View Single Post
Old 07-19-2008, 08:30 PM

THE TEXT OF THE ENGLISH BIBLE AS NOW PRINTED BY THE UNIVERSITIES CONSIDERED
WITH REFERENCE TO A REPORT BY A SUB-COMMITTEE
OF DISSENTING MINISTERS.
BY THOMAS TURTON, D.D.
1833, CAMBRIDGE

Says:

"Let me take this opportunity to state, as my deliberate opinion, that the Text of 1611 is, in consequence of its incorrectness, quite unworthy to be considered as the Standard of the Bibles now printed; and to express my conscientious belief, that to revert to that Text, as the Standard, would be productive of serious evils."

"For accuracy of printing, the Oxford edition of 1769, superintended by Dr Blayney, Regius Professor of Hebrew, at Oxford, is much esteemed."

Concerning italics: "when a translation, from Hebrew or Greek into English, is attempted, it is frequently quite impossible to convey, to the English reader, the full signification of the Original, without employing more words than the Original contains. When therefore our Translators distinguished particular words in the manner already described, they did not intend to indicate any deviation from the purport of the Original any diminution of its force. Their first object undoubtedly was to express in intelligible English what they believed to be the full signification of a sentence".

Look at 1 Samuel 2:3,

"Talk no more so exceeding proudly; let not arrogancy come out of your mouth ..."

Now, what error would be done by eliminating the italic word out of that statement!