Bible passage. It has maps, commentaries, bible dictionaries, books on dispenationalism, and many other features. Probably the best money I've ever spent. It also has the "infamous" Webster's 1928 Dictionary. This is not a paid advertisement.

Last edited by greenbear; 07-28-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda S. View Post
"Thank you I see where you are coming from. Honestly I've never heard Webster spoken negatively of that I remember.....? My husband most often refers to the Oxford but as said only when it lines up with Scripture.

I also did not realize a search could be done. Great resource
!"

Amanda S,

In order to demonstrate that I am not just some negative old curmudgeon, who "thinks" he "knows it all", or is against "book learnin" - the following are some comparison's between Webster's 1828 Dictionary and the Scriptural "definitions" I gleaned from the Holy Bible in a study that I did on the Biblical "HEART" that took me more than a year to complete.

The following comparisons are from the "addendum's" to the study, and are a small part of the complete 250 page study:

A COMPARISON OF THE DEFINITIONS OF:
(HEART – CONSCIENCE – MIND – SPIRIT - SOUL)

Before we begin the study on the heart, a review of the definitions of the words heart, mind, conscience, spirit, and soul is necessary. The word body has been omitted for purposes of brevity and also because the meaning of the word should be understood by most people.

ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES THE SIX ATTRIBUTES OF MAN ARE:

Our Substance: Man is made up of three parts - [Body-Soul-Spirit]
(Genesis 2:7; 1 Thessalonians 5:23)

Our Faculties:
Man also possesses three faculties – [Heart-Mind-Conscience]
(1 Chronicles 28:9; Matthew 22:37; Mark 12:30; Luke 10:27; Titus 1:15; 1 Timothy 1:5;
Hebrews 10:22)

Although it can be demonstrated from the Holy Scriptures that a single individual attribute of man may be similar in function and operation to another separate but individual attribute, and that some of the individual attributes of man may share some of the same characteristics as others. A thorough study of all the Bible verses pertaining to these words reveals that each of the substances that make up an individual [Body-Soul-Spirit] and each individual’s faculties [Heart-Mind-Conscience] are quite different from each other, and that each of these substances and faculties serve clearly distinct and separate purposes. According to the Bible these six (6) individual words are not synonymous!

The following comparison of the definitions of the words heart, mind, conscience, spirit, and soul from Webster’s 1828 Dictionary and the Biblical definitions [gleaned from the Bible] of these same words demonstrates just how difficult it is to define words that are spiritual in nature and which deal with man’s substances and faculties that, with the exception of the body, cannot be seen.

How ever difficult it may be to understand the meanings of these words and others in the Bible, we are commanded to study: [“Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” 2Timothy 2:15] and the manner [method] in which are to study is outlined in the Scriptures.
[“For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:” Isaiah 28:10 & Isaiah 28:13].

In the study of the heart in God’s word [The Bible=Scriptures=God’s words], we must first determine just exactly what we are studying in order to understand who, why, when or wherefore. God has not left us at the mercy of the “experts” or the “scholars” in this matter – He has given His people a witness {The Holy Spirit} that we might know the truth: [John 2:20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things. 21I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth. John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.] The following definitions of the words heart, mind, conscience, spirit, and soul are supplied for your meditation & study.

HEART OF THE MATTER - DEFINITIONS
Webster’s 1828 and The Bible

(Numbers In Bold & Underlined Apply and are Appropriate)

WEBSTER’S 1828 DICTIONARY DEFINITION

HEART, n. L. cor, cordis, and allied to Eng.core, or named from motion, pulsation.

1.A muscular viscus, which is the primary organ of the blood's motion in an animal body, situated in the thorax. From this organ all the arteries arise, and in it all the veins terminate. By its alternate dilatation and contraction, the blood is received from the veins, and returned through the arteries, by which means the circulation is carried on and life preserved.

2. The inner part of any thing; the middle part or interior; as the heart of a country, kingdom or empire; the heart of a town; the heart of a tree.

3. The chief part; the vital part; the vigorous or efficacious part.

4. The seat of the affections and passions, as of love, joy, grief, enmity, courage, pleasure &c.

The heart is deceitful above all things. Every imagination of the thoughts of the heart is evil continually. We read of an honest and good heart, and an evil heart of unbelief, a willing heart, a heavy heart, sorrow of heart, a hard heart, a proud heart, a pure heart. The heart faints in adversity, or under discouragement, that is, courage fails; the heart is deceived, enlarged, reproved, lifted up, fixed, established, moved, &c.

