Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:46 PM

Default "Rightly Dividing" The Book of Acts

Aloha all,

I am starting a new Thread in regards to "rightly dividing" the Book of Acts because I believe the subject to be extremely import in understanding how to rightly divide the word of truth, and the Posts that were made in regards to this subject were "buried" in the Thread on "Water Baptism".

When studying the Scriptures it is always necessary for us to rightly divide “the word of truth”. That means that we must always keep in mind the distinction that the Scriptures make between the JEW; the GENTILE; and the CHURCH {where there is neither Jew nor Greek (i.e. Gentile) –
Galatians 3:28& Colossians 3:11}.

In addition we must always keep in mind that the Bible is not only a Book about “Doctrine” and about “Spiritual” matters, it is also a Book about “History”; and in order to arrive at the “Truth” of Scripture we must always take the “historical context” into consideration when “rightly dividing the word of truth”.

That simply means that we cannot “project” what we “knowNOW (as Christians) back into the “historical setting”. We must accept the written record WHERE, WHEN and HOW we find it, and not make it “say” or “mean” something other than what it says in the “historical context”.

As you read - Ask yourself: WHO is speaking? And to WHOM is he speaking to?
Quote:
Acts 1:1 The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach,
2 Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen: {Only Jews}
3 To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God: {Only Jews}
4 And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me. {Only Jews}
5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. {Only Jews}
6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou
at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? {Only Jews}
7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power. {Only Jews}
8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in
Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. {Only Jews}
9 And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight. {Only Jews}
10 And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; {Only Jews}
11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven. {Only Jews}
12 Then returned they unto
Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey. {Only Jews}
13 And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James. {Only Jews}
14 These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren. {Only Jews}
15 And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples, and said, (the number of names together were about an hundred and twenty,) {Only Jews}
16 Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus. {Only Jews}
17 For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry. {Only Jews}
18 Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out. {Only Jews}
19 And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood. {Only Jews}
20 For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take. {Only Jews}
21 Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, {Only Jews}

22 Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection. {Only Jews}
23 And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias. {Only Jews}
24 And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen, {Only Jews}
25 That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place. {Only Jews}
26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles. {Only Jews}
In order to “set the stage” (so to speak), we have to be aware that what follows in Acts Chapters 2 through 7 is predicated upon the fact that, at the very beginning of the “preaching” of and about Jesus Christ, AFTER His Resurrection and Ascension into Heaven, all those who were doing the “preaching” were Jews (ONLY), and, to begin with, ALL those to whom the “preaching” was directed were also Jews (ONLY) as I shall demonstrate as we go along.

Quote:
Acts 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. {Only Jews}
2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
{Only Jews}
3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
{Only Jews}
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
{Only Jews}
5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
{Only Jews}
6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
{Only Jews}
7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
{Only Jews}
8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
{Only Jews}
9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
{Only Jews}
10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
{Only Jews}
11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.
{Only Jews}
12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?
{Only Jews}
13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.
{Only Jews}
14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them,
Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words: {Only Jews}
15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.
{Only Jews}
16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
{A Hebrew Prophet}
17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
{Only Jews}
18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:
{Only Jews}
19 And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke: {The “Day of the Lord” - Connected to "the time of Jacob's troubles}
20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:
{The “Day of the Lord” - Connected to "the time of Jacob's troubles}
21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved. {The “Day of the Lord” - Connected to "the time of Jacob's troubles}
WHAT HAPPENED? Verses 16 through 18 obviously were “fulfilled” right then (on the day of Pentecost) – BUT WHAT HAPPENED to verses 19 & 20? There is NO Scriptural record of verses 19 & 20 ever having been fulfilled. Was the Prophet Joel MISTAKEN? Was the Apostle Peter MISTAKEN when he quoted ALL of Joel’s prophesy? Did the Holy Spirit lead Peter to say something that wasn’t true; or only “partially” true? {I’m speaking “facetiously” – of course!}

I shall “expound” on WHY verses 19 & 20 were NOT fulfilled; and WHY they WILL be FULFILLED in the FUTURE {later on}
Quote:
22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know: {Only Jews}
This “message” is DIRECTED to WHOM? WHY to - “Ye men of Israel”! If there were any Gentiles around that might of heard the “message”, they would have understood that the Apostle Peter was NOT speaking to them, but to the “men of IsraelONLY!

