Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kns215 View Post
So basically, no matter what nation, race, or culture you are from, just follow the Bible.. and there you go, no problem will occur whatsoever?

Quote:
I could be very "misinformed" in this issue, and I am definitely open for the final answer based on the Scripture.
Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
Colossians 3:11 Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.
The point being that "nationality" or "race" is not a factor at all in Christ. Why make it a factor in marriage?

There are all sorts of things that make people good matches for each other; things about a man that will make him a good husband and things about a woman that will make her a good wife. But bringing race or nationality into it and saying it's either "wrong or right" because of an outward thing like that is the wrong thing to do.

Last edited by Diligent; 06-03-2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Clarification
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 06-03-2009, 02:27 PM

Galatians 3:28 "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus."

The context here is not about marriage at all. It is talking about us being one in Christ, no matter if we're Jew, Greek, man, woman, etc.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:33 PM

I am sorry for not being clear, bro Brendon.
I meant that "Is it guaranteed that those major/minor problems that are usually caused by differences in race, nation, or culture will not occur, as long as the house has the Bible as final authority?"

But I got the answer and thank you for explaining it further.

Edit: Sorry for another question. Would this issue be doctrinal issue or just general issue in Christian "lifestyle"?
Old 06-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody1611 View Post
Galatians 3:28 "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus."

The context here is not about marriage at all. It is talking about us being one in Christ, no matter if we're Jew, Greek, man, woman, etc.
And the point is, that the Old Testament Laws about the Jews not going outside of their nation to marry are irrelevant to we in Christ. You can make a good case that a Christian should not marry a non-Christian (though you would be hard pressed to prove it is forbidden). What you can not do is take commandments to the Jews about staying in their own nation twist them to say that an American man with white skin can not marry an American woman with brown skin.

Where do you find Paul say anything about making skin color an issue of marriage? He never does. Ruckman is a poor substitute for Paul on this topic. Long-held bigotries do not a sound doctrine make. The Bible does not even mention "race mixing" once that I can think of, and here you are, telling people they have to pass up a spouse just because they look different. Why is it so important to you or anyone else what color someone's spouse is? You don't get it from Scripture.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:

Cody, where is the Scripture that says skin color, a fold of skin over the eyelid, facial features, nationality, is a marker for judging who you can marry, associate with, let in your church, etc.?

Grace and peace

Tony
Old 06-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kns215 View Post
I am sorry for not being clear, bro Brendon.
I meant that "Is it guaranteed that those major/minor problems that are usually caused by differences in race, nation, or culture will not occur, as long as the house has the Bible as final authority?"
What problems are those? I have a hunch that the problems you are thinking of are cultural, not "racial."

I can not think of anything that makes a black man incompatible with a white woman in a marriage before God. They can be one flesh. They can submit themselves to Christ. The woman can submit herself to her husband, and the husband can love his wife. What's their skin color got to do with it?

Even cultural issues are not "deal breakers." As I implied before, I think a Christian American man will have an easier time finding a wife willing to submit herself to him in a different culture. American culture teaches the lie that men and woman are no different in their roles. Despite other problems in other cultures, there are still cultures left where the difference between a man and a woman is understood and respected. This, to me, would be a far bigger issue than how dark her skin is.

Quote:
Edit: Sorry for another question. Would this issue be doctrinal issue or just general issue in Christian "lifestyle"?
There is no "doctrine" of "race mixing" in the Bible. People who want to make color a disqualification in marriage are inventing a doctrine that doesn't exist.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:46 PM

Acts 17:26 "And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;"

This scripture right here is in the NT. I just think God made different races for a reason and I don't think we should mix races. I'm not dogmatic about this and I don't believe this because Dr. Ruckman teaches it. Once again, if you married someone outside your race. I don't look down on you at all, nor do I think God is against you. This is just my view on the subject.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:57 PM

Default Re: "Love & Race"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassy View Post
I have a question regarding 2 different races marrying.

I know a married couple where one is black and one is white - and they love each other and, most of all, they love God. The Lord is FIRST in their marriage.

Another Christian friend of mine says that is totally UNbiblical - that God DIVIDED the races and never wanted intermarriage.

In these days of the internet, with people meeting online, it's much more likely that this may happen. Is it wrong?

Can anyone address this topic and tell me what the truth is?

Jassy

Aloha sister Jassy,

Most of the "ideas" of not marrying people of another "color", "race", or "culture" come from either mixing up God's requirements for the Israelites - not to marry the Pagan idol-worshiping women of the land of Canaan {requirements meant for the Nation of Israel, i.e. Jews/Hebrews - NOT Christians, who are all brothers and sisters in Christ, regardless of their race, culture, or color of their skin.}, or some "Christian" pastors and teachers teaching discrimination against certain people because of their own (pastors/teachers) "cultural" upbringing.