5. By a metonymy, heart is used for an affection or passion, and particularly for love.

The king's heart was towards Absalom. 2 Samuel 14.

6. The seat of the understanding; as an understanding heart. We read of men wise in heart, and slow of heart.

7. The seat of the will; hence, secret purposes, intentions or designs. There are many devices in a man's heart. The heart of kings is unsearchable. The Lord tries and searches the heart. David had it in his heart to build a house of rest for the ark.

Sometimes heart is used for the will, or determined purpose.

The heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil. Ecclesiastes 8.

8.Person; character; used with respect to courage or kindess.

Cheerly, my hearts.

9.Courage; spirit; as, to take heart; to give heart; to recover heart.

10.Secret thoughts; recesses of the mind.

Michal saw king David leaping and dancing before the Lord, and she despised him in her heart. 2 Samuel 6.

11.Disposition of mind.

He had a heart to do well.

12. Secret meaning; real intention.

And then show you the heart of my message.

13.Conscience, or sense of good or ill.

Every man's heart and conscience--doth either like or disallow it.

14. Strength; power of producing; vigor; fertility. Keep the land in heart.

That the spent earth may gather heart again.

15. The utmost degree.

This gay charm--hath beguiled me

To the very heart of loss.

To get or learn by heart, to commit to memory; to learn so perfectly as to be able to repeat without a copy.

To take to heart, to be much affected; also, to be zealous, ardent or solicitous about a thing; to have concern.

To lay to heart, is used nearly in the sense of the foregoing.

To set the heart on, to fix the desires on; to be very desirous of obtaining or keeping; to be very fond of.

To set the heart at rest, to make one's self quiet; to be tranquil or easy in mind.

To find in the heart, to be willing or disposed.

I find it in my heart to ask your pardon.

For my heart, for tenderness or affection.

I could not for my heart refuse his request.

Or, this phrase may signify, for my life; if my life was at stake.

I could not get him for my heart to do it.

To speak to one's heart, in Scripture, to speak kindly to; to comfort; to encourage.

To have in the heart, to purpose; to have design or intention.

A hard heart, cruelty; want of sensibility.

Quote:
THE BIBLICAL DEFINITION OF THE HEART {Our “Motivator”}

The heart is that faculty within a man or woman which is the center or seat of our
1 thoughts,2 meditations, 3 considerations, 4 perceptions, 5 concepts, 6 reasoning,
understanding, 8 beliefs, 9 imaginations
, 10 fears, 11 doubts, 12 counsels, 13 intents, 14 desires (affections - emotions), and 15 pride. The heart is where the 16 will resides and operates.

(1.Job 17:11; 2.Psalms 19:14; 3. Deuteronomy 8:5; 4.Deuteronomy 29:4; 5.Acts 5:4; 6.Mark 2:8; 7.Proverbs 8:5; 8.Romans 10:9-10; 9.Genesis 6:5;10. Isaiah 35:4, Luke 21:26; 11. Mark 11:23; 12.Jeremiah 7:24;13.Hebrews 4:12; 14.Psalms 37:4, Colossians 3:2; 15. 2 Chronicles 32:26;16. Psalms 101:2, Psalms 119:69, Psalms 119:145, Isaiah 32:6, 1 Corinthians 7:37, Ephesians 6:6.)

MIND, n. L. reminiscor; L. mens; Gr. memory, mention, to remember, mind, ardor of mind, vehemence; anger. Mind signifies properly intention, a reaching or inclining forward to an object, from the primary sense of extending, stretching or inclining, or advancing eagerly, pushing or setting forward, whence the Greek sense of the word, in analogy with the Teutonic mod, moed, muth, mind, courage, spirit, mettle. So L. animus, animosus.

1. Intention; purpose; design.
The sacrifice of the wicked is abomination; how much more, when he bringeth it with a wicked mind. Proverbs 21.

2. Inclination; will; desire; a sense much used, but expressing less than settled purpose; as in the common phrases, "I wish to know your mind;" "let me know your mind;" "he had a mind to go;" "he has a partner to his mind."

3. Opinion; as, to express one's mind. We are of one mind.

4. Memory; remembrance; as, to put one in mind; to call to mind; the fact is out of my mind; time out of mind. From the operations of the intellect in man,this word came to signify.