Don’t forget – The Bible is not only a Book about “doctrine”, and “spiritual things”; it is also a Book on and about “history”. We must keep the “historical setting” in mind, if we are to “rightly divide” God’s words.
Quote:
23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: {Only Jews}
Here is a clear “accusation” (by the Apostle Peter) that the “men of Israel” were responsible for the killing of “Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God” {Does this sound like Paul’s “Gospel” – yet?}
24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.
25 For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:
{A Hebrew King & Prophet}
26 Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:
27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
28 Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.
29 Men and
brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day. {“Men and brethren” = Only Jews}
30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;
31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
{Only Jews}
Is the Apostle Peter “preaching” Christ died for your sins according to the Scriptures; and was buried, and rose again the third day according to the Scriptures? Or is he saying that the “men of Israelkilled “Jesus of Nazareth”, and God has raised Him up?
Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear. {Only Jews}
34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,
{A Hebrew King & Prophet - Prophesying}
35 Until I make thy foes thy footstool.
{A Hebrew King & Prophet - Prophesying }
36 Therefore let
all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ. {Only Jews}
Are we (Christians) “the house of Israel”? Peter is notifying “all the house of Israel” that the “same Jesus” that they CRUCIFIED - is both “LORD” and “CHRIST”! How can this “message” be the “same” as Paul’s “Gospel”? Peter is NOT talking about “Christ dying for our sins”; he is plainly saying that the “man” known as “Jesus of Nazareth”; whom the “men of Israelslew, is “BOTH LORD & CHRIST”! This “message” is meant to convince the nation of Israel that Jesus Christ is the Lord from Heaven and their Messiah.
Quote:
37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? {Men and brethren = Only Jews}
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. {Only Jews}
WHAT HAPPENED to Matthew 28:18-20?
Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Let me ask you: If you have been baptized (in water) – were you baptized “in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins”? And did you receive the Holy Ghost AFTER you were baptized in water? This is what the “Cambellites” (“Church of Christ”) teach; is this “sound doctrine” for a Bible believing Christian?

When I believed on the Lord Jesus Christ and received Him as my personal Saviour in October, 1958 I instantly received “the remission of (my) sins” – WITHOUT getting a toe wet! And I instantly received the “gift” of the Holy Spirit - WITHOUT water Baptism - just exactly like ALL Gentile believers have since the Apostle Peter “opened the door” to the Gentiles long ago [Acts 10:34-48]. It should be clear to most people reading these verses that “something else” is going on here; and that clearly the water “Baptism” practiced here is NOT the “SAME” as the water “Baptism” practiced by the Apostle Paul; and the “message” (“gospel”) that the Apostle Peter is preaching here is NOT the “SAME Gospel” that the Apostle Paul preached.
Quote:
39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call. {Only Jews}
40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
{Only Jews}
41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
{All Jews or Jewish Proselytes}
42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.
44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.
46 And they, continuing daily with one accord
in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, {All Jews or Jewish Proselytes}
47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
Now, just exactly WHAT were these people (Jews & Proselytes) required to believe and do (at this point in time)?

Were they told the Apostle Paul’s “Gospel”?

Acts 16:30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Or were they told Peter’s “gospel”?
37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Since the words spoken by the two Apostles are NOT the SAME, it is obvious that the two “Gospels” clearly are NOT the “SAME”. In order for anyone to get “saved” today they MUST BELIEVE on the Lord Jesus Christ and RECEIVE Him as their Saviour. In order for those Jews & Proselytes to get “saved” at Pentecost, they had to BELIEVE that “Jesus of Nazareth” was both their Lord & Messiah; and "REPENT" (for refusing to believe Christ (His words); for refusing to receive Christ as Lord and King; for delivering Him up; for denying Him; and for killing Him), and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins. And if they OBEYED Peter’s command they received “the gift of the Holy Ghost”.

A man’s Salvation (under any “covenant”) has always been dependent upon BELIEVING what God has said (at that time), and OBEYING (DOING) what he said.

