View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greektim View Post
...yet you did not offer a reason why the KJV translators decided to transate a plural word as a singular.
They're not the only ones translating plural words as singular.

Steven Avery already mentioned the Hebrew word "shamayim" as a plural word translated as a singular depending on the context.

An example, then I'll make my point.
II Chron. 30:27 ...and their prayer came up to his holy dwelling place, even unto heaven. (the plural used)
It's a plural word, yet without a doubt, the English singular is correct, referencing God's holy habitation. Now...
Isaiah 66:1 Thus saith the LORD, The heaven (the plural used) is my throne, and the earth is my footstool:
Now watch Stephen (the Bible one) translate the word into Greek as a singular.
Acts 7:48-49 Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet: Heaven (the singular word in Greek) is my throne, and earth is my footstool:
Stephen translated a plural Hebrew word into a singular word in Greek and was very right to do so.

There's more.

Sometimes the plural and singular in Greek are used interchangeably yet still reference the same. Notice Stephen again...
Acts 7:55-56 But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven (Gk singular), and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God, And said, Behold, I see the heavens (Gk plural) opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God.
We agree that Stephen was beholding heaven, the 3rd heaven. Now what John writes makes my point. Watch how he records in the kingdom of heaven coming to earth.
Rev. 19:11 And I saw heaven (Gk singular) opened, and behold a white horse;...
...and here comes the King (from the sky as you put it) to sit upon the throne of his glory. (Mt.25:31)

Once more
Mt 6:9-10 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven (Gk plural), Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven (Gk singular).

Who's kingdom is it? and where's the kingdom coming from? It's the kingdom of heaven.