5. The intellectual or intelligent power in man; the understanding; the power that conceives, judges or reasons.

I fear I am not in my perfect mind.

So we speak of a sound mind, a disordered mind, a weak mind, a strong mind, with reference to the active powers of the understanding; and in a passive sense, it denotes capacity, as when we say, the mind cannot comprehend a subject.

6. The heart or seat of affection.

Which were a grief of mind to Isaac and Rebekah. Genesis 26.

7. The will and affection; as readiness of mind. Acts 17.

8. The implanted principle of grace. Romans 7.

MIND, v.t. To attend to; to fix the thoughts on; to regard with attention.

Cease to request me; let us mind our way.

Mind not high things. Romans 12.

1. To attend to or regard with submission; to obey. His father told him to desist, but he would not mind him.

2. To put in mind; to remind.

3. To intend; to mean.

MIND, v.i. To be inclined or disposed to incline.

When one of them mindeth to go into rebellion.

Quote:
THE BIBLICAL DEFINITION OF THE MIND {Our “Facilitator”}

The mind is that faculty within a man or woman wherein resides our intellect or intelligence.
In the Bible the mind is separate and distinct from the heart in purpose, though sometimes similar in function and operation.

CONSCIENCE, n. L., to know, to be privy to.

1. Internal or self-knowledge, or judgment of right and wrong; or the faculty, power or principle within us, which decides on the lawfulness or unlawfulness of our own actions and affections, and instantly approves or condemns them. Conscience is called by some writers the moral sense, and considered as an original faculty of our nature. Others question the propriety of considering conscience as a distinct faculty or principle. They consider it rather as the general principle of moral approbation or disapprobation, applied to ones own conduct and affections; alledging that our notions of right and wrong are not to be deduced from a single principle or faculty, but from various powers of the understanding and will.

Being convicted by their own conscience, they went out one by one. John 8.

The conscience manifests itself in the feeling of obligation we experience, which precedes, attends and follows our actions.

Conscience is first occupied in ascertaining our duty, before we proceed to action; then in judging of our actions when performed.

2. The estimate or determination of conscience; justice; honesty.

What you require cannot, in conscience, be deferred.

3. Real sentiment; private thought; truth; as, do you in conscience believe the story?

4. Consciousness; knowledge of our own actions or thought.

The sweetest cordial we receive at last, is conscience of our virtuous actions past.

This primary sense of the word is nearly, perhaps wholly obsolete.

5. Knowledge of the actions of others.

6. In ludicrous language, reason or reasonableness.

Half a dozen fools are, in all conscience, as many as you should require.

To make conscience or a matter of conscience, is to act according to the dictates of conscience, or to scruple to act contrary to its dictates.

Court of conscience, a court established for the recovery of small debts in London and other trading cities and districts.

Quote:
THE BIBLICAL DEFINITION OF THE CONSCIENCE {Our “Regulator”}

The conscience is that faculty within a man or woman wherein resides the awareness of right and wrong (good and evil), and which influences the heart and mind as to the lawfulness or unlawfulness of our own affections & actions. According to the Scriptures the human heart and conscience are separate and distinct from each other in purpose and in operation.

SPIR'IT, n. L. spiritus, from spiro, to breathe, to blow. The primary sense is to rush or drive.

1. Primarily, wind; air in motion; hence, breath. All bodies have spirits and pneumatical parts within them. This sense is now unusual.

2. Animal excitement, or the effect of it; life; ardor; fire; courage; elevation or vehemence of mind. The troops attacked the enemy with great spirit. The young man has the spirit of youth. He speaks or act with spirit. Spirits, in the plural, is used in nearly a like sense. The troops began to recover their spirits.

3. Vigor of intellect; genius. His wit, his beauty and his spirit. The noblest spirit or genius cannot deserve enough of mankind to pretend to the esteem of heroic virtue.

4. Temper; disposition of mind, habitual or temporary; as a man of a generous spirit, or of a revengeful spirit; the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit. Let us go to the house of God in the spirit of prayer.

5. The soul of man; the intelligent, immaterial and immortal part of human beings. See Soul. the spirit shall return to God that gave it. Ecclesiastes 12.

6. An immaterial intelligent substance. Spirit is a substance in which thinking, knowing, doubting, and a power of moving do subsist. Hence,

7. An immaterial intelligent being. By which he went and preached to the spirit in prison. I Peter 3. God is a spirit. John 4.