If we will just believe what is written and where it is written, and keep in mind - WHO is speaking, and to WHOM he is speaking, much of Scripture becomes understandable.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-29-2009, 04:00 PM

Default Re: "Rightly Dividing" The Book of Acts Part II

Aloha all,

This is the second in a series of studies on "Rightly Dividing the Book of Acts":

When studying the Scriptures it is always necessary for us to rightly divide “the word of truth”. That means that we must always keep in mind the distinction that the Scriptures make between the JEW; the GENTILE; and the CHURCH {where there is neither Jew nor Greek (i.e. Gentile) – Galatians 3:28& Colossians 3:11}.

In addition we must always keep in mind that the Bible is not only a Book about “Doctrine” and about “Spiritual” matters, it is also a Book about “History”; and in order to arrive at the “Truth” of Scripture we must always take the “historical context” into consideration when “rightly dividing the word of truth”.

That simply means that we cannot “project” what we “knowNOW (as Christians) back into the “historical setting”. We must accept the written record WHERE, WHEN and HOW we find it, and not make it “say” or “mean” something other than what it says in the “historical context”.

Quote:
Acts 3:1 Now Peter and John went up together into the temple at the hour of prayer, being the ninth hour. {Only Jews}
2 And a certain man lame from his mother's womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms of them that entered into the temple;
{Only Jews}
3 Who seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple asked an alms.
{Only Jews}
4 And Peter, fastening his eyes upon him with John, said, Look on us.
{Only Jews}
5 And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive something of them.
{Only Jews}
6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazarethrise up and walk. {Only Jews}Do Christians refer to the Lord Jesus Christ as “Jesus Christ of Nazareth”? WHY NOT?
7 And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ancle bones received strength.
{Only Jews}
8 And he leaping up stood, and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking, and leaping, and praising God.
{Only Jews}
9 And all the people saw him walking and praising God: {Only Jews}
10 And they knew that it was he which sat for alms at the Beautiful gate of the temple: and they were filled with wonder and amazement at that which had happened unto him.
{Only Jews}
11 And as the lame man which was healed held Peter and John, all the people ran together unto them in the porch that is called Solomon's, greatly wondering.
{Only Jews}
12 And when Peter saw it, he answered unto the people,
Ye men of Israel, why marvel ye at this? or why look ye so earnestly on us, as though by our own power or holiness we had made this man to walk? {Only Jews}
13 The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of
our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go. {Only Jews}
14 But
ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you; {Only Jews}
15 And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.
{Only Jews}
16 And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all. {Only Jews}
17 And now,
brethren, I wot that through ignorance ye did it, as did also your rulers. {Only Jews}

{“Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do . . . . . [Luke 23:34]}

18 But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled. {Only Jews}
19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
{Only Jews}
In verse 19 the Apostle Peter calls for the nation of Israel (all of the Jews & their rulers) to REPENT”?REPENT” of WHAT?}

REPENT - of refusing to believe Christ (His words); REPENT: of refusing to receive Christ - as their Lord and King; REPENT: of delivering Him up; REPENT: of denying Him; and REPENT: of killing Him
Quote:
20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: {Only Jews}
In verse 20 Peter clearly says that “he (God) shall send Jesus Christ”. Did the Lord Jesus Christ come back at that time? Of course not! Then - WHAT HAPPENED?

19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:

Christ’s return was predicated upon the nation of Israel’s “repentance”. IF they “REPENT” – God will send Christ back. IF they refused to “REPENT” and be “converted”, then God had “another plan”:

Acts 28:25 And when they agreed not among themselves, they departed, after that Paul had spoken one word, Well spake the Holy Ghost by Esaias the prophet unto our fathers, {Only Jews}
26 Saying, Go unto this people, and say, Hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and not perceive: {Only Jews}
27 For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. {Only Jews}
28 Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that they will hear it. {The “turning point” – God turns His back on Israel (because of their UNBELIEF) and turns to the Gentiles. This is WHY every where’s that the Apostle Paul went in his 3 missionary journeys – he always went to the JEWS “FIRST” and then to the Gentiles [Romans 1:16, 2:10]}
Quote:
21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began. {Only Jews}
22 For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your
brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you. {Only Jews}
23 And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people. {Only Jews}
24 Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days.
{Only Jews}
25 Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed. {Only Jews}
26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities. {Only Jews}
At this point in time (“historical context”) God has “set up” things so that (had the nation of Israel accepted Peter’s “message” – i.e. the “gospel of the kingdom”), God the Father could havesent Jesus Christ” back. The Lord Jesus Christ could have returned then - at the end of the “Tribulation” (which could have occurred without there ever having been a “church”). That’s WHY the “church of God” was a “MYSTERY”. God had to make a bona fide offer to the nation of Israel (one last time) BEFORE He could legitimately “turn” to the Gentiles so that they (the nation of Israel would be WITHOUT EXCUSE!)

