View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandi View Post
Shalom Brethren,

I must say I am surprised and delighted that I seem to be accepted as a sister here, even though you know we have doctrinal differences. I very much appreciate those of you who are praying for my atheist friend as well. I am convinced that the LORD is still working in his heart and life....and yes, it is interesting that he still reads the Bible every day. In fact, he still lists the Bible as his favorite book. I do think he is double minded, with his intellect trying to rule over his spiritual mind. It is like he wants to believe, but his brain won’t let him. He is highly intellectually gifted, has a photographic memory, amazing vocabulary and writing skills, can read pages in seconds, and is like a walking Biblical and theological encyclopedia. Former Bible Quiz champion by the way. No wonder the Enemy has targeted him for destruction. But when he returns....and my confidence is growing that he WILL return, all things will work together for good and he will be quite the erudite apologist for the Biblical faith against Dawkins, etc. AMEN! LET IT BE SO!

As I have been considering all of your helpful comments and looking for internal evidences, and reading the 13th chapter of Hebrews this morning, I am leaning towards thinking that Paul did indeed write the “epistle to the Hebrews”........which is chapter 13. (Interesting that Hebrews has 13 chapters, and Paul is thought of as the 13th apostle.)

The token in every epistle is Paul’s handwriting, not necessarily his name....anyone could forge that. Those who received this epistle would have recognized Paul’s handwriting....and as George mentioned, that familiar word “conscience” would be a clue.

Yet Paul says, “And I beseech you, brethren, suffer the word of exhortation: for I have written a letter unto you in few words.” (13:22).

There is nothing “few words” about the Book of Hebrews!

I believe chapters 1-12 are the “Exhortation” that Paul is recommending, but did not himself write. Another intrinsic clue in Chapter 13 is verse 18: “Pray for us....” Who is the “us.” There is an associate with him who wrote this epistle! Because of persecution, anonymity was prudent, but the recipients would have recognized the author. I wonder if this was written to the Jewish believers in Jerusalem and if the Jerusalem Council (Acts 15) is the rulership (hegemony) mentioned in verses 7, 17, and 24.

Hmm...in re-reading Acts 15, I wonder if Silas could be the author of the exhortation? Any thoughts?
Tandi, we are delighted you accept us as brothers and sisters despite our doctrinal differences also. As I told you, I speak plain and to the point, sometimes, in bleak text over a computer, that can be taken as being condescending and curt. I am not being either. I'm just telling it like it is.

The Scripture I ask you to prayerfully consider regarding our differences are God's words to Tandi, not verses pulled by me to throw at you like rocks or meant to insult you or judge you. I have faith that in the future you will remember these verses as describing you at this point, and that we in this forum, not just I, are here to guide you. You came out of Catholicism becasue you saw it was wrong, and the first place you started reading probably was Genesis 1:1. The first place you should have started was Romans.

My differences with you are that you are putting yourself back under the Law. Jesus Chrost is the end of the Law. The Law was a schoolmaster to bring the Jews to christ You are a Gentile, the Law was never imposed on you or I. The Scriptures below apply to you:

Ro 10:2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.

Ac 18:24 And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus.
25 This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John.
26 And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly.
27 And when he was disposed to pass into Achaia, the brethren wrote, exhorting the disciples to receive him: who, when he was come, helped them much which had believed through grace:
28 For he mightily convinced the Jews, and that publickly, shewing by the scriptures that Jesus was Christ.

Apollos was mighty in the Scriptures when he came to Ephesus.

He was mighty wrong too.

He preached the kingdom of heaven doctrine of John The Baptist, the doctrine taught during Christ's earth;y ministry(Romans 15:8). He was taken and shown the revelation of the mystery of the Body of Christ given to Paul only, and then his ministry really kicked into gear.

Apollos preached the baptism of John and was entirely Scriptural, but completely out of place of the timeline in the unfolding of the progressive gospel of the grace of God. You are entirely Scriptural in your sayings of "keeping Torah". You are only 2000 years too late and teaching it to the wrong group of people(Gentiles). You are as Apollos, your information is "mighty" but incomplete. Now, I have written these things unto you in a calm voice and for you to consider as time goes by. The Messianic/SDA teaching of putting us back under the Law is another gospel and those who preach it are cursed. That is the sum of my differences with you.

Regarding your friend, his intellectual gifts and talents have done nothing for him and been of no effect. He is ever learning and cannot come to the knowledge of the truth:

Ro 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

We are having a discussion in another thread over the doctrine of imputed faith, the verse above is one of the foundation Scriptures for that teaching. God gave your friend a measure of faith but when his own started to fail, then God yanks His faith right out from under us. As long as he insists on Sophistic Gnostic arguments, he'll die in a state of mystery. Faith and belief cannot be separted any more than your heart from your body. Until his belief and faith returns, God will show him nothing. When I contend with an error of Dr. Ruckman's, his hardline cultic followers, the pro-abortion/pro-UFO/born-Baptist-and die-Baptist followers are always quick to point out Dr. Ruckman's 180 IQ, and I have to truthfully reply that I am then at a disadvantage, as mine is only measured and recorded as being 170. Intellectual gifts mean nothing, faith and belief is everything. I'm sure your friend and I could debate and shred each other's arguments. What is left? A whole lot of the confetti of shredded arguments with no knowledge, no understanding, no edification.

Faith and belief are everything.

Silas is a likely candidate but I see Apollos being more knowledgable of Israel, the one with the most knowledge of course is Paul, and I maintain and teach he wrote Hebrews, but I won't slash tires to defend it

Grace and peace to you sister and again, please receive this message in the spirit it was given: Not shredding your beliefs, but that all can come to a knowledge of the truth, the Scriptural truth. I'm working on a resonse to your other message.

Tony