Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:26 PM

Default Interpretation of John 1:12

I want to get your ideas on the reading of John 1:12; if you think it is saying that receiving Jesus precedes the belief required for salvation and that God gives the power to believe after people receive Jesus.
KJV: But as many as received him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them who believe on his name.
NIV: Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God.
ESV: But to all who did receive Him, who believed on His name, He gave the right to become children of God.
NASB: But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe on His name.
It seems to me that the KJV and the NASB are saying something different than the NIV and ESV. The NIV and ESV are saying that receiving and believing are the same thing. I think, but am not positively sure, that the KJV is assuming a difference between reception and belief. If so, this would be a verse to be included in the differences between Bible versions.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 06-30-2009, 10:53 PM

I don't think the ESV equates receiving and believing. The ESV Study Bible entry for this verse is as follows:

John 1:12–13 Receive him implies not merely intellectual agreement with some facts about Jesus but also welcoming and submitting to him in a personal relationship. “Believed in” (Gk. pisteuō eis) implies personal trust. His name refers to all that is true about him, and therefore the totality of his person. Born, not of blood . . . , but of God makes clear that neither physical birth nor ethnic descent nor human effort can make people children of God, but only God's supernatural work (8:41–47; cf. 3:16). This extends the possibility of becoming God's children to Gentiles and not just Jews (11:51–52; cf. 10:16). See also 3:3–8. To all . . . who believed . . . he gave the right indicates that saving faith precedes becoming members of God's family through adoption as his children.

AMR
Old 07-02-2009, 03:33 AM

Keep in mind that receiving can quite often mean believing something as it is given to you. Here are some examples.

1 Thessalonians 1:6

6And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost.

1 Thessalonians 2:13

13For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

Acts 2:33

33Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

Acts 2:41

41Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Acts 8:14

14Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:

There are far far more examples, but these should do enough to prove my point.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmonk View Post
Keep in mind that receiving can quite often mean believing something as it is given to you. Here are some examples.

1 Thessalonians 1:6

6And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost.

1 Thessalonians 2:13

13For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

Acts 2:33

33Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

Acts 2:41

41Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Acts 8:14

14Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:

There are far far more examples, but these should do enough to prove my point.
I agree with Monk here, "receiving", believing, accepting, are all tied inseparably together. The Thessalonians "received" the word of God, accepted it and believed it to be the word of God, not the word of men, and I think is the passages that cross-refers to this verse in John perfectly.

Grace and peace

Tony
Old 07-05-2009, 03:37 PM

Default John 1:12

Thanks for the responses. The places in the Bible where I find receiving separated from believing are in reference to unbelievers: In the parable of the seeds (Matt. 13:20,21 & Mark 4: 16,17), the stony ground represents people who have received the word with joy but didn't persevere and therefore wouldn't have had saving belief.
Hebrews 10:26: For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins.
Hebrews 10:38,39: Now the just shall live by faith; but if any man draw back my soul shall have no pleasure in him. But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.
These verses appear to either separate believing from receiving or indicate that it is possible to either lose or reject salvation. The "drawing back" in Hebrews 10:39 looks to me like something done prior to, or instead of, believing.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:09 PM

This is written to Israel primarily. they were Israelite's by birth but not sons of God by birth as they were supposed to be. that is why in chapter three Jesus tells them unless a man be born again. Israelite's needed to be born again to be sons of God rightfully hence the next verse John 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.