When studying the Bible we must – “rightly divide the word of truth”. If Christians do not “rightly divide”, they will seek to “HARMONIZE” the Holy Scriptures; they will have NO CHOICE.

For the most part – the “lost”
IGNORE the Bible, but sincere Christians must “study to shew themselves approved unto God”, and so basically they have two choices (i.e. “methodologies”) - either they can try to “HARMONIZE’ the Scriptures (i.e. try to make everything fit into ONE MOLD); or they can “RIGHTLY DIVIDE” the Scriptures and try to determine WHERE God wants things to “FIT”.

The Holy Bible instructs us HOW we are to study; [2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.] so there should be no question as to which “methodology” is Scripturally sound and correct.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:10 PM

Default RE: "Rightly Dividing" The Book of Acts Part III

Aloha all,

This is the third in a series of studies on "Rightly Dividing the Book of Acts":

When studying the Scriptures it is always necessary for us to rightly divide “the word of truth”. That means that we must always keep in mind the distinction that the Scriptures make between the JEW; the GENTILE; and the CHURCH {where there is neither Jew nor Greek (i.e. Gentile) – Galatians 3:28& Colossians 3:11}.

Here we are in the fourth Chapter of the Book of Acts and it should be obvious (at least to some) that what is taking place here (in the “historical context”) has NOTHING to do with individual salvation (for both Jew & Greek - as preached and taught by the Apostle Paul (i.e. MY “Gospel”), and everything to do with “all the people of Israel” (Jews/Hebrews/Israelites), that is specifically with the relationship between the Lord Jesus Christ and the Nation of Israel.

Quote:
Acts 4:1 And as they spake unto the people, the priests, and the captain of the temple, and the Sadducees, came upon them, {Only Jews}
Being grieved that they taught the people, and preached through Jesus the resurrection from the dead. {Only Jews}
3 And they laid hands on them, and put them in hold unto the next day: for it was now eventide. {Only Jews}
4 Howbeit many of them which heard the word believed; and the number of the men was about five thousand.
{Only Jews}
5 And it came to pass on the morrow, that their rulers, and elders, and scribes,
{Only Jews}
6 And Annas the high priest, and Caiaphas, and John, and Alexander, and as many as were of the kindred of the high priest, were gathered together at
Jerusalem. {Only Jews}
7 And when they had set them in the midst, they asked, By what power, or by what name, have ye done this?
{Only Jews}
8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel,
{Only Jews}
9 If we this day be examined of the good deed done to the impotent man, by what means he is made whole;
{Only Jews}
10 Be it known unto you all, and to the all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
{Only Jews}
11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
{Only Jews}
12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
{In the “historical context” = Only Jews}
13 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.
{Only Jews}
14 And beholding the man which was healed standing with them, they could say nothing against it.
{Only Jews}
15 But when they had commanded them to go aside out of the council, they conferred among themselves,
{Only Jews}
16 Saying, What shall we do to these men? for that indeed a notable miracle hath been done by them is manifest to all them that dwell in
Jerusalem; and we cannot deny it. {Only Jews}
17 But that it spread no further among the people, let us straitly threaten them, that they speak henceforth to no man in this name.
{Only Jews}
18 And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus.
{Only Jews}
19 But Peter and John answered and said unto them, Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye.
{Only Jews}
20 For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard.
{Only Jews}
21 So when they had further threatened them, they let them go, finding nothing how they might punish them, because of the people: for all men glorified God for that which was done.
{Only Jews}
22 For the man was above forty years old, on whom this miracle of healing was shewed.
{Only Jews}
23 And being let go, they went to their own company, and reported all that the chief priests and elders had said unto them.
{Only Jews}
24 And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is: {Only Jews}
25 Who by the mouth of thy servant David hast said, Why did the heathen rage, and the people imagine vain things?
{David - the people of Israel and Gentiles}
26 The kings of the earth stood up, and the rulers were gathered together against the Lord, and against his Christ.
{the people of Israel and Gentiles}
27 For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together,
28 For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done.
29 And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word,
{Only Jews}
30 By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus.
{Only Jews}
31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.
{Only Jews}
32 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.
{Only Jews}
33 And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.
{Only Jews}
34 Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,
{Only Jews}
35 And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.
{Only Jews}
36 And Joses, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, The son of consolation,) a Levite, and of the country of Cyprus,
{Only Jews}
37 Having land, sold it, and brought the money, and laid it at the apostles' feet.
{Only Jews}
How many more times must we read these “specific” addresses to: “the people of Israel”; “all the people of Israel”; “all the house of Israel”; “their rulers, and elders, and scribes”; “the chief priests and elders”;the people, the priests, and the captain of the temple, and the Sadducees,”; “Ye men of Israel”; “the God of our fathers”; “Men and brethren”; “brethren”; “Ye are the children of the prophets”; “Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel”; before it finally “dawns” on us that the words spoken here are not in regards to the Apostle Paul’s “Gospel”, and certainly cannot be the SAME?