This is just one more issue meant to DIVIDE Christian brethren from each other. Please check out this Thread on "Interracial marriage" on the A.V. 1611 Bible Forums in addition to the "Thread" that Brandon listed:

http://av1611.com/forums/showthread....1530#post11530

There was an acrimonious exchange on this Thread between myself and a young woman (who was a new believer) who had accepted the teachings of brother Peter Ruckman on this issue and who then took those teachings to the extreme (as many of brother Ruckman's followers sometimes do).

Lets examine the issue:

Although Jacob married his "kin" - his choice for a wife (RACHEL) was an idol-worshipper ("purity" of color, race, & culture didn't seem to matter) and please NOTICE: God chose the Priest's (Levi) and the King's (Judah) from the offspring of Jacob & LEAH (Jacob's SECOND WIFE - and NOT the wife of his choosing!).

That's the Bible record, do you think that we Christian men should have "two wives" at once (just in case things don't work out with the first? ). Do you see how someone can twist and wrest the Scriptures to their own destruction?

Joseph married Asenath outside of his "race" & "culture" (with no condemnation from God).

Moses married Zipporah outside of his "race" & "culture" (with no condemnation from God).

Salmon (Boaz's father) married Rachab (an harlot!) outside of his "race" & "culture" (with no condemnation from God).

Boaz married Ruth outside of his "race" & "culture" - (a Moabitess, who had a Book in the Bible named after her - One of only two Books in the Bible named after a woman - imagine that!).

David married Bathsheba (within his "race" & "culture") - for whom he committed adultery and murder (and yet God still gave the kingdom to Solomon - their offspring).

The Prophet Hosea was commanded by the Lord to marry an adulteress (an harlot) - would that mean that Christian men should do the same? You see the trouble people get in when they don't "discern" between the "Jew", the "Gentile", and the "church"?

THE CHURCH OF GOD:

Galatians 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Colossians 3:1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.
5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:
6 For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:
7 In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.
8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:
11 Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.

Do you think that God cares that much about the color of a person's skin, or their "race" (whatever that is), or their "culture", as much as He cares about their heart, and their soul? I trow not!

This "teaching" about "races" and "cultures" is NOT sound Biblical doctrine for this age that we live in. It was sound doctrine for the Jews/Hebrews/Israelites when they came into the land of Canaan after they conquered it.

Please read my Posts in the Thread I gave you the link to.

"Mixed" - cultural and "race" marriages are not EASY, there are a lot of "problems" and "pitfalls", some that are common to all marriages, and some that are specific to a "mixed" marriage. But all of those problems and pitfalls stem from cultural and racial prejudices and biases - NOT from God's "disapproval" of of the joining together of two "different" people from two "different" cultural and "racial" backgrounds.

I speak on this subject with some authority, since I have been married to a Filipina woman (of another "race"; another "color"; and another culture, and in addition who was 17 years of age when we married, and was a Catholic to boot!) for over 48 years now, and God has blessed our union with seven children; 17 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

If it's "TRUE LOVE" based in God's word it will "work out" [Romans 8:28]. If it's not - all of the "SAFEGUARD'S" (the correct "color", "race", and "culture") in the world won't matter!
Old 06-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Acts 17:26 "And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;"

This scripture right here is in the NT. I just think God made different races for a reason and I don't think we should mix races. I'm not dogmatic about this and I don't believe this because Dr. Ruckman teaches it. Once again, if you married someone outside your race. I don't look down on you at all, nor do I think God is against you. This is just my view on the subject.
If you are going to take this verse and apply it the way you are, do you support sending White Americans into Black African countries to be missionaries? Aren't they breaking the "bounds of their habitation?"

And what do you tell someone who is "mixed?" Where is their "habitation?"

And what does this have to do with race? You say race. The verse you quote didn't say race. You say it's in the NT. But it's not there. The word "race" in the Bible is always about running. Where do you get your concept of race? Do you get it from the Bible or did you get it from Darwin?

When you look at this verse and say it disqualifies someone for marriage, why do you look at skin color instead of a geopolitical map? Can a German marry a Britain? Can native South African marry someone born in Zimbabwe? My guess is you're thinking about the color of their skin and not the boundaries of their nations. And yet you run to this verse to prove that people who look different shouldn't get married.

This verse doesn't even teach that it is wrong for someone to migrate, and here you are, saying it teaches it is wrong to go "outside of your race" for a spouse. You're pointing to a verse that doesn't say diddly about race, and not only that, it doesn't even have a commandment in all its syllables, but somehow, you find a commandment about marriage in it! And when Paul himself says that these nations mean nothing in Christ, you shrug it off and go to Darwin for a better definition of humankind than the one the Bible gives us.

Rant over.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
?"
And what do you tell someone who is "mixed?" Where is their "habitation?"
Now that's a good question.
I think they are still trying to figure out where Obama came from.