View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Kinney View Post
Luke 17:36 Is it inspired Scripture or not?

"Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left." Luke 17:36

Rick Norris and other Bible critics, (none of whom believe that there exists ANY Bible in ANY language that IS the complete, inspired and inerrant words of God) uses his usual “Yeah, hath God said...?” approach to raising doubts about the authenticity of this and many other verses found in our Holy Bible.

Will Kinney
Will, I have the text of the Gospels in western Saxon from 990 AD and 1175 AD, both have the 36th verse of Luke 17:

(Western Saxon 990 AD) Twegen beoð æt æcere. an bið genumen & oðer bið læfed;
(Western Saxon 1175 AD) Twegen byð æt akere an byð ge-numen & oðer beoð lefed.

Personally I can't see any doctrinal reason for the verse being omitted(as in I John 5:7, I Tim. 3:16, etc.), my guess this was just carelessness on somebody's part.

Luke 17 contains an interesting little doctrinal thingy, interesting in the light of the persecution of Galileo and Nicolas Copernicus by Rome in suggesting a centricity to all celestial objects in there makeup and their motion. In Luke 17 Jesus Christ is confirming Isaiah 40:22 in telling us the earth is round:

Luke 17:30 Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.
31 In that day, he which shall be upon the housetop, and his stuff in the house, let him not come down to take it away: and he that is in the field, let him likewise not return back.
32 Remember Lot’s wife.
33 Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it.
34 I tell you, in that night there shall be two men in one bed; the one shall be taken, and the other shall be left.
35 Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
36 Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

Now, how can it be day and night at the same time during an event when Mama Mia, the eartha, she's a flat?

(KJV) Isa 40:22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

(Douay Rheims 1599) It is he that sitteth upon the globe of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as locusts: he that stretcheth out the heavens as nothing, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in.

(Good News Bible) Is. 40:22 It was made by the one who sits on his throne above the earth and beyond the sky; the people below look as tiny as ants. He stretched out the sky like a curtain, like a tent in which to live.

(New American Bible) Is. 40:22 He sits enthroned above the vault of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers; He stretches out the heavens like a veil, spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.

(Contemporary English Version) Is.40:22 God is the one who rules the whole earth, and we that live here are merely insects. He spread out the heavens like a curtain or an open tent.

(NET) Is. 40:22 He is the one who sits on the earth's horizon;
its inhabitants are like grasshoppers before him.
He is the one who stretches out the sky like a thin curtain,
and spreads it out46 like a pitched tent.

After reading 5000 verses or so of the "NET" bible I have come to the conclusion it's probably the worst English translation of Vaticanus I've ever read since The New English Bible of 1970.

I accept Luke 17:36 as given by inspiration of God through the KJV translators and certainly trust Him and them more than Norris or any other Original Manuscript Fraud. Their positions are only propagated due to their high profiles, "celebrity" statuses, and audiences and not arrived at my any scholarship, honest scientific method, or faith(see Edwards Hills LOGIC OF FAITH). Though not directly related to your study on Luke 17:36. while reading it I did notice this is the Jesus Teaches A Round Earth passage which can be cross referred to Is 40:22. I guess my point is there is a Bible out there for every crackpot theory and false belief you want to name. We have the Nazi Bibles that read "new order" in place of "reformation" in Hebrews 9:10, now we also have 5 versions of the bible above for the Flat Earthers!

Good study Will, grace and peace brother.

Tony