How many more times must we read these “specific” addresses (“to all the house of Israel”) before we realize that the words in the foregoing Chapters of Acts were ADDRESSED specifically BY JEWS and exclusively TO JEWS (“all the people of Israel” - i.e. the nation of Israel) and were in regards to the nation of Israel refusing to believe Christ (His words);refusing to receive Christ – as their Lord and King; and delivering Christ up to the Gentiles; and denying Him; and having Him murdered?

If I “address” a specific Post on this Forum to brother Parish, others may read it – but I “meant” it to be only for him. If I address a specific Post on this Forum to brother Tony, others may “THINK” that I am addressing them, or they may “THINK” I am talking about them - but the fact remains that if I addressed that Post to brother Tony, I meant it to be ONLY for him! If the Apostle Peter used all of these specific addresses (“to all the house of Israel”) all of these times, where do Christians get the idea that these things apply TO them?

With ALL of the SPECIFIC overtures, entreaties, pleas, and adjurations addressed exclusively to “all the house of Israel” by the Apostle Peter in Acts Chapters 2-4 it should be crystal clear to all, that those things spoken of by Peter, cannot possibly be the SAME, as that “Gospel” that the Apostle Paul received (by special “revelation” from the Lord Jesus Christ Himself) AFTER the nation of Israel had rejected Peter’s call (“to all the house of Israel”) to “REPENT” and be “CONVERTED”.

Understanding what took place in these few Chapters should be a simple matter of basic reading comprehension in the English language, WHY is it so difficult to accept exactly WHAT was written; WHERE it was written; and WHEN it was written?
Old 05-30-2009, 01:27 AM

Wow, Great stuff George. I am gonna hang on to this for teaching in the Bible college.

Your studies are such a blessing.

Last edited by chette777; 05-30-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:33 AM

Default Re: "Rightly Dividing The Book of Acts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
Wow, Great stuff George. I am gonna hang on to this for teaching in the Bible college.

Your studies are such a blessing.

Aloha brother Chette,

Here is a partial list of the different “terms” used by the Apostle Peter (in the first 5 Chapters of Acts) to address "the people”. Notice how only one of them (the last one) might be “ambiguous” – ALL of the others (14 out of 15) are clearly addressed to “all the people of Israel”.

Men and brethren = 3 Times

Ye men of Israel = 3 Times

the God of our fathers = 2 Times

Ye men of Judaea = 1 Time

Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel = 1 Time

Ye are the children of the prophets = 1 Time

all the people of Israel = 1 Time

all the house of Israel = 1 Time

unto you, and to your children = 1 Time

all ye that dwell at Jerusalem = 1 Time

It is incredible (to me) that Christian men (pastor/elders/teachers) do not understand the importance of WHO is speaking and to WHOM they are speaking - when "rightly dividing the word of truth".

Last edited by George; 05-30-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:25 AM

you know that was one of the first things I was taught was to always ask who. who is speaking to whom is he speaking. It may be for us but it is not addressed to us. the basic Bible study method is Observation which includes asking who, what, where, when and why. How is also good at times. after those questions are answered then interpret the passage. then get an application if possible for today. Like you said to another person in another thread. there may be a spiritual application for the church but doctrinally it is not for the church.

