View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 02:09 AM

Default I'm a little troubled by this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKG View Post
What do you think of a pastor's insisting on using wine in the Lord's Supper?

http://www.independencebaptist.org/A...27s_supper.htm
Hi CKG,
I only want to do what the Bible instructs concerning the Lord's Supper, not what any one man may think is correct or incorrect. I have never attended a church were real wine is used. Nor am I interested in past traditions - traditions don't define scripture, scripture defines scripture.

Here are the questions I have pertaining to the topic:

Where does it say in the Bible that wine is the only acceptable liquid for the cup? Does it?

I cannot find any instruction in the Gospels or Epistles that says the cup must be filled with wine. Is it because Jesus drank wine we are also to drink wine and only wine?

Is a believer incorrectly celebrating the Lord's Supper by using grape juice rather than wine? Again, I see Paul's instructions to the Corinthians regarding getting drunk so clearly there was wine involved at the Corinthian church but does that automatically mean we are all to be using wine?

Is the celebration in any way impacted by the contents of the cup? Allow me some latitude here at the risk of sounding disrespecful, but what if the cup was filled with water? Would that be wrong?

To answer your question I'm troubled by this pastor's insistence on using wine. Are those under the age of 21 prevented from celebrating because of this? Or is there some provision that would allow a minor to have a portion of wine if used in a religious ceremony?

But most importantly, what does the Bible teach regarding what is put into the cup?

Harley