View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 05:41 AM
Tandi

Shalom Brethren,

I must say I am surprised and delighted that I seem to be accepted as a sister here, even though you know we have doctrinal differences. I very much appreciate those of you who are praying for my atheist friend as well. I am convinced that the LORD is still working in his heart and life....and yes, it is interesting that he still reads the Bible every day. In fact, he still lists the Bible as his favorite book. I do think he is double minded, with his intellect trying to rule over his spiritual mind. It is like he wants to believe, but his brain won’t let him. He is highly intellectually gifted, has a photographic memory, amazing vocabulary and writing skills, can read pages in seconds, and is like a walking Biblical and theological encyclopedia. Former Bible Quiz champion by the way. No wonder the Enemy has targeted him for destruction. But when he returns....and my confidence is growing that he WILL return, all things will work together for good and he will be quite the erudite apologist for the Biblical faith against Dawkins, etc. AMEN! LET IT BE SO!

As I have been considering all of your helpful comments and looking for internal evidences, and reading the 13th chapter of Hebrews this morning, I am leaning towards thinking that Paul did indeed write the “epistle to the Hebrews”........which is chapter 13. (Interesting that Hebrews has 13 chapters, and Paul is thought of as the 13th apostle.)

The token in every epistle is Paul’s handwriting, not necessarily his name....anyone could forge that. Those who received this epistle would have recognized Paul’s handwriting....and as George mentioned, that familiar word “conscience” would be a clue.

Yet Paul says, “And I beseech you, brethren, suffer the word of exhortation: for I have written a letter unto you in few words.” (13:22).

There is nothing “few words” about the Book of Hebrews!

I believe chapters 1-12 are the “Exhortation” that Paul is recommending, but did not himself write. Another intrinsic clue in Chapter 13 is verse 18: “Pray for us....” Who is the “us.” There is an associate with him who wrote this epistle! Because of persecution, anonymity was prudent, but the recipients would have recognized the author. I wonder if this was written to the Jewish believers in Jerusalem and if the Jerusalem Council (Acts 15) is the rulership (hegemony) mentioned in verses 7, 17, and 24.

Hmm...in re-reading Acts 15, I wonder if Silas could be the author of the exhortation? Any thoughts?