Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:22 AM

Default God's thoughts and ways - Isaiah 55:8-9

Isaiah 55:6 Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: 7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. 8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. 9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Verses 8 & 9 are often quoted by preachers and Christians saying that God's thoughts and ways are so much different than man's, but is that really what the verses are saying? God is actually directing this statement at the wicked and unrighteous man of verse 7, and that is who He is making the comparison with. It is applicable to the Christian though?

The Christian is a new creature, being conformed to the image of Christ, having the indwelling holy Spirit, the word of God, and the mind of Christ (1 Cori 2:16). God has revealed both His ways and thoughts to the body of Christ so that we can obey and follow them, and be more like Him.

Perhaps before quoting Isaiah 55:8-9 this should be considered?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 01-26-2009, 06:18 PM

Good point, Matt! I've never thought of it from that angle, but I'll have to come back to this and meditate on the verses!
Old 01-26-2009, 06:51 PM

I've observed believers quoting these verses when they couldn't understand something about God or something He does, and yet I could understand it because I had learned it from the Bible. If Christians would spend more time in the Bible then God wouldn't be so much of a mystery to them, they would know Him better, and they would realise that God's thoughts and ways are spelled out in black and white. Sure, there are times when God's ways are past finding out (Romans 11:33), but that's not what I'm getting at.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:56 PM

Amen Bro. Kiwi; it's not like the Bible is outside of our understanding: we just haven't studied enough and that's why we're "ashamed"!

Ever wonder why Paul constantly said "I would not have ye be ignorant, brethren"? Because, unfailingly, the brethren are ignorant!
Old 01-27-2009, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1171611 View Post
Amen Bro. Kiwi; it's not like the Bible is outside of our understanding: we just haven't studied enough and that's why we're "ashamed"!
And we needeth not to be ashamed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1171611 View Post
Ever wonder why Paul constantly said "I would not have ye be ignorant, brethren"? Because, unfailingly, the brethren are ignorant!
True, good point. This is great sermon material. God will often use repetition in the Bible to highlight important truths that can be ignored, such as "love one another" which is said 13 times in the NT, and "Husbands, love your wives" in Eph 5:25 & Col 3:19.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Christian View Post
[I]The Christian is a new creature, being conformed to the image of Christ, having the indwelling holy Spirit, the word of God, and the mind of Christ (1 Cori 2:16). God has revealed both His ways and thoughts to the body of Christ so that we can obey and follow them, and be more like Him.

Perhaps before quoting Isaiah 55:8-9 this should be considered?
I know this is a post that is a few months old, but I'd still like to add my two cents!

As you read over in 1 Corin 3, right after the verse you mentioned, he says: I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able. For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men? (3:2-3)

I think those verses are important to consider when talking about Isaiah as well. I think it is saying that if we put away the carnal things we will know and understand God better. Putting away the carnal things so God can feed us the meat of His Word and not just the milk. We have the mind of Christ, but the carnal can still deaden our mind.