8. Turn of mind; temper; occasions; state of the mind. A perfect judge will read each work of wit, with the same spirit that its author writ.

9. Powers of mind distinct from the body. In spirit perhaps he also saw Rich Mexico, the seat of Montezume.

10. Sentiment; perception. You spirit is too true, your fears too certain.

11. Eager desire; disposition of mind excited and directed to a particular object. God has made a spirit of building succeed a spirit of pulling down.

12. A person of activity; a man of life, vigor or enterprise. The watery kingdom is no bar to stop the foreign spirits, but they come.

13. Persons distinguished by qualities of the mind. Such spirits as he desired to please, such would I choose for my judges.

14. Excitement of mind; animation; cheerfulness; usually in the plural. We found our friend in very good spirits. He has a great flow of spirits. -To sing thy praise, would heaven my breath prolong, Infusing spirits worthy such a song.

15. Life or strength of resemblance; essential qualities; as, to set off the face in its true spirit. The copy has not the spirit of the original.

16. Something eminently pure and refined. Nor doth the eye itself, that most pure spirit of sense, behold itself.

17. That which hath power or energy; the quality of any substance which manifest life, activity, or the power of strongly affecting other bodies; as the spirit of wine or of any liquor.

18. A strong, pungent or stimulation liquor, usually obtained by distillation, as rum, brandy, gin, whiskey. In America, spirit, used without other words explanatory of its meaning, signifies the liquor distilled from cane-juice, or rum. We say, new spirit, or old spirit, Jamaica spirit, &c.

19. An apparition; a ghost.

20. The renewed nature of man. Matthew 26. Galatians 5.

21. The influences of the Holy Spirit. Matthew 22.

Quote:
THE BIBLICAL DEFINITION OF THE SPIRIT {Our “Life”}

The spirit (pertaining only to mankind) is that substance [which is given by God] within a man or woman wherein our very life resides i.e. the spirit [that resides within every man] is life itself. In the Bible the spirit is separate and distinct from the heart and the soul in purpose, though it may have some similar characteristics.

SOUL, n.

1. The spiritual, rational and immortal substance in man, which distinguishes him from brutes; that part of man which enables him to think and reason, and which renders him a subject of moral government. The immortality of the soul is a fundamental article of the Christian system. Such is the nature of the human soul that it must have a God, an object of supreme affection.

2. The understanding; the intellectual principle. The eyes of our soul then only begin to see, when our bodily eye are closing.

3. Vital principle. Thou son, of this great world both eye and soul.

4. Spirit; essence; chief part; as charity, the soul of all the virtues. Emotion is the soul of eloquence.

5. Life; animation principle or part; as, an able commander is the soul of an army.

6. Internal power. There is some soul of goodness in things evil.

7. A human being; a person. There was no a soul present. In Paris there are more than seven hundred thousand souls. London, Westminster, Southwark and the suburbs, are said to contain twelve hundred thousand souls.

8. Animal life. To deliver their soul from death, and to keep them alive in famine. Psalms 33:19

9. Active power. And heaven would fly before the driving soul.

10. Spirit; courage; fire; grandeur of mind. That he wants caution he must needs confess, but not a soul to give our arms success.

11. Generosity; nobleness of mind; a colloquial use.

12. An intelligent being. Every soul in heaven shall bend the knee.

13. Heart; affection. The soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David. I Samuel 18.

14. In Scripture, appetite; as the full soul; the hungry soul. Proverbs 27. Job 33.

15. A familiar compellation of a person, but often expressing some qualities of the mind; as alas, poor soul; he was a good soul.

Quote:
THE BIBLICAL DEFINITION OF THE SOUL {Our “Essence”}

According to the Scriptures the soul is that substance within a man or a woman which is the very essence of their being. The soul within a man or woman is that substance that distinguishes mankind from all of the other living creatures in God’s creation. The soul is that substance which separates an individual from every other individual and makes them unique.
THE BIBLICAL DEFINITION OF MAN

MAN IS A SPIRITUAL BEING IN A PHYSICAL BODY

{The Body = Our “Tabernacle”}

[2 Peter 1:13-14]

Quote:
THE BIBLICAL DEFINITION OF THE HEART {Our Motivator}

The heart is that faculty within a man or woman which is the center or seat of our 1 thoughts, 2 meditations , 3 considerations, 4 perceptions, 5 concepts, 6 reasoning, 7 understanding, 8beliefs, 9 imaginations, 10 fears, 11 doubts, 12 counsels, 13 intents, 14desires (affections - emotions), and 15 pride . The heart is where the 16 will resides and operates.

