View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 06:32 AM

Location: Colorado, a beautiful state with four distinct seasons; sometimes in the same day!
Default God's book - the King James Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmonk View Post
Will Kinney ".......and that the KJB's use of mansion supposedly came from the Latin Vulgate..............."

John 14:2 in domo Patris mei mansiones multae sunt si quo minus dixissem vobis quia vado parare vobis locum

Actually it did come from Latin, not just the Vulgate. While neither the KJV nor MV's are wrong here it is a big misunderstanding of the definition of mansion 400 years ago vs now.

I'm a little confused Will, I'm pretty sure your taking a KJV defense standpoint obviously. But are you counter-attacking MV's or just defending the use of "mansions" in the KJV? Honest question here since your article changes its tone back and forth.

Yes people do get that word confused or just don't know the proper definition. I have heard this myself in Churches my whole life. I promise you all I'm telling the truth here, having heard this confusion myself preached to near heresy. A pastor going on in his sermon about getting a "big ole mansion in Heaven". This is a good case where KJVO and KJV preferred's need to promote the proper understanding of the English in the KJV.
Hi M. Mr. Kutilek's article was clearly suggesting that the word 'mansion' came from the Latin and was implying that this was a bad thing.(What a joke), and that the word mansion was not only misunderstood but wrong. I obviously disagree with him.

My response to Kutilek's article was twofold, and you picked up on both. One was to show that the word "mansions" is not wrong, and in fact is preferred. (Luxurious living accommodations in the Father's house, i.e. a mansion - is to be preferred to just an "abode" or a "room".

And secondly, to show that every single King James Bible critic or even those who recommend other versions of the Bible, do not believe in the doctrine nor the reality of an inerrant, inspired and 100% true Holy Bible in ANY language. I suspect you are to be included in this later category, right?

I hope that answers your questions.

Will K