Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
I think they know that once they believe on Christ there will not need to be sacrifice for sin. as far as oblations, honors and other types of sacrificial events we will have to wait to see.

The first 3 1 /2 years in Tribulation a majority of Jews will believe the anti-christ is the Messiah. when he pollutes the temple with what I believe a human sacrifice, then they will know who he is and then there will be a fleeing from Jerusalem.

Then they as a nation will believe on Jesus Christ

yeah I have been trying to clarify better what a essential doctrine and what a general teaching (doctrine) is.
Hmm, interesting. A human sacrifice. I'd never thought of that, and it sure seems like it would classify as an abomation.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 02-18-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanos View Post
Hmm, interesting. A human sacrifice. I'd never thought of that, and it sure seems like it would classify as an abomation.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Well don't forget Jepthah's sacrifice in Judges 11; God didn't seem to think that was an abomination.

It was, however, in keeping with a vow that he had made unto the Lord, so perhaps the situation would be different.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1171611 View Post
Well don't forget Jepthah's sacrifice in Judges 11; God didn't seem to think that was an abomination.
How do you know that?
Old 02-18-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
How do you know that?
Well if the sacrifice that Jepthah made was an abomination, don't you think God would have killed him like He did anyone else who committed abominations? The man made a promise to God and fulfilled it at a great personal sacrifice and it seems from Scripture that God honored it.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Well if the sacrifice that Jepthah made was an abomination, don't you think God would have killed him like He did anyone else who committed abominations? The man made a promise to God and fulfilled it at a great personal sacrifice and it seems from Scripture that God honored it.
Perhaps God honoured it but I can assure you that God took no delight in it.

Also, I don't think God kills everyone that commits abominable sins in Israel. If that was true then you wouldn't ever read passages in Scripture where Sodomites were removed from the land:

And he took away the sodomites out of the land, and removed all the idols that his fathers had made. (1 Kings 15:12 KJV)

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 02-18-2009, 05:56 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Sheesh. Show me where God solicited, required, or honored Jephthah's foolish and hasty vow. I don't think he honored that any more than he honored all of the crazy stuff Samson did.
Deuteronomy 12:31 Thou shalt not do so unto the LORD thy God: for every abomination to the LORD, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods.

The book of Judges (and quite a few others) are full of people doing things that aren't explicitly punished or resolved by God in Scripture. There is nothing in the passage to indicate that God "honored" what Jephthah did.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
Sheesh. Show me where God solicited, required, or honored Jephthah's foolish and hasty vow. I don't think he honored that any more than he honored all of the crazy stuff Samson did.
Deuteronomy 12:31 Thou shalt not do so unto the LORD thy God: for every abomination to the LORD, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods.

The book of Judges (and quite a few others) are full of people doing things that aren't explicitly punished or resolved by God in Scripture. There is nothing in the passage to indicate that God "honored" what Jephthah did.
I think you're right. But I was commenting on him keeping his vow in light of:

When thou shalt vow a vow unto the LORD thy God, thou shalt not slack to pay it: for the LORD thy God will surely require it of thee; and it would be sin in thee. But if thou shalt forbear to vow, it shall be no sin in thee. That which is gone out of thy lips thou shalt keep and perform; even a freewill offering, according as thou hast vowed unto the LORD thy God, which thou hast promised with thy mouth. (Deuteronomy 23:21-23 KJV)

I think the thing to have done would be to perhaps buy her back (like Israel redeems their firstborn), or offer her to the service of the Levites. Then again I don't know how legal that would be.

Peace and Love,
Stephen