(1.Job 17:11; 2.Psalms 19:14; 3. Deuteronomy 8:5; 4.Deuteronomy 29:4;5.Acts 5:4; 6.Mark 2:8; 7.Proverbs 8:5; 8.Romans 10:9-10; 9.Genesis 6:5;10. Isaiah 35:4, Luke 21:26; 11. Mark 11:23; 12.Jeremiah 7:24;13.Hebrews 4:12; 14.Psalms 37:4, Colossians 3:2; 15. 2 Chronicles 32:26;16. Psalms 101:2, Psalms 119:69, Psalms 119:145, Isaiah 32:6, 1 Corinthians 7:37, Ephesians 6:6.)

THE BIBLICAL DEFINITION OF THE MIND {Our Facilitator}

According to the Scriptures the mind is that faculty within a man or woman wherein our intellect or intelligence resides.In the Bible the mind is separate and distinct from the heart in purpose, though similar in function and operation.

THE BIBLICAL DEFINITION OF THE CONSCIENCE{Our Regulator}

According to the Scriptures the conscience is that faculty within a man or woman wherein resides the awareness of right and wrong(good and evil),and which influences the heart and mind as to the lawfulness or unlawfulness of our own affections & actions. According to the Scriptures the human heart and conscience are separate and distinct from each other in purpose and in operation.

THE BIBLICAL DEFINITION OF THE SPIRIT {Our Life}

According to the Scriptures the spirit (pertaining only to mankind) is that substance [which is given by God] within a man or woman wherein our very life resides i.e. the spirit [that resides within every man] is life itself. In the Bible the spirit is separate and distinct from the heart and the soul in purpose, though it may have some similar characteristics.

THE BIBLICAL DEFINITION OF THE SOUL {Our Essence}

According to the Scriptures the soul is that substance within a man or a woman which is the very essence of their being. The soul within a man or woman is that substance that distinguishes mankind from all of the other living creatures in God’s creation. The soul is that substance which separates an individual from every other individual and makes them unique.
NOTICE: Five of the six attributes of man are spiritual – you can not see them; hear them; taste them; smell them; or touch them, and yet (according to the Scriptures) these attributes are as real as our physical bodies.

I supplied many Scriptures for the Biblical definitions
(like the heart) of the mind, conscience, spirit, and soul in the study. I do not have the "room" to list them all here.

Perhaps now you might understand when I say: "
When it comes to spiritual matters Webster & Strong are very little help, since only God can give us the discernment, understanding, and wisdom to understand His words."

And again, when I said: "
When it comes to any word in the Bible which has any spiritual significance I do NOT recommend going to Webster's Dictionary. Search out the words (Scripture with Scripture) to find God's definition. When you have determined in your heart, mind, spirit and soul what the meaning is, you might check out Webster's as a comparison - but I recommend that you do not go to Webster's first - it might "influence" your search (without even knowing it.)"
Old 07-30-2009, 03:56 PM

Bro. George,

I am a simple gal and you lost me LoL

But I think I get the jist of what you are saying. I was trying to convey what you were saying to my husband (Bobby) and he agreed at least partially in what you are saying. Evidently he's been in this very same debate before.

Firstly, he recommends the Oxford over the Webster's. But that the Webster's is a good second.

Secondly, he totally agrees with looking in Scripture first agreeing with this point you made:

Quote:
but I recommend that you do not go to Webster's first - it might "influence" your search (without even knowing it.)
Actually he finished my sentence for me!

But, not everyone always has the time to look up every word, reference and meaning in the Bible so that is when he feels a quick look in the dictionary is a great help and it is a rare occasion that the two will disagree. If you always have the time the method you suggest is obviously best but not always practical.

Bro. Schwenke also spoke my husband's third point and that is:

Quote:
If we discuss "ordinances" and Chette thinks "ordinance" means one thing, and I think "ordinance" means something else, but we never agree on a definition of the word, the discussion becomes useless. The dictionary brings us to a point where we should be able to agree on how a word is being used, and then we might be able to get somewhere. Otherwise, we are right back in Judges where everyone does that which is right in his own eyes, because there is no common definition of the words we use.
Be blessed!