I pray some of the other guys catch on to this method of Bible study because when they do lots of things fall into place with no conflict or problem. it doesn't put everything into a neat little box or answer all the questions but it makes everything a lot simpler.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:51 PM

Acts 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? {Men and brethren = Only Jews}
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. {Only Jews}
Greetings Brother George. I see the division between the Apostle Peter's Gospel and the Apostle Paul's in Acts. That indeed is obvious when we simply examine the words and receive them as written. Something, by the way, I did not see the importance of doing until joining this Bible forum. Like many, I've always heard that Acts 2:38 means repent and then be baptized for [because] your sins have been remitted. I must confess, I have always been uneasy in my inner man with that explanation. Rightly dividing the book of Acts is, in my opinion, provides a better and clearer explanation.

But what was the significance of baptism in order for the [Jew, Hebrew, Israelite] to have their sins remitted? I understand receiving "the gift of the Holy Ghost" after repentance. But why was baptism significant in order for their sins to be remitted? I realize the simple answer is because that's what the word says. But is there a Biblical connection made elsewhere for repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins specifically for the Jew?
Old 05-30-2009, 01:34 PM

Default Re: ""Rightly Dividing" The Book of Acts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Acts 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? {Men and brethren = Only Jews}
Greetings Brother George. I see the division between the Apostle Peter's Gospel and the Apostle Paul's in Acts. That indeed is obvious when we simply examine the words and receive them as written. Something, by the way, I did not see the importance of doing until joining this Bible forum. Like many, I've always heard that Acts 2:38 means repent and then be baptized for [because] your sins have been remitted. I must confess, I have always been uneasy in my inner man with that explanation. Rightly dividing the book of Acts is, in my opinion, provides a better and clearer explanation.

But what was the significance of baptism in order for the [Jew, Hebrew, Israelite] to have their sins remitted? I understand receiving "the gift of the Holy Ghost" after repentance. But why was baptism significant in order for their sins to be remitted? I realize the simple answer is because that's what the word says. But is there a Biblical connection made elsewhere for repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins specifically for the Jew?

Dear brother Forrest,

I love you in the Lord - BUT you sure make it "hard" on a fellow brother in Christ!

WHY is it - that you ALWAYS ask the toughest questions? I've been "cogitating" on the very same thing that you have asked - WHAT is the "significance" in the differences in water Baptism (BEFORE the cross; AFTER the death, burial, and resurrection - but before the Nation of Israel's "rejection" of the Apostles & their "message"; and AFTER God's "rejection" of the nation of Israel and His turning to the Gentiles?) I believe that they are all "different", but the SIGNIFICANCE of that "difference" - that's another matter for another time, and to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I know the answer. But, since it is always a "challenge" to try to answer your most perceptive questions - I will attempt to answer these questions also, but NOT today.

I have been fighting a cold (or flu?) since Tuesday and need to store up some "energy" for my next challenge.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Dear brother Forrest,

I love you in the Lord - BUT you sure make it "hard" on a fellow brother in Christ!

WHY is it - that you ALWAYS ask the toughest questions? I've been "cogitating" on the very same thing that you have asked - WHAT is the "significance" in the differences in water Baptism (BEFORE the cross; AFTER the death, burial, and resurrection - but before the Nation of Israel's "rejection" of the Apostles & their "message"; and AFTER God's "rejection" of the nation of Israel and His turning to the Gentiles?) I believe that they are all "different", but the SIGNIFICANCE of that "difference" - that's another matter for another time, and to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I know the answer. But, since it is always a "challenge" to try to answer your most perceptive questions - I will attempt to answer these questions also, but NOT today.

I have been fighting a cold (or flu?) since Tuesday and need to store up some "energy" for my next challenge.
Brother, I'm sorry you've been ill. One day...this corruptible will put on incorruption. No hurry on this. God bless you and keep you!
Old 05-30-2009, 06:58 PM

It would seem that baptism for Israel is a work that proved their faith in the word the Apostles spoke of Jesus.

they hear the word and if they believe it then they are to repent, proof of thier repentance is to be baptized, when they get baptized they have the remission of sins (no baptism no remission of sins) then they receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost the promise of thefather.

it is all a work based slavation of the Kingdom